Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 16:35   #61
BHPian

Name suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
ok guys i thought i would ask from one more query here.the plan for he cottages is almost done.
A single cottage would consist of 2 rooms side by side with independent dressing and bathroom.We were thinking of having a common entrance into the cottage via a common hall and then have separate doors to each room.I thought I would ask our tbhpians for their views on this now.
Would you prefer having two rooms with a common hall but independent doors to each room or would it be better to have two separate rooms with separate entrances side by side minus the common hall.

For those who dint get what iam saying,the two rooms would be side by side with independent entrances to the rooms.iam asking if you would prefer a common hall to both rooms or no hall at all.

Also guys i really thought I would get a few more name suggestions from tbhpians but hardly any participation here since a long time.i need a name for the place asap.I had wanted to keep it a surprise for the person who gave the chosen name but I guess with hardly any participation I have to reveal it.The person who comes up with the selected name would be my guest at the resort.He/she would be entitled for a couple stay for 2nights and 3 days.I hope atleast this would motivate us all to come up with some really nice names apart from those already suggested.

Regards,
Zahed
For privacy sake I would suggest having separate rooms for each occupants and no Hall, as long as the room is big enough and has a dressing space and seperate bathroom.
Name suggestions:
Sip ‘N’ Sleep (Apt for those who just want to have a relaxed stay)
Well if you want a bigger name:
Sip, Sup, Sleep
Sip, Shade, Snack, Sleep

-Shashi
Old 5th September 2008, 16:45   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
A single cottage would consist of 2 rooms side by side with independent dressing and bathroom.We were thinking of having a common entrance into the cottage via a common hall and then have separate doors to each room.I thought I would ask our tbhpians for their views on this now.
Would you prefer having two rooms with a common hall but independent doors to each room or would it be better to have two separate rooms with separate entrances side by side minus the common hall.
Hey Zahed,
Good progress on things. In my opinion the two rooms can be spread as the bedrooms and the area which was to be build as a hall can be left as an open space ( verandah ) , with a coffee table, a couple of bamboo benches/sofas , a table in case the guests want to try out some board games ( when bored ). I am really looking for completion of your facility!

/* And a name suggestion --> whispering fountains\whispering waterfalls */

Last edited by santhosh_kumard : 5th September 2008 at 16:53.
Old 5th September 2008, 16:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest one of both buddy.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hey Zahed,

All the best for your venture and wish you a speedy recovery from broken elbow.
Typically bangalore crowd goes to Coorg for a weekend and return but from your business point of view you should target customers who like to spend longer time in hassle free atmosphere at a budget.

I stayed in a small guest house called Jolly frog in Kanchanaburi Thailand and liked setup there very much they have a website also search on net for "jollyfrog + Kanchanaburi" to get some ideas , I would love to see such a place in Coorg
Suggest you to add the following which cost very less but add a charm to the place if possible,

(1) Few Hammocks among the trees overlooking stream you mentioned , The number should be enough so that guests do not have to wait and take turns.

(2) Easychairs in the open area.

(4) A bookshelf stocked with old books / novels.

(3) A common room with a microwave and kitchinet preferebly where guests can go and help them seleves with small things such as hot water for instant Noodles , Warming milk for children in microwave with out heaving to call your staff every time.

(4) Washing Machine / Dryer for laundry.

(5) Whenever the busniness grows an Authetic looking Coorgi man with thick Handlebar Mush and wearing traditional coorgi dress and sporting a dagger . as caretacker on the estate will add to the Charm.

About the Name Choose some thing from traditional folk lore of the area.

You can do away with TV in rooms or can put them only in few rooms for higher rates.

Regards
Amit

Last edited by amitk26 : 5th September 2008 at 17:48.
Old 5th September 2008, 17:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Unrelated guests may not be very comfirtable going to individual bedrooms through a common hall as it gives feeling of staying under same roof , A Varandah with mangalore tile or some local type of roofing material
with easy chairs / Hammoks and cane dining table is better.

Also you will save on cost of construction material for hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
Hey Zahed,
Good progress on things. In my opinion the two rooms can be spread as the bedrooms and the area which was to be build as a hall can be left as an open space ( verandah ) , with a coffee table, a couple of bamboo benches/sofas , a table in case the guests want to try out some board games ( when bored ). I am really looking for completion of your facility!

Old 5th September 2008, 19:50   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Unrelated guests may not be very comfirtable going to individual bedrooms through a common hall as it gives feeling of staying under same roof , A Varandah with mangalore tile or some local type of roofing material
with easy chairs / Hammoks and cane dining table is better.

Also you will save on cost of construction material for hall.
exactly what i felt but i also had to think from the POV of an extended family who would like the entire cottage to stay.A common hall for such people would help.As of now inclined towards removing the common hall and converting it into an open or enclosed veranda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
Hey Zahed,

Instead of leaving the space open i thought of making the veranda a part of each room with a small diwan cot and a small table which could be used for board games or dining.
Iam looking forward to its completion as eagerly as you are my friend.
As. for the name,I have neither a waterfall nor a fountain.Planning to build an artificial one though once things start rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
For privacy sake I would suggest having separate rooms for each occupants and no Hall, as long as the room is big enough and has a dressing space and seperate bathroom.
Name suggestions:
Sip ‘N’ Sleep (Apt for those who just want to have a relaxed stay)
Well if you want a bigger name:
Sip, Sup, Sleep
Sip, Shade, Snack, Sleep

-Shashi
Yup.As of now the hall is going to get scrapped and will give way for either an individual veranda or a common open veranda with chairs.Iam swinging towards the idea of having a private balcony attached to each room but nothing decided on that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
i would suggest the idea without the hall. Eliminating the hall would give more space in the rooms. Also i prefer privacy. The hall thing will propogate sounds (you know!!) to the next room.

with or without the offer i would suggest a name. 'Nila' It's name of a River.
Post pics soon please.
No common hall Would'nt want sounds from one room bothering other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I would suggest one of both buddy.
Am in 2 minds now.Thinking of making one with common hall and one without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hey Zahed,

All the best for your venture and wish you a speedy recovery from broken elbow.
Typically bangalore crowd goes to Coorg for a weekend and return but from your business point of view you should target customers who like to spend longer time in hassle free atmosphere at a budget.

I stayed in a small guest house called Jolly frog in Kanchanaburi Thailand and liked setup there very much they have a website also search on net for "jollyfrog + Kanchanaburi" to get some ideas , I would love to see such a place in Coorg
Suggest you to add the following which cost very less but add a charm to the place if possible,

(1) Few Hammocks among the trees overlooking stream you mentioned , The number should be enough so that guests do not have to wait and take turns.

(2) Easychairs in the open area.

(4) A bookshelf stocked with old books / novels.

(3) A common room with a microwave and kitchinet preferebly where guests can go and help them seleves with small things such as hot water for instant Noodles , Warming milk for children in microwave with out heaving to call your staff every time.

(4) Washing Machine / Dryer for laundry.

(5) Whenever the busniness grows an Authetic looking Coorgi man with thick Handlebar Mush and wearing traditional coorgi dress and sporting a dagger . as caretacker on the estate will add to the Charm.

About the Name Choose some thing from traditional folk lore of the area.

You can do away with TV in rooms or can put them only in few rooms for higher rates.

Regards
Amit
Hi Amit.I havent been able to go through the net and search for the resort you spoke about.Will do it asap.In the meantime all the points you posted above have been thought of and kept in mind.Just the implementation to be done once things are done.Just stuck looking for a nice local name.

@all:What room size is correct or big enough according to all? We have decided on the room size as 14x12 and the bathroom size as 6x8 along with a walk-in closet of 6x4 feet.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:08   #67
BHPian

Ok Guys another update.The house is almost complete.Just final painting and a few other things outside are left to be done.Tbhpian Samurai became the first Tbhpian to have a look at the place.hope he dint find it bad.Posting a few pics for all to see.
1) The Hall inside
2) The Sitout - Good enough to accomodate 20 ppl.
3) The creek
4) The Land's beyond
5) The overview from the entrance
6) During sunset
7) The creek again

I have not posted pics of the inside of the house since I took them when the house had not been cleaned. Any comments are welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome-img_1519.jpg  

Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome-img_1535.jpg  

Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome-img_1549.jpg  

Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome-img_1552.jpg  

Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome-img_1555.jpg  

Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome-img_1561.jpg  

Starting a Home Stay/Resort in Coorg.. Suggestions and Help Welcome-img_1563.jpg  

Old 1st October 2008, 20:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hey Princezahed, it looks nice, so when can the occupancy start?
Would like to visit soon, maybe I'll just pm you one of these days, hope you ave recovered from your injuries.
Regards,
Hari.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:24   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hey Princezahed, it looks nice, so when can the occupancy start?
Would like to visit soon, maybe I'll just pm you one of these days, hope you ave recovered from your injuries.
Regards,
Hari.
Thanks Hari.It is not even 10% of the way i want it to look.the final look will take atleast 3months more.Occupancy would start once iam able to finalize a few things and hire some staff.Your welcome to visit anytime.Well i have almost recovered but my left elbow still hurts at times.I cannot pick up heavy things.

Regards,
Zahed
Old 1st October 2008, 20:25   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Zahed, this looks really good and is coming up very nicely. mmmm.. the stream seems like some OTR spots in the estate itself???

Will ping you when I plan my visit to Coorg.

Best of luck my friend.

Cheers,
Old 1st October 2008, 21:02   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hey Zahed, this looks really good and is coming up very nicely. mmmm.. the stream seems like some OTR spots in the estate itself???

Will ping you when I plan my visit to Coorg.

Best of luck my friend.

Cheers,
the stream is accessible only by 1 way ---- walking down to it.no vehicle would reach there unless it plans to jump off a 40 foot cliff.Your welcome anytime
Old 1st October 2008, 23:45   #72
KVS
BHPian

Zahed,

The location looks very beautiful. I read the complete thread and there were lot of suggestions to improve. These are my suggestions:

1. You can have a music system with very good collection. It would be great to sit out side and listen to the music and sip Coorg coffee.

2. You may want to build this ecological home stay with Solar water heaters, rain water harvesting etc..

3. You also think of providing out door games like Badminton to the guests and Swings for kids/Adults (old styled flat ones where two or three people can sit)

4. You can cover the cottege with Rice grass

Best wishes
KVS
Old 2nd October 2008, 19:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Zahed,

The location looks very beautiful. I read the complete thread and there were lot of suggestions to improve. These are my suggestions:

1. You can have a music system with very good collection. It would be great to sit out side and listen to the music and sip Coorg coffee.

2. You may want to build this ecological home stay with Solar water heaters, rain water harvesting etc..

3. You also think of providing out door games like Badminton to the guests and Swings for kids/Adults (old styled flat ones where two or three people can sit)

4. You can cover the cottege with Rice grass

Best wishes
KVS
Thanks for the reply KVS.Regarding the points you made

1.There will surely be a music system.My choice of music is typically old hindi music so i guess i have to rel on others for some good collection.

2.Had thought about solar water heating and electricity too but except for summers the sun is hardly seen so it could be a problem during winters and monsoons.We have already installed a water heating boiler.

3.Games like badminton would surely be provided but only once the resort is fully functional.right now i cannot do it since cottage construction will start immediately after dussehra.

4.had thought about covering the cottages with rice grass.just worried about it storing water and leaking +snakes on the roof
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

hey zahed, the place looks beautiful.. nice place to relax and rejuvinate, one suggestion i would like to add is, iff possible provide a sitout by the stream, with a walkable path.. would be nice and cozy! all the best!!
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Buddy please do take care of snakes man. Trust me in the monsoon the snakes usually move to higher grounds to aviod the waters and end up taking refuge in warm corners of the house. The best way to prevent them is to have like high steps to the house and also no stones in the garden where they can take refuge.
Also please dont store food grains at places where mice can come. Well these are some precautions to protect the inhabitants.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks