Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 03:17   #1
BHPian

Going to the UK for pursuing Automobile engineering-tips, advice and gyan

Due to the efforts of one very kind and helpul person( whose name cannot be mentioned here withouth his permission) I am going to Coventry University on the 20th of September to pursue my bachelors in Automobile Engineering( What else ?). Now since my experience of living in the UK is practically NIL, it would be nice if you all could share some gyan, tips and advice about the same with me through this thread.

Last edited by revvedup : 17th September 2008 at 03:23.
Old 17th September 2008, 09:15   #2
BHPian

hey bro

best of luck buddy, I am also from Cov Uni. Kindly say my hi to Mr Bill Dunn ( he is an expert of Soild mechanics and also a real gentleman).For the rest of the info just mail me at amitpunjani3@gmail.com Will provide you every info in detail

thanks

amit
Old 17th September 2008, 09:39   #3
BHPian

Tips

Hi Buddy

Before you start your education here some tips for you
  • Mr Bill Dunn (lecturer for Solid mechanics) real gem of a person. In case you encounter any problems in education or financial or anything else just approach to him. Initially you may find him a bit strange like i did but in the end he will be the one who will stand by you till the last.
  • Be very serious in lecturers of Paul Green ( guy with red cheecks), he will be teaching you about Engineering Project.
  • A short and fat guy would teaching you dynamics, really nice guy
  • In case you have booked your stay in Coventry Uni hostel, just walk out as the food is typical english ( chips, boiled vegetables, baked beans)
  • Avoid areas like Hillfield, swarn lane (notorious areas)
  • Initially for few days you have to run from pillars to post in international office, just bear with it as there alot of rush of students
  • Yes the most important thing, Wednesday are the student nights so beer will just just one pound in the uni pub cheers:
  • Avoid copying work as plagirism is something big no no. But i am sure you can always find your ways around like i did (hehehe).
For anything else just mail me

Thanks

amit
Old 17th September 2008, 12:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

PM sent to you. A friend of mine is there. Will help you out with stay etc. Has good amount of exp in Coventry. Enjoy your stay.
Old 17th September 2008, 12:16   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Revvedup, Glad that my staff could be of help. Here are some general tips for international students:

• Being an international student and probably looking for employment opportunities, you will have some occasions to dress formally. Students must carry at least one formal suit.
• Most colleges have some kind of cultural program every year, and we encourage our students to share the Indian culture. Carrying a pair or two of traditional clothing will work wonders.
• Organize a small medical pouch which includes quick treatments for mild fever, cough, cold, stomach ache/upset, muscle aches, sprains, bruises etc. Band- aids, tablets and the odd syrup will suffice.
• Learn how to cook!! This is an absolute must and non-believers have found out the hard way. Start with the basics. Carry only pickles and masalas with you in tightly secured packages. Do not carry rice/atta and the like as they are freely available in Indian stores around the world.
• If you are required to wear prescription glasses, do pack in an extra pair or two. It is an extremely time and money consuming affair in foreign countries.
• Toiletries can be carried in minimal amounts, say to last a month or two. Rest can be shopped from there itself.
• Get in touch with a broker and ask him to procure an International driving license for you. These are typically valid for 12 months and the application is a very straight forward affair. Also carry your Indian driving license. Most countries recognize one of the two.
• Text books can be frighteningly expensive in foreign countries. You would do well to conduct some research on the books required and buy which ever are available from India itself.
• Prepare an up-to-date address book of all contacts that you or your family may have in the country you intend to study in. This will help in more ways than one.
• Make a copy of your passport, immigration documents and any other relevant paperwork. Keep these in a separate place from the originals, not only while traveling but even after you arrive at the university.
• You will be hard pressed for time once you reach your college. It is advised to have a good haircut just before departure.

Commercials :

• Make sure you carry one international credit card with you – at the minimum. In an emergency, it will surely come handy.
• Do not carry too much cash on you while traveling to the country of choice. It is better to pack $1000 (or the equivalent) in cash and the rest of the amount in traveler’s cheques.
• Medical insurance is an absolute must, and a legal requirement in some countries. Most students get international coverage from India itself, as this saves them time and money. Make sure that the insurance service at your destination is top grade.

The Foreign connection:

• Get familiar with your college before arriving there. The college website is the best resource, followed by some online groups. You will have comprehensive and very valuable information.
• Some colleges also have Indian associations. Get in touch with them over the email. Exchange ideas and tips relevant to your college and surroundings.
• Airport pick-ups are available at most institutions around the world. It is a recommended and safe option.
• An international education focuses on the people factor. Team-work, mutual respect and co-operation is everything. Be open-minded and control the inflated egos.
• Plagiarism is dealt with dire consequences and we strongly advice our students not to indulge in this practice. Work with honesty and sincerity. You will certainly reap the rewards.
• Respect the local law and regulations with strict compliance. Do not work off-campus if it is not permitted. Follow the rules and remember the primary reason for your visit there is a quality education!

Good luck!
Old 19th September 2008, 13:12   #6
BHPian

Thank you Rushabh,Amit and Mahesh for your advice . I am in a bit of dilemma right now especially regarding the computer.

Option 1
Take exsiting mobo+CPU(AMD 5000+AMD 780 G) boxed + RAM(1*2GB 800 MHZ OCZ) in orignal packing +PSU(Cooler Master). Buy everything else from there.

Option 2

Buy a laptop from the UK with similar specs or equivalent( if over budget then lower spec). But the question is how much would it cost ?

Although I have a feeling that option 1 would work out to be better as well as cheaper since I can assemble the CPU myself after buying all the stuff.

Any idea about computer shops there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
• Learn how to cook!! This is an absolute must and non-believers have found out the hard way. Start with the basics. Carry only pickles and masalas with you in tightly secured packages. Do not carry rice/atta and the like as they are freely available in Indian stores around the world.
Does this apply to me since I would be residing in catered accomodation for the first year( I have to come back to India for a few weeks at the end of the first year and I can learn cooking and carry some utensils then) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
• Text books can be frighteningly expensive in foreign countries. You would do well to conduct some research on the books required and buy which ever are available from India itself.
Again when I asked about the same to my senior pursuing automotive enginneering there he said that the uni's 16 million pound library suffices all his needs. Still do I need to carry any books ? (I am carrying my fav Resenick and Halliday though)
Old 19th September 2008, 14:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

revvedup, congratulations on your success .

I seem to remember a thread asking for (and receiving) good advice on the same subject not too long ago; do have a look for it.

As a native Brit it is hard for me to think of the things that affect newcomers, but if anything occurs, I will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto
Organize a small medical pouch which includes quick treatments for mild fever, cough, cold, stomach ache/upset, muscle aches, sprains, bruises etc. Band- aids, tablets and the odd syrup will suffice.
Sounds like the advice given to foreigners visiting India! But such things will cost more in UK. If you need to buy them, look out for 'generic', non-branded packs, they will be almost as cheap as India. Prescription drugs are tightly controlled and absolutely will not be sold over the counter without a previous prescription. They are then given for a standard charge per item, which is the same (about £6 when I last looked? probably more now) whatever the drug. My local chemist used to call this tax-collecting on behalf of the government, as many common drugs actually cost less. Of course, if you have to take something expensive, you win!
Quote:
Learn how to cook!!...
Eating out in UK is expensive, and the 'India' restaurants are mostly serve an anglicised idea of Indian food. Southern-Indian restaurants tend to be authentic, and very reasonably priced in English terms --- a dosa will still cost you ten times the Indian price!
Quote:
If you are required to wear prescription glasses, do pack in an extra pair or two. It is an extremely time and money consuming affair in foreign countries.
Can be quicker in UK! There are chains that will test your eyes and send you away with your specs within an hour or so. The test is a thorough eye check up too, not just for the prescription, but all will cost quite a lot more.

Get your teeth thoroughly checked out and 'serviced' before you go. Another thing to check is if, as a full-time student, you are entitled to NHS dentistry, but even if you are it still comes with charges. Schedule a dental checkup for your home trips in India.
Quote:
Get in touch with a broker and ask him to procure an International driving license for you. These are typically valid for 12 months and the application is a very straight forward affair. Also carry your Indian driving license. Most countries recognize one of the two.
You need the IDP for UK, but you must carry your Indian licence as well. Remember that many rules of the road, especially to do with parking, speed limits and lane usage, are strictly enforced, sometimes by camera, and breaking them can be very expensive. Never attempt to bribe a UK official!
Quote:
Medical insurance is an absolute must...
As a resident student, I don't know if you are covered by the British National Health Service. Find out (if not from a member here) from your foreign-student counsellors at the university. UK is a great place to be seriously, acutely ill or injured; the facilities and care are first-class and (if you are covered) free, but due to the stresses on an underfunded system, it is not such a good place to suffer chronic (ongoing) or less urgent things. Private treatment, although not as bad as USA, is prohibitively expensive. There are no lower-price private hospitals.

On general safety: do not carry large amounts of cash. Do not carry a laptop in anything that looks like a laptop bag. Do not flash you mobile phone around, or wear it obviously. Theft of small items like this is unfortunately common. At the same time, don't go there feeling afraid; nobody robbed me in 50 years of living there.

The internet is your best tool for comparative pricing, especially for electronics and computer stuff, and is often your cheapest source once you are there. Lots of computer shops, that will sell you components for self-build.

In UK, there is London, and there is the rest of the country. London is notoriously cold, unless you get to know people, and how, when they are so unfriendly, is one supposed to do that? Outside of London you should find people more friendly and approachable. Students, of course, have a ready-made social as well as learning situation.

Enjoy!
Old 19th September 2008, 16:16   #8
BHPian

Standard Indian driving license will do the job in UK for 12 months. Most rental companies in UK will allow hiring a car based on passport + Indian license.

If you carry laptop from India, take a plug adapter (~Rs 50) as UK socket is different from Indian plug.

Be careful about your belongs as you're in India. UK has lots of thugs and you will see "Beware of pickpockets" warning in London tubes

Once your are settled, do venture on UK country sides... they are truly beautiful.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:25   #9
BHPian

Thanks Thad and sbsak. Already have got both the Indian and international Permit cum Licence. Now the only bother is computer+ books ?

Last edited by revvedup : 19th September 2008 at 16:29.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:32   #10
rippergeo

computers of similar specs are cheaper in india than the UK. You could verify the prices by checking at dixons.co.uk or pcworld and comparing with indian prices

Old 19th September 2008, 17:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Buy a laptop from the UK with similar specs or equivalent( if over budget then lower spec). But the question is how much would it cost ?

Although I have a feeling that option 1 would work out to be better as well as cheaper since I can assemble the CPU myself after buying all the stuff. Any idea about computer shops there ?
Best to get a laptop. You might need to take it along with you at times to the library/seminar/lecture, so it is a better investment than a desktop computer. You could cross check prices in the UK and India. Comet and Dixons are the leading gadget/peripheral stores. Both have websites.

There are lot of good deals during Christmas time. The best time to buy clothes would be mid to end-Jan when the end-of-season sale is on.

Most supermarkets stock a variety of Indian spices (especially in the Midlands, Lancashire and London) and also have self-branded food items. For example Asda has their 'Value' line which is self explanatory.

Carry atleast 2 dozen copies of your passport photo. You will be filling up tons of forms for your academic, housing and banking needs initially. Natwest and HSBC banks are recommended for students.

Get a mobile connection. An annual contract entitles you to a free phone and monthly talktime. Virgin Mobile and Vodafone usually have student deals.

Go with an open mind, expand you comfort zone and mingle with everyone. Rest assured, you will have a rewarding experience.
Old 19th September 2008, 18:23   #12

Sbasak, just noticed your location includes Luton too...greetings from an ex-lutonite!..Wondering what are you upto in that little town?
Cheers mate.
Old 19th September 2008, 18:32   #13

I too second carrying a laptop advice.Most things are very expensive in the U.K.,actually most Europe. A ready example would be Dell.com and Dell.co.uk. With regards books, while the Universities' lirbrary resources are usually nothing short of excellent, do remember that you would in essence be competing with fellow students for the limited numbers of textbooks in your stream. They are also very expensive in the market-place. So carrying a few of the most important books would'nt hurt.
All said and done, after the initial getting used period, U.K. is a wonderful place to live in and believe me the international essence of your class would be an education in itself.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 19th September 2008, 19:34   #14
BANNED

Lots of members have given you advice, let me give you gyan:

Take care of your health (very important in a foreign land)
Study well
Try and mingle with the local folk (wherever they are from originally) - a lot of Indians tend to stick to Indians-only groups, which is not healthy
British food is enjoyable if one has an open mind towards food and likes to sample different cuisines
Late nights after football games - have to be experienced first hand! (Be cautious - crowds can get unruly)

Some specific tips for London:
Can be frightfully expensive even for a short visit
Carry a packet of cigarettes even if you don't smoke. You can be stopped by drunks late at night asking you for a smoke to spare - I have found that offering them cigarettes helps you walk away quicker. It is not worth finding out how they might react if you don't have cigarettes.

If you can hold your drink, you will get a newfound respect from the British
Old 19th September 2008, 21:19   #15
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

Carry a packet of cigarettes even if you don't smoke. You can be stopped by drunks late at night asking you for a smoke to spare - I have found that offering them cigarettes helps you walk away quicker. It is not worth finding out how they might react if you don't have cigarettes.

If you can hold your drink, you will get a newfound respect from the British
I found out that some of them get abusive
but throwing away hard earned money on a drunk stranger's smoking habit?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks