Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 08:08   #31
BHPian

I have been using a barun electric shaver and trimmer for the past 6 months, and yes it has good quality blade, still working as new. good to cut through thick beard and easy to make a french beard too, means the lines are clear to cut. I even have a Mach 3, got as give. it is good for a complete shave. and the blade is longlasting
Old 24th March 2010, 09:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meonbhp View Post
Btw, Which aftershave do you guys use? I want to try ones in lotion/balm form. Or a good alcohol-free moisturizer.. Any recommendations?
vegetable oil. Coconut/mustard/almond. works like a charm.
Old 24th March 2010, 09:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have been happy with the Gillette Presto disposable twin blade razor for over a decade and a half now, and have not really looked at anything else!
Old 24th March 2010, 11:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
vegetable oil. Coconut/mustard/almond. works like a charm.
And before applying that - a dab with wet alum - stops bleeding completely in seconds.

BTW I prefer the cut throat straight razor.
Nothing beats that experience!
Old 27th March 2010, 01:40   #35
BHPian

I have been using a Panasonic 8 series foil shaver for about a year now for shaving head, no nicks and cuts at all, very true; comfortable clean shave within 10 minutes, no need to look at the mirror as well. Good for the early morning dash to the office, one can utilize the traffic signal wait, but then all greens on some of those lucky days would not be as good looking

Many people complain of the rotary designs causing razor burns, especially in the neck areas, foils have worked wonderfully for me, the internet reviews guided me to the foil type, not used a rotary shaver personally and can not comment much on that. For that matter, even razors give burns and leave the skin irritable at times, not to worry about with the foil shaver.

Before buying it, inquired with the Panasonic Brand Shop at Koramangala, Bangalore; they were quoting 16K for the 8 series wet and dry shavers where as I got the same purchased and delivered from Amazon to India via vPost Singapore for about 7K. The blades+foil are the same price though, about 2K, needs change at 2 year intervals with regular use on normal beard according to the product manual/ad but many have claimed to go much past 2 years.

With regular use, I have found that when the hair is allowed to grow say 2mm or so, it takes longer to shave, so daily shave or once in two days is good probably for most users. Cleaning is as easy as applying some shampoo/liquid soap, turn the device into cleaning mode and leave under running water till the clean mode completes, pretty useful I would say.
Old 18th April 2010, 00:25   #36
BANNED

Guys, Which is the best trimmer of reasonable cost in the market? I planning to grow a beard but want to trim it as I need to maintain a professional look :-(. Also,how frequently I need to trim it. I hate shaving.

Cheers.
Old 18th April 2010, 01:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also,how frequently I need to trim it.
That really is a piece-of-string question!

Completely depends on how long you want it to be and whether you want to keep it the same length, and how tidy you want to look. If you want to keep it short and neat, you might end up trimming it every day! Unless it is a full-face beard, you might also still have some daily shaving to do.

Only thing you can do is give it a go and see how you get on with it. Remember that, for the first couple of days, you'll look like you just forgot to shave. If I remember right, the first week is the worst...

Unless you want a really neat, short beard, you can trim it with hair-cutting scissors; no nead for anything electric!
Old 18th April 2010, 13:10   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That really is a piece-of-string question!

Completely depends on how long you want it to be and whether you want to keep it the same length, and how tidy you want to look. If you want to keep it short and neat, you might end up trimming it every day! Unless it is a full-face beard, you might also still have some daily shaving to do.

Only thing you can do is give it a go and see how you get on with it. Remember that, for the first couple of days, you'll look like you just forgot to shave. If I remember right, the first week is the worst...

Unless you want a really neat, short beard, you can trim it with hair-cutting scissors; no nead for anything electric!
Thanks mate, could you a recommend a good trimmer and where I could get in Chennai or possible on-line?
Old 18th April 2010, 15:00   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry... my beard experience was about twenty years ago. Recent attempts were given up, as my beard has become very patchy and uneven; a bit like a mangy tabby cat!

Back in those days, my beard was largely a result of laziness, and I didn't much bother about keeping it neat. I think I did have a beard trimmer at some time, but don't remember much about it except that it had different "guards" over the cutter to determine the length of cut.

It was pure coincidence that, by the time I became a Unix systems manager, I had already been wearing beard and sandals (with socks) for a long time. Or heck, maybe it was destiny!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th April 2010 at 15:02.
Old 18th April 2010, 16:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Panasonic ER206 electric trimmer for about 2 years now. It is a basic model and has excellent battery life. I charge it only about once a month for 3 times a week use. Should be available in any decent electronic shop.
Old 8th January 2011, 17:53   #41
BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Guys,

I have got some warts (Pimple-like things due to viral infection) on my face and the dermotologist has advised me NOT to shave bcos shaving spreads the infection further. My alternative is to use an Electric shaver till the treatment ends - maybe 6 months or so.
Need suggestions on the best suitable model for me. I need closest possible shave on both beard and mush areas. And it shouldn't be a dragging type like blades.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Using the Philips 6900 series 'close and easy' electric razor. It's real cool.

Cheers,
Old 8th January 2011, 22:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Braun. I use a Braun PocketGo, 370, which I got from London quite some time back. Very sueful and practical

Has autolock, is washable, has a brush for cleaning, mini razor that pops out from the side for things like side locks etc

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 8th January 2011 at 22:51.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

i am using Philips for as along as i remember. The rotary wala. Its available at chroma etc.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:23   #45
BHPian

Try This !!!
Works like a charm, battery lasts for a week, for daily shaves. but no trimmer ?
Can even use in wet shaves - speciality !
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-myepmp_2009062515421231230615.jpg  

Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-productimg1249478582226.jpg  

Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-productimg1258552225953.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks