76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2022, 23:37   #5026
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I am unable to view the screener nowadays. Can you post a fresh link please?
https://www.screener.in/user/28210/
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 15:29   #5027
Senior - BHPian

A newbie question here. Say for Eg I have a stock worth 80k a unit. I may have hold 20 of these in my portfolio. Now I may want to sell them for whatever reason. It is possible the price of this particular stock has peaked. So who will buy such high priced shares when the time comes to sell them? Why would anyone buy a share when it is not expected to grow at such a high price. I am just trying to understand these things.
Old 31st October 2022, 15:40   #5028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A newbie question here. Say for Eg I have a stock worth 80k a unit. I may have hold 20 of these in my portfolio. Now I may want to sell them for whatever reason. It is possible the price of this particular stock has peaked. So who will buy such high priced shares when the time comes to sell them? Why would anyone buy a share when it is not expected to grow at such a high price. I am just trying to understand these things.
Check out the concept of the greater fool theory.

Market is big and made up of all kinds of participants.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 16:06   #5029
BHPian

Quote:
It is possible the price of this particular stock has peaked.
This is your view of the market, you think it peaked and want to cash it out.
Quote:
Why would anyone buy a share when it is not expected to grow at such a high price. I am just trying to understand these things.
Someone else may think, there is more potential upmove and they may want to add up positions.

It's all about perspectives.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 20:01   #5030
BHPian

Quote:
I am assuming you are saying the stock is expensive based the current price of the stock. A stock does not become expensive or cheap based on the current price of the stock. For ex. a 10 Rs stock can be more expensive than a 1000 Rs stock. You need to pick the parameters using which you want to determine the valuation of the stock. Price in isolation is not sufficient to determine that.
thirugata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 20:12   #5031
Team-BHP Support

Screener.in app is now available on Google Playstore:

Name:  Screenshot_20221031200630_Google Play Store.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  46.2 KB

Quote:
Everybody understands real estate. You might sell a piece of land for Rs. 5,000 per sq ft because you think the price has peaked, but the buyer expects even higher price in the future.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 12:38   #5032
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here in the queue for Suzlon Rights issue?
I am receiving mails and SMS from CDSL that shares have been credited in my account but when I check my portfolio with by broker (Zerodha), it doesn't show the RE shares.

Any insights?
Old 4th November 2022, 13:19   #5033
BHPian

Quick question, Does anyone have any experience in investing direct in International Equities from here in India? Which are the good platforms in such case? Should we go through platforms like Stockal or would something like Interactive Brokers make more sense?

The reason I ask is because looking at the current scenario of correction in prices of US Equities, their valuation seem more attractive compared to our inflated valuations and hence I would like to invest in US Equities direct.

Last edited by curiosity : 4th November 2022 at 13:25.
Old 4th November 2022, 14:07   #5034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Quick question, Does anyone have any experience in investing direct in International Equities from here in India? Which are the good platforms in such case? Should we go through platforms like Stockal or would something like Interactive Brokers make more sense?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...s-markets.html (Investing in US Markets)
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 14:20   #5035
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Adage: Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Similarly, value of stock lies in the minds of investors.

From the movie Margin call: Jeremy Irons on deciding for fire sale of sub prime mortgage securities - We are selling to willing buyers at fair market price. Else, we will be holding the odorous excreta that is ever assembled in the capitalist history.

This is one reason novices are encouraged to stay away from penny stock rallies when manipulation going on. You may be able to buy but won't be able to sell when its dumped and no buyers are available.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 15:19   #5036
Senior - BHPian

We used to say when US market sneezes, India gets fever. Surprised to see the recent phenomena of Indian market appreciating when the US market correcting, INR currency depreciating, FII outflow, higher rates etc. I doubt retailers and DIIs alone are responsible for the stability in the indian market. Hope another scam is not brewing. If anyone has an idea about what is happening, please share. Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 17:26   #5037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
We used to say when US market sneezes, India gets fever. Surprised to see the recent phenomena of Indian market appreciating when the US market correcting, INR currency depreciating, FII outflow, higher rates etc. I doubt retailers and DIIs alone are responsible for the stability in the indian market. Hope another scam is not brewing. If anyone has an idea about what is happening, please share. Thanks
I was having a discussion with a wise man of market about this topic and his answer made sense to me, see if it makes sense to you.

Quote:
In India more people only buy , they don't sell unless they are scared of collapse

In India 90%+ or more people do not short sell

That is one of the reasons that Indian markets fall so late, but when it falls , it falls fast
thirugata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 17:27   #5038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Here is my perspective: Stock market normally precedes or atleast tries to precede an economic outcome. Most major players in the market 'anticipate' performance of respective companies and accordingly buy / dump those stocks. The downturn in US markets is in anticipation of a recession or something similar. So far, that hasn't been realised, yet. But the markets are trending down because of widespread negative (bearish) sentiment and the major players being cautious about the future economy performance. Similar is the case with European markets. Chinese markets are performing even worse. So, for all those players who are withdrawing funds from such markets, Indian markets are appearing like an attractive bet . But are our markets totally insulated from the world , not completely . IT stocks are being dumped steadily. Banking , communications and infrastructure sectors (which are largely domestic economy driven) are being bought heavily by both FII and DII. While the market index is at its ATH, not all index stocks are at their highs.
Is this a scam or manipulation? I don't think so, its just that the dominant buyers are very bullish about certain sectors. But anything can happen in the market . Tomorrow if they start dumping the same sectors, then there would be another reason behind that.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 18:40   #5039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
So, for all those players who are withdrawing funds from such markets, Indian markets are appearing like an attractive bet .
Extending that thought, fund manager's sale pitch is how much did the fund earn in an year. So with the calendar year and financial year approaching, if they see any threat to the profit they have been making in very few markets like India there won't be any hesitation to protect the profit to show their outperformance for the year.
It is just a thought and one of the many possibilities that can happen. Do not give more weightage to it.
Old 14th November 2022, 11:55   #5040
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Given that one has a couple of lakhs to invest, is it a good time to invest in the stock market or prepay the home loan?

I am more leaning towards prepayment of my home loan since the interest paid is way more than the 2 lakhs IT deduction. At 9.xx interest rate, I am doubtful if the stock market or debt funds will provide that kind of returns.

Any suggestions, insights welcome from the experts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks