Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: what kind of job u do?
Conventional 67 67.00%
Unconventional 35 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2005, 21:07   #16
BHPian

Yup I see loads of IT people here.

I voted unconventional. Till 12th enjoyed life to the full. 10th 70% and 12th 59% Science with Computer. Reforms started in India and I joined a course in Foreign Trade, when I graduated, there was no trade left. I started with Computers for my PG thinking, this line will never die and should be the best bet for me. When I came out people had stopped paying and hirring inexperienced techs. Landed in a BPO thinking it was a software job. The company too left some things hazy behind the Technical support Jargon.

Worked upwards and got grew and changed a firm to join a big software company getting into BPO so have seen all that goes into creating a new company. This suites me till date and am still thinking of an MBA in the future.
Old 20th May 2005, 12:15   #17
BHPian

very conventional here...software developer *rolls eys*
I have always liked physics, geography and history but ended up doing electronics engineering (since I got good marks even though I never studied :-S )
Found out that there was no jobs in the core electronics sector (not taht I really liked it either...) so did a software diploma and been stuck in this mire for the last few yrs.

I admit that I am not a gifted programmer, but I have great grasping of new stuff so manage to do my job well enough...but I do get bored by the inane nature of it.
Now working for a big company (a biiig change from the previous small product company where you could practically go to work in shorts & chappals ...and have a .............Beer in the night! yeah this is in India!)

I wonder how long I can continue doing this stuff though..and have thought about maybe starting a smaaaall restaurent/inn or something few yrs later.(no capital/family money though)..or else I could also end up teaching (I have a knack of explaining stuff which people know zilch about...and keep doing this practice on everyone at home!)
Old 20th May 2005, 13:03   #18
BANNED

I handle all the creative at a small ad agency. Good work, but being in an office all day can be a real soul-sucker.

If I had to live my dream, I'd have stuck with being a vocalist in a rock band, instead of having to give it all up for the corporate crap.

That's life.
Old 20th May 2005, 23:26   #19
BHPian

it is wonderful to see bhpains with such varied professions and some who have their dreams fulfilled, some who still yet to , but over all, everybody is grt in their own way.

shubbhi
Old 21st May 2005, 01:54   #20
SMG
BHPian

One more software engineer here.

Although I call myself a software engineer I stopped coding some 3 years back. Now a days I am more into techno commercial things like estimates-n-budgets, proposals, strategies etc.

So far I am happy about what I did as an Engineer. I designed award winning products and systems, mentored half a dozen young chaps and all of them are doing fine.

By Oct 2005 I will be back in India and give up my top dollar job to pursue my interests in teaching, music, photography, traveling.

I am also writing couple of books on technical subjects to pass on the knowledge I have accumulated over last 20 years, to next generation.

My current employer insisted me to remain associated with them, they just don’t want me to go away, so I would be working with them as an honorary consultant and travel to Mumbai every fortnight.

I own a piece of land in Sangli and constructing my dream house over there. I am designing it myself.

Last edited by SMG : 21st May 2005 at 01:59.
Old 21st May 2005, 03:25   #21
BHPian

Looks like everyone loves to call them Unconventional

About me, It's boring conventional. I am in software, but cant call me a programmer anymore.. I dont think that's too bad.. But yes, I miss coding..

Dream job?, yeah had lots of them in my dreams , they keep changing too

When I was kid, I wanted to be an Astrophysicist (Before you ask me what, let me tell you, it is a physics field dealing with stars and stellar bodies (Ooh, how romantic). Still read a lot about them though..

My career orientation guide always stated Computer Science.. which I am in right now. But now that I am here, its boring :(. As long as it pays, will continue..

Right now,dream to get out of all this and go and live in a remote place and teaching youngsters and spending lot of time in reading, travelling and spending time alone with nature..

Dont know when/whether I will realise this dream or not.. Wish me luck.

Let's see where the life takes ..
Old 21st May 2005, 03:37   #22
SMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand

Right now,dream to get out of all this and go and live in a remote place and teaching youngsters and spending lot of time in reading, travelling and spending time alone with nature..
That is exactly what I had been thinking for last 4+ years and if you see my earlier post, I am almost close to it.

Quote:
Yes, if you pursue your dreams, it will come true. All the best.
Old 21st May 2005, 13:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG
I own a piece of land in Sangli and constructing my dream house over there. I am designing it myself.
Quote:

Let's see where the life takes ..

I WISH U BOTH ALL THE BEST TO FULFILL UR DREAMS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

SHUBBHI
Old 21st May 2005, 13:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

hmmm.......

my job is pretty conventional ......and boring if i may add (is anyone looking? )

but my dreams are very very unconventional .........woould love to do anything thats not monotonous. lawyer , actor , script writer , mechanic , doodh wala , pan wala ,clothes designer......oh the kind of stuff i dream to do is very very long ........

there is one dream thats recurring from my childhood and i wanna seriously give it a shot......

i want to out drag an airplane in my car on the runaway !

hope i get a shot at it atleast - winning or losing , we will see !
Old 30th May 2005, 19:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
hmmm.......

my job is pretty conventional ......and boring if i may add (is anyone looking? )
i understand that we are doing a very boring job specially production people. but luckily for me i m doing an intersting job in a boring black industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
but my dreams are very very unconventional .........woould love to do anything thats not monotonous. lawyer , actor , script writer , mechanic , doodh wala , pan wala ,clothes designer......oh the kind of stuff i dream to do is very very long ........

there is one dream thats recurring from my childhood and i wanna seriously give it a shot......

i want to out drag an airplane in my car on the runaway !

hope i get a shot at it atleast - winning or losing , we will see !
ha ha long list really but very very unconventional. u can start delivering papers before u come in the morning in our Industrial area. good idea isnt it?

shubbhi

Last edited by manaa45 : 30th May 2005 at 19:17.
Old 30th May 2005, 20:01   #26
BHPian

Wow! It's really nice to know what my fellow tbhpians do! Even more because it is not just a way to earn a living.

Well, I'd rate myself unconventional too. Started off big time into in C++, VB, SQL and ASP and spent days at a stretch in front of idiot box #2. Alongside computers, I used to write for a hobby. Though never got anything published, those were words written for my own satisfaction. Had made up my mind to get into coding when life changed lanes.

Technical writing came my way and that's when I could feed my IT interests and at the same time indulge in my favortie hobby, writing. Later, moved onto more advanced form of writing and became a content developer for e-Learning courses. Started writing to teach. Further down, got to the next level and became an Instructional Designer. And that's what I do today.

Though, I get my share of designing, writing, and technophilia from my current position, my biggest fancy is journalism. Just wish it paid better!
Old 30th May 2005, 23:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
ha ha long list really but very very unconventional. u can start delivering papers before u come in the morning in our Industrial area. good idea isnt it?

shubbhi
hey nc

i dont mean any offence, just kidding , i hope u dont mind. though u havent said anything, i just felt this after writing this post.

shubbhi
Old 13th October 2005, 22:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Unconventional.
What do i do? I sell Cars.
Old 14th October 2005, 00:10   #29

Wow... i guess i win hands down for unconventional, especially compared all the careers represented here.. i'm a psychologist!

I would have loved being in the media too though.. still am not too far away from my dream
Old 14th October 2005, 10:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

XII (Science) -> Mech Engnr -> S/W -> MBA -> Consulting (IT + Business)

I dont know if that is conventional or otehrwise. But I am happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks