Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 14:22   #2401
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

I got two sets of watches as gift for my wedding. One is a Longines watch which is nice(both me and my wife got the same designs). In the other set, my wife's watch is awesome but my watch is a bit too showy for my taste.

The watch brand is Brilrand. It is swiss made and most probably bought from middle east(Kuwait) as the family who gifted me is settled there. There is a 5 year international warranty card with the case. It says Tungsten case, Sapphire crystal, non scratch etc. at the back.

I am planning to sell this watch. If any bhpian is interested then let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-het7t5u.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-ylebcy4.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-qkvwiju.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-bzr4kij.jpg  

Old 18th September 2014, 14:08   #2402

I own a Caterpillar Chronograph (Chain) and a Tag Monaco LS (Leather Strap).
Old 18th September 2014, 16:37   #2403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
The watch brand is Brilrand. It is swiss made...
Just curious, does the watch say that it is Swiss Made? I asked because the Brilrand company website says they are located in South Korea. Most of their watches seem to be based on the same design.
Old 18th September 2014, 20:34   #2404
BHPian

Wanted to find out if any of you have any pointers for ordering a watch from the US and gettting it here.

The options I can think of are:

1 - Order and ship it to someone locally. Wait for them to carry it over to India with them
Pros - You would most possibly avoid paying custom duties. International shipping cost is also saved.
Cons - Ask someone for a favor. Wait till the time someone returns/plans a trip to India.

2 - Order online and use an international shipping service like Shop and Ship by Aramex. That way you ship it to a US address.
Pros - Instant shipment. Track shipment status online.
Cons - Custom duties on around 29%. Custom duties may not be livied on the invoice value but on the estimated value by the customs personnel. Pay custom duty when packet is received at doorstep

3 - Order online and have seller ship it internationally.
Pros - Instant shipment. Track shipment status online.
Cons - Custom duties on around 29%. Custom duties may not be livied on the invoice value but on the estimated value by the customs personnel. May have to personally follow-up with customs personnel.

Anyone here has any pointers from their experience?

I am not looking at luxury watches but mid range ones that are under $500.
Old 18th September 2014, 21:55   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Just curious, does the watch say that it is Swiss Made? I asked because the Brilrand company website says they are located in South Korea. Most of their watches seem to be based on the same design.
The watch does say it is Swiss made. Here is a clearer picture of the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1gwm5mv.jpg  

Old 19th September 2014, 05:38   #2406
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
The watch does say it is Swiss made. Here is a clearer picture of the back.
I have seen quite a few of these Swiss brands in the middle east. Don't know how authentic are these, and most of them comes even cheaper than a regular Swatch.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:26   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
No worries bro.

Do let us know when you get your new watch.
After much deliberation, brought the Seiko Sea urchin (SNZF17). This will join as a daily beater along with my 6+ years old Swatch.

I brought this from creationwatches.com - the watch do not comes with official Seiko warranty, but have a 2 year international seller warranty (fingers crossed - hope I do not need to use the warranty).

The shipping was quiet fast and the shopping experience was hassle free. Their customer care was responsive to all my doubts and they do communicate over e-mail fairly fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I have seen the seiko 2nd gen Orange Monster srp309k1 for around 220 USD on US websites. Is there any website that would ship to India, and include customs duties in their billing. I can get it locally for around Rs 22,000/- so if I could get it imported for around Rs 17,000/-, it would mean a significant saving. Any ideas guys?
Hi Filcord, after using creation watches, I think it is worth giving a look - they ship free to India (though my order was shipped to US).

--Anoop
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:15   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
After much deliberation, brought the Seiko Sea urchin (SNZF17).
Nice!

Do you intend to wear it with the stock steel bracelet?
Old 24th September 2014, 12:03   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Nice!

Do you intend to wear it with the stock steel bracelet?
Thank you!

Yes - since this is one of my beater watches, I need a good steel bracelet. I never take off the watch from my wrist - even while sleeping or while taking bath. Not a big fan of NATO or ZULU straps, so I think I will stick with the steel bracelet.

--Anoop
Old 24th September 2014, 15:08   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you!

Yes - since this is one of my beater watches, I need a good steel bracelet. I never take off the watch from my wrist - even while sleeping or while taking bath. Not a big fan of NATO or ZULU straps, so I think I will stick with the steel bracelet.

--Anoop

OT

Is that a good thing to do? Wearing the watch all the time?
Isn't it better to air the wrist for some time?
Old 24th September 2014, 17:00   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Bought this on my birthday which concludes the mandatory one good watch every year quota.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140924_165931.png
Views: 1992
Size:  1.00 MB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140924_170023.png
Views: 2282
Size:  870.1 KB
Old 30th September 2014, 22:59   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacing the KB-RTZ offroad specials - My Hero Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Indirectly, yes. We fly to in-laws in Mizoram (where Christmas is a huge celebration) via Kolkata's Dum-Dum, as it's a lot cheaper than from Delhi. And I mess with old wristwatches a bit, too, which Lal Bazaar is good for.
Calcutta dates fixed yet?

The pleb stuff like HMT, Anglo Swiss, Westend, or more upmarket stuff like Favre Leuba and other assorted Swiss makes.
(Incidentally, if you come across someone wanting to flip a constellation pie pan, let me know.)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st October 2014, 01:01   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Calcutta dates fixed yet? The pleb stuff like HMT, Anglo Swiss, Westend, or more upmarket stuff like Favre Leuba and other assorted Swiss makes. (Incidentally, if you come across someone wanting to flip a constellation pie pan, let me know.)
Regards
Sutripta
Whatever seems interesting... incl. Seiko (Worldtime, Diver, Chrono, and whatever else appeals in the moment). Yes, mid-range Swiss (F-L, Fortis, Record, Roamer, Tissot, etc; and BTW, some West End auto's were a bit better than plebian, with very good ETA movements); and when I'm feeling especially Indophile, the odd HMT (simple and seem to run forever - basically Citizen licensees and some of them quite handsome to look at). I must confess I've never quite taken the scary plunge into Omegas or other high-end. I'm a tinkerer, and too afraid to tinker with such... and moreover a packrat, and too resource-limited to want to own dozens of the pricey types.

Most interesting find there was a seriously funky (who'd have thought the Swiss had it in them?) Tenor-Dorly automatic jump (w/date) watch. Now THAT's not the sort of thing you come across every day...

Which watch do you own?-dscf3778.jpg

Will work out our travel dates soon, God willing.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 1st October 2014 at 01:04.
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:20   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
the odd HMT (simple and seem to run forever - basically Citizen licensees and some of them quite handsome to look at).
Miyota (Citizen subsidiary)
Had a HMT quartz, which with a center second hand was thinner than some heavily advertised slim watch.
Allwyn had a collaboration with Seiko. Unfortunately all quartz.
Hegde Golay with Bifora. Had a really really slim quartz.

Quote:
Most interesting find there was a seriously funky (who'd have thought the Swiss had it in them?) Tenor-Dorly automatic jump (w/date) watch. Now THAT's not the sort of thing you come across every day...
Really unusual. I vaguely remember coming across a similar Russian watch. Might be mistaken.

On my mechanical wishlist perfectly working (NOS would be great)
Chronometric Tach or Speedo.
Halda Speedpilot.

Any pointers appreciated.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 2nd October 2014 at 00:30.
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:37   #2415
Distinguished - BHPian

By now I've got five very nice automatic watches, Breitling Navitimer, Frecrique Constant, Omega Speedmaster, Omega Dark side of the moon and a MeisterSinger.

Problem was I only had one real nice watch winder for two watches and one cheap plastic one. It worked but recently it broke down, so the search for a new watch winder was on!

You can easily spend more money on the watch winder then the watches themselves. Here in India I found very few jewelers stock watch winders and even online the choice is very limited.

Recently I travelled to the Netherlands and bought this one. Very nice, very quiet and it looks real smart. Holds two watches, you can set the revolution per minute, Clock, anti clockwise and both. Little drawer for some more watches.

It's a Bensom, see http://en.benson-watchwinders.com/co...tchwinder-c2-b

Cost Euro 129 including delivery in the Netherlands. It had about fifty reviews from people who had bought it and they were all very enthusiastic.

My other winder is a Rotolution, from the USA. Two independently programmable winder heads. Very nice but it cost around $600 I recall. There website has disappeared so they might have gone bust.

Very pleased with this one. Looks very smart on my desk.

Jeroen
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_2531.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_2532.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks