76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2024, 19:59   #5296
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Recently I read a News that Tinplate and Tata steel are merging and for every 10 shares of Tinplate they are alloting 33 Tata steel shares. How does this work if you have only 8 stocks of Tinplate. Any thoughts? Will it be prorated
Sounds like an exam question. Perhaps the answer is:

10 Tinplate shares = 33 Tata Steel shares
So 8 Tinplate shares = (8 x 33)/10 = 26.4 shares

So you will get 26 shares of Tata Steel and cash for the remaining 0.4 Tata Steel shares.

Note: I'm not 100% sure about this.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 20:08   #5297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

So you will get 26 shares of Tata Steel and cash for the remaining 0.4 Tata Steel shares.

Thanks Smartcat. I also thought they would prorate but thought some of you might have real time experience. I will keep posted on how it spans out.
Ananthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 14:43   #5298
BHPian

Quote:

Pro rata is right, but don't expect cash for the residual 0.4 shares. That's just not happening, sorry.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 17:06   #5299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Pro rata is right, but don't expect cash for the residual 0.4 shares. That's just not happening, sorry.
I believe they have to issue the cash for the fraction shares since there would be many shareholders in the similar boat as the ratio is 1:3.3. In the past, I have received cash for the fraction shares during bonus issues.

Last edited by rx100 : 26th January 2024 at 17:16.
rx100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 17:21   #5300
Team-BHP Support

The reason why I've never noticed this is because for me, it is the end of investment thesis in that particular stock. Usually there will be a spike in share prices, and I'd make the exit.

For eg: I would have invested in Tinplate because of its financials (RoE, profit growth) & valuation metrics (PE ratio, dividend yield). But if I agree to share swap, I'll be getting shares of a different company altogether (Tata Steel), which has different valuation/financial metrics.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 10:23   #5301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satkaj View Post
I have been investor in stoks past 30 yrs.I am a long term investor. I stay invested and forget about selling few companies shares. Though there are few stocks in which I enter and exit within 3/4 yrs.

The maximum returns I have earned is by staying invested in big companies for more than15 yrs. Examples are TCS, Maruti, ICICI, Rallis , CRISIL and few such companies. Accumulated profits have surpassed all my trading account shares. These are the only shares which for me have created wealth.

With time , I prefer to focus in few good companies and put my hard earned money which now also is retirement plan for next 15yrs. My next long term bet is TATA’s NELCO. I strongly believe SATCOM is a next big space with all the big players entering such as Elon Musk’ Starlink, Amazon , Jio, Airtel(one web) etc. Satellite communication will only grow from here and will be an regular / parallel solution in may be 5/10 yrs.
That is a great wealth of expeience sir. Kudos to sticking in market when it wasnt seen as a wise investment (still isnt by some!) back then.

One question from me - Did you get better returns/equal returns in big companies in the 15 year timeframe than compared to Index funds? In case you invested that way too. Asking because, am a passive investor so just invest in Nifty 50 fund/Niftybees.

Last edited by sen2693 : 28th January 2024 at 10:25.
Old 28th January 2024, 10:47   #5302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
That is a great wealth of expeience sir. Kudos to sticking in market when it wasnt seen as a wise investment (still isnt by some!) back then.

One question from me - Did you get better returns/equal returns in big companies in the 15 year timeframe than compared to Index funds? In case you invested that way too. Asking because, am a passive investor so just invest in Nifty 50 fund/Niftybees.
I never invest in funds. Have always picked 3/4 companies and rest with them for long. The reason , I am not a kind of a person who will keep tracking growth charts. But I am sure these companies have given far better returns than Index. Though I am unable to put any comparison.

Just keep looking for few companies which gives me sound sleep after investing , I believe in and go with them.

Last edited by Satkaj : 28th January 2024 at 10:49.
Satkaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 23:32   #5303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
By definition, the Nifty 50 fund is comprised of 50 of the biggest companies. So if the big companies do well, the Nifty 50 will also do well. The comparison that you have asked for is, in a way, futile. For every individual who has outperformed the index by investing in individual stocks, there is another individual who has underperformed, and the index averages out these variances. It is just a question of your confidence level in taking stock picking decisions vs. relying on the index to give you the average stock returns. The expert (or self-appointed expert) investors tend to have more confidence in picking individual stocks, but if you do not have that ability yet, then better to be with index funds.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 12:48   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
You should update the signatue in your PAN. It will be quite helpful in the long run.

Read more kre here, if you are not already aware about it.

https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correctiondsc.html
Bit off topic but I finally got the PAN card corrected with my current bank signature. I had different signatures for a long time and I always worried if there would be concern raised for same. Thanks for this.

This is the link from where I got it done. It was complete online and did not have to run anywhere around. Just needed a updated pic and a image of the signature.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th January 2024 at 12:54.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 20:17   #5305
Senior - BHPian

In a view of the happenings these with the likes of Paytm and Byju just wanted to know what happens when brokers like Zerodha in a worst case scenario shut shop? How do we trade the stocks we had purchased (buy/sell or simply retain) through them? All this is just hypothetical and just to be clear what to do in such a case.

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 20:32   #5306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

How do we trade the stocks we had purchased (buy/sell or simply retain) through them? All this is just hypothetical and just to be clear what to do in such a case.
The overall transactions involve 3 different accounts :
1. SAVINGS account - maintained with any Bank and linked to the Broking firm. - NO IMPACT HERE.
2. DEMAT account - serviced through the broker but actually maintained with either NSDL / CDSL - PARTIAL IMPACT (would be affected till the account is linked to a new broker).
3. TRADING Account - FULL IMPACT - You would have to open a new trading account with another broker and arrange to link the accounts in #1 & #2.
Fx14 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 20:49   #5307
BHPian

Quote:
In a view of the happenings these with the likes of Paytm and Byju just wanted to know what happens when brokers like Zerodha in a worst case scenario shut shop? How do we trade the stocks we had purchased (buy/sell or simply retain) through them? All this is just hypothetical and just to be clear what to do in such a case.

Thanks.
All your equity stocks are held by the depository participant, NSDL/CDSL, the broker is merely a medium for transferring the shares when making a purchase/sale, so if a broker goes bust your equity stocks are safe. However am not sure what would happen to option/FnO positions.

There have been many brokers which have shut shop in the past.

You can get some info here : https://groww.in/blog/what-happens-i...ker-shuts-down
montsa007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 20:58   #5308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After you buy property via a broker, it no longer matters what happens to the broker. After the purchase, you have the property documents in your name. The broker just facilitated the purchase. Similarly, after you buy shares in a company, it no longer matters what happens to the broker. The shares are in your name. Zerodha just facilitated the purchase.

Your Zerodha shares are held with CDSL. You can download their app and view your shares online. If Zerodha goes down under, just change your broker/DP online via CDSL.
https://support.zerodha.com/category...g-cdsl-easiest

Also, you should be getting monthly statements from NDSL or CDSL. Go to your email and search for "NSDL statement" or "CDSL statement". You will see emails with attached PDF document that shows all your investment data (shares, mutual funds, insurance etc) across multiple brokers or platform.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th February 2024 at 00:05.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 21:45   #5309
BHPian

Quote:

Also, you should be getting monthly statements from NDSL or CDSL. Go to your email and type "NSDL statement" or "CDSL statement". It will have a PDF document with all your investment details (shares, mutual funds, insurance etc).

Alternately, one can also search the email account for "eCAS" to locate the same PDF document with all your investment details.
Fx14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 08:56   #5310
BHPian

I had bought 800 shares of Carysil at an average price of 700. The price has now reached 1000+ levels. I had bought only by looking at the price charts and not based on any other factor.

Can somebody who is able to understand the P/E ratio and other factors comment if this is a good stock to hold for one or two more years

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks