Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 07:44   #901
Team-BHP Support

One more question,

I found a post offensive in nature against me. Instead of choosing to reply and waste the thread, i chose to report the post. But then, nothing happened!, and I feel like an idiot not to have replied!

I think one of the MODS must have seen it, and thought the post was fair enough for the forum. Right?

But can't there be a system where the action taken is sent by PM to the person reporting the post
. We get similar PMs for 'posts deleted' etc, so it wont be much of a deal to incorporate. (Sorry if i am wrong).

Asking because, if a person finds a post personally offensive and reports it, he atleast deserves to know why the MOD thinks it fair enough for the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ crazy driver : Wait and watch . Will be up sooner than you expected.
Thanks for the reply GTO!
Old 11th December 2007, 09:28   #902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think one of the MODS must have seen it, and thought the post was fair enough for the forum. Right?
Correct.
When you report a post, an email gets sent to ALL the moderators, so you are pretty much guaranteed that mods HAVE seen it.

If no action is taken, then chances are that the mods do not find what you reported as offensive / personal attack.

Incorporating a system where the person who reports the post gets an automated notification of the action taken might be a bit outside of the limitations of the current software... will let GTO confirm that.

However, if there is what you feel as a personal attack against you and you report it, and no action is taken within 48hrs, feel free to follow up with the mods via PM.

cya
R
Old 11th December 2007, 09:49   #903
BHPian

though we have aspell check available, will it be possible to make it mandatory before the post is submittted.this will atleast caution people who would knowingly/unknowingly be using sms/wrong spellings?

im not a techie & dont knowhow far is this feasible..
Old 11th December 2007, 10:53   #904
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Incorporating a system where the person who reports the post gets an automated notification of the action taken might be a bit outside of the limitations of the current software... will let GTO confirm that.
I am looking at a ticket sorta support system, which will include automated support tickets for "report this post" (amongst others). Each member will be able to view their ticket and resolution online. However, this will have to be tested first. If it is feasible, it will most certainly be added at the next upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
though we have aspell check available, will it be possible to make it mandatory before the post is submittted.this will atleast caution people who would knowingly/unknowingly be using sms/wrong spellings?
Hi Ad75, self-correction is the best way out here. Else, the spell check will keep picking up words that include member handles, commonly used abbreviations (vtec etc.) and car manufacturers / models. Presumably, this will be a very server intensive process too.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:18   #905
BHPian

GTO,

Hi! Is there a way to incorporate a "Products Review" section.

I mean that aftermarket products is divided into various sections like:

Detailing
Engine (further subdivided into: Other, Exhaust, Intake etc.)
Interior
Exterior
Tyres
Suspension
Lighting
Etc.

Here the personal views of members who have used the products along with pics, prices, ratings etc...will be a massive help to newbies & veterans alike.

An example:
Board Message

Just a humble suggestion.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:32   #906
Senior - BHPian

A vague thought has been going through my mind over the last couple of days. Not sure whether I'll be able to explain it - let me try though.

The basis of my thoughts was to provide another information/content abstraction option.

A lot of interesting discussions get pushed back into the 'back' of the sections when the discussions end/fizzle out/thread is closed etc. The ways to dig up these threads is to search or maybe to hunt for sticky/parked ones or to look for highly rated threads. While searching I have often been confronted with a large number of threads, some more informative some not so.

Will it be possible to create a 'digest' thread in the Collection of best threads section? This thread would be editable only by the mods. Each post would have section-wise links to the most interesting/most topical threads of that quarter. The definition of interesting/topical would surely be subjective, but this can be run something like a 'editors (mods) choice thread'.

Say a year down, a quick glance through 4 posts in this thread would throw up the cream content of T-BHP during that period.
Old 11th December 2007, 12:24   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
Ad - There's a simpler solution for this. Upgrade to Mozilla Firefox 2.x version & in that install the English dictionary add-on feature. This will give you an automatic spell check whenever you type something in your browser! And best of all, it's all free!
Old 11th December 2007, 12:41   #908
BHPian

I have a couple of more suggestions. I shall post one here and the other in a separate post. Here goes:

Can we arrange for a basic CAR 101 training, wherein we get hold of an expert mechanic/ car guru and have a session on the basic internals of the car. This will be tremendously helpful in troubleshooting small but common problems which might occur in the middle of a lonely road.

For e.g. how to locate the fuel line in a car, or the air filter, or the condenser or whatever it is that is prone to giving problems and causing a malfunction in the middle of the road. Many times I have observed that there were little issues (especially with older, carburettor engines, like the one for my old M800) which cause the car to break down and the mechanic did a few lil quick fixes which I think I might have been able to do too if only I knew what goes where.

This will also be helpful since then I would know what part is where and can avoid being taken for a complete ride by the service station when replacing parts.

As I understand, this might not be entirely easy to do for newer MPFI/Diesel engines but still, would like to know as much as I could about my car.

Is it possible to arrange for such a camp sometime over a weekend or something? The one important thing is to get hold of the necessary experts who we can effectively communicate with (local mechanics, although efficient, might not be very conversant with the actual terms used, which are necessary for further research on the WWW).
Old 13th December 2007, 10:18   #909
Team-BHP Support

Ok, here is a slight issue. There are two users on the forum by the IDs
.anshuman (pl notice the ".") and anshuman .

When I click on .anshuman's profile, I get directed to anshuman's profile. Why ??
Old 13th December 2007, 12:25   #910
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
GTO,

Hi! Is there a way to incorporate a "Products Review" section.
Hi 1self, we already have a product review section here. However, the forum you have linked to has it well organised. Will evaluate and install if feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

A lot of interesting discussions get pushed back into the 'back' of the sections when the discussions end/fizzle out/thread is closed etc. The ways to dig up these threads is to search or maybe to hunt for sticky/parked ones or to look for highly rated threads. While searching I have often been confronted with a large number of threads, some more informative some not so.

Will it be possible to create a 'digest' thread in the Collection of best threads section? This thread would be editable only by the mods.
Hi shuvc, as the knowledge base grows to several thousand posts, this is only inevitable. We have pondered over this many a time previously. In fact, the Team-BHP Advice section was born of the same thought i.e. to have a one-stop information resource for the most commonly asked questions.

We plan to introduce a thread tagging feature in a while; that will help in narrowing down the search to more specific results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
I have a couple of more suggestions. I shall post one here and the other in a separate post. Here goes:

Can we arrange for a basic CAR 101 training, wherein we get hold of an expert mechanic/ car guru and have a session on the basic internals of the car.
You have just given us an excellent idea; how about if we introduce a simple yet detailed article on the various parts of a car, and how they function in such beautiful harmony to make a car perform? We will start working on it.

Quote:
When I click on .anshuman's profile, I get directed to anshuman's profile. Why ??
Forget the software, even I got confused for a second. Its a forum glitch. But since the original anshuman has not logged on in 3+ years, I have changed his nick. Clicking on ".anshumans" profile should take you to the correct page now.

Thanks for the brilliant suggestions, guys. Please keep them coming.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:17   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have just given us an excellent idea; how about if we introduce a simple yet detailed article on the various parts of a car, and how they function in such beautiful harmony to make a car perform? We will start working on it.
You can have something like this I belive if not this thread itself

A Guide On Technical Jargons

Cheers

Techno
Old 14th December 2007, 10:35   #912
BANNED

Hey Mods,

I accidentally erased some Pm's from my Inbox which got me thinking that is there some way a Trash box could be incorporated or some way to undo any accidental deletion of msgs like we have in Windows.

Viper
Old 14th December 2007, 16:42   #913
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You can have something like this I belive if not this thread itself

A Guide On Technical Jargons

Cheers

Techno
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hey Mods,

I accidentally erased some Pm's from my Inbox which got me thinking that is there some way a Trash box could be incorporated or some way to undo any accidental deletion of msgs like we have in Windows.

Viper
Unfortunately not Viper. Deleted messages = Gone! What you could do is manually create a "trash" folder (from the options on the left pane) and empty it as and when you are approaching full capacity.
Old 14th December 2007, 20:36   #914
Team-BHP Support

Who is GTO- Touring?

Is it GTO (Super- admin) itself? Its confusing since the profiles pics and everything are same! I've just now only realised the post count is different, and its not an admin!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th December 2007 at 20:37.
Old 14th December 2007, 20:43   #915
gump

Quote:
You are tough to please, arent you . This has been added too. The display page will now list the cars owned, in the third last column.

All I can say is : Wait and watch. Our 4th anniversary should unleash some very interesting features / layout on Team-BHP

Waiting for it GTO cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks