Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 14:47   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nike experience

They say a brand - a real brand - is built on years of providing quality products and / or customer-centric service. Well, I'd say Nike is in the right hands. Both, in terms of management & dealers who are, after all, the brands face to the customer.

I'd picked up a pair of Nike 360 sneakers in July '08 from the Nike store @ Atria mall. No problems in the first five months. However, from December onward, I developed a sore (really painful) right toe. Doctors initially dismissed it off as an infection, but the pain lasted over a month. Too long for an under-treatment infection to last. I realised that the pain elevated after running in the 360's; there couldn't be any other culprit. Upon closer inspection I saw that the right foot sneaker had developed a pointy bulge, just above the position of the right toe.

So I walked into the Nike Store last week, ready to talk things out straight (though I was cheesed off). I had barely completed one sentence, when the stores manager Arshad politely replied "No problem, sir. If our shoes have caused a problem, feel free to pick any up from the rack. Free exchange"!! He didn't even ask me for my damn bill or date of purchase. For all you know, the shoes could have been 2 years old. And believe you me, the 360s were used every morning of those 6 months and were well worn out. Turns out that the new sneakers I liked weren't available in my foot size. They said they'd source the right size and call back within a week. 4 days later, I received a call from this store informing that my new shoes were ready to be picked up. There was about a Rs. 2,000 difference amount (new shoes were cheaper). "No sweat, please pick up anything from the store for an equivalent value".

This experience has made me a Nike loyalist for life. And I won't shop for sports goods from anywhere other than that store @ Atria Mall. Well done, Arshad.

P.S. Ensure that your doctor diagnoses a health problem accurately. I visited 3 doctors - one a senior from Hinduja Hospital - and all of them insisted that its a toe infection. New shoes = More comfortable = toe problem gone!
Old 24th February 2009, 14:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Even I have found Nike shoes and T-shirts to be perhaps the most comfortable and long-lasting. Plus the store owner here gives me a 15% discount on MRP!!! and informs me beforehand of any sale.

Last edited by vasudeva : 24th February 2009 at 14:53.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

Had a similar experience with Metro Shoes Hyderabad.

I bought Lee Cooper boots and the soles cracked up after 6 months.
Knew the exact date of purchase but I had no bill. Anyways I went to Metro and showed them the broken shoes. They wanted me to leave the shoes with them for a week while they get them repaired.

I go there after 10 days.
The guy there apologised for the bad shoe quality and then requested me to choose any new pair for the same amount.

Felt very satisfied with this.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps you can see this world brand valuation by Interbrand. As per my knowledge, it is considered one of the best brand valuation rankings. Clicking on + next to brand gives a brief write up and its brand value from 2001-07 (2008 also given):

Interbrand | Best Global Brands List | 2008
Old 24th February 2009, 15:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had several experiances with Bata and they were very kind enough to repair the shoes/sandals to a closest detail or just replaced with new shoes.Also I enjoyed this for shoes i bougnt in Bangalore and exchanged for new ones in Hyderabad.Ofc i always keep the bills for such reasons for atealst an year and maintain a log..just in case.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:51   #6
BHPian

I agree, the customer service experience has improved in recent times.

I tend to avoid Nike however.

Nike pays like INR 100 to the Indian humans who work overtime in miserable conditions and the product is sold at 1000% profit. (No wonder product easily replaced)

Why should I donate my money to Nike corporates and let them enjoy luxurious life. No, not happeneing.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

In my case it was Reebok...

This has happened to me as well. At that time I was wearing a Reebok Shoe. My story is little different. While starting my bike my foot slept from kick and it torned the 2 month old shoe from the side.

I took shoes along with bill to Reebok Showroom to find any possibility for repair, As I started to explain, salesman said he will replace the complete shoe with new shoes. What a surprise of my very own fault. Everybody can figure out that shoe was torned due to mistake not of bad quality.

He promptly and politely asked me to choose shoes for same price, I selected one higher than old price paid the difference and came off.

It was really surprising and humble experience with Reebok Showroom in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar experience with Nike about 5 years back. Had bought a pair for regular use and after a couple of months the sole developed a crack. Just took it to the showroom in Noida they asked me to pick up any other shoe in the same price range.

I am an Adidas lover now though but had a great exp with Nike.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I agree, the customer service experience has improved in recent times.

Nike pays like INR 100 to the Indian humans who work overtime in miserable conditions and the product is sold at 1000% profit. (No wonder product easily replaced)

Why should I donate my money to Nike corporates and let them enjoy luxurious life. No, not happeneing.
@ aerohit: I appreciate your view. Keep it up.

I had a great experience with Fast Track. My 3 months old sunglass was broken while trying to tighten the screws and I got a new pair of sunglasses free within 2 weeks time. No questions asked, the receipt was required though.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

@GTO... did you rule out the possibility that the owner of that store could have been a Team-BHPian ? lol
Old 24th February 2009, 16:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

Why single out Nike. why not boycott all products where you have workers earning near minimum wage, and MD living a life of luxury? Anyways, this discussion is totally OT . As far as customer service is concerned, this is great.

This post has inspired me now to take my woodlands to back to the showroom and tell them about the sores they have caused. Hopefully they will be as proactive as Nike.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th February 2009 at 16:45.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why single out Nike. why not boycott all products where you have workers earning near minimum wage, and MD living a life of luxury?
From my limited industry knowledge, that could easily mean more than 90% of Indian manufactures.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

+1

Tell me one big corporate who doesnt have people working at ground level at subsistence cost and makes fat operating/EBITDA margins.

Cooperative products only, eh?
Old 24th February 2009, 17:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had an altogether different experience.

I picked up a Reebok runnign shoe from Bangy - their company owned showroom. (why not Cbe? - not many choices/variety) . I used to wear it onlyl on the weekends as I had to wear formals to work during weekdays. So in about 6 monhts - about 21st day of actual usage - the entire heel came off!! I took it to the local Reebok showroom. THey shrugged, said they'll try rectifying it, took money, and the shoe actully came back with a local black rubber sole stuck on it!!

I decided to add Reebok to Woodlands, in my list of products to NEVER buy!
Old 24th February 2009, 17:28   #15
BHPian

NIKE Fan

Well, no wonder the brand has a list of loyal fans. I'm one of them. Its a brand I grew up walking in. Got my first pair when I was 8. And somehow ever since I've been a Nike Fan. I do like other brands too but if given a choice, NIKE does it for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks