Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 11:21   #631
BHPian

Re: Health insurance queries? Ask me!

My wife is 27 years old and has no health issues so far EXCEPT cervical spondylitis (severe enough to cause vertigo, requires frequent physiotherapy). I'm planning to buy a health insurance policy for her but I'm not sure if it'll cover the expenses of her spondylitis related expenses in future. Any guidance will be appreciated.
hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 16:42   #632
BHPian

Anyone has tried ACKO for Health insurance? Their premium is 40% less than Star and 50% less than Ergo ! But they may have a medical checkup whereas for Star there is no medical checkup until 45. Any comments much appreciated.

Here is a link to their product : https://www.acko.com/arogya-sanjeeva...lth-insurance/

Last edited by Romins : 11th October 2020 at 16:54. Reason: product URL added
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 16:44   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
My wife is 27 years old and has no health issues so far EXCEPT cervical spondylitis (severe enough to cause vertigo, requires frequent physiotherapy). I'm planning to buy a health insurance policy for her but I'm not sure if it'll cover the expenses of her spondylitis related expenses in future. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Any pre-existing conditions will be covered after 48 months. So, you can claim for anything related to the existing condition after 4years.

With some insurance companies, you can also choose the pre-existing illness cover as an additional feature by paying an extra premium.

Last edited by Romins : 11th October 2020 at 16:47.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 23:51   #634
BHPian

I have a medical insurance of sufficient amount. However it covers only hospitalisation. So you suggest buying a critical illness policy separately and which would you recommend? My age is 39
Old 12th October 2020, 00:02   #635
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
I have a medical insurance of sufficient amount. However it covers only hospitalisation. So you suggest buying a critical illness policy separately and which would you recommend? My age is 39
If you are married and have a family dependent entirely on you, definitely should think of critical illness policy. I have taken Critical illness policy although my association covers for a possible incapable condition. Together it will allow me to meet the standards of living I currently need. But will fall short of future needs. But it's not easy to get such huge critical illness cover without spending a substantial amount.
Old 12th October 2020, 06:41   #636
Senior - BHPian

Need some guidance please. Being the sole earning member of my family, I have taken a life insurance policy of 5cr from Icici Prudential and have been paying a premium of Rs.57000 every year.

Since this is a pure life insurance policy and is not linked to anything else, the purpose is purely to mitigate my familys position if god forbid something were to happen to me. So why 5cr, thats because I have a couple of loans outstanding and plus I think thats a minimum amount required if there is absolutely no income to the family.

My question, given the current pandemic situation where I have had to endure salary cuts etc, is there a better policy out there that I can choose? Nearly 60k every year is a lot of money, so I wanted to reassess my options this year before paying up. For reference Im in my late 30s and my family consists of my spouse and a 8 year old kid.
Old 12th October 2020, 07:48   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
Whenever buying a new policy, you must declare the medical history, especially since that disease may re-occur or if you have had hospitalization. Secondly the insurance company will not cover expenses related to that disease for a period of 2 years upto 4 years, depending on what the policy says.
It is always better to declare the truth, take the gamble and remain assured that you will be covered for the pre-existing disease, till the policy lasts.
For some insurance companies, you can choose an add-on for the pre-existing disease, but that may be very expensive.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 12th October 2020 at 07:50.
Old 21st October 2020, 23:38   #638
BHPian

This may not sound like a regular medical insurance query.

Our maid has a 10 year old daughter who is suffering from inflammation and pain in her lower back. Doctor advised to go for MRI, which she claims cost 8k rupees in a govt hospital (Jayadeva Institute).

I am trying to help as much as possible this time, but want them to avail some govt insurance schemes which can help them later.

What kind of govt insurance are available for this section of people? They are nepali origin people, husband works as a security guard and she as maid. They have aadhar cards.
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:56   #639
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

Our maid has a 10 year old daughter who is suffering from inflammation and pain in her lower back. Doctor advised to go for MRI, which she claims cost 8k rupees in a govt hospital (Jayadeva Institute).

I am trying to help as much as possible this time, but want them to avail some govt insurance schemes which can help them later.

What kind of govt insurance are available for this section of people? They are nepali origin people, husband works as a security guard and she as maid. They have aadhar cards.
Google shows that this hospital Jayadeva Institute has a viability gap fund where poor people who cannot afford MRI can get a free scan. Posting the article below and it's mentioned in the last para. Maybe the hospital is incentivized to not tell people about this fund, can you double check in person.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/65139550.cms
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:56   #640
Senior - BHPian

Are people with BP / Diabetes not eligible to take Corona Kavach policies? I hear some people were told so when they tried to take one.
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:48   #641
BHPian

Quote:

Our maid has a 10 year old daughter who is suffering from inflammation and pain in her lower back.

Have you tried registering them in Ayushman Bharat?
Here is a link below.
https://www.india.gov.in/spotlight/a...ection-mission
Hope this helps.
All the best
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:34   #642
BHPian

Quote:

Ask her to ask around at the hospital. Typically there is always a section/office where very poor people are provided help. She may have to furnish some documents such as address, proof of income (or a note from someone authorized that they don't have a lot of income, etc) and some other docs to prove her eligibility but once proven, the treatments are free.

Not sure about KA but in MH - even private hospitals are mandated to charge lower fees from poor patients and keep a fix number of beds dedicated for such patients. However, there is always an appointed in-charge to whom you have to prove that you are too poor to afford the treatment. And after initial diagnosis/emergency treatment, they are shifted to govt. hospital formally.

Last edited by sunilch : 22nd October 2020 at 10:35.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:15   #643
BHPian

I was able to take the cashless route through her insurance for my wife's maternity hospitalization. Now I have raised a reimbursement claim with my insurance for the differential amount.

My insurance TPA asked me to courier documents. I sent them via Blue Dart and now they're claiming that the documents never reached them, although the Blue Dart tracker says delivered. They are asking for POD which is not available on the Blue Dart website.

Can you suggest what my options are over here? The whole system reeks of inefficiency and as a consumer, I am left with not a lot of options at my disposal.

Last edited by pandey.jai : 23rd October 2020 at 09:18. Reason: Edited to clarify 2 different insurance providers are involved.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:20   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I was able to take the cashless route through her insurance for my wife's maternity hospitalization. Now I have raised a reimbursement claim with my insurance for the differential amount.

My insurance TPA asked me to courier documents. I sent them via Blue Dart and now they're claiming that the documents never reached them, although the Blue Dart tracker says delivered. They are asking for POD which is not available on the Blue Dart website.

Can you suggest what my options are over here? The whole system reeks of inefficiency and as a consumer, I am left with not a lot of options at my disposal.
Chase BlueDart for the receipt/delivery slip screenshot/copy. They are liable to provide you the same and once you have it send it to the insurance company. The onus will then be on the company for making sure that they have it or they process your claim.

Other than that, you don't have much options. So chase BlueDart - get the details of the delivery person who did the delivery and talk to him directly, if needed.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:36   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

My question, given the current pandemic situation where I have had to endure salary cuts etc, is there a better policy out there that I can choose? Nearly 60k every year is a lot of money, so I wanted to reassess my options this year before paying up. For reference Im in my late 30s and my family consists of my spouse and a 8 year old kid.
I don’t think you can change an ongoing policy. Only option is to get a fresh policy for lower amount and hence lower premium. But then again if your current policy was taken when you were much younger new policy premium will be higher now considering your age and the moment you stop paying premium existing policy cover stops. You can still talk to icici folks once to check and then take a call.

Personally, took a policy only till age of 55 as I intend to retire by late 40s or max 50. If I am employed till then anyways would have saved enough for family, so didn’t see the point of paying higher premium. I know people usually don’t consider it a good idea but I took this calculated risk(cover only for employment age).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks