Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 19:36   #1981
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

I had recorded this video some weeks back on the mutton shoulder.

No oven used.

bblost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 20:55   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Next with respect to the lagging of restaurants, when comparing please keep in mind that the computer retail or clothing or even automotive businesses that you are using as an comparison do not have perishables as a product.

The food business in India is very cost intensive, especially the fixed cost and the profitability is low. So unless you have a huge back up of finance and can sustain oneself for at least a year, a new restaurateur would not venture into exotic or gourmet food. We Indians like to eat outside but barring a few we are not willing to pay for it. How does a restaurateur sustain? There are exceptions of course, but they are exceptions. The question to be asked is - Why did the French Laundry, the Fat Duck and El Bulli shut down!
Good analysis! Off the cuff, not sure it's fully right. Others may also have different opinions. I will think on it. Thanks for the input, anyway.

BTW, only El Bulli is closed. The chef has gone into flavouring consultancy. His staff, including his brother, have opened several restaurants in Barcelona!

Ferran Adria Speaks on His 35 volume Food Encyclopaedia

“People ask me if you’ll need the Bullipedia to know how to fry an egg,” he scoffed. “Of course not. But if you want to really understand why we eat eggs, or eat at restaurants, or eat at all, then you can get the answer in the Bullipedia.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq-...-interview/amp

Last edited by proton : 18th July 2021 at 21:11.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 21:14   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Good analysis! Off the cuff, not sure it's fully right. Others may also have different opinions. I will think on it. Thanks for the input, anyway.
Pleasure. Let me also give you some more food for thought.

The 3 restaurants quoted by you are all abroad and command a pricing of around Rs.30,000/- per person per meal for a TDH or fixed menu.

The celebrity chef's there would take offence if you add a bit of salt to your food after you have been served. Can this be done in India?

Also, how many people in India will be willing to spend this amount for 1 meal in India. Would you be willing to spend this amount in India for a similar experience. The emphasis being "in India". Do keep in mind that this is not a buffet but a TDH menu.

Enjoy your week ahead.
Old 21st July 2021, 09:55   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Pleasure. Let me also give you some more food for thought.

The 3 restaurants quoted by you are all abroad and command a pricing of around Rs.30,000/- per person per meal for a TDH or fixed menu.

The celebrity chef's there would take offence if you add a bit of salt to your food after you have been served. Can this be done in India?

Also, how many people in India will be willing to spend this amount for 1 meal in India. Would you be willing to spend this amount in India for a similar experience. The emphasis being "in India". Do keep in mind that this is not a buffet but a TDH menu.
Good inputs so far.

How does setting up a food unit, avoiding the obstacles brought up, sound to you?

The plan is to offer high end degustation style Indian food

Sustainability, through avoiding:

1. High overheads, by hiring space on per day basis

2. Perishable losses, by only taking prepaid bookings

Basically, these will be events configured like catered functions.

On the last trip back from Barcelona, the relief on the faces (and lips) of my fellow passengers getting off the plane was like a sun burst, furnace blast. They were all saying, "Curry, Curry, Curry"!

We all love our sambar, and rasam and kurma, and even though we aren't bored with it, we would welcome versions using high end ingredients, cooking techniques that respect the ingredients and flavourings that offer variety (Recently tasted a chicken lavabda to die for. Also, a Guj friend showed us how to use just two spices, saffron and kalongji, to make a wonderful, delicate, baji).

Anticipated special activity:

1. Currently restaurants buy ingredients in the morning that MUST sell by night or incur loss. Reserved Prix Fixe (TDH) will avoid this.

2. On another thread, I asked about purchasing Covid-19 insurance on a monthly basis, for my staff. This is another cost I will be investing in. Too many bad stories makes this mandatory.

3. Many locations used for functions have become available. Will be looking up and negotiating for these.

How does this sound as a project, attempt, for Michelin domination? It's not Mars or bust, but it's a start, no? I do think there is a market for high end food experiences from locals as well as tourists. Imagine, Tandoori Foie Gras!
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 09:58   #1985
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, need suggestions:

My mum wants to chop cabbage into think long strips, for use in salad. Apart from cutting, is there any scraper kind of thing that can be used ? Pls suggest.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 10:13   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Folks, need suggestions:

My mum wants to chop cabbage into think long strips, for use in salad. Apart from cutting, is there any scraper kind of thing that can be used ? Pls suggest.
You can buy mandolins, for julienning cabbage, carrots, potatoes, etc.

I helped out in my cousin's restaurant in Barcelona, operating an automatic machine, which can make 100 kgs of potato wafers per hour, like this. Amazon sells manual versions, which are very sharp!

Last edited by proton : 21st July 2021 at 10:21.
proton is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 12:07   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need suggestions:

Something like this from Amazon might help.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 12:54   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need suggestions:

Keyword: spiralizer

You get vegetable spiralizers on Amazon. But for cabbage, you'd need something like this:

https://inspiralized.com/how-to-spiralize-red-cabbage
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 13:01   #1989
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need suggestions:

https://www.amazon.in/Kuber-Industri...852596&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.in/ZUCLLIN%C2%AE-...852596&sr=8-18

https://www.amazon.in/EXPRESSIONSS-S...6852596&sr=8-6

Do you have anything like any of these at home? You could happily use that.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 13:04   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need suggestions:

The ultimate mandolin(e):

https://www.amazon.in/KIRFIZ-Stainle...+slicer&sr=8-9

IKEA has basic models.

Last edited by proton : 21st July 2021 at 13:05.
Old 21st July 2021, 22:00   #1991
BHPian

Very interesting view. Let me try to put in my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Good inputs so far.

How does setting up a food unit, avoiding the obstacles brought up, sound to you? - Sounds Good. But how do we avoid some basic obstacles?
The plan is to offer high end degustation style Indian food. Good Food for thought (Pun Intended)

Sustainability, through avoiding:

1. High overheads, by hiring space on per day basis. Practically not possible. Reasons - Equipment's cannot be moved around every day. Location cannot change every day. Owners of premises may not agree.

2. Perishable losses, by only taking prepaid bookings. Can be done if bookings are confirmed and paid for at least 72 hours in advance with no option of refund or cancellation. But how would this stand in front of the court of law. Keep in mind there are idiots who go to court because a restaurant has rounded the amount to the nearest rupee.

Basically, these will be events configured like catered functions.

On the last trip back from Barcelona, the relief on the faces (and lips) of my fellow passengers getting off the plane was like a sun burst, furnace blast. They were all saying, "Curry, Curry, Curry"!

We all love our sambar, and rasam and kurma, and even though we aren't bored with it, we would welcome versions using high end ingredients, cooking techniques that respect the ingredients and flavourings that offer variety (Recently tasted a chicken lavabda to die for. Also, a Guj friend showed us how to use just two spices, saffron and kalongji, to make a wonderful, delicate, baji).

Indian dishes unlike western are very unique. A biryani can be made in at least 10 different ways with different cooking techniques and each of them would be WOW if made right. Shivaji Nagar Biryani at 3 am is an example. Bade Miya's kebab's vs Tunde kebabs. Similarly for a Sambar, Rasam or most other dishes. A Kannadiga sambar is very different to a tamilian one. Breakfast sambar is different to the lunch one in TN.

Anticipated special activity:

1. Currently restaurants buy ingredients in the morning that MUST sell by night or incur loss. Reserved Prix Fixe (TDH) will avoid this. Actually no. Only the street carts or small messes do this. Most restaurants would roll over their balance ingredients.

2. On another thread, I asked about purchasing Covid-19 insurance on a monthly basis, for my staff. This is another cost I will be investing in. Too many bad stories makes this mandatory.

3. Many locations used for functions have become available. Will be looking up and negotiating for these. Good thought

How does this sound as a project, attempt, for Michelin domination? It's not Mars or bust, but it's a start, no? I do think there is a market for high end food experiences from locals as well as tourists. Imagine, Tandoori Foie Gras! Good thought but again are we looking at traditional or fusion is the first question. Getting the right Chef is the second. There are many more
Old 22nd July 2021, 00:19   #1992
BHPian

Any BHP-ian from Gujarat here can share the recipe for Surti Ghotala that can be made at home? It's basically an Egg Dish famous for it's origins in Surat, Gujarat. Lip-smackingly delicious to say the least. Tried making it based on some Youtube videos but still doesn't taste as well as the one I've had during visits to Surat.
P.s. Candid confession that I'm a terrible cook, but like to rustle up randomly on weekends.
IamNikhil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:22   #1993
BANNED

Guys, I am looking for a small weighing scale to weight some cooking ingredients - something which could measure up to 200 odd gms would be fine. Amazon has this identically scale sold by around 100 sellers - Name:  Scale.png
Views: 304
Size:  245.5 KB. It costs around 150 - 500 Rs depending on the seller (for the identical one)

I have purchased this a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to be of good quality, the buttons get loose soon. Also it can't seem to handle moisture well.

Anyone know of a decent quality scale - 200 gm is the highest weight I would be measuring. "Tare" would be great but not a must.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:31   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Guys, I am looking for a small weighing scale to weight some cooking ingredients -

Anyone know of a decent quality scale - 200 gm is the highest weight I would be measuring. "Tare" would be great but not a must.
You can check this out, a product from Dr. Trust, so a branded one.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08BGGX516/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:37   #1995
Team-BHP Support

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VQGVL68/...S043NT65KA0KVQ

I use a similar product since the past few years. It's very good.

I know it's accurate because once in a while I put an entire packet of flour and it will say what was printed in the packet.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks