Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 23:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

All about Bathroom fittings and plumbing

Guys, I am in the market looking for sanitary fittings for my upcoming house. I like the designs of CERA over Parryware and Hindware. However, I don't have a clue about it's quality, whereas the other 2 brands are more wellknown (in Kerala) and of repute.

(Of course, I like the designs of Duravit and Kohler too, but these are beyond my budget).

Is the sanitary brand CERA as good as Hindware or Parryware ? Which one is better among the said three? Should I look into any other brands?

I understand you guys will be a bit amused by finding this thread in our car forum. But the local advise that I am getting from my peers is certainly not "actionable information" and I miss TBHP here. Please advice in the typical TBHPian way; TIA.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th February 2009 at 23:33.
Old 8th February 2009, 00:16   #2
BANNED

Hindware is known for its quality & durability, also has good designs.
Cera too is good & has more modern designs, but I'll still prefer Hindware, its fittings sometimes outlast the loo/bathroom itself!
Old 8th February 2009, 00:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recently done a LOT of scouting and information-seeking on this topic and can help you gladly.

Cera is a good brand for porcelain-ware (Basins and Commodes) - If you are looking for off-the-floor commodes (cantilever) - Cera has some excellent ones under 4000/- and these even have soft close lids.
Hindware (earlier Hindustan Ceramics) have good basins, especially in their "italian" collection.

For metal fittings (taps etc.) nothing comes close to jaquar in that price range.
I am not talking of Hansgrohe, Grohe, Duravit, Vitra and other German/Italian/European brands - those were above my price budget.

No within the nedium category - you can choose between Jaquar, Hindware, RAK and some other brands. Remember that most of these brands sell similar stuff that is all manufactured today in China.
I have purchased some nice Hindware and Jaquar taps. While I assumed that the Hindware metal fittings would be costing less than Jaquar (I found this to be the case in the porcelain fittings) it was not always the case.

Overall I have found the the quality of fittings in Jaquar were superior and similarly priced to Hindware. Also bathroom accessories (Towel racks, toilet paper holders, hooks, tumbler holder etc.) were best again from jaquar.
I searched and found many, including chinese no-brands, european unknown brands, Häfler(TOO expensive - about 3500/- for a liquid soap pump bottle)

I suggest you visit Jaquar's website :: Jaquar :: - here you will find all their products and prices too. Remember that dealers give between 10-12% discounts on the MRP of the products and will happily order anything you want if you give them the part number of what you have chosen. If budget is no criterion, then Jaquar also sells Hansgrohe - some of the fnest bath fittings I have known.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 8th February 2009 at 00:29.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2009, 03:10   #4
BANNED

This forum never stops amazing me!

If you want ceramic bathroom fittings withing affordable prices, then stick to Hindware, Parryware. Cera also makes good products but, their finish and durability is a bit below the other two. We have been using all these brands in our apartment projects and people seems to be happier with the former two.
The biggest problem with non branded/improperly finished ceramic commodes are surfaced at the time of fitting. Even a small irregularity in the bottom surface will effect your bottoms at the most irritating times. LOL!
Another trouble is the unfinished flushes which will keep your followers swearing you to hell.
Normally, expert masons are able to hide most of these problems.
The best option in commodes are wall mounted types. They are easier to maintain and fix. Occupies less space too. But they come with a maximum weight load limit. Be careful about this. The funny part is most dealers will know any jack and tom about this.
Cera is the brand we use mostly in our budget range of apartments. White is normally avoided because it shows out any small fault in the finish. It ages faster too. Cera lasts almost same as any major brand.

For metal fittings, I would also agree that Jaquar is one of the best. It doesn't mean that you can't buy any other brand. Only thing one has to check is the insides of a tap fitting. If it has brass and not some brown metal, you can go ahead. Brass is more yellowish than copper etc.. There will be sample pieces with the suppliers available for inspection or any plumber/screw driver/wrench would be able to open one and check.
Other good brands are ARK (Not RAK), FRATTINI (name changed to Crabtree, I think), ZOLOTO etc.. in the not very expensive range and GROHE, RANUTROL HANSA etc.. in the expensive range. If you have shades of salt/iron minerals in your water, it's better to stick to Indigenous brands. No matter how expensive the fittings are, these depositive/solvent minerals will eat it up soon. Better not to spend much money and keep changing the valve mechanism whenever it goes wrong. Foreign brands' spares are hard to find and prohibitively expensive normally.
For towel hangers etc., I would suggest you to buy those with less number of pieces. Single piece/2 piece fittings are the best and long lasting. Screw type fittings which comes in various pieces supposed to be assembled before fitting are a pain in the long run, especially in coastal areas. ARK makes some good products and so does Jaquar (both run by one family AFAIK).

Please feel free to post your queries. After all, this is an important requirement.
Happy LOOing!
speedzak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2009, 10:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
This forum never stops amazing me!
Just my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hindware (earlier Hindustan Ceramics) have good basins, especially in their "italian" collection.
For metal fittings (taps etc.) nothing comes close to jaquar in that price range.
Thanks for the wonderful insights speed, Sam and bhp1. Based on the inputs, I think I should look at the Hindware Italian collection.
FYI, Jaquar is already in the radar; though I am also interested in the Clova range of CrabTree. The house is designed around minimalist cues so the design suits more ideal. (The Jaquar Kubix range is simply out-of-this-world, but so are the prices!).

Clova.

Quote:
If you have shades of salt/iron minerals in your water, it's better to stick to Indigenous brands.
The water's fine. Excellent, I would rather say.

Quote:
Happy LOOing!

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 8th February 2009 at 10:31.
Old 8th February 2009, 11:25   #6
BHPian

My humble opinion on this topic:
1. Hindware is better than Parryware & Cera on the finish & looks perspective. For some reason, I was not at all happy with the parryware finish - uneven surface(i mean with vaguely visible dimples or dips) & Cera - not really white (if not pleasing now, how would it be after a few years?)
2. Do not hesitate to spend that extra 1000rs to get something which pleases your mind & heart even though it is for the loo
3. Checkout for premium quality products in Ceramics - irrespective of the brand - I hear majority of dealers try to push seconds. Ask some expert to suggest how to identify 1st quality material (I guess that parryware which was being tried to be passed on to me was seconds)
4. Hindware dealers offer 20% discount on the marked price here in Bangalore. Hope this info helps

On the fittings front, pl. ensure that you dont buy any fitting which gets enclosed in the wall / tile even a single mm. They should always be replaceable - this should be the mantra. Jaquar is the best, I agree. But I felt ESS ESS brand fittings are equally good. The best part is you get a discount of 30-40% on ESS ESS where are dealers give 10-12% for Jaquar.

I've seen a lot of steel look like, white metal (that is what they call) fittings which are quoted as imported (I guess china made). They look good. I am not sure of their durability.

Another suggestion, which you probably know by now: Pl. check multiple shops for the price of non-boxed items (which dont carry a MRP tag on them). My experience is that the shop 2 roads inside is 20-30% cheaper compared to the guy on the mainstreet when it comes to items like handles, knobs etc (non mechanical, fancy stuff).
Old 8th February 2009, 19:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs null, point(er)s well taken without exception:
Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
On the fittings front, pl. ensure that you dont buy any fitting which gets enclosed in the wall / tile even a single mm. They should always be replaceable - this should be the mantra.
You mean, concealed cisterns are not advisable?
Old 9th February 2009, 12:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Thanks for the inputs null, point(er)s well taken without exception:

You mean, concealed cisterns are not advisable?
Totally fine - but after trying every brand (and all have failed, Indian and imported) - I would ONLY advice the brand "Commander" for concealed flush.
Old 10th February 2009, 12:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly Off-topic, can anyone throw light if well known brands like Jagaur metal fittings ( Taps, especially) are un-affected by hard water which you usually find in apartments? I see that we tend to invest in these expensive bath fittings and after a period ( say,1-2 years) they get rusted and it really feels sad to see good money down the drain.

I am a victim of expensive taps rusting and it is also tough to maintain glass wash-basins unless you have a dedicated house-keeper who can take good care of it.

So invest carefully in these expensive bath fittings
Old 10th February 2009, 12:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Slightly Off-topic, can anyone throw light if well known brands like Jagaur metal fittings ( Taps, especially) are un-affected by hard water which you usually find in apartments? I see that we tend to invest in these expensive bath fittings and after a period ( say,1-2 years) they get rusted and it really feels sad to see good money down the drain.

I am a victim of expensive taps rusting and it is also tough to maintain glass wash-basins unless you have a dedicated house-keeper who can take good care of it.

So invest carefully in these expensive bath fittings
Good point, Avi. Its been 3 years since I shifted into my new flat that came with Plumber fittings (as good as Jaguar). It's only because my wife is finicky about cleanliness that the metal fittings are still shining. But the plastic holders for movable showers have already blackened due to hard water. I had to change a couple of them, and they cost around Rs 150 each!
Old 10th February 2009, 13:24   #11
BANNED

I have Parryware ceramics, and Jaquar fittings. I bought Ceramic 2 knob ones. Past experience showed that single lever ones tend to wear out the pivot pin in about 8-10 years (happened with Grohe).
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:20   #12
BHPian

Hindware vs Parryware and Hindware Vs Faber

Hi all,

I just bought a home. Am looking for quality sanitarywares, kitchen chimneys and hob (burner/stove).

For sanitary ware, I planning to buy Hindware's opal single piece (EWC). Cost Rs 12,000.

Please share your experience with Hindware Italian collection. Is it of good quality and worth buying it ?

Looks like hindware is new to kitchen solutions. They are claiming that everything imported from Italy and of great quality. Any experience ?

Thanks,
Prasanna
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:37   #13
BHPian

Prasanna,
For sanitaryware - both Hindware and Parryware are equally good. Hindware is imported and costly. In parryware, there is a collection called 'Roca' which is imported. Both have excellent collections and are value for money.

There is another brand called RAK which is also imported. They are UAE based company and has good collections of high quality sanitaryware.

The imported range will have only White and Off white as colours.

For Chimneys and Hoods - pls go with Faber. They are the market leaders in highend Kitchen solutions.
Old 3rd August 2009, 07:38   #14
BHPian

Just a caution: There is a chance that seconds material (30% of the produce) is passed on to unsuspecting buyers in sanitaryware. I cant comment on the high end stuff, but true with regular models. Deformity could be anywhere from chipping, to dimples / uneven surfaces which may not be visible directly / uneven shape. Be careful and inspect the material you are buying thoroughly

And chimneys, yes. Stick to Faber. Also, look around for combo deals. They come up with great offers (there was a chimney model called Faber Cleo - 13k was the list price & was offered for 6k or so during last christmas) during festivals usually. Go for a heavy duty one - with higher suction power & a lifetime warranty model. Inspect the baffle filters on how easy it is to clean them etc. There was some yahoo Q&A/mouthshut page which had great details abt chimney purchase. Go through it.
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Thread merged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks