Team-BHP - The Weight Loss Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Weight Loss Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68788-weight-loss-thread-7.html)

Oat meal is most preferred food for people who are dieting.
What are the different ways of preparing Oat meal?
Just boil in milk and eat? Should it be thick?
I think adding fruits or honey will make it taste better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun1100 (Post 1588896)

My mom prepares the oat meal with water sans salt or sugar or any thing.
thick or not thick depends on your taste.
Adding fruits and honey am not aware of dude. it all depends of your taste. you can find lot of recipes in google :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2u (Post 1588908)
My mom prepares the oat meal with water sans salt or sugar or any thing.
thick or not thick depends on your taste.
Adding fruits and honey am not aware of dude. it all depends of your taste. you can find lot of recipes in google :D

Oh boiled with water!! I tried eating oats boiled with milk. I just did not like the taste. It tasted pretty good with honey.

I think for people who are new to oats they better add either sugar or honey for few days. Once they get used to it, then eat just boiled oats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun1100 (Post 1588896)

I take oat meal with milk.
Now my Q is if cornflakes are better to take with milk or oats?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2u (Post 1588700)
@ arun1100: Here are my pics :D
Before
Attachment 230085
After
Attachment 230086

You are making me feel guilty. I respect your determination and will power. I believe in this : God made two things that are excellent. One is food and second is fossil fuel.

You are motivating me too. I will now try harder to reduce and look at myself as a 80 kg person rather than current figures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1590237)
You are making me feel guilty. I respect your determination and will power. I believe in this : God made two things that are excellent. One is food and second is fossil fuel.

You are motivating me too. I will now try harder to reduce and look at myself as a 80 kg person rather than current figures.

Glad to hear that you like the transformation.

All i have to say is once you start looking at the results in your own bedroom mirror you will never look back :D

Could anyone guide me on good supplement or meal replacements that could aid fat / weight loss?

I didnt join any Gym's or fitness clubs for losing weight. One of the best and cheapest investments I made then was a pair of 3kg dumbells. According to a friend, you don't need heavy dumbells (e.g. heavier than 5kgs each). All you need to do is more reps with the lower weights. I have and it does work quite well, at least for burning fat and building a reasonable amount of muscle.

From my experience, walking or jogging for around 4 times a week, combined with 3 days of weight training, is good for losing weight at a reasonable pace. Of course, some days you have to combine the walking + weights, to get a couple of days rest every week.

I know its a cliche, but eating well was another contributing factor. Eating out is a real pain for anyone looking to lose weight, in my opinion. I tried cooking more food at home, at least that way the oil/salt/sugar could be controlled.

Trust me, having less oil/salt/sugar is a real torture for the first couple of weeks, after that, you get used to it.

Hope this is at least to a bit useful to you guys.

No activity on this thread since a long time.

I have started jogging in the mornings in order to reduce weight. I have to jog on tar road since there is no ground nearby. I use Adidas running shoes with sufficient cushioning.

But I am getting pain in the shins because of jogging. I feel the pain only while jogging or when I touch the shin bone. I don't feel any pain while driving, walking or doing any other activity.

Is this pain normal ? Can I ignore this pain and continue jogging on the tar road, hoping that the pain will automatically go away after a while ? Or is this pain a warning that jogging is putting excessive stress on my legs ?

Is it OK to do a high impact exercise like jogging on a daily basis ? I am in early 30's and 4-5 kgs overweight.

Other than jogging and walking, what other cardio workouts are recommended ? Is climbing the stairs a good exercise ? Does it burn the same amount of calories as jogging ?

I am also planning to buy a stationary bike so that I can do jogging and cycling on alternate days. Cycling, being a low impact exercise, will give some much needed relief to my shins, but will still help in burning fat.

What are the reputed brands in stationary bikes ? What features should I be looking for ? What is the approximate price range ?

Also, please suggest some shops for fitness equipment in Bangalore, preferably in and around Koramangala area.

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_iitr (Post 2346976)
But I am getting pain in the shins because of jogging. I feel the pain only while jogging or when I touch the shin bone. I don't feel any pain while driving, walking or doing any other activity.
Is this pain normal ? Can I ignore this pain and continue jogging on the tar road, hoping that the pain will automatically go away after a while ? Or is this pain a warning that jogging is putting excessive stress on my legs ?
I think the pain is normal, it should go away in a few days. Its because you just started jogging maybe after a long long gap. I would suggest is slow jogging not too much speed to start with. Even after couple of weeks if you still feel the pain then definitley consult a doctor.

Is it OK to do a high impact exercise like jogging on a daily basis ? I am in early 30's and 4-5 kgs overweight.
Absolutely not. The instructor at my gym always tells that slow jogging and brisk walking always have least damaging effects to the knee and leg soles and at the same time have maximum weight reducing effects. Also regular exercise can help you reduce the weight, for that matter you are not too overweight.

Other than jogging and walking, what other cardio workouts are recommended ? Is climbing the stairs a good exercise ? Does it burn the same amount of calories as jogging ?
I think those two are most sufficient rest all are fancy stuff usually found in the gym

Rohan,
My replies in bold.
I am overweight by 10 kgs and have joined a gym for the past 6 weeks. The first two weeks it was basically cardio and only brisk walking on the machines. Next two weeks brisk walking+ jogging(5-15 min) and now after 6 weeks its brisk walking 10 min, jogging 20 mins. Combined with the cardio a little bit of weights do help to build muscles and reduce fat. Have already lost 4 kgs in 6 weeks, now comes the maintaining part with a proper diet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd_maverick (Post 2061566)
Could anyone guide me on good supplement or meal replacements that could aid fat / weight loss?

try gold standard100% weigh protein or isopure 0 carbs. Meal replacements try Lean body carb watchers or syntha6.

For weight loss ultimately its output (energy used) being more than input. Jogging in the morning will certainly help. But make sure you work on improving on muscles in your legs through exercises. Will help you avoid strain on ligaments and bones.

I am 6ft.1in and about 98kgs which makes me about 13kgs or so overweight. I love good food and for me fine-dining is an important part of my social life. :)

I've been practicing the following since last month with a few days in between where i couldn't as well :-

1. Avoid eating rice. Fruits for BF, 3 Phulkas for lunch. 4 Phulkas for dinner

2. I go for a 4.5kms jog 4-5 times a week. I jog partially and walk most of this distance albeit in a brisk pace

3. Stay away from junk food like chips, colas, pizzas etc.

I am feeling a bit lighter and have a spring in my step.

Suggest, you replace jogging with brisk walking and make sure you do it for minimum 45 minutes. Also, it is common knowledge, what you eat is what you are. Therefore, monitor closely what you eat.

Good-luck !

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2347191)
1. Avoid eating rice. Fruits for BF, 3 Phulkas for lunch. 4 Phulkas for dinner

3. Stay away from junk food like chips, colas, pizzas etc.

I feel fruits should be a part of the breakfast and not the breakfast itself since the breakfast is the first meal you have in a day and should be a bit heavier, Lunch can be moderate and dinner should be minimum.
+1 to the point#3. Tell me how to avoid it please?:D

Long time back I was told that actual exercise begins 20 mins after you started exercising. So even if you run/walk, for the first 20 mins it just warms the body and any amount of exericse done after that actually goes to effect the body. Dont know how true is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2347273)
I feel fruits should be a part of the breakfast and not the breakfast itself since the breakfast is the first meal you have in a day and should be a bit heavier, Lunch can be moderate and dinner should be minimum.

+1
Breakfast should contain lots of carbohydrates and little protein. Fruits can be had in addition to these. Only having fruits for breakfast is a very bad practice.

Your body has not received any energy intake for the last 12 hours (assuming you have dinner at 8 pm and breakfast at 8 am). If you don't eat carbs even after such a long gap, the body would go into starvation mode and will lower your metabolic rate. If you want to loose weight, you want your metabolic rate to be high. Skipping breakfast or not having carbs in breakfast is one of the worst things you can do to your body if you are trying to loose weight.

Quote:

+1 to the point#3. Tell me how to avoid it please?:D
Just remember the golden rule - A moment on the lip, a lifetime on the hip. Meaning - eating junk food will give momentary pleasure to your taste buds, but the extra calories that come in junk food will take a lifetime to burn off.

Rohan