Team-BHP - The Weight Loss Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Weight Loss Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68788-weight-loss-thread-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1569177)
I am still struggling for losing weight. I am currently 94-95 kg without any fault of mine.

Then whose fault is it.
Quote:

Even heriditary has something to do with overweight.

Since no one can change that, the best we can do is live with it

Quote:

Prevention is better than cure as far as overweight goes.
You are already born, so its a little too late isn't it. :)

Quote:

And overweight is not necessarily one's fault.
Well, we can always think like this but it does not change anything.

Why don't you try different approaches.

I weigh more than you do.
The best reduction I have had (97 kgs) is still less than your current weight.

So you have an advantage right there.

I strongly suggest you consult a good Dietician. Follow the given advice very carefully. Change your workout routine to include more aerobics and maybe even try swimming.

All the best.

Rujuta Diwekar (kareena's Trainer) has written a book on how to loose weight. I found it to be useful and sensible.I once reduced weight with absolute low Intakes. Just Two fruits in evening for Dinner.Only formulae seems to be Intake < Burn in. Crosstrainer is a simple and great exercise which also helped me.but now have come to a saturation point and need to work harder I guess.So many festivals in India (with tonnes of Sweets/Fat) and Marriage parties is one root cause for Weight gain :)

@aaggoswami- I strongly disagree.
One of the main components of bodybuilding is called diet. Forget the supplements if you maintain a good clean disciplined diet along with even normal workout like running,crosstrainers, basic cardio stuff not only you will lose weight the fitness score will go up as well.
Am saying this cos i had done this myself and had seen few people doing it.
So just blaming the genes wont do anything.If you are committed to lose it then you will lose it.
Things to avoid-
1.- Oily stuff specially the pakodas,samosas and chats we indians are so fond of.
2.- Junks- Burgers,pizzas(my fav sadly) etc.
3.- Alcohol- specially the beer(many people believe beer has less calories then other hard drinks however what they ignore in one session people tend to drink 3-4 beers so too many calories).
4.- Smoking- Its a myth smoking helps in reducing weight.

Its better to take 5-6 small meals a day then taking 3 large meals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1569177)
I am still struggling for losing weight. I am currently 94-95 kg without any fault of mine.

What I have tried.

1) Push-ups : Went to 76 kg with 600 pushups a day.
Later push-up numbers are down to just 100, weight to 90+kg.
Currently, I can to 120 pushup with this weight.
But in reality nothing helps.

2) Diet : Never works. The more you try to reduce it, the more it goes up.

Aaggoswami,

Try to alter your routine.

Your doing 600 push ups a day has made your body used to it. So now even if u do 1000 push ups a day, there isn't gonna be any difference. Concentrate more on reducing fat instead of reducing weight.

I weigh about 68 kgs and am 5'7. According to 'Height vs Weight charts', the ideal weight for a person of my height should be 67 kgs. Now me being 68 does not mean I'm perfect. I still have a lot of fat around my waist which needs to be worked on.

To reduce fat, start weight training, no need to go heavy. Just incorporate it into your daily routine and make sure you alternate exercises. e.g. - once you start weight training, do upper body one day, lower body the next day and cardio the third day. This way your body wont get used to the workout enabling you to lose unwanted fat.

Hope this helps :)

I am currently in a diet regime. When I started the regime around 3 months back, I was 81 kg. The last I saw when I went back to the dietitian, I measured 71.8.

All I am doing is following the diet that is prescribed for me, and religiously walking for an hour per day.

Even the diet prescribed does not leave me hungry. In fact, I am full most of the time.

Warriors from the dieting regimen: I have one question for you?

How do you manage Buffet lunches.
In my office there is something or the other happening every week.
My last week included two lunch buffet's.

You know what you need to eat, right? Just eat that much from the buffet. In fact, it is easier to manage when you are in a buffet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1569307)
@aaag: 600 pushups a day? Gawd!!

Looks good, but side effects:

1) I can manage to move my chest muscles like they do in WWE wrestling. Looks nice. At a traffic junction, a young couple rear ends me, I get down off my bike, angry and flexing my chest muscles. I am seen there as a villan. People gather around me and tell me that there is no need to be a Mavali, these things happen. The young couple gets a lot of sympathy and as a group, the crowd concludes that I am a bad guy.

It looks good initially, but later on some people just start thinking negative about you. Some of them from crowd even told announced that I am taking drugs to increase my muscle. Its next to impossible to get these much good muscles without medicine.
They told me I was on wrong path.

2) My shoulder, specially the deltoid region ( just where hand starts ) is looking abnormal now. I have to go for shirts one size above my size as the muscles are very prominent over there. My sized shirts wont fit me, one size above looks bad.

3) Once you stop doing heavy exercise, specially after doing these heavy excercise in high amount, you will gain weight. That has happened with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1569316)
Why don't you try different approaches.

So you have an advantage right there.

I strongly suggest you consult a good Dietician. Follow the given advice very carefully. Change your workout routine to include more aerobics and maybe even try swimming.

Aerobics, my body has lost much of its flexibility and is quite rigid. All I need to do first is reduce a bit from diet. I am around 5'10", so its too much weight. Dietitian, never tried, but looks like the only solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manavdotcom (Post 1569337)
So many festivals in India (with tonnes of Sweets/Fat) and Marriage parties is one root cause for Weight gain

Correct. And to make people happy we have to eat sweets and heavy food.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 1569379)
1.- Oily stuff specially the pakodas,samosas and chats we indians are so fond of.
2.- Junks- Burgers,pizzas(my fav sadly) etc.
3.- Alcohol- specially the beer(many people believe beer has less calories then other hard drinks however what they ignore in one session people tend to drink 3-4 beers so too many calories).
4.- Smoking- Its a myth smoking helps in reducing weight.

1) I dont generally consume them.
2) Wow, hmm, I love them. Have huge appetitie for them, but since last few months I am having a good control over it. But still no result.
3 and 4) Never tried and I will never try this also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkydevil (Post 1569413)

1) Your doing 600 push ups a day has made your body used to it. So now even if u do 1000 push ups a day, there isn't gonna be any difference. Concentrate more on reducing fat instead of reducing weight.

2) I weigh about 68 kgs and am 5'7. According to 'Height vs Weight charts', the ideal weight for a person of my height should be 67 kgs. Now me being 68 does not mean I'm perfect. I still have a lot of fat around my waist which needs to be worked on.

3) To reduce fat, start weight training, no need to go heavy. Just incorporate it into your daily routine and make sure you alternate exercises. e.g. - once you start weight training, do upper body one day, lower body the next day and cardio the third day. This way your body wont get used to the workout enabling you to lose unwanted fat.

1) I used to it, and probably the reason you have mentioned I am right now finding it tough to reduce weight.

2) That is correct approach. Now how to reduce weight around waist ? At my age this much weight around waist is not good.

3) Here comes the problem of weight training. Once you stop doing it, weight gain is even more. Did try this also. Did 40kg lifts for biceps, and 80kg bench. But as soon as I left gym, weight shot up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 1569379)
@aaggoswami- I strongly disagree.
One of the main components of bodybuilding is called diet. Forget the supplements if you maintain a good clean disciplined diet along with even normal workout like running,crosstrainers, basic cardio stuff not only you will lose weight the fitness score will go up as well.

Harry, you're absolutely right. Main components of body building is definitely diet. It's a secret the most gym trainers won't tell you though, coz of obvious reasons. My formula is:

Losing weight = 80% diet + 20% exercise

I say this after having completely overhauled my lifestyle since Nov 2008, and seeing the difference in a HUGE way. I haven't lost much in terms of kilos, but tonnes of inches (last count: at least 32 inches all over, and still losing more!) and suddenly getting a shape which is NOT round.

FYI, I had also read an interview once with Hugh Jackman, who said that body building for Wolverine was about 75% food and remaining due to exercise.

Having said that, you have to know what to eat and what NOT to. Harry's list in the earlier posts is a good indicator, bascially it's common sense too! :-)

The reason for 5-6 small meals a day is to get your metabolism up and going. And metabolism "happens" only when you eat! So eat more often. As a rule of thumb, you should eat every 2-3 hours. Yes, that requires discipline and determination, but once you get into it and see the results, you'll want to stick to the "diet" forever. And you won't call it a diet at all!

I could write a book on this topic, but for now this is a good start! Will drop in again for more tips and suggestions, like how to deal with cravings, what to do at a wedding etc as and when they arise, and as time permits!

Would love to answer any questions you guys may have about losing weight.

Oh look, what's come up :D

I am now on a weight losing lifestyle. I still eat the same, I still attend parties, I still go out for buffet lunches. What I have done is a couple of simple things.

I tried the whole gymming, dieting regime for almost a year. Nothing worked.

Some history first. Have played pro cricket for 15 years, so exercising was a routine. No gym but running around on the field, nets, bowling and the regular exercises. Used to cycle to the cricket field with the kit. Also included in the schedule was swimming for an hour and beach football almost everyday.

Got a job moved to bangalore, travelled the world ate all sorts of food. I am a non vegetarian. Put on 103 kgs in 4 years. Stamina was lost. Lifts, cars, motorcycles was the norm.

About a year back, the alarm bells rang when i couldn't trek for more then 5 kms.

Joined a gym. In 2 months, I knew it wasn't helping. So what now.

Gave a good hard look at my lifestyle and tried to see where I can give up on some comforts.

So for the last 10 months. I travel to work by bus, short distances within 1 km, i walk. Dont take the lift till a maximum of 6 floors. No rice at dinner.

And 8-9 months on, I have lost about 10 Kgs and losing at a rate of 1 kg per month. I am alo back to playing cricket and that will surely help too. Since I have started playing again, i now use the tread mill everyday to walk for a distance of 4 kms over 1 hour at speeds of 4.

I will update at the end of the month how much it has affected the rate of decrease in weight.

Nothing more then the above.

i think we can use this thread to accomplish goals for weight loss also.
example
Vinay Das
Current weight 118

Height 6 1"

ideal weight 75-80

Goal 90

ETA :D 6 months

then people like me can post weekly updates of weight loss and possibly weight gain also !!!
this format can be highly useful and very motivational at times.

I used to be really underweight earlier. Was around 52 kg when in college.

When I started work was around 53-54. I went to the gym to put *on* muscle weight, and lost it when I stopped the gym.

Then after marriage, and quitting smoking, and with age, started putting on weight. Zoomed to 72. Controlled my diet, went for walks and brought it down to 65. Now I'm at 65, and I hope it does not go up any further.

For my height the correct weight range is 60-65.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1569449)

1) I used to it, and probably the reason you have mentioned I am right now finding it tough to reduce weight.

2) That is correct approach. Now how to reduce weight around waist ? At my age this much weight around waist is not good.

3) Here comes the problem of weight training. Once you stop doing it, weight gain is even more. Did try this also. Did 40kg lifts for biceps, and 80kg bench. But as soon as I left gym, weight shot up.

Here's what worked for me,

I had a wonderful waist size of 36 due to my healthy eating style :D back in 2004. I was made to do a couple of exercises out of which 2 reduced my fat drastically.

Surya namaskar and Abs (legs flat on the floor, pulling upper body up. And upper body flat on floor and raising legs up and down.) both of these put good pressure on the abs.

I reduced my waist size to 32 in less than a month, believe it or not.............

While doing abs just remember, try and apply as much pressure as possible on your upper and lower abs. e.g. when u raise your upper body go down as slow as possible this will ensure all the pressure is focused solely on your abdominals.

Here's my phat story:

I was a 102 kgs. My family doc advised a very simple food regulation. Eat as much as you want. Make sure your oil intake does not exceed 2-3 teaspoons a day. Same for sugar intake. At first it seemed impossible, but we changed our complete dietary lifestyle at home. For almost 6 months, we didn't eat any outside food. No biscuits and the sort even. I only coupled it with walks in the evening with my dad, 45 mins-1 hr a day.

I went down to 86 kgs and plateaued. I thought maybe I was lacking exercise, so I joined a gym. Within a couple of months I went down to 83 kgs. It was great, I went to XL from XXL. But story has stagnated since. I haven't loss any more weight in the gym. I find the gym to be quite a waste in this respect. I only go, so I get some exercise everyday. I was atleast maintaining my weight. My last couple of months, I was home for some exams, so I promptly put on 5 kgs. Diwali didn't help. And I have cousins that love food. Can't say I don't.

I need to to hit the downslope soon. I don't know how though. My regular meals at home haven't really changed. Only excess was the outside food, which I am going to stop. Any other suggestions?

Also, I hear some of you saying that walking on the treadmill is bad for the knees for obese people. Why? How is it different from walking otherwise?

Many people recommend, 5-6 smaller meals a day - but in practicality how does it work? It's very difficult for anyone working, studying etc.

Btw, one of the best workout exercises for losing weight is skipping! Works quite well for me.