76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2016, 20:14   #3436
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
What's everyone's opinion on Manappuram Finance. The stock is down almost 30% this month, although still up 150% YTD. I feel like the company is doing decently and once this whole dust settles down, it's got to grow. The results were decent this quarter and they're anyway looking to go beyond gold.
I am adding onto my current holdings on this counter. I have been bullish, from when it was around 10 bucks couple of years back. The rationale was very simple as they used to pay INR .45 every quarter. Back then, at INR 1.8/- dividend and dividend payout ratio being higher than bank fixed rate, it was a no brainer.

Now business wise, they are diversifying into housing and vehicle finance. Considering the recent upsides on NBFC counters, my gut feel, this would do good going ahead. The recent moves towards cashless economy would also do good for this counter.

Disclosure: I have significant holding on this counter.
Old 1st December 2016, 23:08   #3437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
7.Once the money starts rolling "Live Life Kingsize" :-)
If you are still in the business, how did it turn out, Jimmy_u?
Old 8th December 2016, 11:03   #3438
J.Ravi

Just a few minutes ago, I booked profit 100 CAIRN @ ₹ 261 after holding them for more than 1½ years.

Old 8th December 2016, 11:14   #3439
Senior - BHPian

Most of the gold finance industry has pretty shady criminal etc links and mostly runs on not very well accounted money.

Demonetization will have hit them at least temporarily.

And even then there are unforeseen (or is it foreseen) business risks like this for them - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...uthoot-george/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am adding onto my current holdings on this counter. I have been bullish, from when it was around 10 bucks couple of years back. The rationale was very simple as they used to pay INR .45 every quarter. Back then, at INR 1.8/- dividend and dividend payout ratio being higher than bank fixed rate, it was a no brainer.

Now business wise, they are diversifying into housing and vehicle finance. Considering the recent upsides on NBFC counters, my gut feel, this would do good going ahead. The recent moves towards cashless economy would also do good for this counter.

Disclosure: I have significant holding on this counter.
Old 8th December 2016, 12:48   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Most of the gold finance industry has pretty shady criminal etc links and mostly runs on not very well accounted money.

Demonetization will have hit them at least temporarily.

And even then there are unforeseen (or is it foreseen) business risks like this for them - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...uthoot-george/
In the last 5-6 years, rural folk in Kerala have benefited from surging real estate prices, gold finance and easy loans from District Cooperative Banks (DCC).

Whereas once women would flaunt heavy gold ornaments, these days hardly anyone there wears any gold. When she attended a wedding over a year ago, my wife was astonished by the lack of gold among the guests, she asked a few and they all claimed they don't wear gold for security reasons. She later found the real reason is that most of them have pawned the gold to gold finance companies.

These days real estate prices in Kerala have crashed. There is hardly any sale or purchase of even prime property, I know at least two sales in their final stages that have fizzled, one a prime property on the Ernakulam bypass, the other a resort location in Alleppey. DCCs are unable to accept old notes and it appears the government or the RBI may act on them. It thus appears that not many customers would be able to pay their loans.

If one looks at the physical presence of Muthoot Finance, they are concentrated in Kerala and have few branches mostly in other southern states. So we are talking about a whole lot of geographical risk, business risk, repayment risk, etc. Kerala has had many entrepreneurs with stellar reputations who have gone from boom to bust in less than a decade. Muthoot wants to branch off into retail loans, but that is a whole another cup of tea where bigger established companies have a significant presence. As such, I would be very wary of Muthoot Finance, Mannapuram Finance and other gold finance companies.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 8th December 2016 at 12:49.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:52   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Spotted on a portal few days back. Why give advice of 'Buy' as well as 'Sell' on same stock?

Do you play the stock market-mc_stockadvice.png
Old 8th December 2016, 15:19   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Spotted on a portal few days back. Why give advice of 'Buy' as well as 'Sell' on same stock?
That's advice from two different analysts, not CNBC TV18. On second glance given that both target prices are higher, I think maybe they made a mistake on the first one to tag it as "Sell" instead of "Buy".

In any case, I don't find any of their outside analysts trustworthy. However research reports posted on that website from various brokerages are sometimes exceptionally good.
Old 8th December 2016, 16:18   #3443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
As such, I would be very wary of Muthoot Finance, Mannapuram Finance and other gold finance companies.
I agree with you. I am not all comfortable investing in gold backed finance companies. Actually, I am not keen on the entire NBFC sector as in my opinion, the valuations are too demanding.
Old 14th December 2016, 13:05   #3444
J.Ravi

Added 100 COALINDIA @ ₹ 295 each at 12:36 pm today.

Old 15th December 2016, 10:28   #3445
BHPian

Could we have two demat accounts like one each in zerodha and ICICIDirect, but linked to the same PAN but different bank accounts?

Please advise.
Old 15th December 2016, 10:33   #3446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could we have two demat accounts like one each in zerodha and ICICIDirect, but linked to the same PAN but different bank accounts?
No issues with that. I use ICICIDirect for long term investing and Zerodha for trading in F&O segment.
Old 15th December 2016, 13:18   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
No issues with that. I use ICICIDirect for long term investing and Zerodha for trading in F&O segment.
How do we manage the OTP authentication, if one is overseas.
Are there any workarounds for this? Would any bank accept email authentication?

Please advise.
Old 15th December 2016, 13:28   #3448
J.Ravi

Quote:
How do we manage the OTP authentication, if one is overseas.
I get OTP both in my phone as well as in email from Kotak Securities for my trading account access. However, for opening demat/trading account, verification of address and signatures in hard copies of tripartite agreement/application forms are required, I think.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th December 2016 at 13:34.

Old 15th December 2016, 15:15   #3449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Is Zerodha NOT good for regular(buy and hold for less than a year or year+) stock investment? I would be NOT much in F&O or options.

Last edited by JMaruru : 15th December 2016 at 15:17.
Old 15th December 2016, 15:23   #3450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is Zerodha NOT good for regular(buy and hold for less than a year or year+) stock investment? I would be NOT much in F&O or options.
Nothing like that. I just want to keep investment portfolio in one account and trading portfolio in another.

Zerodha is highly profitable. No fund safety issues as such. There is no brokerage charges when you do buy and hold investing with Zerodha (they make all their money from trading clients)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks