Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 16:17   #331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you have to add water? Is it a curry or a stir fry? Looks delicious in the picture!
Usually with chicken you never need to add water unless you want a thin gravy to be had with rice.
Because its very difficult to tell beforehand how much water will be released by chicken, I usually take the decision of adding water or not when the chicken is more than half cooked.
I have also realized that for standard chicken curry, you do not need to add any oil at all, and if you want to use non-mixied brown onions, around 2 tablespoon full of oil will do for 5-6 large onions in a non stick pan
Old 15th September 2010, 16:24   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I love cooking. A passion that I picked up from my dad. I love to experiment and try out new dishes. My parents visited me sometime back. And I surprised them with this oven roasted chicken. There was no time for decorating the dish since my son was already waiting with his knife and fork.
-Biju
That's one fabulous looking chicken. very inviting, I was in a dilemma whether to eat chicken today or not and you made my decision.

Please post the receipe, especially the oven timings, temparature and marination.
Old 16th September 2010, 14:39   #333
Senior - BHPian

Recipe of Oven Roasted Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
That's one fabulous looking chicken. very inviting, I was in a dilemma whether to eat chicken today or not and you made my decision.

Please post the receipe, especially the oven timings, temparature and marination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
^ Yummy looking stuff.

Recipes please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
+1 on that.
Please post recipe of OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN in particular.
Thank you for your appreciation for the oven roasted chicken posted on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2070030

Here is the recipe

Tips
  • Do not select a very large chicken. Select a chicken that is around 1 to 1.5 kg in weight (after dressing), unless you have a very large oven.
  • If you use a rotisserie (like I did), then it is difficult to balance heavier birds without proper accessories.
  • The basic marinade can be of your choice (indian, continental, chinese etc.)
Ingredients
  • 1 whole dressed chicken with the SKIN NOT REMOVED
First Marinade
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • Salt as per taste. Remember that the chicken will absorb some of the salt during the marination.
Second Marinade
  • 2-3 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic paste
  • 1 tablespoon of Kashmiri chilli powder (use a spicier one if you so prefer)
  • ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
  • ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
  • 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 teaspoon of honey (optional) - this gives a caramalizing effect on the skin. You can add this at the time of basting the chicken instead of adding it during the marination
Preparation & Roasting
  • First of all loosen the skin of the chicken and remove any excess fat and the giblets and kidneys etc. You can remove the chicken tail as well. Then wash it thoroughly and pat dry until all the water is gone from the skin and the inside.
  • Rub salt and lemon juice over the chicken, under the skin and also inside the chicken. Let the chicken stand for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator covered
  • Mix the other ingredients and apply that mixture over the skin, under the skin and inside. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator in an airtight container/plastic bag for 4 hours at least. Marinating overnight is the best option. Do not use metal vessels for marination.
  • Tie the legs together using a thick cotton thread (do not use anything other than cotton). This step is optional and not required if you are not going to use a rotisserie. Tying the chicken makes it retain its shape. But it will take longer to cook
  • Grease an oven proof pan with a little oil and place the chicken on it with the breast side up. The pan should have sides with at least ½ -1 inch of height so that the juices do not run out
  • You can optionally add some quartered onions, and cubes of carrot, etc. to the pan and place the chicken over those
  • Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius and then place the pan with the chicken into the oven following the instructions given by the oven manufacturer for this cooking method
  • Roast the chicken till it is done (approximately 25 minutes for ½ kg. So for a 1.5 kg chicken it would take around 75 minutes). But this could vary from oven to oven and bird to bird, depending on the size and other factors of the oven and the age and weight of the bird. So one needs to check it occasionally.
  • Bast the chicken every 20 minutes using the remaining marinade. If you have used up all the second marinade prepared earlier, make some more for this purpose.
  • Once the chicken is done, remove it from the oven and let it stand for 15-20 minutes covered with an aluminium foil.
How to tell when the chicken is done?
  • If you have a meat thermometer use that on the thickest part (between the thigh joint and the body) making sure that the thermometer sensor does not touch the bone. The temperature should be around 85 degree Celsius. I use the meat thermometer
  • Pierce the chicken on the thickest part with a knife/fork and the liquid coming should be clear and not pinkish
  • The chicken should be moist and tender if properly roasted and not dry.
Making the sauce
  • Remove the chicken from the pan and also the vegetables. In a pan sauté some chopped onions, garlic and ginger in butter. Add the liquid from the roasting pan and keep cooking till it is reduced to a rather thick consistency. You can add a little hot water to the roasting pan and scrape out all the dried juices to make more of the sauce. Pour this over the carved pieces of the chicken.
Tips
  • If you see that the skin of the chicken is turning brown before the chicken gets cooked, cover the chicken loosely with an aluminium foil. Remove the foil during the last 20 minutes of the cooking to get the skin browned
  • You can stuff the chicken with vegetables like carrot, onions, full unpeeled garlic pods, mint leaves, coriander leaves etc. The stuffed chicken takes longer to cook
Marinade Option II
  • 2 table spoons of lemon juice
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2-3 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic paste
  • 1 tablespoon of black pepper
  • ½ teaspoons each of rosemary, thyme, oregano or 1 tablespoon of mixed Italian herbs
  • Chopped fresh basil leaves
  • Chopped parsley or coriander leaves
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon of honey (optional)
Try this at your own risk. -Biju

A good link on roasting the chicken - Roasting a chicken - how to prepare a chicken to roast including cleaning, seasoning and trussing plus roasting times

Last edited by pjbiju : 16th September 2010 at 14:56.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:33   #334
BHPian

Gobi Manchurian

Hi Guys,

Tried to make Gobi Manchurian yesterday, didn't turn out to be so good. Anyways, posting the receipie so that you learn from my mistakes

I got a medium size Gobi and Gobi Manchurian Mix:-

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-gobi.jpg

Broke it into pieces and fried it:-
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-gobi1.jpg

Chopped 2 small onions and fried it along with Gobi:-
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-gobi2.jpg

Mix water into Manchurian Batter mix and leave for sometime:-
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-gobi3.jpg

Deep fry Gobi after leaving it mixed well with the Batter mix until it turns brown and crisp. Pour the Manchurian Gravy and sauté for few minutes

You can cop few green chillies and mix as well, depending on your choice.

Here is what you get if you follow the above steps Try at your own risk
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-gobi4.jpg

and let me know what went wrong with my dish.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:09   #335
Senior - BHPian

Learnt a bit of cooking recently - sambar, vatha kuzhambu and potato fry. My potato fry is quite decent if I may say so myself. My sambar - well, I think it is awesome but looks like I am the only one who thinks so . Nowadays I (try to) go into a cooking spree whenever the wife is not at home.

Still can't figure out how to make coffee or tea.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:59   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
....main ingredient is the ghost chilly (booth Jalokia) and its suicide to have more than 2 drops. lol!...
Hehe, John, you ain't seen nothing yet!
What if I eat a half chilly with my meal and live to tell the tale!?
I'll need a handsome wager for this!
Old 17th September 2010, 20:28   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Hehe, John, you ain't seen nothing yet!
What if I eat a half chilly with my meal and live to tell the tale!?
I'll need a handsome wager for this!
Anup, yours is some stomach with steel walls, I have a bunch of Habs and Raja mircha and also local variety from kerala called "kandari" all neat stuff that can send the brains spinning.. but the B.Jaloo is mad stuff man. and my friend has made a sauce with all these cazy chillies. the combo of all of them is FIRE.

here is a pic of the sober side, this is beef roast. with a personal twist.
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-photo.jpg  

Old 18th September 2010, 09:38   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
... and let me know what went wrong with my dish.
Err... did you fry the cauliflower and the batter separately? From the last pic it looks like that! One is supposed to dip the cauliflower florets in the batter (batter mix prepared with some water) and then deep fry them till crisp and light brown. The batter fried florets should look like pakoras. To ensure batter does not fall off the florets while frying, toss the florets in some of the dry batter mix to evenly coat them before putting them in the batter.

Then one prepares the glazing - fry the onions (chopped, not sliced), chopped garlic and green chillies, and add the liquid in the sachet. When it comes to boil, drop in the fired cauliflower florets and toss the whole thing to evenly cover the florets. Don't stir too much or keep it long in the liquid - that will make the whole thing soggy and pulpy. Sprinkle some chopped coriander in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
... here is a pic of the sober side, this is beef roast. with a personal twist.
Hello, how did you manage to roast the beef medallion and yet keep the potatoes pristine??? I have tried many times rather unsuccessfully, you must be having some trick.
Old 18th September 2010, 10:49   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hello, how did you manage to roast the beef medallion and yet keep the potatoes pristine??? I have tried many times rather unsuccessfully, you must be having some trick.
From the picture, it does not look like he roasted the potatoes along with the beef. The potatoes look like they were boiled and quartered and added at the end.

-Biju
Old 18th September 2010, 19:27   #340
Team-BHP Support

A part of the Mutton Shoulder. About 450 gms in weight.
Fat removed, cleaned and the bone cracked. Some deep cuts on the meat.

Marinade:
Clove
Cardamom.
Cinnamon
Lemon Juice
Dhania Powder
Olive Oil
Black pepper powder.
Salt

Since I was busy, the marination period was almost 36 hours.

Transferred the meat and all the marinade into a thick bottom pan that has a been coated with a little oil. I use an oil spray for this.
Cooked at low flame in the covered dish.
Once the marinade dried up, added some oil and water.
Cover and continue on low flame.
Every 15 mins or so check the water. If all the water is dried add some more. No more than half a cup at a time.
Keep turning the meat everytime you add the water.

Some 1.5 hours of cooking and the meat has gone very tender and starts separating from the bone.

Goes great with Indian breads. I picked up 3 Hyderabadi Shermal Naans.

The marinade was completely my idea. A little less lemon would have been good. I forgot to add Garlic..
But over all the flavor was very nice and the clove+cardamom gave it a nice touch.
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-mutton.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 18th September 2010 at 19:30.
Old 18th September 2010, 19:50   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Quote:
From the picture, it does not look like he roasted the potatoes along with the beef. The potatoes look like they were boiled and quartered and added at the end.-Biju
Yes, Biju is right! the potatoes were cooked separate. The roast was done on a stone and the potatoes almost fully boiled, then after adding them together in the baking pan, they were put in the oven for 20 mins. the potatoes have the roast beef flavor and look alive. this was jus another experiment. it worked!

Last edited by johnda : 18th September 2010 at 19:52.
Old 18th September 2010, 22:05   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some 1.5 hours of cooking and the meat has gone very tender and starts separating from the bone.

Goes great with Indian breads. I picked up 3 Hyderabadi Shermal Naans.

The marinade was completely my idea. A little less lemon would have been good. I forgot to add Garlic..
But over all the flavor was very nice and the clove+cardamom gave it a nice touch.
Looks nice! I think adding raw papaya paste to the marinade would have reduced the cooking time. I will try it out one of these days. My son would love this.

-Biju
Old 19th September 2010, 13:06   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks nice! I think adding raw papaya paste to the marinade would have reduced the cooking time. I will try it out one of these days. My son would love this.

-Biju
This dish was a surprise for wife.

She was staying over at her parents house and on an impulse I bought some meat. Came home and checked out what is available.

We never use raw papaya in my house. None of the regular cooks at home use it. Neither my folks nor my wife's folks. So its not available.

I missed my favorite marinating agent, vinegar.

The cooking time was high because I wanted it to be pash-pash*.

So made do with was all I found. I like the hidden spicy nature of cloves and my wife likes the taste of cinnamon. If she was home no way would this have not had some garlic in it.

Do post the pics and the marinade you used.

*pash-pash: meat going completely fibrous. Its how we refer to it at home. pash-pash.
Old 19th September 2010, 17:51   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Good to see this thread.I cook (only chicken) on weekends and this is my favorite pastime.

To begin with, i will post recipe of one of my favorite dish called ANDHRA PEPPER CHICKEN.

Ingredients

* 1KG Chicken ( each piece- 50 gms)
* 1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder (Pisi Haldi)
* 1 tsp. Ginger Paste (Pisi Adrak)
* 1 tsp. Garlic Paste (Pisa Lehsan)
* 20-30 grams of Green Chilli Paste (depends on your spice buds)
* Salt (to taste)
* 30 ml of Lemon Juice (Nimbu Arkh)
* 50 ml Cooking Oil
* 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds (Sufaid Zeera)
* 4 Curry Leaves (Karhi Patta)
* 4 medium Onions
* 400 gms curd
* 1 ½ tbsp. Coriander Powder (Pisa Dhania)
* 1.5 tsp. Crushed or pepper powder (depends on your taste)
* A bunch of Fresh Coriander/Cilantro Leaves (Hara Dhania)

Methodology

1. Peel onions and chop. Chop the coriander leaves. Marinate the chicken (for 1 hour) with turmeric, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilli paste, salt and lemon juice.

2. In a kadai or heavy based pot, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. When the cumin crackles, add in the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown.

3. Add the curry leaves, coriander powder and crushed pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes and add in the marinated chicken.

4. Sear on high flame, Add curd (whipped) then reduce heat and cook for another 15 minutes - stirring occasionally.

5. Sprinkle in the chopped coriander leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Before serving garnish with few coriander leaves.
My family is out of town so that leaves me alone to experiment I'm going to try making this today. Will post back on how it goes.
Old 19th September 2010, 21:13   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This dish was a surprise for wife.

We never use raw papaya in my house. None of the regular cooks at home use it. Neither my folks nor my wife's folks. So its not available.

I missed my favorite marinating agent, vinegar.

The cooking time was high because I wanted it to be pash-pash*.

So made do with was all I found. I like the hidden spicy nature of cloves and my wife likes the taste of cinnamon. If she was home no way would this have not had some garlic in it.

Do post the pics and the marinade you used.

*pash-pash: meat going completely fibrous. Its how we refer to it at home. pash-pash.
Your wife is lucky to have you around.

Papain contained in raw papaya (basically in the papaya latex) breaks down meat proteins very quickly and effectively, tenderizing it. You need around 2 tablespoons per 1/2 kg of meat and the meat need to be kept at around 40 degree Celsius for about 2 hours. It works best with red meat. Make a paste with mostly the skin part (¼” thick raw papaya from the skin side, without removing the skin) of the raw papaya and use that. Try it the next time. Curd is also a meat tenderizer mostly used for white meat like chicken etc.

Raw papaya is also a good vegetable without the skin.

I will surely post a picture once I make this.

-Biju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks