Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 16:06   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Gentlemen,

I use a Philipps Norelco Series 9000 three head shaver. It has served me well. It is a bit long in the tooth now and a bit damaged thanks to me dropping it twice. Still functions but time for a change. Any suggestions? - I'm clean shaven, shave daily. One option is to simply continue with a new shaver of the same make.

Thanks in advance,

V.Narayan
Old 13th July 2022, 16:09   #242
BHPian

I have a braun series 9 and it's pretty good at its job. I had a norelco 8000 series shaver too (which uses a series 9000 blades) and the braun beats it hands down in my case.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:46   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I have a braun series 9 and it's pretty good at its job. I had a norelco 8000 series shaver too (which uses a series 9000 blades) and the braun beats it hands down in my case.
Is this the model you are referring to? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-screenshot-228.png  

Old 14th July 2022, 12:51   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Is this the model you are referring to? Thanks.
Most probably it is 9390cc. I have to check as the model numbers are very similar. Also I think there isn't much difference between the two. You can check shaverscheck for detailed reviews.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 18:08   #245
BHPian

I tried an electric razor (Philips Norelco, 3 head, basic model) few years back, and it did not give me a clean shave. I persisted with it for few weeks, but reverted to the traditonal shaving methods.

I would like to try electric shavers, but do the above recommended ones give a clean shave like a traditional one? Do we need to practice for few days to use these correctly? I am looking for some advice from electric shaver regulars. P.S.- I am clean shaven and I shave daily.
Old 19th July 2022, 18:29   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
I tried an electric razor (Philips Norelco, 3 head, basic model) few years back, and it did not give me a clean shave. I persisted with it for few weeks, but reverted to the traditonal shaving methods.

I would like to try electric shavers, but do the above recommended ones give a clean shave like a traditional one? Do we need to practice for few days to use these correctly? I am looking for some advice from electric shaver regulars. P.S.- I am clean shaven and I shave daily.
Allow me to pitch in with my 2 cents, though this is totally my personal opinion

I tried Philips electric shaver quite some years ago ~2009. It was one of the top of the line models of that time. It did used to give a clean shave with the microshaver attachment but then I reverted to the traditional shaving method very soon. It was mainly because it was a dry shaver and until I put the lather and water on my face followed by a dash of alum swipe, I don't feel fresh. Also the micro shaver cleaned the beard a little too clean & close (more than a blade/razor) which I didn't like. I am not aware of recent models which may have evolved and probably those with wet style shaving are also avaibale but my shaver was used until recently mainly to trim hair (helped esp during the covid times) and and at times body hair including attachments for ears and nostrils. Last month it packed up finally.

So, in short, I am looking for a electric shaver mainly for occasional trimming of hair but I will not go back to shave my beard with it for the given reason.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:00   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

So, here I am asking for a recommendation.

Don't want to go for brands like Syska (mainly due to average reviews) unless someone here has a good experience to share. I am mainly looking for either a Philips or Braun. Being Corded+ Cordless and nose trimming attachment is a must.

Any recommendation guys?

Thanks.
Old 25th July 2022, 13:26   #248
BHPian

Guys,

Can somebody suggest me a good corded beard trimmer like the one used in salons. I currently use a cordless Philips trimmer, while it has been reasonably effective, it doesn't give the salon results of corded trimmers.
Old 25th July 2022, 13:54   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys,

Can somebody suggest me a good corded beard trimmer like the one used in salons. I currently use a cordless Philips trimmer, while it has been reasonably effective, it doesn't give the salon results of corded trimmers.
I just got a Wahl trimmer. It is yet to be delivered. This is a very good brand and most pro use these in saloons, so I think that fits your bill.

Here's a link to what I got, it runs directly on AC, is powerful and has a taper control lever too, which should give good results if mastered properly:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by saket77 : 25th July 2022 at 13:55.
Old 25th July 2022, 16:10   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I just got a Wahl trimmer. It is yet to be delivered. This is a very good brand and most pro use these in saloons, so I think that fits your bill.

Here's a link to what I got, it runs directly on AC, is powerful and has a taper control lever too, which should give good results if mastered properly:
Thanks you. What I'm looking for is something heavyduty like this - Wahl 08466-424, powerful motor and big top quality blades. Looks like a lot of fakes / used machines being shipped by Amazon and I have very little trust on them. So called up the local Wahl authorized distributer and service center. They have asked to come up and check all the models in person and then make the purchase. Will be visiting them this week.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:45   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks you. What I'm looking for is something heavyduty like this - Wahl 08466-424, powerful motor and big top quality blades. Looks like a lot of fakes / used machines being shipped by Amazon and I have very little trust on them. So called up the local Wahl authorized distributer and service center. They have asked to come up and check all the models in person and then make the purchase. Will be visiting them this week.
Visited the authorized store now and bought this machine. What a difference purchasing online and purchasing in store. Got a walkthrough and in hand experience of most of the Wahl trimmers/clippers for 30 mins and got to understand quite a few things.

Cost - Rs. 4379. Made in Hungary. It was infinite times better than the made in China Wahl trimmers. Salesman was excellent and patiently answered my barrage of questions. He mentioned this is a 100 year old model. Not sure how far it is true.
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-1658753924886.jpg  

Last edited by CliffHanger : 25th July 2022 at 18:47.
CliffHanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 20:10   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Visited the authorized store now and bought this machine. What a difference purchasing online and purchasing in store. Got a walkthrough and in hand experience of most of the Wahl trimmers/clippers for 30 mins and got to understand quite a few things.

Cost - Rs. 4379. Made in Hungary. It was infinite times better than the made in China Wahl trimmers. Salesman was excellent and patiently answered my barrage of questions. He mentioned this is a 100 year old model. Not sure how far it is true.
Great! Glad to know that you finally zeroed down to your perfect machine and had a good experience at the store. My experience has been quite the contrary. The clipper was delivered today but with broken blades and deep scratches on the body. Have raised a replacement request with Amazon but doubtful about the future replacement as well. Hope it turns out to be okay this time. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-844da94dbeff48108c3d299eb93be619.jpeg  

Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-35c71a74004d43b2a63b81cac208cb61.jpeg  

Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-af7841ddb5fe4671a1dd26f47e5ca7c1.jpeg  

Old 25th July 2022, 21:50   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Great! Glad to know that you finally zeroed down to your perfect machine and had a good experience at the store. My experience has been quite the contrary. The clipper was delivered today but with broken blades and deep scratches on the body. Have raised a replacement request with Amazon but doubtful about the future replacement as well. Hope it turns out to be okay this time. Fingers crossed.
Sorry to hear about that. I've stopped trusting these aggregrators long back. Amazon should be ashamed, I just mentioned on your post on what one can expect from Amazon and you just experienced that. Check this thread -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ver-years.html (Has your online shopping reduced over the years?)
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 23:38   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The clipper was delivered today but with broken blades and deep scratches on the body. Have raised a replacement request with Amazon but doubtful about the future replacement as well. Hope it turns out to be okay this time. Fingers crossed.
Quote:
Sorry to hear about that. I've stopped trusting these aggregrators long back. Amazon should be ashamed, I just mentioned on your post on what one can expect from Amazon and you just experienced that.
So today I received the replacement from Amazon and thankfully it was a brand new and undamaged piece. Coming to the Clipper, the build quality is industrial heavy duty and the thing feels very powerful to use. The plastic guide combs are also good, however some brushes were little bent but no issues.
I used the same for a haircut and did reasonably well.

However, noticed that the machine does get hot after prolonged operation. @Cliffhanger, can you please confirm the same behaviour on your clipper?
Old 28th July 2022, 16:20   #255
BHPian

Quote:
So today I received the replacement from Amazon and thankfully it was a brand new and undamaged piece. Coming to the Clipper, the build quality is industrial heavy duty and the thing feels very powerful to use. The plastic guide combs are also good, however some brushes were little bent but no issues.
I used the same for a haircut and did reasonably well.

However, noticed that the machine does get hot after prolonged operation. @Cliffhanger, can you please confirm the same behaviour on your clipper?
I bought mine for beard trimming purpose only. So it did not heat up in my short trimming session today. However, it is the top of the line, hence may be better built. Like I said earlier, the one I bought felt so much better in hand while running when compared to the other Wahl trimmers/clippers I tried. This is the one -

https://in.wahl.com/Products/Indian-...d-Clipper.aspx

What I bought is not the most efficient one for beard trimming, but I bought it for the precision cutting across the surface of the skin, and it did it well today.

Guys, if you plan to purchase this machine based on the posts here, I would suggest - do not.

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts, I wanted a salon finish and I was ready for a compromise on a bit of ease of use, bit of heavy machine, and on being cordless, hence I went with this one. Would suggest to decide based on your requirements.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 28th July 2022 at 16:27.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks