Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2010, 18:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been using a Philips for qiute a few years, and managed to find new heads for it on a recent trip to UK, so I expect it to last quite a few years more now. However, it is not ideal; I have to use the trimmer for longer hairs.

Before that I had Braun, which, in retrospect, I preferred. Trouble is that Braun seem to be into the expensive gadget market now. My Philips cost me equivalent of Rs7500 to Rs8000, so, like it or not, I am making it last!

Somehow, I have used electric shavers ever since my bear started to grow, and using a blade on my skin is quite uncomfortable.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Have been using a Philips RQ1053 Arcitec for a week now. Around 135 euros (~ Rs.9000)!
How does it compare with the older rPhillips rotaries?
Does it do a good job in the upper neck. Thinking of getting one...
Old 1st January 2010, 22:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

after trying many and having given up, I bought this one around 3 months back, results have been good so far. The replacement blades cost more than the shaver, so i will just change the shaver when needed.

Amazon.com: Panasonic ES3833S Pro-Curve Wet/Dry Travel Shaver with Case, Silver: Health & Personal Care

my problem is my fat % is so low there are areas under my chin that are very difficult to reach. If i shave after more than 2 days, it's very difficult to lift those hair. Even in razors nothing else works for me except gillette sensor excel (twin blade). the 3,4,5 blades would just glide off not touching those hair.

I was hoping to save time with these but that didn't happen. and I still have to stand in front of the mirror the whole time so really no benefits.
Old 1st January 2010, 23:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Coconut oil

Use coconut oil instead of shaving creams/gels/foam, this will reduce the roughness of skin and beard.
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
my problem is my fat % is so low there are areas under my chin that are very difficult to reach. If i shave after more than 2 days, it's very difficult to lift those hair.
My %ages are on the opposite end of the scale but still some areas are not reachable by the rotary. I always end up doing a touch up job with razor.
Old 3rd January 2010, 08:33   #21
BHPian

The Braun Series 5 shavers are one of the best in the market right now, if not the best. Although it is pretty pricey to start with, it comes highly recommended from people who use it. You can also get the cleaning station along with it which cleans and sterilizes the blades after every shave.

Braun Series 5 590cc Clean & Renew System Electric Rechargeable Foil Shaver: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 3rd January 2010 at 08:34.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:51   #22

Friends, in continuation to the topic... please advice on sporting a beard (which is a new experience for me) and also comment on available trimmers / grooming kits, e.g. Philips QG 3190
Old 6th January 2010, 13:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfeus View Post
Friends, in continuation to the topic... please advice on sporting a beard (which is a new experience for me) and also comment on available trimmers / grooming kits, e.g. Philips QG 3190
if you work in a professional setting, try to stick to soul patch or goatee/french beard. Do not go for full beard santa claus style. And ensure you groom it well so it looks like a managed beard rather than no maintenance facial growth. Also avoid overhangs like late shri Veerappan no matter how much you like it.

apart from that, your facial features will decide which style suits you.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How does it compare with the older rPhillips rotaries?
Does it do a good job in the upper neck. Thinking of getting one...
The shavers are supported by a rubber stalk protruding from the body. Each of the 3 shavers can be be turned - left/right/up/down. Sticks to contours better than the older rotaries.

Post the 'run in' period of 10 days, all is well!
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:18   #25
BHPian

What do you guys think of "Philips Electric shaver HQ7390 Williams F1 Series" ?

Im getting one for appx. 6.5-7k, but the manufacturing date on box is March, 09.

I have read good reviews about it on the net, has anyone used it before?
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:48   #26
BHPian

I have been using a Philips Arcitec for 2 years now and it is fantastic. I don't think I am ever going back to traditional shaving. I bought this from Amazon.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to know why people buy electric shavers -

1. Time Saving? I find that if I use my hand (rather than a shaving brush) for applying lather, I take almost the same time for a razor and Electric Shaver
2. Convenience? You may find an electric shaver convenient for travel, but most of the time I shave at home!
3. Good for skin? I think the good old way of using shaving cream is better for the skin!

I have a Braun and a Philips Shaver at home, but I've reverted to the good old 'single blade' razor. (I use a blade only for one shave, so I feel quite comfortable).
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:54   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe it began with gadget love!

But I have used an electric shaver since I began to grow hair on my face, so my skin has never been used to a blade, and I have never learnt the technique of using one. On the rare occasions when I have, I have found it most uncomfortable.

I can certainly believe that electric is no quicker. I find my Philishave quite fussy about getting the long hairs; it takes a few passes to do the thing thoroughly.

Afterthought: come to think of it, my father used one too ...so maybe it is genetic!
Old 24th March 2010, 00:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

I get razor burns and nicks every time I use a regular shaver. Even going to professional barbers don't solve this. So I use a Panasonic trimmer now. Although I don't get a clean shave, I don't have to deal with the cuts.
Old 24th March 2010, 05:55   #30

Badger & Blade

This is where I get all my shaving gyan.

Btw, Which aftershave do you guys use? I want to try ones in lotion/balm form. Or a good alcohol-free moisturizer.. Any recommendations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks