26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 553 44.81%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 202 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.56%
Voters: 1234. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2023, 17:36   #5281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Does anyone know the record date for ITC share holders, for receiving ITC hotel shares at the specified ratio? Was any such date announced or is it still in the future?
Old 10th October 2023, 19:09   #5282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Does anyone know the record date for ITC share holders, for receiving ITC hotel shares at the specified ratio? Was any such date announced or is it still in the future?
The tentative plan was 15 months I think
Old 24th October 2023, 21:00   #5283
BHPian

Yesterday was the worst single day loss ever for me.

I somehow became greedy and put a lot of money out of the Icicib22 I was holding into small caps and bang!
MT_Hyderabad is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 18:04   #5284
Team-BHP Support

Valueresearchonline.com now has star ratings for stocks too:

Do you play the stock market-whatsapp-image-20240101-17.29.14_b73f2a80.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:12   #5285
BHPian

I have been investor in stoks past 30 yrs.I am a long term investor. I stay invested and forget about selling few companies shares. Though there are few stocks in which I enter and exit within 3/4 yrs.

The maximum returns I have earned is by staying invested in big companies for more than15 yrs. Examples are TCS, Maruti, ICICI, Rallis , CRISIL and few such companies. Accumulated profits have surpassed all my trading account shares. These are the only shares which for me have created wealth.

With time , I prefer to focus in few good companies and put my hard earned money which now also is retirement plan for next 15yrs. My next long term bet is TATA’s NELCO. I strongly believe SATCOM is a next big space with all the big players entering such as Elon Musk’ Starlink, Amazon , Jio, Airtel(one web) etc. Satellite communication will only grow from here and will be an regular / parallel solution in may be 5/10 yrs.
Satkaj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 16:23   #5286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Valueresearchonline.com now has star ratings for stocks too:

Attachment 2552701
I noticed this too.
Any expert opinion on how good/realistic/correct these ratings are?
Somehow I feel VRO is not very good with MF ratings. This is my personal opinion and I may be wrong.
VaibhaoT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 16:49   #5287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
I noticed this too. Any expert opinion on how good/realistic/correct these ratings are?
Good enough. They seem to be "going by the book" with respect to stock valuations -> PE Ratio, dividend yield, RoE, debt to equity ratio, past growth rate etc are being used to value/rate stocks.
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...g-methodology/

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th January 2024 at 16:54.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 12:31   #5288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
I noticed this too.
Any expert opinion on how good/realistic/correct these ratings are?
Somehow I feel VRO is not very good with MF ratings. This is my personal opinion and I may be wrong.
I would say VRO MF ratings are still decent, not great.
I find morningstar ratings to better.

Stock ratings seem to a pretty juveline effort to attract more eyeballs to their website, seems like a joke to me.
adimicra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 12:42   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest a few stocks for a youngster newly employed with a new dmat account. IMO five or six will be sufficient. Just to buy and accumulate in small quantities every month for a fixed sum. Not for trading, time frame intended is > ten years. I am thinking of suggesting ITC and Infosys.

A few mutual fund suggestions too will be appreciated. I am not in to MFs. I am a term deposit man, with some money in stocks.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 14:11   #5290
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with HDFC SKY? I was looking to open an account as they have the option of investing in US stocks as well. And I am very happy with their pricing structure which is comparable to the other discount brokers available today.
Old 5th January 2024, 20:16   #5291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOnSpeed View Post
Does anyone have any experience with HDFC SKY? I was looking to open an account as they have the option of investing in US stocks as well. And I am very happy with their pricing structure which is comparable to the other discount brokers available today.
Do check out https://www.indiainxga.com - this is just a wrapper to International Brokers.
Their charges are also quite low (if one makes the forex transfer via partner banks like ICICI/Kotak), the margin rate was 0.5 for the remittance and IIRC a flat fee of 1$per trade and no annual charges.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 20:28   #5292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Do check out https://www.indiainxga.com - this is just a wrapper to International Brokers. Their charges are also quite low (if one makes the forex transfer via partner banks like ICICI/Kotak), the margin rate was 0.5 for the remittance and IIRC a flat fee of 1$per trade and no annual charges.
What do you mean by "margin rate" of 0.5%?

The biggest roadblock is forex charges. Can you check how much it is after taxes? Typically the fees can be as high as 1.5% all inclusive. And if you withdraw, that another 1.5%.

So we straight away start with approx 3% hurdle before we earning returns.

If they are publishing forex charges as 0.5%, then they might not be giving you the correct rates. If one $ equals Rs. 83.14 right now, they might consider a lower rate while withdrawing & higher rate while transferring!

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th January 2024 at 21:19.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 21:32   #5293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
What do you mean by "margin rate" of 0.5%?
The biggest roadblock is forex charges. Can you check how much it is after taxes? If you transfer $10,000, typically the fees can be as high as 1.5% all inclusive. And if you withdraw, that another 1.5%.

So we straight away start with approx 3% hurdle before we earning returns.

If they are publishing forex charges are 0.5%, then they might not be giving you the correct rates. If one $ equals Rs. 83.14 right now, they might consider a lower rate while withdrawing & higher rate while transferring!
This was one of the reasons I had held back in directly investing overseas the INXGA option changed my mind - do note that this lower forex charges is ONLY for select banks and for the conversion to $.

For the INXGA, I've used ICICI as my bank, and have seen that there are no fixed charges and the margin is 0.6.

See the illustration from the site for a 1000$ transfer with a fixed rate of 200+margin rate of 0.5
Do you play the stock market-2024_01_05_20_47_41_ga_faq_final.pdf..png

Do note, I have not made any remittance AFTER the TCS kicked in towards end of 2023.
The exchange rates for these remittances were the same as published by the bank (in my case ICICI, via their Money2World).
AFIK, there was always a difference in the buy and sell rates, the same rates were applied for the remittances I'd made.

The point you make on the dual charges (while remitting IN & OUT) is very valid, and my hope has been that the Re-$ inflation plus the accrued dividends would cover them comfortably. Especially so in my case since I would probably not liquidate my holdings for some years to come, unless the Govt makes it even more difficult to invest overseas.

I have not made a sale yet in via this broker, so no experience with the inward remittance rates (for some earlier inward remittances IIRC came to approx 1k + ~2% of the transaction, due to the spread between the buy and sell rates - the banker was HDFC).
Some companies were priced at rates that were far too enticing to ignore, hence I took the plunge - i spite of my reservations w.r.t the tax filing nuisance and the potential overhead costs.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 10:13   #5294
BHPian

IPO god decided to bless me with MediAssist. My last successful application might have been years back.

Its full OFS issue. They have a decent balance sheet and they didn't need IPO for raising funds to run business. I applied because I was really surprised to read that TPA gets 3-4% of the premium. IMO, it was quite higher than what I had expected to be. MediAssist has acquired other TPAs in recent past. I feel they may be able to consolidate market share to become a major player.

Any advise if its worth holding stock for long term? As per Moneycontrol, current valuation is alright.
Old 25th January 2024, 19:47   #5295
BHPian

Hello

Recently I read a News that Tinplate and Tata steel are merging and for every 10 shares of Tinplate they are alloting 33 Tata steel shares.

How does this work if you have only 8 stocks of Tinplate. Any thoughts? Will it be prorated

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks