Team-BHP - The "Provident Fund" Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The "Provident Fund" Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/46474-provident-fund-thread-70.html)

The definition of 'Inoperative PF Account' was changed on 11 Nov 2016. Relevant Gazette notification and Press Information Bureau release.

TL;DR - All PF accounts, whether contributory or idle, earn interest at prevalent rates up to prescribed retirement age (55 years of age for PF purposes), plus a further 3 years (so total up to 58 years of age). If not withdrawn within the 3 year time frame between ages 55-58, the account is marked inoperative at the 58 year age mark and ceases to earn interest further. If the subscriber doesn't withdraw accumulated funds from inoperative account and dies without a declared nominee, relevant legal heir paperwork is needed to withdraw funds post-mortem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfire (Post 5223775)
Am getting this error while trying to view/update nomination.

Try using Mozilla Firefox browser as recommended on the portal ( and also recommended by m8002? ). Try at a different time of the day preferably later in the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 5224049)
My organization has sent mail mentioning the dates for sessions on how to complete the nominations and the last session is on 12th Jan. So I suppose the last date is after that.

The last date on the EPFO website still shows 31st December, maybe you would like to recheck with your org HR.

I managed to complete the e-nomination on the EPFO website, had a horrendous time yday in adding the nomination but was stuck on the e-Sign thing. Today first thing in the morning the e-Sign worked. Plus can see the EPFO site to be a bit faster today. A few twitter complaints by people worked I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 5224264)
The last date on the EPFO website still shows 31st December, maybe you would like to recheck with your org HR.

I managed to complete the e-nomination on the EPFO website, had a horrendous time yday in adding the nomination but was stuck on the e-Sign thing. Today first thing in the morning the e-Sign worked. Plus can see the EPFO site to be a bit faster today. A few twitter complaints by people worked I guess.

The mail from company says 15th Jan. However I logged in to site using Firefox and uploaded my photo.

For the family members, it is asking photos with Red background. Wife and son need to get them now. :unhappy

Quote:

Today first thing in the morning the e-Sign worked. Plus can see the EPFO site to be a bit faster today. A few twitter complaints by people worked I guess.

It worked because in the morning hours, there is less traffic on the servers. Hence, the servers respond to the queries quickly. EPFO site is not scaled up to handle such huge requests from the members. This is happening with most of the Govt. sites be it Income Tax, GST or EPFO.

Request all BHPians to try updating e-nomination on EPFO during morning sessions before 10-10:30. It should work without any hassles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 5224286)
For the family members, it is asking photos with Red background. Wife and son need to get them now. :unhappy

I uploaded a normal pic of my wife and the system accepted it. There was no error there. Irritiating part is the pic size has to be 100 kB or less. Had to spent considerable time in compressing the pic size.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 5224128)
The definition of 'Inoperative PF Account' was changed on 11 Nov 2016. Relevant Gazette notification and Press Information Bureau release.

TL;DR - All PF accounts, whether contributory or idle, earn interest at prevalent rates up to prescribed retirement age (55 years of age for PF purposes), plus a further 3 years (so total up to 58 years of age). If not withdrawn within the 3 year time frame between ages 55-58, the account is marked inoperative at the 58 year age mark and ceases to earn interest further. If the subscriber doesn't withdraw accumulated funds from inoperative account and dies without a declared nominee, relevant legal heir paperwork is needed to withdraw funds post-mortem.

Good to know that as now i will keep mine till 55. But their site still mentions the old rule in the FAQ page which im sure confuses others too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 5224128)

Thanks for clarifying. This is one information that is not quite clear and I have been trying to find out. On similar lines, what happens if one's PF is maintained by exempted trust and employee quits and stops working by say 45Yrs. Will the PF account be maintained by the exempted trust and interest credited till 58yrs? Or will the exempted trust mark the account inoperative after 3yrs?

One more info is if there is no contribution to PF and the account continues to get interest, then that interest is not tax-free for the period where there is no contribution and one has to pay tax on the interest earned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 5223811)
BTW when is the due date for the doing this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 5224049)
My organization has sent mail mentioning the dates for sessions on how to complete the nominations and the last session is on 12th Jan. So I suppose the last date is after that.

Quote:

According to the EPFO official Twitter handle, all members can file nominations post 31st December 2021.
The tweet also specifically mentions that no deadline has been fixed for filing e-nominations as of now.

The "Provident Fund" Thread-screenshot_20211230162713_chrome.jpg

The EPFO website no longer shows Passbook unless you file the E-nomination. I did that yesterday and still whenever I go to view the Passbook, I get below error...

Dear member, for viewing Member Passbook, filing of e-nomination is compulsory.

Anyone else in same boat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfire (Post 5223775)
Am getting this error while trying to view/update nomination.

I was also getting this error and finally found a guide document that our HR team has shared (apparently it's there on the EPFO site as well).
In short these are the steps for E-nomination:
1. make sure your profile is "complete" and this includes Aadhaar in demographics verified status, PAN and bank account number linked and photo is uploaded

2. Once profile is complete, go to e-nomination, add details of your family member/s (in case you wish to nominate more than one person with a specific share/ratio, then add each of them along with their Aadhaar numbers - names will be validated so use their names as mentioned in aadhaar), photo and their respective nominated share.

I did this during the last week of December and It took about 2 hours, with intermittent epfo website and aadhaar authentication failures!

*I'm sure most of us have given nominations when filling out the paper forms at the time of joining a new company, but nowhere that is shown on the portal and this threat of not having an e-nomination leading to interests being withheld, etc looms large:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5234750)
2. Once profile is complete, go to e-nomination, add details of your family member/s (in case you wish to nominate more than one person with a specific share/ratio, then add each of them along with their Aadhaar numbers - names will be validated so use their names as mentioned in aadhaar), photo and their respective nominated share.

I've been trying on and off since 3rd week of Dec to get this updated. My KYC details are all in the EPF DB. Getting stymed with this atrocious web site, I keep getting "Service not available" etc. Twice, I managed to get through till the submission of the nomination (adhaar/ photo) of my wife, then got a timeout error :Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raksrules (Post 5234730)

Yes and having a frustrating time in trying to get it corrected.

Quote:

The UMANG app and the EPFO mini-app within in it still works to check the passbook balance.

I see that I cannot proceed with e-nomination because there is no record of DOJ and DOE of my first job in the system. All options I see point towards contacting my previous employer and sign a joint declaration form and submit it. I don't know how this is my fault other than never noticing that the info was missing in my records before. I really don't know if my previous employer will be even receptive to check my employment records and update the system. How do I go about doing this?

Quote:

I too was facing this error message and then I got to know we have to 'e-sign' the nomination using virtual aadhar ID. You can Google for instructions on how to do it. After I e-signed, within 24 hours I was able to view my pass book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagr22 (Post 5237257)
I too was facing this error message and then I got to know we have to 'e-sign' the nomination using virtual aadhar ID. You can Google for instructions on how to do it. After I e-signed, within 24 hours I was able to view my pass book.

I was facing this issue even after e-Signing. It seems we have to wait more than 48 hours after e-Signing to view the passbook.