Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 11:12   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Any feedback on Hair clippers would be good........
Any Philips devices that you guys recommend?
I bought a Philips hair clipper in the US in December 2013. It is still going strong over here in India.

I couldn't tell you about the current market and least of all in India. But one thing that I could spot in the Amazon US customer feedback was the lack of self-sharpening blades in some Wahl's models, whereas Philips models seemed to have it.

In the absence of self-sharpening capability, the Wahl's product description on Amazon (rather comically IMO) said that you would need to approach the local barber to sharpen the dulled blades. I didn't relish the prospect of asking help from the very tradesman whose business I negatively impacted!

In any case, my Philips model is still sharp and its in-built battery is still good and holds its charge.

A nice-to-have feature that mine doesn't have is a curved clip-on fitting that would enable you to cut your hair around your ears. That remains a job for my scissors still.
locusjag is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 11:28   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
One important tip. Try and buy thr Face+Body version which has a Silver insert on the body because this version has a Li Ion battery. The standard black insert version has a NiMh battery which takes much longer to charge and also has the usual quirks of NiMh such as deteriorating battery life. Mine has come down from 8 shaves per charge to around 3 per charge in just under 2 years.
You have no idea how annoying it is to run out mid shave and then having to wait hours to finish or get out the razor to shave the full face
Philips standard trimmer with black inserts, I lived with it for 2 years, it was a pain as it could not last 2 minutes, NiMh sucks. Think about walking out with half cut beard to a saloon and requesting to finish the remaining. I bought it by mistake because my previous trimmers had default corded option. I never thought, a brand as good as Philips would design such a dumb product. I guess the recent models of Philips have corded option included.

My recent purchase is Mi IPX7, haven't used it yet, first impression looks good. It comes with 90 minutes of usage per charge and also has a 5 minutes fast charging mode that can support 1 session.
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-20200518_112555.jpg
It doesn't come with lubrication oil. Any tips on lubes?

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 18th May 2020 at 11:33.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 16:24   #213
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have a KEMEI 809A model hair clipper. Works like a charm. Comes with 3 extra combs. Battery life is superb. It is something very similar to the ones that are used in the saloons. Costed me about 1500/.

For those averse to Made in China, this isn't for you.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 19:51   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I agree. It's an allrounder. But during lockdown I did not find a replacement blade at all. Just got one at FK for 850 bucks. Next time Ill buy a new unit paying 1,650, Though I'm still getting 8 shaves to the charge. I'm so impressed with the fella. Is the replacement blade as good as the first one? Because the blade that came with the Mach3 Razor used to be really good, compared to the cartridge I would buy later on
Possibly not. I too feel that the replacements are not as good as the original. First one lasted me almost a year with my thick hair. The second one broke prematurely (most likely my fault though it is a bit delicate and spindly). 3rd one now is about 4 months old and I feel it will last a couple more months max.
These were all purchased from the states. The Oneblade seems cheapest in India.

@Thermodynamics : I meant the Philips Oneblade model with the black insert (area around the power button) but yeah I get what you mean about NiMh sucking. Philips trimmers in general are not that great. I prefer Remington.

Guys, one tip while buying trimmers and shavers (or any other battery operated devices). ONLY buy them if you can used them when plugged in i.e. if battery fails then you can plug in the adapter and use it on wall power. The battery will disappoint you before the blades do. Obviously if it's not an option with a particular device, like the Oneblade then you can't help it but for regular trimmers you definitely can.

Last edited by Mortis : 18th May 2020 at 19:59.
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 20:38   #215
Senior - BHPian

If you have someone coming from the US, get this model. The options are endless, comes with leather pouch etc. I'm using for 3 years now. It has both cord/cordless. But yeah I prefer Philips over Wahl for sheer smoothness.
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-img_4362.jpg  

Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-img_4363.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 21:38   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If you have someone coming from the US, get this model.
There are NO hair clippers on store shelves OR even on 'Amazon US' these days. I have been checking out the nearby Walmart, every couple of weeks and NO sign of any hair clippers. The shelves have been wiped clean. Some models on Amazon say, that they MAY get the stocks back mid-june.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 17:03   #217
Senior - BHPian

FK kept me hanging for 60 days before cancelling the replacement blade for PhilipsOne. Post that they asked me to place a fresh order and I finally received one. Hope it's as good as the one I received with the unit, fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-img_5760.jpg  

Old 4th June 2020, 22:52   #218
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Guys, looking for a shaver/trimmer with a range of around 5k.

This is the 1st time that I will be using a trimmer(have been shaving only so far). The budget is flexible and can be stretched by a couple of thousand if a product is offering a better quality/value proposition.

I have heard that the blade head of trimmer needs to be replaced every 24 months or so. My only gripe with spending extra is that I don't want to be in a situation where it will be difficult for me to source the replacement head. And at least in India, I think it is going to be difficult to source the replacement heads of (comparatively)expensive shavers.

With my flexible budget and apprehension of replacement head's availability, what do you guys suggest?
Old 5th June 2020, 00:50   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I have heard that the blade head of trimmer needs to be replaced every 24 months or so. My only gripe with spending extra is that I don't want to be in a situation where it will be difficult for me to source the replacement head.
Look out for models/brands with self-sharpening blades. You would NOT have to look out for replacements.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:28   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I have heard that the blade head of trimmer needs to be replaced every 24 months or so. My only gripe with spending extra is that I don't want to be in a situation where it will be difficult for me to source the replacement head. And at least in India, I think it is going to be difficult to source the replacement heads of (comparatively)expensive shavers.
Blade replacement depends on your usage, there is no 24-month mandatory change. Getting spares in India is difficult but not impossible. Now we have eCommerce websites catering to beauty and wellness products that stock some accessories and there is always eBay. The key is to buy popular models that are sold abroad by brands that specialize in this area and stock up on spares when you or a friend travels abroad.
Old 5th June 2020, 17:56   #221
BHPian

Last year in July I switched to Merkur single blade manual razors after using Mach 3 & fusion series for over a decade.

Mach 3 & fusion was leading to pulling of hair and uneven shave. Moreover the blade that came with razor would last a month plus but on buying blades separately would get bad quality.

With Merkur (MK 34G) also bought a Shaving Soap from company called Trigodon in Banglore and Boar bristle brush from Omega. Blades 7 o clock Black.

Initial few weeks there were nicks and cuts but then everything was fine. Now I am getting best shave ever with no hair pulling and baby smooth cheeks after 1 pass on most days. For special events do a 2 pass shave.

Had tried electric razor of Philips in Europe but never got satisfactory shave, maybe because my hair is quite hard.

Anyways now a total fan of Single Blade Wet Shaving.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 12:10   #222
BHPian

Hi! Need some help.
I use a Braun Series 3 Wet and Dry 3040s shaver. Needless to say I love it. The cassette is now nearing 18 months and is due to replacement. I looked up for the replacement head (32B) on Amazon and the seller is selling it for INR 6k (about 20 Euros in reality).
I do not want a knock off product - there are some available at low rates.

Can you suggest a better and cheaper way to get the replacement head? I am willing to pay some premium due to import but not three times the price.
Old 25th June 2020, 12:29   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Can you suggest a better and cheaper way to get the replacement head? I am willing to pay some premium due to import but not three times the price.
I picked up Braun Clean and Renew Cartridges from nykaa.com
Alternatively, eBay & amazon (UK and US) are all good places to look and even with customs & shipping, many stuff end up costing less than amazon.in. But in the current lockdown situation, they might not be too viable.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:13   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I use Philips one blade. It's an electric trimmer with a blade (goes for 4months each blade), it gives very close trim so much so it gives a clean shave. It is water proff so i use it everyday during my hot shower. It's just a life changing experience for me! Must have problem!

You just have to glide the flat surface on the skin and it's magic. Leaves your skin soft. Initially i faced abit problem using it but once you get a hang it's the fastest.

Why I use a trimmer? Cause shaving with a raw blade ain't good for sensitive skin. Trimmer gives me no fear of acne. Just be gentle while using, don't press it too hard or else it irritates the skin.

You can also using shaving cream but I suggest using it in a hot shower for best results!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Bang on. I got it after reading your review and used it this morning. Game changer stuff!

Give this man a cookie!
Gentlemen, I'm looking for a great electric daily shaver (I'm clean shaven & shave daily, even on Sundays). Your posts got me interested. Would you suggest I buy one of these. Does the set come with extra blades? Thanks in advance for your trouble.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:23   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Gentlemen, I'm looking for a great electric daily shaver (I'm clean shaven & shave daily, even on Sundays). Your posts got me interested. Would you suggest I buy one of these. Does the set come with extra blades? Thanks in advance for your trouble.
This is not for a clean shave but to get that 6 pm stubble which I like. I don't shave everyday because it unnecessarily irritates my skin. Something like this works a treat every alternate day. I love it. Takes me less than 3-4 minutes to get the shadow stubble on.

I also stayed away from electric shavers because many of them irritate the skin. I just don't want to mess with it.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks