26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 08:18   #5161
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you play the stock market

PMSBazaar.com lists out the performance of all Portfolio Management Services, and the returns are exactly like that of mutual funds (or worse).
But if you still want an alternative to mutual funds, SMALLCASE.com is a low cost PMS-like service.

www.smallcase.com

You can choose from different fund managers or strategies:

Do you play the stock market-screenshot_1.png
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 08:43   #5162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I could have spent all those hours on upskilling/certifications etc and that would have generated more money for me in terms of career growth !!

I now understand passive investments via ETF's and Real estate.

Feeling light today. No more logging into portfolio tracker and watching things go red or green.
It is not easy to say "I dont want to bein SM" when one has made money in the first attempt.
It is rare to have clarity about ones priorities too, appreciate your honesty here.
Good luck.

Last edited by thirugata : 23rd March 2023 at 08:45.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:54   #5163
BHPian

I got a message from HDFC Sec. asking me to update the nominee for my trading account by 31st March or my account would be disabled. This was apparently in line with some RBI notification.

My question is: what is the point of having a nominee for the trading account? It doesn't contain any shares, those are in the demat account. So why have a nominee for it at all?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:28   #5164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
I got a message from HDFC Sec. asking me to update the nominee for my trading account by 31st March or my account would be disabled. This was apparently in line with some RBI notification.

My question is: what is the point of having a nominee for the trading account? It doesn't contain any shares, those are in the demat account. So why have a nominee for it at all?
May be for the unused funds lying in the trading ledger.

However, the deadline is probably extended to 30th Sep- at least for mutual fund folios.

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd March 2023 at 16:30.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:19   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
But if you still want an alternative to mutual funds, SMALLCASE.com is a low cost PMS-like service.

www.smallcase.com

You can choose from different fund managers or strategies:

Attachment 2432133
Any experience with smallcase?
I am contemplating to start with smallcase. Any advice on which fund manager to start with?
VaibhaoT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 20:12   #5166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
I am contemplating to start with smallcase. Any advice on which fund manager to start with?
Smallcase will buy a bunch of theme based stocks based on your pick, however it may end up buying a stock which may be terribly overpriced at the timing of your purchase and you may find the stock at significant loss down the line
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 15:13   #5167
BHPian

IT stocks are going through a bloodbath. Good time to accumulate?
Old 19th April 2023, 16:36   #5168
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a specific reason why you are looking at smallcase? Is there a case that is not being fulfilled by other means?

I've found smallcases to be largely unnecessary for most people. If there is a specific stock (or small set of stocks) of interest, I just buy and hold it. If there is a wider basket of stocks, I buy either an ETF or an equivalent mutual fund. My issue with smallcase vis a vis a mutual fund is that they are manually rebalanced, i.e. you will get an update and you need to rebalance it by yourself on your brokerage platform. So let's say you are on vacation and you miss an update, there will be a deviation. And ultimately all smallcases are derived from an underlying index and will struggle to generate alpha over a reasonably long period. If you really believe in certain companies, you can buy those stocks directly in any case.

Maybe there is a case for Smallcase if you are creating your own unique basket of stocks and you want to do an SIP on that to make the transaction convenient.

I think it's just simpler to do a direct SIP in a mutual fund in an automated manner and forget about it for the rest of the year. If you are not sure on how to start, you can just buy Nifty 50 and Next 50 Index fund in a 60:40 proportion.

Happy to be corrected on all this opinion, of course
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 17:08   #5169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Is there a specific reason why you are looking at smallcase? Is there a case that is not being fulfilled by other means?

I've found smallcases to be largely unnecessary for most people. If there is a specific stock (or small set of stocks) of interest, I just buy and hold it. ...
I have been using smallcase since a year now - some free and some paid and I opted for this route since I just don't have the time to put into proper research into companies that are likely to grow as well as the right entry and exit points. Of course over the last year the markets have been very volatile and my total returns are only around 2% as on date.

One of my smallcases is Wright Momentum which is rebalanced every month and so far has been decent. Eventually the markets will pick up again and then let's see how this performs !

I have my set of direct MF investments along with SIP's, but for direct stocks have gone the smallcase way after trying out some options like Geojit which had many restrictions on accepting their rebalance suggestions.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 19th April 2023 at 17:10.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 17:53   #5170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I largely agree with you point of view.
In my case, my 90% of my monthly investment goes to a basket of MF. Apart from 2-3 SIP, which I started in 2021, almost all other are returning 11-17% XIRR & largely I am happy with that. Just before COVID I started investing in direct stocks & 70% of my stocks are in green with 2-3 returning 5-10X gains. And overall I have good returns from direct stocks as well. Because of professional commitments I am not able to spend time and research, which has hampered my new investment in stocks.

Regarding Smallcases, I am more interested in experimenting. I see Smallcases as poor man's PMS. If I have go to actual PMS, then despite starting with 50 Lakh, I doubt they will take me seriously. So I want to start small and see how does it go. I usually spend upto 30 minutes daily to monitor news around my portfolio, so chances of missing notifications is less for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
One of my smallcases is Wright Momentum which is rebalanced every month and so far has been decent. Eventually the markets will pick up again and then let's see how this performs !
Thanks! Let me take a look.

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 19th April 2023 at 17:55. Reason: Updated reply
Old 19th April 2023, 19:31   #5171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
IT stocks are going through a bloodbath. Good time to accumulate?
Any thoughts from experts? I am looking at Infosys right now.
Old 19th April 2023, 19:41   #5172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I would avoid catching a falling knife. But it also depends whether one is buying for trading or investment.
Old 19th April 2023, 20:09   #5173
BHPian

Quote:
It is always better to buy something that is going up than something that is going down. Thats what I would do.
Some people buy small quantities after a sharp correction and hold for long time.
It depends on your style of stock picking and risk management.
Old 19th April 2023, 20:49   #5174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For long term, Yes.

For short term (Trading), probably No.

In my humble opinion (And I am no expert in stock markets), falling and bearish markets are good oppurtunities to buy good quality stocks at the right price. I generally follow principles of GARP (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/garp.asp) to cherry pick stocks in a bear market.

A bullish market though is better for traders and short term investors, but needs a lot of focus and understanding of technicals.
Old 19th April 2023, 21:20   #5175
BHPian

Quote:
I am not an expert but I would like to share my experience.
I had invested in Infosys a year ago and the return is negative, except for the dividend.
Still I am interested in buying it for longterm and looking around 1200 to buying it again in order to bring down the average cost.

On the other hand TCS has been more stable in the last year yet it has also reached almost a year low and seems attactive.

Last edited by Habanero City : 19th April 2023 at 21:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks