Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 13:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

My 1000 are on the table too, we need just 9 more donors for these months.

The cattle will consume all the water and effort if they are allowed anywhere near the waterholes, it is a major factor that can defeat our very purpose.

Let us concentrate only on animal welfare and leave the media out of it for the moment, as we do not know what can trigger from the forest department's side.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:24   #47
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Water for wild animals fund

Excellent ! That's the spirit

Fazal : Rs 1000
DKG : Rs 1000
Khalid Khan : Rs 1000
Farooq Qader : Rs 1000
Ahmed : Rs 1000
Zahid Qadri : Rs 1000
Highwaylover : Rs 1000

Total : Rs 7000

Balance Rs 4000 to go

Last edited by DKG : 24th February 2010 at 13:32.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:26   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
My 1000 is also on the table. How about splitting the 11,000 by all the Bhpians coming for this trip. I think that will give some sense of responsibility.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
My 1000 is also on the table. How about splitting the 11,000 by all the Bhpians coming for this trip. I think that will give some sense of responsibility.
Wonderful beginning.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:30   #50
BHPian

Its great to see you guys doing this. I wish I could join in as well. Anyhow, garbage cleaning and planting trees is a good step forward. Just a thing to note here is that please do not introduce species of trees which are not from that forest/ region as they can have some serious effects not only on the flora but also the animals as they are not used to these. Thanks.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:35   #51
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
How about splitting the 11,000 by all the Bhpians coming for this trip. I think that will give some sense of responsibility.
Great idea. Since its entirely voluntary we'll leave it to people to take the initiative to offer. If in the end all the people participating want to contribute we simply divide the cost amongst the team and do the needful. Lets see how this progresses
Old 24th February 2010, 13:39   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
please do not introduce species of trees which are not from that forest/ region as they can have some serious effects not only on the flora but also the animals as they are not used to these. Thanks.
Extremely valid point. Just last evening I read about a near ecological disaster in one of the reserves because they introduced a variety of grass which totally upset the natural flora

I think we'll leave it to the forest officials to guide us on this, and we can always highlight this concern to them, just in case they make the same mistake

Fazal, any ideas on how we restrict the cattle. You know its a complex issue. But lets have some ideas please. A blanket no won't go down well with the villagers. We need to take into account their concerns too. A holistic approach is essential. Conservation as you well know and can be seen around India cannot be to the exclusion of human welfare for long term success. Those farmers on the fringes have to become our primary partners eventually.

I was thinking that we lobby to introduce a toll fee for access to the roads through the forest. With the revenue the forest department can procure fodder for the poor farmers living on the fringe depending on forests for grazing

Last edited by DKG : 24th February 2010 at 13:46.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Cattle at Nallamalla

A valid point about not excluding the locals from this effort, but in such a short time frame (summer months)[b] what can be done?

But then the cattle are not local, they are migratory cattle from neighboring states, NSTR is used as a grazing and parking ground before they proceed to Al Kabir.

Alternate grazing areas need to be allocated, the free grazing policy allows grazing but does not undertake providing water.

It is a choice between conserving the wildlife and providing water for them or allow cattle to consume the water being provided for wildlife.

The sheer volume of cattle is shocking.
On the highway
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-cattle-forest-1.jpg
Permanent cattle holds in the forest.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-cattle-forest-2.jpg
A typical sight at water holes all over the reserve.
Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-waterhole.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th February 2010 at 12:45. Reason: Please avoid un-necessary bolding of text, thanks
Old 24th February 2010, 13:50   #54
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fazal I feel a free grazing centre is the answer. Either through government funding or toll fee collections we need to create a fenced off cattle grazing ground where local farmers can leave cattle for the purpose. Provide water for the cattle and fodder.

The toll fee seems like a viable and sustainable proposal

The government can also maintain tracts of land outside forests purely for the purpose of generating fodder

I see one more very big advantage for a free grazing centre. Cattle health can be easily monitored too. Other animal husbandry projects can also be effectively executed eg increasing milk yield etc

Help the farmer so he will help us help wild life

Going by your observations which I agree with, there must be known migratory cattle paths. Obviously this can be efficiently tracked. If the end result is Al Kabeer then they need to be hounded to stop buying cattle !! if the perpetrators of the crime are the end users (like tiger trade in China) then cut out the end users.

If Al Kabir as a company or other slaughter houses cannot maintain a captive source and are relying on this kind of cattle supply then it needs to be clamped down on !!

Do you have confirmation on who all are the end users of this cattle?

Last edited by DKG : 24th February 2010 at 14:01.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, We are talking about 6-8 lakh cattle. As admitted by Tulasi Rao, it is 3-4 lakhs. who and how will the funds come in? If they should by any chance, should the same not be used for the forest?

Cattle grazing here is a very complex issue, the first step can be restricting cattle grazing for only locals and not allow outside cattle in high volumes enter the reserve. Local politicians have all rights here and forest officials too dare not oppose them for fear of reprimand from the capital.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 24th February 2010 at 14:01.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:02   #56
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Deepak, We are talking about 6-8 lakh cattle.
Lets go step by step. How many of these 6-8 lakh are migratory meant for slaughter houses?. And who all are the slaughter houses other than Al Kabir

We'll lobby to make them pay for the fodder !

Last edited by DKG : 24th February 2010 at 14:04.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:22   #57
BHPian

and the Tannery Industry , they could partly share the liabilities with slaughter houses.

I'm gob-smacked with this initiative and hope to partake seriously one fine day. Nice going Deepak "garu" :-)
Old 24th February 2010, 14:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Lets go step by step. How many of these 6-8 lakh are migratory meant for slaughter houses?. And who all are the slaughter houses other than Al Kabir

We'll lobby to make them pay for the fodder !
The thing is they not own up first that this cattle ends up at their place. There are many small time too, who do not care or do not know where cattle comes to them from.
This can be done by high level government initiatives, the money that is paid to local influential politicians by the cattle cartel is huge and this cannot stop for various reasons which go up to the top of the command. That is why it is a very complex matter where huge sums of money is in circulation and not a localized cattle grazing matter. A PIL is the only way.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:54   #59
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
and the Tannery Industry , they could partly share the liabilities with slaughter houses.

I'm gob-smacked with this initiative and hope to partake seriously one fine day. Nice going Deepak "garu" :-)
About time hero ! Where have you been? I tried calling you when you were unwell but there was no response. Hope you have fully recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
The thing is they not own up first that this cattle....A PIL is the only way.
If a large chunk of the cattle belongs to local farmers and its their source of livelihood then it becomes the government's responsibility to help these poor farmers with sustainable fodder sources, water, and veterinary assistance

If a big chunk is heading for slaughterhouses and tanneries as Arun states then surely either they can be asked to maintain the cattle prior to being slaughtered or levy a tax to help government running a cattle maintenance centre(s)

PIL's are definitely a final resort when even the Union Minister fails to respond
Old 24th February 2010, 15:48   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Water for wild animals fund

Khalid Khan : Rs 1000
Farooq Qader : Rs 1000
Ahmed : Rs 1000
Zahid Qadri : Rs 1000
Highwaylover : Rs 1000

Total : Rs 7000