Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 10:52   #136
BANNED

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

@V.Narayan; Let me repeat what I learnt. Initially changing in very troublesome. You must stick with it for a month or six weeks, then you get used to it. Once you cross the initial hurdle life is very smooth.
Old 31st July 2017, 13:48   #137
BHPian

I've used a Panasonic ES-LT41-K Arc3 Wet Dry Electric Razor for more than 3 months but not entirely satisfied. I'd to use the manual razor regularly for some touchup in some areas. Also, if I try to get smoother shave it used to irritate the skin. I always used wet shaving. This is the product link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My beard is tough but the skin is prone to irritation. I shave daily. Is there any better option among the electric razors?
Old 1st August 2017, 08:05   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

sgiitk, latentpotential, sagarpadaki, jaguar, thank you for your advice. My youngest who is returning home after a long stint was deputed to go with one of her male friends and buy the Philips or Braun model with the oil. Lets see what she gets. She expressed shock at the price - doesn't know it is going to be a gift from her to her Papa! Best regards, Narayan
Old 1st August 2017, 11:02   #139
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT, its not about Razors, but shaving creams.

I have always used Foam based shaving cream with Gillete Mach 3, and have never found a reason to change.

Few days back someone gifted me a Dettol Gel based shaving cream.

I just don't get the hang of it - how do i use it properly. I take a pea sized extract and rub the area with my hands until it dissolves and spreads evenly on skin. However, i notice that it gets dried very quickly. I put some water as well to moisturize the skin but i do not get the same kind of wetness as with a foam based cream.

Any help how to use a gel based shaving cream optimally?
Old 1st August 2017, 19:05   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

I have always used Foam based shaving cream with Gillete Mach 3, and have never found a reason to change.

Few days back someone gifted me a Dettol Gel based shaving cream.

I just don't get the hang of it - how do i use it properly. I take a pea sized extract and rub the area with my hands until it dissolves and spreads evenly on skin. However, i notice that it gets dried very quickly. I put some water as well to moisturize the skin but i do not get the same kind of wetness as with a foam based cream.

You need a shaving brush and a cup/bowl to make good use of a shaving cream. Read up on wetshaving. You wont go back to the canned stuff. Godrej and Old spice creams are also good.

Trimmer feedback : Guys I bought a Philips Proskin 3000 tto replace my Remington whose charger stopped working and honestly it is the worst trimmer I have used. Doesnt lift and cut the hair finely, leaving patches, is a bit rough, flimsy build quality and battery life of only 15mins vs the advertised 60. Not recommended
Old 2nd August 2017, 00:04   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Between the Philips 9000 and Braun Series 7 what would you suggest? Sorry to be a pain. Thanks in advance for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have not used Braun brand. So i cannot compare. Probably, other members can help you out .
And I haven't used Philips
Just read up on reviews on amazon.com and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I've used a Panasonic ES-LT41-K Arc3 Wet Dry Electric Razor for more than 3 months but not entirely satisfied. I'd to use the manual razor regularly for some touchup in some areas.
There lies the problem. You should completely switch to electric and not touch the razor at all. It takes a few weeks for your skin to get used to electric shaving and during that period you shouldn't use the normal razor. A shaving oil is the best option to reduce irritation but getting a shaving oil in India is almost impossible. Try applying a warm wet towel on your face before the shave. An aftershave might also help, although I never felt the need for an aftershave once I switched to electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
You will get better response in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tro-way-5.html

Last edited by Jaguar : 2nd August 2017 at 00:21.
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:24   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
There lies the problem. You should completely switch to electric and not touch the razor at all. It takes a few weeks for your skin to get used to electric shaving and during that period you shouldn't use the normal razor. A shaving oil is the best option to reduce irritation but getting a shaving oil in India is almost impossible. Try applying a warm wet towel on your face before the shave. An aftershave might also help, although I never felt the need for an aftershave once I switched to electric.
Actually the electric shaver leaves quite a bit of patches of beard here and there. Going to work like that is quite difficult .
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Actually the electric shaver leaves quite a bit of patches of beard here and there. Going to work like that is quite difficult .
Once you get the hang of it this issue will go away. Keep practicing
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:25   #144
BHPian

Quote:
There lies the problem. You should completely switch to electric and not touch the razor at all. It takes a few weeks for your skin to get used to electric shaving and during that period you shouldn't use the normal razor. A shaving oil is the best option to reduce irritation but getting a shaving oil in India is almost impossible.
I bought a shaving oil from amazon India. It's called the Wow Shaving Station - Pre Shave oil - Paraben & Sulphate Free - 50 ml - Cedarwood & Vettiver
Though I use the traditional cream and disposable razor, it makes a world of a difference during and after the shave.
Old 4th August 2017, 00:32   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I bought a shaving oil from amazon India. It's called the Wow Shaving Station - Pre Shave oil - Paraben & Sulphate Free - 50 ml - Cedarwood & Vettiver
Though I use the traditional cream and disposable razor, it makes a world of a difference during and after the shave.
Thanks for the info, will try this when my current one gets over.
I currently use Williams Lectric Shave oil. It is supposedly meant for electric shaving and I am not sure if there is any difference in the oil compared to the ones meant for normal shaving. Most likely just marketing BS.
Old 4th August 2017, 06:33   #146
Senior - BHPian

I have been a Gillette user all my life starting from the venerable Sensor to Fusion Power Pivot now. I have been a happy user except for the Fusion line of 5 blades from Gillette which quite frankly I havent gotten used to even though I am using it. I still feel that Mach 3 is the best Gillette product for shaving. So while shopping in the supermarket I have always looked at other brands but never felt confident of using them or trying them out. A few weeks back the supermarket here was running a promotion on Schick and I decided to try the Schick Hydro 5 Power Select Razor. Seriously guys try this one because its the best 5 blade razor I have used. Much sharper and a lot less irritation compared to Gillette. I see it is available on Amazon India as well

http://www.amazon.in/Schick-Hydro-Po...schick+hydro+5
Old 4th August 2017, 08:25   #147
BANNED

Let me put it - the world is divided into the razor users (about 70-90%) and electric users. As they say East is East and West is West, never the twain shall meet. I belong to the latter - switched in 1974 or so. Only time I found issues is during the rainy season. My son has been using Electric from day one, and has never used a razor.

Once we were in Kadamtala, near Siluguri and knew that electricity was dodgy. So I left my Philips (mains only) at home. After a few days I found using a razor hell. The skin had become so much softer. The rest of the holiday was a nightmare. After the very early days, I stopped shaving every day.
Old 5th August 2017, 09:32   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Received my Philips Series S9000 from Amazon.com USA three days back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
EDIT: Saw that you can purchase abroad as well. In which case Philips Series 9000 would be an ideal buy.
Quote:
Also, get a shaving oil specially made for electric shavers, which makes dry shaving a bit more effective.
one in number Philips 9000 acquired
one in number shaving oil acquired

Is this the shaving oil being referred to?

Thank you for your advice. Now for my 6 weeks of trial by fire
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-img_20170805_085100.jpg  

Old 5th August 2017, 20:16   #149
BHPian

@narayan try making pre shave oil by mixing 3 parts of castor oil and 1 part of olive oil. You can add other essential oils or tea tree oil with this. Menthol crystal dissolved in little alcohol may also be added for the cooling effect. Else you can use peppermint oil too.
I use Johnson baby oil and it works well for me.
Old 5th August 2017, 21:06   #150
BHPian

Hello guys, a very noob question from me. I work in the hotel industry and i have to be clean shaved every day. I use the Gillette fusion pro, used mach 3 prior to that. All i wanted to know is, is an electric shaver a better option for me ? Will it give the clean shave look a razor gives ? Sorry for such a stupid question but i have never used a electric shaver in my life.

PS: i shave EVERYDAY since 5-6 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks