Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:30   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

The usual method for this is called a bouquet garni in french cuisine, and biryani / other non veg dish preparation uses a similar method called potli masala. Tie up all the spices in a small cloth such as a handkerchief or a square torn from an old dhoti and drop it into the vessel. Take out the bundle once the dish is cooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Look for a Stainless steel "Tea Infuser" (pretty small and inexpensive actually) - place the tea bag inside it, lock it and drop the strainer inside the cooker. This way, even if the tea bag were to disntegrate/tear it would remain inside the mesh ball of the Tea infuser.

We use this method for something similar - daughter doesn't like the presence of full/bits of spices like peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon in the food so we "infuse" the flavor of the spices into the food and then discard the remains after its cooked
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:49   #1877
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Tie up all the spices in a small cloth such as a handkerchief or a square torn from an old dhoti and drop it into the vessel. Take out the bundle once the dish is cooked.
Yes we do this as well for some dishes using muslin cloth. Find the tea infuser more durable and easier for some dishes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How to leave a 'tea bag' inside a cooker with 'channa'? Doesn't the bag melt, if left 3 - 4 whistles?
In fact with the tea infuser you don't need tea bags, you can just use tea leaves inside the mesh ball of the infuser.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd April 2020 at 10:52.
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:07   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Took some time out during Work from home to cook Muringa leaves.

Had seen these at the Indian shop in the wet market near us. Instantly reminded me of my Engineering days in Kerala when I used to eat this a lot at my home town during holidays.

First time made it myself. Toughest part is removing the leaves from the stem. But the taste makes it well worth.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img20200402wa0005.jpg

In case someone is wondering what's a Muringa leaf. The leaves of Drumstick plant.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img20200402wa0002.jpg
vibbs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:48   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How to leave a 'tea bag' inside a cooker with 'channa'? Doesn't the bag melt, if left 3 - 4 whistles?
Hasn't melted so far. On odd occasions the tea bag has come apart, but that was more to do poor quality of the odd bag to begin with!

Also, we've mostly not had to go beyond two whistles. The soaking time is about 12-16 hrs with water changed once half way through. The practice at our home has been to soak it in water with some salt to go with. If there is some rush involved and we need to have a lower soaking time, we've typically employed a bit/pinch of baking soda while soaking.

No issues as such so far.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 15:07   #1880
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I cooked it last week almost in similar looking style using Moong Daal. The leaves I had somehow tasted too much sour to my liking.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 16:44   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
What is it that you are making? Could you give a brief description of what/how?

At my parents place, they have two drumstick trees in their garden. Many in the neighborhood benefit from taking copious amounts of drumsticks fresh off the trees. For some reason, I've never liked drumsticks - either in sambhar or veggies! Not the taste itself, but the process of eating them has just never appealed to me!

However, on one of my visits to my parents', they offered me moringa tea. That was awesome. Apparently, they had learned it from some friends that were visiting us from Philippines.

One lady at my workplace requests for the soft newer looking moringa leaves whenever I visit my parents. I just get them for her. Apparently to help with her BP. Never cooked myself though - lockdown is throwing up ideas!

I should possibly give it a try myself. Will have to await the lockdown to be over before I can get the moringa though.

With that much of moringa leaves in your dish, does it not taste bitter?
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:16   #1882
Senior - BHPian

It is just a palak dal made with drumstick leaves - which have a characteristic sour taste but are prepared just like regular palak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:56   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

?
As Hserus said, it's like palak daal with drumstick leaves instead of Paalak.

It is bitter, but how bitter depends on the age of leaves and how long you cook. If you cook for long it becomes more bitter.

We also add coconut gravy which masks the bitter taste a bit.

Cook daal and mash it to a smooth consistency.

My wife has OPOSed daal (see photo) which I used. She OPOSes daal frequently and freezes it. It already contains Oil and Haldi. So you need to cook daal with Haldi and oil (so that it does not spew from the cooker). I used 3 fist sized balls of this.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img20200403wa0021.jpg

Add enough water once the daal is mashed. Don't make it too watery.

Make a smooth paste of Coconut, Jeera and green chilli. Add it to the watered down daal.

Add salt to taste, add some kashmiri lal chilli powder (optional) just for color.

Bring it to a good boil. Add leaves and let it boil for a minute or two.
Switch the gas off, close with a lid so that flavours get mixed up.

The leaves should be plucked with as less stem as possible. See the photo for an idea.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img20200403wa0022.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img20200403wa0023.jpg
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 18:30   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
As Hserus said, it's like palak daal with drumstick leaves instead of Paalak.
Thanks, Vibbs. Much appreciate the time and effort for the details with pictures.

Quick question: coconut gravy = paste of Coconut, Jeera and green chilli?

Thanks.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 18:38   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Vibbs. Much appreciate the time and effort for the details with pictures.

Quick question: coconut gravy = paste of Coconut, Jeera and green chilli?

Thanks.
Yupe that's all I used.

Grated coconut Jeera and green chilli in a mixer to make a paste.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 23:16   #1886
BHPian

Has anyone tried making Hummus in India? How did it turn out? Could you share your recipe?

I had gone out this late afternoon for some grocery and saw Tahini in the stores. Did consider getting it to try making some hummus, but decided to check here first to see if folks have used specific tahini brands they may have liked for making hummus.

Thanks.
Old 12th April 2020, 18:17   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried making Hummus in India? How did it turn out? Could you share your recipe?

I had gone out this late afternoon for some grocery and saw Tahini in the stores. Did consider getting it to try making some hummus, but decided to check here first to see if folks have used specific tahini brands they may have liked for making hummus.

Thanks.
It works fairly well for me. Just boil some chickpeas (chole) till the point they are soft and can be crushed easily. Take some white sesame seeds and dry roast them till the time they become aromatic. Grind the same to make a coarse powder. Keep it aside.

Now add, chickpeas, white sesame powder, some cumin seeds, 2 garlic cloves and olive oil in the grinder. I usually add some lemon and maggi masala to the overall mix for added flavor-you can take a call on the same as per your taste buds.
Utopian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 09:44   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
In fact with the tea infuser you don't need tea bags, you can just use tea leaves inside the mesh ball of the infuser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Tie up all the spices in a small cloth such as a handkerchief or a square torn from an old dhoti and drop it into the vessel. Take out the bundle once the dish is cooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Tea bags don't disintegrate and they don't leave a bitter taste when boiled with chickpeas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I have seen my ex-colleague's wife dropping a tea bag into the pressure cooker with Chickpeas, and the bag stayed intact
Thanks Guys!

I hereby present my efforts, which was made by dropping 2 'Tetley' bags!
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-93407237_10221091398010337_2177476151952277504_o.jpg  

JMaruru is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 14:23   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I plan to cook Daal chicken tomorrow. Anyone has some good recipe suggestion for this?
Old 30th April 2020, 16:01   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I plan to cook Daal chicken tomorrow. Anyone has some good recipe suggestion for this?
Well, I do cook Daal Chicken once in a while. This lockdown has given me time to cook some real time consuming dishes over the last one month
I follow a fairly simple recipe:
Pressure cook three daals( usually Masoor, Toor and Cholar Daal) firstly. Hand blending the Daal into an even mix and let it cool for some time. One can add some cauliflower stems or some beans for added flavour along with Daal. Cutting onions along with some fresh ginger, few cloves of garlic and sauté in mustard oil till light brown, adding the chicken onto it. Add the usual masalas like some Turmeric, Red chilli and Garam Masala and fry the whole thing for some time. Just when the oil starts to separate, I put the daal mixture into the chicken. Cook the chicken until tender and the thickening of the gravy, one or two spilt green chillies for some heat and garnish with coriander leaves. If one puts Bay leaf for flavour early then there is no need for coriander though ..varies according to taste. Doesn’t take much of a time and goes well with rice as well as Roti

P.S - Bengal gram is Cholar Daal in Bangla
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks