Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 22:41   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife

All you need to do to realise the gravity of the situation is to travel through the forests of AP to realise our "home" is on fire and not much of it may remain in a decade or two.

The threats to the forests and wildlife are complex. They need a multi pronged approach and invariably a joint effort of the government and concerned citizens

Achieving our objective of saving the forests and ensuring the wildlife population in these reserves is thriving once again is not going to be an easy task.

BUT IT HAS TO BE DONE !!

Lets resolve as caring citizens to come together and forge a partnership of cooperation to ensure that future generations will have continued access to a stunning natural heritage which we here in India are so fortunate to have. A heritage which very few countries can boast of.

They say the presence of a Tiger in a forest speaks of perfect ecological balance. No use wondering whether the number is 1411 or 14. Fact is we have decimated its home and left it to die homeless. If as concerned citizens we want this magnificent animal to thrive once again, as has been proven possible in a few remarkable reserves in our country, here in AP we too can achieve the same.

Lets resolve that every reserve in AP once again boasts of a Tiger population.

As a citizen initiative it is proposed that we create Forest Revival Camps where volunteers from the community:

1. Spend early morning documenting wildlife and plants
2. Spend rest of morning clearing garbage along forest roads
3. Post lunch, session of identifying threats to forest and wildlife and discussion
4. Dusk wildlife spotting and documentation

The Camp should ideally be a three day event

Day 1 Travel to Forest
Day 2 Revival activities
Day 3 Return home

Who participates:

Anyone, school children, corporates, concerned citizens, forest officials

A calendar of Forest Revival Camps be created covering ALL forests of Andhra Pradesh

The idea is that people throughout the year particiapate in a wholesome activity which helps identify surviving wildlife in the forest, identify threats to forest and wildlife and clear garbage.

These camps should become the extended eyes and ears of the forest department. Like an audit.

Ideally every district with forests must host weekly camps at local forests. This should be a perennial activity which will eventually graduate to becoming an eco tourism initiative at every forest.

If you are interested in making a difference and wish to participate in the Forest Revival Camps please feel free to PM me your email and contact number.
Old 19th February 2010, 23:04   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here's what we will be saving !! Just look at all that beauty !!

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-img_0187.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-img_0209.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-img_0212.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-img_0213.jpg

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-img_0218.jpg
Old 20th February 2010, 11:54   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Exciting news guys !!

I just got off the phone with the forest officials about my proposal and they have readily accepted the initiative.

Keeping in mind the impracticality of a third day off this is how we will in all probability work out our first Forest Revival Camp

Saturday Leave by 5:30 or 6am and reach Mannanur by 9 am

Breakfast

Revival activity: This could be garbage collection or tree planting

Lunch and rest

Evening wild life spotting

Dinner

Sunday morning

Wild life spotting

Breakfast

Revival activity

Lunch

Leave for Hyderabad

The food is being arranged at very low cost. A full day's meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner will be Rs 125 vegetarian. We can arrange for non-vegetarian food if we notify the canteen well in advance

I will work out the costs for stay and safaris and other details and let you all know soon

I would urge interested people to please start signing up. The first batch will be lmited to 30 people. I would think high school children and above agewise should be fine.

There are 8 cottages double bed and a 50 bed dormitory so we need to start logging in the members interested and the type of accommodation preferred.

DKG : 2 members, Cottage

Last edited by DKG : 20th February 2010 at 12:04.
Old 20th February 2010, 14:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi DKG,

This is indeed a very good initiative and I would definitely like to part it. I was going thru your Bhadrachalam Travelogue and was amazed at how much Forest Cover AP has and things must be done to conserve.

Please let us know which Forest are we planning to hit for the Pilot Camp.

Cheers
Old 20th February 2010, 14:37   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Please let us know which Forest are we planning to hit for the Pilot Camp.
Mannanur is the entry check post of the forest department at the Srisailam forest reserve. The stay facility is at Mannanur.

Do please share this info with friends/colleagues who you feel would be interested.

DKG: 2
Farooq Khan: 2
Milecruncher: please add the number of people who would be attending

Suggest we target weekend of March 6/7 ? Keeping in mind it gets hotter as we advance the date ?

Last edited by DKG : 20th February 2010 at 14:39.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish it was possible for me to be there!

@DKG: An excellent initiative, I must say. Tree planting and garbage cleaning are both important essentials, especially the elimination of non-biodegradable plastic waste.

One thought comes to mind, though. I hope a lot of people doesn't mean a lot of cars. Pooling together to drive a minimal number of vehicles into the forest would cut down on pollution. And as car enthusiasts, our inputs towards the maintenance of the Forest Dept.'s vehicles would also contribute in a small way. In my experience, the Gypsy's used inside the forests (whether Govt. vehicles or those used for safaris) are often poorly maintained, with smoke pouring out of their tailpipes in some instances. An arrangement for pollution check of these vehicles in conjunction with the local RTO/a PUC centre, and assistance in tuning and maintaining these vehicles and training the drivers to take care of them, would contribute a small bit to keep the air inside the forests clean too.

Once again, kudos to you for taking this initiative.
Old 20th February 2010, 17:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

@DKG: As already stated by SS-Traveller, I think we should also look at pooling vehicles. As the weather is getting is hot, I wouldn't mind even going next week.

When : Dep: Hyd Saturday, 27th Feb/6th March 6 am
Return:Sunday 28th Feb / 7th March Evening

Where : Mannanur Forest Check Post , Srisailam Reserve Forest
Confirmed Names :-
  1. DKG +1
  2. Farooq Khan + 1
  3. Milecruncher +1 (Bolero)
All those interested may put their name to this list based on which DKG will arrange the bookings. Please also put your vehicle so that the number of vehicles can be optimised.

Cheers
Old 20th February 2010, 17:36   #8
BHPian

When : Dep: Hyd Saturday, 27th Feb / 6th March, 6 am

Return : Sunday, 28th Feb / 7th March, Evening

Confirmed Names :-
  1. DKG + 1
  2. Farooq Khan + 1
  3. Milecruncher +1 (Bolero)
Tentative Names :-
  1. hyd_traveller + 0
All those interested may put their name to this list based on which DKG will arrange the bookings.

Please also put your vehicle so that the number of vehicles can be optimised.
Old 20th February 2010, 21:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

1. DKG + 1
  2. Farooq Khan + 1
  3. Milecruncher + 1 (Bolero)
  4. Fazal +1
  5. Devidas + 1
Old 20th February 2010, 21:13   #10
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The First Forest Revival Camp is being planned for the weekend of March 6th and 7th.

Confirmed member list

DKG : 2 members, 1 cottage
Farooque Khan: 2 members, 1 cottage
Milecruncher : 2 members, 1 cottage
Khalid Khan : 6 members, 3 cottages
Fazal Ali Adil : 2 members, 1 cottage
Devidas : 2 members, 1 cottage
Total count : 16 members, 8 cottages

We need an additional participation of 14 members to make our target group of 30 people.

Cottage accommodation is booked. Dorm beds are available

Tentative member list

Hyd_traveller : 1 member

Accommodation Tariff

4 cottages priced at Rs 400 each
4 cottages priced at Rs 500 each
Dorm beds priced at Rs 50 each

Last edited by DKG : 20th February 2010 at 21:15.
Old 20th February 2010, 21:30   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A request will be made to our friends in the forest department to ensure watering holes are replenished and salt licks installed in advance so wildlife get accustomed to these locations over the next two weeks.

Wildlife sighting as you all may know is not a guarantee but we need to now commence a methodical evaluation of wildlife present in the Srisailam forest.

We will have two opportunities for wildlife spotting, late evening Saturday (6th) and very early morning Sunday (7th). That should give us a reasonable experience of the present wildlife condition of the forest considering we will be venturing into the forest on trails for this purpose.

Please bring along your cameras and note books as we will hopefully have experts in our midst to educate us on the flora and fauna in the region.

I will let you know how the safaris will be conducted ie vehicles, in a day or two

I have requested our resident ace photographer Fazal to indulge us on the evening of the 6th along with another ace photographer Max with pictures of their rich wildlife safaris/experiences. Looking forward to a lovely evening of pictures and tales !!

Last edited by DKG : 20th February 2010 at 21:35.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:13   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As the weather is getting is hot, I wouldn't mind even going next week.
The reason why we are opting for the weekend of March 6th/7th is:

1. Gives the forest department ample time to work out the modalities of the safari. We are tryng to formalise this activity so the general public can start getting introduced to the pleasure of viewing wildlife

2. One of the forest officials who knows this region intimately is not available till March 2nd. Originally he was to take me in for this purpose of identifying trails for wildlife viewing. I am clubbing that activity with this camp. So we will in a way be experimenting with what works, so in a way I don't want to push them to organise something they are not comfy doing at a shorter notice

3. A senior officer during my discussions with him indicated to his colleagues on the need to replenish the watering tanks they had contructed for animals and have salt licks installed. I figured two weeks should be adequate for this to be done and animals to get used to visiting these locations

I am hoping that our camp will be a success and this becomes a regular activity at Mannanur. We will probably be the first group that the forest department will be taking in on a safari for wildlife viewing

BTW hotter climate means more animals gravitate to watering holes as their natural sources dry up. Sightings go up in summer

As suggested we'll pool cars too if so desired

Last edited by DKG : 20th February 2010 at 22:18.
Old 21st February 2010, 03:48   #13
BHPian

Excellent initiative DKG . Wish I was in Hyderabad.
Hopefully, will be there for the next trip.
Old 21st February 2010, 09:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I would urge interested people to please start signing up. The first batch will be lmited to 30 people. I would think high school children and above agewise should be fine.
The dates are not suitable for high school children like those of DPS because exams start on 2nd and end on 10th.

1 week later and I would not have thought twice before putting my name in the confirmed list.
Old 21st February 2010, 11:27   #15
BHPian

A great initiative, would love to be a part of this thing. It would be an great experience being out in the wild, doing something for the restoration of our forests and wild life.

When : Dep: 6th March, 6 am
Return : Sunday, 7th March, Evening

Confirmed member list

DKG : 2 members, 1 cottage
Farooque Khan: 2 members, 1 cottage
Milecruncher : 2 members, 1 cottage
Khalid Khan : 6 members, 3 cottages
Fazal Ali Adil : 2 members, 1 cottage
Devidas : 2 members, 1 cottage
Nikhil (traveloholic): 2 members, 1 cottage
Total count : 18 members, 9 cottages

Tentative member list

Hyd_traveller : 1 member

@Ani, Just as a last minute resort, can I hop in to your ride in case my ride doesnot get delivered to me in time or I am losing out on the conveyance part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks