Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 18:13   #286
Senior - BHPian

Travelholic,
Thanks for sharing the photographs, for the unfortunate ones like me who couldn't make it.
Deepak's mother truly is amazing, we can only hope and pray to emulate her when and if we reach her age.
Mr. Farooq too has a very subtle sense of humor, you don't know when it hits you.
The pug marks too are a treat to watch, which gives us proof/ hope of the presence of tigers there.
When we go to Srisailam, there are many places where you will see what should have been and what is.
Finally, Deepak's belief, initiation and enthusiasm are taking shape and will surely develop into something big with members like yourself in the group.
Regards,
Old 8th March 2010, 19:24   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
The pug marks too are a treat to watch, which gives us proof/ hope of the presence of tigers there.
I totally agree with you, the pug marks do give us the hope of the presence of tigers in the forest. The mere sight of Pug Marks was exciting, I can image how it feels, when we see the tiger in flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Special thanks to Imran for helping out.
Imran is so happy helping you out in the time of need. He is waiting for the mandatory approval by TBHP Admins, so that he too can be an active member here.

OT: Imran has been my savior angel a zillion times, when ever I was struck. I still remember, I was out for dinner with my family and my car refused to nudge. It was about 2:30, when we were returning from Dinner and a drive. I just called up Imran and he was there in 15-20 minutes, just to stand by my side & try to rectify the problem.

Quote:
Hope all had a great time. I am in love with that jungle. Its a perfect tiger home
The Jungle enchanted me to the extremes, I dreamt of the jungle the last night. Would love to visit various jungles in AP.
Old 8th March 2010, 19:57   #288
BHPian

Nikhil, thanks for the pics buddy! We should have joined you and Abhijit on the other side of the waterhole. When you told us on our way back that there were lot of pug marks, I felt very good and now after seeing those pug marks, I'm elated. After seeing the state of the forests, I really doubted the presence of 'wild' animals.

Yes, this was a suddenly planned trip, but I'm glad we did it because although it pained me to see the condition of our forests, it has made me much more determined to do something really meaningful for our forests and wildlife. I'm proud to be part of this initiative and will try to devote as much time possible for this in the future activities that this group will undertake.

Cheers,

Saleem.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:31   #289
BHPian

Am posting the pictures i've taken of the Pug Marks around the water hole we've been to.

Can someone please distinguish the Pug Marks and let us know. I kind of remember the Telugu names he was telling but found it hard to search on the net. He called a few as Chirta Puli & I think it means a Cheetah or a Leopard.

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks01.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks02.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks03.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks04.jpg

Pug Marks of a Wild Cat
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks05.jpg

Pug Marks of a Bear
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks06.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks07.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks08.jpg
Old 8th March 2010, 22:28   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Am posting the pictures i've taken of the Pug Marks around the water hole we've been to.

Can someone please distinguish the Pug Marks and let us know. I kind of remember the Telugu names he was telling but found it hard to search on the net. He called a few as Chirta Puli & I think it means a Cheetah or a Leopard.
Yes, Chirutapuli is a leopard. Did he say elugubanti, which means a bear. If you can recall a few and list, I might be able to help you out!

Cheers,

Saleem.
Old 8th March 2010, 23:31   #291
BHPian

Some names I can make out but a few are out of my reach. He was explaining about an animal, which digs holes on the river bed or shore & I understood he was refering to beaver. Something like Neelangi is what confused me the most.
Old 8th March 2010, 23:37   #292
BHPian

So much has been taken away from the nature & its evidently visible. Is there some way this can be given back?

Last edited by traveloholic : 8th March 2010 at 23:44.
Old 9th March 2010, 00:24   #293
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil such a lovely way to present pictures. Looking forward to more.

Fazal can I request you to please educate us all on the various types of animals found in Indian forests with pictures and explaining the distinct features of every animal.

Saleem perhaps you could pitch in with translations to telugu names so we don't get confused when the local trackers speak of animals

As for our Project Water program, I feel we should initiate something at Kawal too.

I had discussed with the DFO Jannaram on the proposal to construct dykes or shorter check dams on streams within the forest to retain water. Remember this is an age old method of retaining water for human use, why not apply the same for animals.

He has assured me he will have the stream width measured around the Macchan area in Dongapally range. He will then estimate the cost of using a excavator to do the work, cart some black cotton soil and other materials to the site, labour etc for completion of the dams and tell us the budget.

Once we have the figure we need to raise the amount, a few of us can camp there, in rotation perhaps, to have the work executed and make the payments.

We must target to have atleast one or two such dams done in Kawal especially in ranges where there's a risk of running dry in summer.

Simultaneously we must do the same at Srisailam.

At Kawal once we address water issues then there's the issue of lack of fodder for herbivores. Perhaps we need to split into teams to now start addressing each issue.

Water
Fodder
Cattle
Villages inside core areas
Logging
Eco tourism initiatives
Lobby with government
Tribal welfare

The more I visit these spectacular forests the more determined I am to do something.

Raj and Venkat, remember as we stood there in the last range we visited, where the water came out of the tree's base, it felt like we were in the sanctum sanctorum of nature. That place was too beautiful. Too special. I could almost sense how at home a tiger would be in that ravine. It was the most perfect home for a tiger.

Also as we walked in that meadow early in the morning with the tall teak forest as a backdrop you could tell wildlife would be happiest if left in peace to live there.

AP still has gorgeous forests remaining, We just need to ensure they don't get plundered by human greed.

People keep speaking of days gone by when apparently the state had so much more in terms of wildlife and forest cover. I keep replying, lets not keep talking about the past, but save the present for a future.

I am inclined to feel that wildlife in AP has become too wary of humans. We really are their biggest threat. Just think about it. We visited four different ranges within Kawal and didn't see even a squirrel !!

The animals are quite obviously present as there's ample evidence of scat and tracks. Out of their natural survival instinct they have learnt not to trust human presence.

In a way I am glad they've learnt to remain so elusive
Old 9th March 2010, 07:46   #294
BANNED

Kudos to you guys for having done this extraordinary trip. It is a welcome change from the cynicism we see all around.

Based on what I have seen before, unfortunately, none of the pug marks pictured here belongs to a tiger.

The people of our country don't realise the emergency we are in as far as our biodiversity is concerned. They are vanishing every minute even as we speak of it. It's not only government apathy but the major cause is that people give a damn about it, both villagers and city folks.
Old 9th March 2010, 08:29   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Based on what I have seen before, unfortunately, none of the pug marks pictured here belongs to a tiger.
@zaks, more pics of pug marks coming soon. Hope we get lucky in the next set atleast.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:11   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Raj and Venkat, remember as we stood there in the last range we visited, where the water came out of the tree's base, it felt like we were in the sanctum sanctorum of nature. That place was too beautiful. Too special. I could almost sense how at home a tiger would be in that ravine. It was the most perfect home for a tiger.
Yes, i was very much relieved to see the dense 'green' forest finally. Its definitely a great home for tigers.

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-dsc03882.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-dsc03883.jpg

And that water coming out from the tree roots - filtered by nature - tasted much better than the mineral water we buy

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-dsc03885.jpg

thanks venkat, for taking these beautiful pictures.

Last edited by highwaylover : 9th March 2010 at 10:12.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:55   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Nikhil such a lovely way to present pictures. Looking forward to more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Nikhil, thanks for the pics buddy!
Thanks Deepak & Saleem.

Quote:
I could almost sense how at home a tiger would be in that ravine. It was the most perfect home for a tiger.
We missed seeing this place. Would surely love to visit this place, the next time we are there.

Quote:
We visited four different ranges within Kawal and didn't see even a squirrel !!
Deepak, we did get to see a Langur, which was quicker than we expected. Even though we could not capture it on camera, we did get to see it rushing down from a tree top and escaping in the wild. Lets revive their life & natural habitat.

Quote:
As for our Project Water program, I feel we should initiate something at Kawal too.
Quote:
Simultaneously we must do the same at Srisailam.
Quote:
AP still has gorgeous forests remaining, We just need to ensure they don't get plundered by human greed.
A lot needs to be done in order to address these issues. The dried up water bodies at Jannanaram speak epics by themselves. Added to this, the intrusion of cattle adds to the woes. The grazing cattle also shares the same water, that is consumed by the wild. The scarcity of water is far more affected due to the cattle intrusion and consumption.
Old 9th March 2010, 12:16   #298

Nikhil good one

lets meet up today evening to discuss this
Old 9th March 2010, 13:07   #299
BANNED

my internet connection was giving me a lot of grief yesterday, so I could not post.

firstly, thank you Deepak for the idea and the topless ride. was awesome. so was your mom.
thanks to Ani too for being our driver. had great fun in the Bolero yapping and jumping around.
fortunately, we also got pretty good food.

now coming to the real purpose of the visit, all I can honestly say is that it was fun. I am game anytime for going back and camping out. so Deepak, if you are looking for a partner in crime, Im available always. just call.

it wasnt a bad for a first time trip with minimal organization. having said that, we do need to have much better planning the next time around. we didnt see any wildlife. no wonder considering the fact that we went at the wrong time of the day and we were noisy. wildlife aside, we did learn a lot about the state of the forest, which is sad to say the least. I looked around and saw evidence of commercial interests slowly taking over.
we need to be clear and honest about what we want. it is an interesting conundrum. gypsies are competing for space with wildlife. who gets precedence?
forest conservation is a long term undertaking. we will need to sit and hammer out plans that dont have a 5 year shelf life. to do that, we will need to come up with a plan that is both economically and ecologically sensible.

my thoughts are too jumbled to make any sense right now. all I can say is weve had a good start. lets build on it the next time we meet. cheers.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:20   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer008 View Post
lets meet up today evening to discuss this
Sure Bud. Lets meet up today evening and discuss this thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hope the next set of pictures has Pug Marks of a Tiger.

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks09.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks10.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks11.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks12.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks13.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks14.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks15.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-pugmarks16.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks