Team-BHP - The Weight Loss Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Weight Loss Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68788-weight-loss-thread-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushantr5 (Post 1574690)
Craving is the enemy for the diet and weight reduction program. Somewhere I read that when you crave for a food then eat a tomato. I tried it and found it works.

my file tells me drink a bit of grape juice, i have tried it, it works.

i think its more about our mentality.

when we think that something is gonna work against our craving, it works :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb10gagan (Post 1574703)
my file tells me drink a bit of grape juice, i have tried it, it works.

i think its more about our mentality.

when we think that something is gonna work against our craving, it works :)

I find this craving especially after going back home from work around 8pm. I can eat a horse. I will try stocking Tropicana Grape Juice and see if it works.

Btw, I am 6ft. 1inch and hovering around a quintal and like everyone else here been trying to reduce from last couple of years.

Good thing, my weight is same since last couple of years probably because i go for brisk walks ( 4.4 kms each time) 3-4 times a week and maybe hit the gym a couple of days a week. Note, its either of the one for that week.

Bad thing, i don't seem to lose any weight either:Frustrati. Maybe because i am too fond my drink and grub:)

3 simple steps to accelerate fat loss:

a) Intense weight training is a powerful trigger for fat loss, wherein weight training increases fat-burning throughtout the day.

b) Protein is the raw material for increasing muscle repair and BMR after weight training. If protein in diet is not enough for muscle repair, weight training fails to lead to fat loss. ( Increase intake of protein and completely stop the intake of carbs)

c) Shift the diet to calorie burning 'thermogenic' foods. Only cutting out fattening foods from the diet is not enough. Fibrous vegetables and salads, essential fatty acids and protein are foods with the higest thermogenic value which eaten in every meal, every 3-4 hrs through out the day keeps the body in a continuous fat burning state.

Try eating small meal every 3-4 hrs and avoid skipping meals or long gap in meals which signals the body into starvation mode, i.e. it slows down BMR to conserve energy and stores more calories as fat.

Hope that helps!!

What do you guys think about focussed fat loss ? Around the tummy and the double chin ? 'Coz at 5'11" and 78 kgs, weight is not the problem but the two mentioned areas are an embarrassment actually :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 1575627)
What do you guys think about focussed fat loss ? Around the tummy and the double chin ? 'Coz at 5'11" and 78 kgs, weight is not the problem but the two mentioned areas are an embarrassment actually

From what I know there is no way to focus fat loss. The body burns fat just the way it stores fat. Think of it this way, if we were getting fat only around the stomach and the rest of the body remained small or something of that sort, I hope you get what I am saying. The thing about tummy is that just as you go on a diet do some muscle specific exercise like crunches.
The truth might be that you have a flat stomach or even a six pack under all that fat, doing cardio helps but you got to be consistent. The basic idea is to burn more than what you consume (I might be wrong here), as in eat less quantities and in more number (of meals) with less carbs, fats and all that bad stuff (good food egs: salads, fresh juice {without sugar if possible}).

I do not know how you get your double chin off, I m guessing as you gradually loose weight it will get back to being normal. You might not be fat at the weight you mentioned but you might have lots of fat in your system. Have you done a body fat percentage analysis at a clinic or one of those 'BioMeasure' systems (they really help)?

I ‘Googled’ ‘lose double chin’ and quite a few results came with suggestions on some interesting exercise, read it and if you feel it is worth a try, give it a shot.

All the best buddy!

Quote:

What do you guys think about focussed fat loss ? Around the tummy and the double chin ? 'Coz at 5'11" and 78 kgs, weight is not the problem but the two mentioned areas are an embarrassment actually :)

There isn't anything called focused fat loss other than liposuction. The best way is to have a daily routine of cardio (that includes walking/ jogging - 15 - 30 mins, cycling - 10 - 15 mins, stepper - 10 - 15 mins), mixed with exercises that would focus on your core muscle groups, abs, upper and lower body.

Take me as an example - when I joined FitnessOne, I was 79 kgs and my height is 5.6". At 39, with these parameters, I am asking for serious trouble.

After working out for about 50+ days, I am around 76 now but the most important improvement I had is inch loss around upper, middle and lower abdomen (of close to 2 inches) and inch gain around my biceps, chest, shoulder and calf muscles.

This alone will not yield the desired results if you do not follow a strict diet regime as well. You need to ensure that you are eating well and healthy. Try this routine for 3 months, and am sure that you will see great deal of progress and benefit.

Quote:

@Eddy

probably your body accumulates fat around those two areas first.
its different with every persons body, like in my case the fat starts accumulating around shoulder area first.
if you keep on gaining weight then probably it will start accumulating around tummy etc.
i hope that if you loose a few kgs like 2 or 3 then you might see the fat go from around those areas, simply because your body will use the fat it stored.

Super thread guys, and some fantastic suggestions! Rated 5 stars.

Most points have been covered already. Thought I'd just add some random thoughts as someone who is on the way back to the "fitter" days:

1. Enemy no.1 = Lack of physical activity. Think about it, we are stationary on our desk for like 8 - 12 hours a day?

2. Further to the previous point, you MUST work out. I cannot stress on this point enough. Make it as much a part of your life as...umm, cars are. Working out not only helps you lose / maintain weight, but also gets rid of stress, helps you think better, keeps you fitter, makes you feel better and will keep your life free of ailments (atleast most of the lifestyle related ones). Working out 4 days a week = 6 hours of an investment. Isn't 6 hours of input worth it to make the other 162 hours happier?

3. You should NOT eat any lesser, or worse still, starve yourself. The key is to EAT RIGHT. And of course, avoid over-eating. Eat the right stuff, and in moderation, you are all set. Don't ever skimp on breakfast (its called breaking the fast for a reason). Go very easy with the dinners.

4. If you love pizzas / ice cream / whatever, don't stay away from them for months on end. Rather, set one day a week / fortnight / month when you "reward" yourself with food you crave for.

5. You eat more when you are starving. Time your meals properly so that you aren't ever "very hungry" at the time of the meal. Again, moderation and self-discipline are key.

Again, please do make workouts a regular part of your life. The benefits are innumerable! Working out + Moderate eating style = Perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1571911)
Can you guys share software (pref freeware) details that we can use from our mobile phones (PDA's) to monitor calorie intake.

With support for Indian foods in it.

Hi, there's one useful tool I've come across. You can add calories@lifemojo.com to your Gtalk or Gmail chat. Then in the chat window type in an exercise (like running) or a food (like pizza). It will give you an entire list of calories burnt for the exercise with variations (fast, slow etc) and calories in a particular food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1572810)

Diet & Time:
0800-0810- Breakfast of Kelloggs OR Oats Porridge with Flax Seeds and Honey to sweeten a bit.
One egg + 2 Toasts (Brown whole wheat bread) - (most of which my dogs share)
1300- Simple Lunch of Spinach and Rice/ Curd and Rice + some veg. Topped with a Banana or two.
1700-1800 - a few small size brown bread sandwiches with a little butter and a bit of fruit jam just to keep the energy up!
2030-2100 - Clear or Thick Soup(Veg or Chicken based) + Carrots/Beans/Veg boiled and tossed in a little Olive Oil. (Mashed Potatoes 1 medium serving twice max thrice a week). 2 Squares of Bitter Dark Chocolate. Topped with a Banana or two.

Night: 2130-2200.
One more walk with the dogs after dinner to help digest the grub.
Im completely off alcohol at the moment - even though I may have only one or two drinks a week I still feel excellent that Im off the stuff completely - no urge even.

With this above diet I dont even feel suddenly terribly hungry. I am subject to evil cravings though, for Pizza and so on, but so far I ve succeeded in staving it off!

Please don't go for a walk post-dinner. You may feel it digests your food, but that's not true. Instead, all the blood will flow to the exercising parts (legs) and NOT to your stomach, where it should be, to help digestion. And please avoid jam in the evening, the added sugar's not going to help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveloholic (Post 1574647)
Its a two-way thing bblost, if you refuse for an extra helping, it is taken as you did not like the food and the minute you say "yes" for extra helping, you are damned.

You're right. But the best way is to NOT take the extra helping. If someone forces it onto your plate, let it be there. Better to "waste" the food there than damaging your health.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvg (Post 1574668)
Hi All,
I am planning to do the same jog/brisk walk for about 10 kms evry day and be away from rice (which i eat a lot )for about 6-8 months and stick to Ragi mudde or Chappati in this duration and i am targetting 90 kgs.
Hope things work out

Are you used to jogging/ walking 10 km every day? That's quite a distance, and you need to do it gradually, or you could end up overdoing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1577205)
Super thread guys, and some fantastic suggestions! Rated 5 stars.

Most points have been covered already. Thought I'd just add some random thoughts as someone who is on the way back to the "fitter" days:

1. Enemy no.1 = Lack of physical activity. Think about it, we are stationary on our desk for like 8 - 12 hours a day?

2. Further to the previous point, you MUST work out. I cannot stress on this point enough. Make it as much a part of your life as...umm, cars are. Working out not only helps you lose / maintain weight, but also gets rid of stress, helps you think better, keeps you fitter, makes you feel better and will keep your life free of ailments (atleast most of the lifestyle related ones). Working out 4 days a week = 6 hours of an investment. Isn't 6 hours of input worth it to make the other 162 hours happier?

3. You should NOT eat any lesser, or worse still, starve yourself. The key is to EAT RIGHT. And of course, avoid over-eating. Eat the right stuff, and in moderation, you are all set. Don't ever skimp on breakfast (its called breaking the fast for a reason). Go very easy with the dinners.

4. If you love pizzas / ice cream / whatever, don't stay away from them for months on end. Rather, set one day a week / fortnight / month when you "reward" yourself with food you crave for.

5. You eat more when you are starving. Time your meals properly so that you aren't ever "very hungry" at the time of the meal. Again, moderation and self-discipline are key.

Again, please do make workouts a regular part of your life. The benefits are innumerable! Working out + Moderate eating style = Perfect.

Excellent summary, GTO! And much-needed too! :-)

cargirl walking post dinner is fine as long as it is after 1-1.30hr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1575404)
I find this craving especially after going back home from work around 8pm. I can eat a horse. I will try stocking Tropicana Grape Juice and see if it works.

Try stocking almonds or such nuts in office. I take in around 5,6 nuts a day and keeps the carving down.

I reduced from 86 to 77. Increase in physical activity, yes! Another factor is, the kind of food i take in. It used to be "full meals" for dinner. That has been now replaced with 4,5 phulkas. Also the morning breakfast is around "actual" whole wheat bread with peanut butter and oats. That's I changed. I achieved above result in about 2 months!:D

A crash in 2006 ,and lack of physical activity ;after i joined new Job in 2007,took its toll and BMI went for a toss and right now at almost 5-11 i weigh 92kgs.Starting working on it since past one week.Have started with Brisk walking for around 6.5 to 7.5Kms a day,that will change to 5kms of Jogging and around 2Kms of brisk walking,as my body starts getting used to it.I have done this and lost a considerable amount of weight in quite less time earlier,but issue is,the moment you stop this,due to one reason or other,weight increases at an alarming rate.Living away from home,and surviving on Junk is another issue.Burgers have given way to Subs@Subway now.Will keep this thread updated,as i start improving my stats,and if possible with Before and after pics la VLCC

thanks for that tip Cargirl - will take it on board.

I ve changed the evening sandwiches to plain brown bread with a little surfacing of peanut butter instead - just 4 halves. Im not a sugar maniac in general and I do not eat our Indian sweets except very occasionally - maybe once in 2 months or more! And I ve added in a Banana at 11 am for medium-level hunger pangs control.

Actually what happens with me and eating soup-ish stuff for din is that since I typically have about a bowl and a half, there's some amount of liquid sloshing about inside post din dins. So what I do typically is to sit for a bit - approx 15 min post dinner and then take a peaceful, non-strenuous walk with the dogs, basically to spend some time with them and let them do their outside business etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cargirl (Post 1577561)
Please don't go for a walk post-dinner. You may feel it digests your food, but that's not true. Instead, all the blood will flow to the exercising parts (legs) and NOT to your stomach, where it should be, to help digestion. And please avoid jam in the evening, the added sugar's not going to help.
Excellent summary, GTO! And much-needed too! :-)

Guess everyone's busy controlling weight.

Wanted to hear of the specific effects of adding ankle weights during a regular walking routine, that has been tried & tested by folks here.

Apart from the additional stress it lays on the basic workout, what are the possible ways in which one can determine which is the most ideal additional weight that must be added-on, without causing any ligament damage / tear.

Any thoughts.?

I am using a product called W2O which has a Oil and Gel both priced at Rs.199 each since last one month.

Each product lasts a month. They promise 2 inches/1kg loss a week without any side affects but stress on diet control.

Apply the oil on your midriff after a bath in morning.

Apply the gel on your midriff before sleeping in the night

without changing my diet too much. I dropped 2.5 kgs and fatty areas on the midriff have reduced considerably. I am quite happy with this productclap: