Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 12:38   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

A simple no nonsense way of making palak paneer.

1. Take palak and pour boiling water on it. Then drain off the water as soon as the leaves become soft. Should not take more than 15 secs.

2. Wash palak in cold water now.

3. Put it in grinder with green chilli.

4. Fry some thinly diced onions till golden. Add some crushed garlic.

5. Add the palak puree.

6. Add Panner(Amul malai paneer soaked in water for 30 mins). Add salt.

7. Cook till palak is cooked.

Bingo. Ready to eat.
Old 21st January 2011, 19:22   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
The principle of its working is the bottom portion of the pan is open. Inside the pan there is a steel mesh grill on which Lava Rocks are placed.

These Lava Rocks help in distributing the heat along the whole diameter of the pan, hence ensuring uniform cooking at most places. On top of the Lava Rocks there is a steel grill on which you can place your steaks etc and of course they have stand on the side of your pan to keep skewers in different levels. On removing the Lava rocks and substituting them with coal I guess you can avoid the need of the Gas stove and makes it a highly portable option too. I may be wrong at that, but just matbe.
Are you using this product? Are you able to use it indoors because there must be a lot of smoke?
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:37   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
My sister and I made some Spaghetti with creamy pesto sauce and sun-dried tomatoes, ...
Those look like garden fresh tomatoes, not sun dried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
4. Fry some thinly diced onions till golden. Add some crushed garlic.
Try a variation: Fry the paneer pieces also till slightly golden in colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Are you using this product? Are you able to use it indoors because there must be a lot of smoke?
Why should there be too much smoke? Gas flame and lava rock is not like burning coal.
Old 24th January 2011, 21:47   #454
BHPian

Mutton Pepper Fry

I prepared mutton pepper fry yesterday. Came out pretty well. First time i tried my hands on preparing it. Here is what i did:-

1. Add one table spoon of Ginger garlic paste, 3/4th teaspoon of tumeric and 3/4th teaspoon of salt to 750 gms of lamb pieces and cook it in pressure cooker for 2 whistles on medium flame. Note - add very less water so that its sufficient enough for the lamb peices to cook and you can use the same water later.

2. In the mean time, chop 3 medium sized onions, 1 tomato, 4 sliced green chillies and a couple of curry leaves and keep it ready.

3. Masala - Take 1/2 portion out of one half of a coconut and a palmful of whole pepper and grind it in mixie for 10 seconds without adding water first. Then add little water to it and again grind it for around 10 to 15 seconds. Your masala is ready.

4. Add some oil to a frying pan. once the oil is hot, add 3 cloves, 2 Cardamoms (smashed) to it. Cook them until the cloves swell. Then add the curry leaves and chillies to it. Then add the chopped Onion and tomato to it and cook until the onion turns brown. Then add the cooked lamb pieces and watery soup (remeber i told you to use very less water while cooking the lamb).

5. Once most of the water added has got drained out add the masala (coconut and pepper) to it and also add 1 or 1 and a half teaspoon of Saunf powder to it. Add a little more salt if needed.Cook it for ~10 to 15 minutes (Do not forget to keep stirring it).

Your Mutton Pepper Fry is ready. Enjoy
Old 24th January 2011, 22:00   #455
BHPian

Does anyone have recipe to cook TUNA? I am trying different recipes to bake it. It is fully cooked but as the TUNA slices are usually big, even after marinating it for hours, the fish still kind of tastes like a cooked raw fish.
Old 25th January 2011, 10:58   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Does anyone have recipe to cook TUNA? I am trying different recipes to bake it. It is fully cooked but as the TUNA slices are usually big, even after marinating it for hours, the fish still kind of tastes like a cooked raw fish.
Can't figure out what taste you want. If it is tinned tuna, then it is already cooked and you can do very little excepting spice it up with Indian Masala.

For raw tuna, try this.

For marinade use any acidic medium - lime, watered vinegar or wine. Add spices to taste and keep the fish in marinade for one or two hours. The fish colour should change from semi transparent to opaque whitish. Your fish is now "cold cooked". I have seen my Phillipino friends eat it at this stage.

To cook you can now grill it, or bake the fish in a foil for ten to twenty minutes. If you still find the fish bland then add more spices and/or sauces to the marinade and cook with the marinade.

Of course to an Indian palette nothing beats fish curry with its strong flavour.

If you do not like the taste of tinned tuna (and it has preservatives and additives), buy raw frozen fish.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:42   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... TUNA slices are usually big, even after marinating it for hours, the fish still kind of tastes like a cooked raw fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
... For marinade use any acidic medium - lime, watered vinegar or wine. Add spices to taste and keep the fish in marinade for one or two hours. The fish colour should change from semi transparent to opaque whitish. Your fish is now "cold cooked". I have seen my Phillipino friends eat it at this stage. ... buy raw frozen fish.
Tuna is not a fish that takes well to Indian cooking. It is available in Bangalore, but not many takers. I think Ford_madhan is talking about fresh tuna meat. Frozen tuna is terrible - requires very careful defrosting like frozen red meat. Being a deep sea / ocean fish, the characteristics of red meat of Tuna is different from usual white-meat fish.

Best way to eat Tuna (perhaps not for Indians) is raw. RAW, as in Japanese cuisine - Sushi and Sashimi, where these are cut fine. Or (large pieces) grilled rare as in US, served with a separate sauce. But that required *very* high levels of hygiene in the whole chain from catch to table. Tropical countries that risk is obviated by using acidic 'cold cooking' methods like the Filipinos, Thai and Indonesians do.

If making fish curry (with tamarind, gachipuli or cocum as the acidic element, not tomato), cut the fish further into bite-sized chunks. Cooking time is a tricky thing to compute. A bit of trial and error is needed - overcook it just a little, and it becomes tough like overcooked chicken or mutton.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:56   #458
Senior - BHPian

You can also microwave fresh tuna.

Coat the tuna with oil and salt mixture. Depending on fish thickness and size, start at 1 minute and increment it by 30 seconds at a time (one press in my microwave), till it is done to your satisfaction.

If it is frozen, defrost it to room temperature.

I have tried microwave with different fish types and cuts. It works best with oily fish as the oil cooks the fish to mouth watering tenderness - Cat Fish, Hilsa, even large Carp (Rahu) fillets.
Old 25th January 2011, 17:10   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Yes I do use it quite often. There is a lot of smoke when you are actually cooking due to the basting juices falling of the pieces. However they are quite manageable even in my tiny kitchen which is equipped with just an exhaust fan. The aroma of the BBQ wafting through the house (The smoke doesn't leave the kitchen) worth it all the more.

The flipside to it is it does take time to heat up initially but you are good to go after that. I found out that the right amount of Lava rocks spread around helps in the hastening of the cooking process.
Old 25th January 2011, 17:23   #460

I'm good at making milkshakes - and I owe it to my car. How?

Car ->
tyre wear n tear ->
new tyres ->
hand blender free ->
milkshake chef me !
Old 29th January 2011, 14:50   #461
Team-BHP Support

I absolutely love custard. But preparing it can be a tiring affair. Well that was before i bought a microwave.

Weikfield Powder. I bought the box with 5 packets of different flavors.
Emptied a packet into a microwave safe tumbler/ glass.
Added sugar. About 2 tbsp.
Milk around 300 ml.

Stirred it for a minute till the powder has dissolved.

Placed in microwave for 2 mins under max power.
Stirred it with a spoon.
Again microwaved it for a minute.
The consistency was just perfect.
You may need to repeat the one min cooking if the consistency is not yet thick.

Placed the glass in a larger glass containing water. So as to cool it fast. This also prevents it from continuing to cook itself with residual heat.

The recipe was found by googling. I tried it once before but had added around 600 ml of milk. The consistency was too watery.
This time with 300 ml it was just perfect.
Old 29th January 2011, 17:27   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
A simple no nonsense way of making palak paneer.
I will add a little to make the palak rid its raw taste and maintain colour.

1) Blanch the Palak leaves before pureeing
2) Forst stir fry the palak puree for a few seconds in oil which is flavoured with a little hing and some shopped green chillies, ginger garlic paste, then add palak and stir for a few minutes.
3) Before adding paneer (at the last moment before removing from the gas) add a bit of beaten curd. Enhances taste and colour.

Try this variation and let me know.

Quote:
I would best eat tuna raw as sushi (not recommended at home) or as a salad which can be put in between bread as a sandwhich
You will need

1)Tuna chuncks tinned(in oil or brine but make sure to drain the oil or brine before using the tuna)

2) Chopped Onions, tomato (also squeeze the water after you have chopped it), coriander, green chillies.

3) Pinch or salt and coarse black pepper

4) A dash of grainy mustard or a pinch or mustard powder

5) Mayonnaise (to hold the mix together)

6) a squeeze of fresh lemon juice

separate the tuna blob with a fork prong and mix all together and put between slices of bread. If for as salad, dice the vegetables in a thicker, bigger cube.

Yummyy!!

Pesto Sauce-Green

You will need

1) Fresh Basil
2) A pinch of Oregano
3) Aged Parmesan cheese or Grana Padano cheese- cut into small cubes
4) Garlic cloves
5) Pine puts
6) Olive oil
7) Sea salt and freshly crushed Black pepper

Put all these ingredients into a grinder and grind adding trails of olive oil till thick and emulsified.

One should never cook Pesto sauce. The correct way is to take freshly cooked pasta straight out from the pasta cooker and place on a plate, piping hot. Add the pesto directly from the grinder, mix and serve immediately, garnished with ground Parmesan cheese.

Cooking this sauce on the pan spoils the taste.
Old 29th January 2011, 18:21   #463
Senior - BHPian

For eating as it is or in sandwiches, I prefer sardines in sunflower oil to tuna.
Old 30th January 2011, 20:35   #464
Senior - BHPian

Don't know how come I didn't see this thread before. I love eating and cooking. And Italian is something I cook well apart from cooking the regular Indian dishes like chicken, mutton, dal, paneer et al.

I also like to experiment with my dishes rather than following the standard norm.

Look forward to trying out new dishes listed here.
Old 1st February 2011, 13:20   #465
BANNED

This is what i done for this Republic Day

Prawns Fry using Coconut leaves midribs
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-dsc06615-medium.jpg

1. Prawns Medium to large size (depending upon availability) - 500 gm
(clean it thoroughly and leave the tail)
2. Red Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp ( Adjust depending up on your taste)
3. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tbsp
4. Garam Masala - 1/2 tbsp
5. Pepper Powder - 1/2 tbsp
6. Fresh lemon juice - 1½ tbsp
7. Salt - depends up on your taste.
8. Cooking oil - 2 ½ ( I used coconut oil)
9. Wooden Skewers ( I used fresh coconut leaves sticks)

Prepare the marinade from item no's 2-7 and apply it on Prawns. Insert the wooden Skewers on each prawn and leave it for 30 min to set the masala.

Heat the oil in a pan and fry the prawns at a medium heat, each side for max 2-3 minutes.

You are ready.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks