Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2020, 01:00   #1831
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Okay, a question for people familiar with Kerala cuisine. I am interested in cooking https://www.keralatourism.org/kerala...larthiyathu/38

This is the second time I will attempt a Kerala dish (Coconut milk stew being my first).
I have a few questions
  1. It says 2 sprigs for curry leaves. We usually get loose leaves in a packet here, how much is two sprigs, any picture
  2. What is trimmed beef? What kind of cut is needed for this recipe. I am thinking standard stew cut from shoulder?
  3. Coconut? Fresh, dried? Will coconut milk or powder work. Difficult to get fresh coconut here
  4. The method of preparation on page is 2 lines. Any specific tips you can give?
Old 18th January 2020, 08:25   #1832
Senior - BHPian

That newsmaking tweet of Kerala Tourism has clearly inspired you

Two sprigs means about a couple of dozen curry leaves should work fine. If sprigs of coriander are mentioned, two sprigs would be about a small handful of coriander leaf.

Standard chili cuts will work - chuck works great, or brisket is fine too, when cut into bite sized pieces. "Trimmed" means you need to remove fat and gristle from the beef. That is much more of an issue when you're cooking overaged buffalo which is what passes for beef in India.

Fresh grated coconut is best - if not use coconut powder to dust the beef. As you're in San Jose you could try the San Jose Flea Market, or one of the farmers market type places like Felipe's Market in Sunnyvale.

Marinate the beef - coat the beef with the spice mix and then the ginger garlic vinegar salt etc, stick it all in a ziploc bag and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Use a higher grade of vinegar such as Japanese Hon Mirin instead of regular cooking vinegar.

Tempering is the usual "tadka" / "thaalippu" process of putting some spices and garlic etc in hot oil till the mustard pops, the garlic browns etc.

Use very little oil and cook the beef for a long time on a low flame so that it releases its own fats and cooks in them. The coated coconut powder will absorb some of the fats and produce a delicious crusted layer on top of the beef - but thin slivers of fresh coconut taste best if you can get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, a question for people familiar with Kerala cuisine. I am interested in cooking https://www.keralatourism.org/kerala...larthiyathu/38

This is the second time I will attempt a Kerala dish (Coconut milk stew being my first).
I have a few questions
  1. It says 2 sprigs for curry leaves. We usually get loose leaves in a packet here, how much is two sprigs, any picture
  2. What is trimmed beef? What kind of cut is needed for this recipe. I am thinking standard stew cut from shoulder?
  3. Coconut? Fresh, dried? Will coconut milk or powder work. Difficult to get fresh coconut here
  4. The method of preparation on page is 2 lines. Any specific tips you can give?

Last edited by hserus : 18th January 2020 at 08:28.
Old 18th January 2020, 08:41   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a few questions

Hserus has answered most of your queries.

I normally don't grind the masalas.
For coconut I use only thing slivers.
Beef in India as Hserus mentioned is mostly Buffalo- even in Kerala. So the taste and texture is slightly different.

In Singapore I normally buy Brisket cubes. I have tried with Shin and has worked well as well.
Some recipes ask to cook the beef first with some masala in a cooker, but I don't do that.

This is one sprig of Curry leaves. Of course size will vary. I will use a couple of these atleast for 750 gm beef. I like the flavor let out by Curry leaves so don't skimp on it and normally will improvise and add/reduce depending on the feel.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-screenshot_20200118111003__01.jpg

Incidentally I will be cooking Beef as well today.
Will be trying Beef Rendang - A Malaysian/Indonesian dish.
Old 18th January 2020, 08:51   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Some recipes ask to cook the beef first with some masala in a cooker, but I don't do that.
The cooker is to soften the buffalo meat, which is much tougher than beef due to the extreme age of the animal (only the animals too old for milking are usually slaughtered for meat).

When you're buying proper beef that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 18th January 2020, 08:55   #1835
BHPian

Whenever I go abroad I carry a small 2 liter cooker and certain essential ingredients of Indian cooking such as spices and powders. I ensure that I get a hotel or inn with a kitchenette. My first shopping as soon as I land is some onions, tomatoes and green vegetables, a bit of vegetable oil. That’s it. I have sumptuous Indian meal every evening and if friends or colleagues stay nearby they get to join me for dinner along with some wine or beer.
Old 18th January 2020, 09:15   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Cooking isn’t the pain while traveling - it is doing the dishes and cleaning up the kitchenette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Whenever I go abroad I carry a small 2 liter cooker and certain essential ingredients of Indian cooking such as spices and powders. I ensure that I get a hotel or inn with a kitchenette. My first shopping as soon as I land is some onions, tomatoes and green vegetables, a bit of vegetable oil. That’s it. I have sumptuous Indian meal every evening and if friends or colleagues stay nearby they get to join me for dinner along with some wine or beer.
Old 18th January 2020, 10:29   #1837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Coconut? Fresh, dried? Will coconut milk or powder work. Difficult to get fresh coconut here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Fresh grated coconut is best - if not use coconut powder to dust the beef. As you're in San Jose you could try the San Jose Flea Market, or one of the farmers market type places like Felipe's Market in Sunnyvale.
For the traditional beef ularthiyathu it is always Thengakothu (small size fresh coconut pieces) fried until golden-brown.
Old 18th January 2020, 10:30   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For the traditional beef ularthiyathu it is always Thengakothu (small size fresh coconut pieces) fried until golden-brown.
Well he said it is not available in the Bay Area (though lucky for him he’s near a place where he should be able to source it)

Last edited by hserus : 18th January 2020 at 10:37.
Old 18th January 2020, 10:34   #1839
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton guys. I guess I will hit Madras grocery etc., for fresh coconut. They usually have it. I know many places sell whole coconut. I guess I am too lazy to wrestle with a coconut so will find one which sells slivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Well he said it is not available in the Bay Area (though lucky for him he’s near a place where he should be able to source it(
I think I can find it if I try hard, so should not be a big problem. That said I would have never heard of this dish if not for the controversy. I have always been cooking it mutton style in the past, but felt it did not do justice to the meat

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th January 2020 at 10:36.
Old 18th January 2020, 10:38   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I can find it if I try hard, so should not be a big problem. That said I would have never heard of this dish if not for the controversy. I have always been cooking it mutton style in the past, but felt it did not do justice to the meat
Beef is an ancient tradition in several parts of India so look up north eastern recipes as well
Old 19th January 2020, 08:06   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have always been cooking it mutton style in the past, but felt it did not do justice to the meat
You are right. It won't do justice. In my heavily biased opinion Beef ularthiyath and Beef chilly Dry is perhaps among the best examples of easily available beef dishes in India.

It has a special connect to keraliites. Porotta Beef is something most of us swear by. There is a movie scene that references this as well.

BTW my preparation yesterday - Beef Rendang. The curry didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. Though the beef was cooked to perfection. Didn't use a cooker.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-psx_20200118_170203.jpg

My wife prepared Chicken Biryani OPOS way (I would call it Pulao for the way it's prepared). She used our 5 L cooker that she has already standardised in the past.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img20200118wa0011.jpg

Cooking time was exactly 8 minutes. Give another 15 mins to all the chopping, cleaning, layering etc. That's your dish ready in under 30 mins.

Last edited by vibbs : 19th January 2020 at 08:14.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:06   #1842
Team-BHP Support

In baking a pizza, what can be used instead of eggs in making the base?
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:27   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
In baking a pizza, what can be used instead of eggs in making the base?
Pizza dough has no eggs, it is same mix as bread - Flour, Yeast and Water.

Eggs are used in cakes, noodles and some pastries, but never in breads.
Old 2nd March 2020, 11:33   #1844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Pizza dough has no eggs, it is same mix as bread - Flour, Yeast and Water.
https://detoxinista.com/the-secret-t...r-pizza-crust/

I was trying out this. The base is completely dry, unsure, save for me, anyone is gonna eat it.
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:42   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
https://detoxinista.com/the-secret-t...r-pizza-crust/

I was trying out this. The base is completely dry, unsure, save for me, anyone is gonna eat it.
This recipe is basically for those westerners who are either glucose intolerant or would like to experiment. In my opinion a baked "Gobi" tastes pretty awful, but you can always try it. As most North Indians have wheat based breads regularly, it is unlikely they are glucose intolerant.

Basically instead of wheat flour this recipe calls for cauliflower base. As cauliflower does not bind, you have to use egg as a binder. In case you are not particularly adamant about "gluten free" you can use a bit of Maida as a binder. But then you get a "Gobi ka Paratha" (as is made in a tandoor at many places) and not Pizza.

Given an option I would always go for a traditional Pizza Base or make a Gobi-ka-Paratha.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks