Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 16:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Walkie-Talkie systems

Deky can provide you with some usefull info. Pm him and let him know about this thread. He can put in a few lines that would be useful for all.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Deky can provide you with some usefull info. Pm him and let him know about this thread. He can put in a few lines that would be useful for all.
Well I have mentioned earlier, that I have been using these basic units for over a while now but I dont know if I can help on the legality part

Ten years back when the cell phone prices were very high and network connectivity was not even 1/4th of what we have today, 2way/ 4way communication ( I have one with 4 sets) with these walkie talkies was a boon.

While on a trek or when a couple of you are in a mall, it is very easy to locate each other. But the only problem with these sets is the battery. It consumes way to much of battery for my liking.

As for the legality part I have no idea about it. If I can decipher the attached document correctly, then I can safely say that some frequencies are perfectly legal In India. But in India we can never argue with the cops anyways!!
wireless.doc

So my advise would be, that till the time someone else in the forum can advise for sure if these ( The basic ones) are legal or not, use them but be a bit discreet.

Last edited by deky : 14th December 2010 at 20:04.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:30   #33
BHPian

Unfortunately, the radio regulations and frequency band allocations in India are not technology driven, but rather by commercial interests. There are't many unlicenced bands for general public usage and the bands that are free are not very usable and cannot be utilized by the latest technology. As a result, most of the license-free two-way radios that are available abroad, which operate in UHF band, (like US and europe) cannot be legally used in India.

The citizens band is the only band that is de-licenced for public use, without any emission restrictions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen...radio_in_India

Same is true for Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) license, which plagues from procedural issues and red-tapism. While getting a Amateur license in the US or Australia is a matter of a couple of hours, in India, one has to be very lucky to get in less than a year.
Old 15th December 2010, 14:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yes actually while talking to some cops from the radio licensing unit here in Delhi they were of the opinion that CB wont require a license but were not completely sure. I wonder if we can safely use a CB radio at pour homes/cars or carry wireless sets CB type with us when we are travelling on a trek or something.
@Deky,thanks mate for the document. It surely clears up a lot of doubts. Now I need to source the requisite equipment that conforms to the specifications.
Old 21st June 2011, 23:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
While getting a Amateur license in the US or Australia is a matter of a couple of hours, in India, one has to be very lucky to get in less than a year.
Opening up an old thread. A noob question. Are the licenses obtained in US valid for use in India? Also, can an Indian traveling to US get a license from the US?
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Opening up an old thread. A noob question. Are the licenses obtained in US valid for use in India? Also, can an Indian traveling to US get a license from the US?
Well, US licenses are not valid in India legally and by the spirit of it. One can get Amateur Radio license in US by appearing for the exam. See this link for more details.
Amateur radio licensing in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Checkout VUHams yahoo group for technical discussions and more on the licensing if you are interested.

But, again, if you are looking for only short distance communication during a trip or an event among your friends, then walkie-talkie/CB radio is the best option.

If you are technically inclined and want to get your hands dirty in Radio Communication then you may pursue Amateur Radio as a hobby.
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:08   #37
Team-BHP Support

6 months since the last post. Does any one have any updates on the legality of using a .5/1 Watt power Motorola walkie talkie in India.
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:25   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
6 months since the last post. Does any one have any updates on the legality of using a .5/1 Watt power Motorola walkie talkie in India.
Read these:

A license for walkie talkie in India

List of Subordinate Legislations
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:41   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Thanks.

But the wpc link does not mention anything about the 462 freq range used by Motorola Talkabouts. Or does it?
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:51   #40
BHPian

Check WPC website for the latest frequency allocation plan. The latest is 2011 and the link is NFAP - 2011

460-470 MHz is allocated for Fixed / Mobile/Meteo satellite communication. This band is earmarked for commercial usage. And there is no licensing provisions for public usage either.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the following model motorola two way walkie talkie has the allowed public frequency in India? Any will I have any trouble if I have this in my check in baggage from US?

I saw someone saying that he brought a radio from London or somewhere else, what was the experience with customs ?

Brand Name: Motorola
Model: MR350R

Product Features
VibraCall vibration alert or 20 different call tones
11 weather channels (7 NOAA) with alert features
22 channels each with 121 privacy codes for superior interference protection
Pair of two-way radios with up to 35 mile range
iVOX hands-free communication without the need for an audio accessory
Battery Average Life: 8.0 Hours
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:33   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the following model motorola two way walkie talkie has the allowed public frequency in India? Any will I have any trouble if I have this in my check in baggage from US?
I am assuming it has the standard motorola frequency chart.
Walkie-Talkie systems-freq.jpg

These frequencies are not present in the document provided by bejoy.

Also I am curious if a .5/1 watt power output would be banned in India. As its power is quite low.
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:54   #43
BHPian

@bblost, the freq band is listed in page 63.

@trammway, Customs officials generally don't care about walkie talkies. As long as these don't interfere with any other communications, one may not land into trouble. The good thing is that the frequency allocations generally follow the ITU recommendations. So the US FCC (WPC equivalent) frequency allocations matches with the Indian one, in most of the cases. (Though US and India falls into different regions among the 3 regions and the allocations vary slightly. International Telecommunication Union region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). So, since these devices from US strictly follow the FCC spectrum, chances of interference with other services are unlikely in India.

Imagine this; on a vacation, you saw a large gated vacant land. No one's around and the turf is green. The gate was open and you decided to play badminton with your friends or fly kites on the turf. Now, the land belonged to govt or was already allotted to some group. Did you interfere with anyone? No. Does the govt care? No. Did you did anything illegal? Well....
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 09:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

@bejoy, Thanks for that piece of information. About the product, I have copied some additional information here:

It says 35miles range, does it sounds some problem here?
  • The Motorola Talkabout MR350 is the ultimate communication tool for the serious outdoor enthusiast. With a range of up to 35 miles and loaded with every possible radio feature, it's lightweight and rugged, with extra-large buttons to help you operate even with gloves on.
  • Includes an emergency alert feature, allowing you to enjoy your escape to the great outdoors with confidence that others can be informed of any dangers that may come your way
  • When the alert button is activated, the radio transmits an alert siren followed by transmission of spoken or incidental sounds; this allows you to send the signal to other radios and warn of impending danger
  • Built-in LED flashlight for peace-of-mind during evening adventures or unexpected emergencies and power outages
  • Weather alerts will provide your group with warnings of incoming storms or dangerous conditions
  • By tuning in to one of 7 NOAA channels on your MR350, you will always know what to pack with continuous local and regional weather broadcasting
  • Full 22-frequency capacity with 121 privacy codes to reduce interruptions
  • Motorola QT (Quiet talk) functionality allows the radios to be set so they can communicate with other compatible Motorola products, adding yet another level of distinction from the other manufacturers
  • Designed to fit every lifestyle, the MR350 allows you the convenience of charging four distinct ways
  • Use the provided desktop charger at home or a mini-USB car cable on your way to soccer practice
  • Pack a mini-USB wall cable for recharge in the hotel during your family vacation or simply charge from your PC when no power outlet is available using a mini-USB PC cable
  • Mini-USB car, wall and PC cables are sold separately
  • The MR350 VibraCall silent vibrating ringer is especially useful for locations where ringing can be intrusive
  • Extra power when you need it with Push To Talk Power Boost; when activated, this feature allows you to extend the transmitter power output while saving battery life when no power boost is necessary
  • Model includes 2 radios, 2 belt clips,1 dual charger, 1 charging adapter, 2 NiMH rechargeable battery packs and emergency preparedness checklist sheet
Old 26th March 2012, 17:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
@bejoy, Thanks for that piece of information. About the product, I have copied some additional information here:

It says 35miles range, does it sounds some problem here?
  • The Motorola Talkabout MR350 is the ultimate communication tool for the serious outdoor enthusiast. With a range of up to 35 miles and loaded with every possible radio feature, it's lightweight and rugged, with extra-large buttons to help you operate even with gloves on.
  • Includes an emergency alert feature, allowing you to enjoy your escape to the great outdoors with confidence that others can be informed of any dangers that may come your way
  • When the alert button is activated, the radio transmits an alert siren followed by transmission of spoken or incidental sounds; this allows you to send the signal to other radios and warn of impending danger
  • Built-in LED flashlight for peace-of-mind during evening adventures or unexpected emergencies and power outages
  • Weather alerts will provide your group with warnings of incoming storms or dangerous conditions
  • By tuning in to one of 7 NOAA channels on your MR350, you will always know what to pack with continuous local and regional weather broadcasting
  • Full 22-frequency capacity with 121 privacy codes to reduce interruptions
  • Motorola QT (Quiet talk) functionality allows the radios to be set so they can communicate with other compatible Motorola products, adding yet another level of distinction from the other manufacturers
  • Designed to fit every lifestyle, the MR350 allows you the convenience of charging four distinct ways
  • Use the provided desktop charger at home or a mini-USB car cable on your way to soccer practice
  • Pack a mini-USB wall cable for recharge in the hotel during your family vacation or simply charge from your PC when no power outlet is available using a mini-USB PC cable
  • Mini-USB car, wall and PC cables are sold separately
  • The MR350 VibraCall silent vibrating ringer is especially useful for locations where ringing can be intrusive
  • Extra power when you need it with Push To Talk Power Boost; when activated, this feature allows you to extend the transmitter power output while saving battery life when no power boost is necessary
  • Model includes 2 radios, 2 belt clips,1 dual charger, 1 charging adapter, 2 NiMH rechargeable battery packs and emergency preparedness checklist sheet

There is no way that you will get 35 miles from a Motorola Talkabout Radio that has only 1/2 watt of transmit power and runs on AA batteries. These are just marketing gimmicks and 35 miles would be the range if you were on top of the Eiffel tower trying to speak to a plane 35 miles away. strictly line of sight and sunny weather. Even then I have my doubts. The frequencies used by these FRS radios are ILLEGAL to use in India and most of these are already allocated to police, fire etc. you can land into trouble if your set interferes with one of theirs.

Your best bet is to get a CB radio which is legal to use and can be used anywhere in India without a licence. You can use a handheld one or a car mounted version and the range is pretty substantial for individual use. Drop me a PM and I can give you some contacts to find a radio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks