Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 16:18   #61
BHPian

Re: Walkie-Talkie systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungax View Post
Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for , however none of the cheap Walkie Talkies available in Amazon have type approval certificates.

So basically without the certificates they will be illegal.
Will check from established brands like Entel or Motorola.
Make sure you buy from licensed dealers who would provide the necessary documentation regarding the type approval.
bejoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 16:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for , however none of the cheap Walkie Talkies available in Amazon have type approval certificates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Make sure you buy from licensed dealers who would provide the necessary documentation regarding the type approval.
The cheap ones are not 500 mW either.
Do we need to have the type approval certificate to use these? My thinking was that just being compliant is good enough as long as you are not caught with one in sensitive areas.
Old 20th January 2021, 17:07   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Do we need to have the type approval certificate to use these? My thinking was that just being compliant is good enough as long as you are not caught with one in sensitive areas.
Yes, it is not cheap (relatively). More than the power, the type approval make sure that the frequency is not programmable and cannot "wander" outside the license free band. I think the cheap ones advertised as license free are in fact programmable.
Quote:

Kenwood has a lineup in india
https://www.kenwood.com/india/com/lfr/

Contact their distributor directly. Contact is in the site above.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 17:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Yes, it is not cheap (relatively). More than the power, the type approval make sure that the frequency is not programmable and cannot "wander" outside the license free band. I think the cheap ones advertised as license free are in fact programmable.

Kenwood has a lineup in india
https://www.kenwood.com/india/com/lfr/

Contact their distributor directly. Contact is in the site above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar;

Yes the cheap ones are programable. Some are 500mW and below.

The idea is to get proper ones to use freely and have all the correct documentation if questioned.

I have been using portable VHF and UHF devices for more than 20 years. They are far more convenient than mobile phones in the field. The 'broadcast' nature of a radio actually contributes to safety as it keeps all parties informed.

I recently used a set between two cars on a road trip. Although holding and communicating on a radio is second nature to me, even the other passengers found it more convenient that picking up a phone and making a call. Each car was able to keep track of the other car and in a traffic jam we communicated which lane was the fastest to clear the jam quickly.
gungax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 10:31   #65
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I am absolutely new to this wireless walkie talkie thing and i do not know much about licensing. I've come to know through google search that 446 mhz is license free walkie talkie and i would not be bothered by authorities if I use the 446 mhz walkie-talkie(?).

I have selected the Motorola T82 and the Kenwood PKT-23E, both of which are available on Amazon. Which of the two should I go for?
I intend to use these license free walkie talkie during safari drives in big National Parks/ Tiger Reserves and in remote forest/hill areas during vacation drives. I am aware of it's effective working radius of max 2 kms.

Kindly guide on the pros and cons of using the two walkie talkie sets above.

Thanks and regards.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 22:06   #66

Same query as Sushil. If anybody could share their recent experience, it will be great
akkudreamz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 07:38   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkudreamz View Post
Same query as Sushil. If anybody could share their recent experience, it will be great
I have shared my purchase and use/utility experience of Motorola T82 446 MHz license-free radio handsets in the link below :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5309189 (The Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) thread)

Regards,

Sushil.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re-igniting this thread. Which is a legal walkie talkie, that we can buy off lets say Amazon? Most reviews say they do not need license, but we know how it works! I have shorted listed Motorola T260 (3 sets in 1 pack) but want to be doubly sure.

The intended purpose is only for long drives on when we go trekking in the hills or forest trails.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 15:25   #69
BHPian

Walkie-talkies are classified into two types: licensed walkie-talkies and license-free walkie-talkies.

The operating license for licensed walkie-talkies must be obtained from the appropriate agencies. However, there is no requirement from any government authority to use license-free walkie-talkies.

There are four basic types of two-way radio's (walkie talkie):
1. FRS
2. CB
3. GMRS
4. HAM (Amateur Radio)

Walkie-Talkie systems-whatsapp-image-20230614-17.32.30.jpeg

The above image is based on the rules & regulations in the USA. However, using a GMRS/HAM radio will require a license in India as well. The CB (citizens band) radio is a safe & hassle free choice, it can work up to a distance of 1km under ideal conditions and it operates within the legal frequency range in India.

The local Thar owners group that I'm a part of, uses the Baofeng BF-888S walkie talkie set, so I ended up buying the same. Even though Baofeng is a Chinese company, it is well known worldwide. These don't require a license, priced under INR 3.5k they offer great value for money and it comes as a set of two devices. This is a great option for beginners. Sharing the amazon link below if anyone is interested to purchase this:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Walkie-Talkie systems-baofeng-bf888s.jpg
Nair.V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 16:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
However, using a GMRS/HAM radio will require a license in India as well. The CB (citizens band) radio is a safe & hassle free choice, it can work up to a distance of 1km under ideal conditions and it operates within the legal frequency range in India.

The local Thar owners group that I'm a part of, uses the Baofeng BF-888S walkie talkie set, so I ended up buying the same. Even though Baofeng is a Chinese company, it is well known worldwide. These don't require a license,
GMRS is not allowed in India, period. HAM requires license.

The Baofeng 888S doesn't work in the license free frequency allowed in India and therefore it is not legal. However it can be programmed to the legal frequency if you have the proper cable and software.

We in the Bangalore Thar group use Brutforce radios that are truly license free.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 16:37   #71
BHPian

Quote:
GMRS is not allowed in India, period. HAM requires license.

The Baofeng 888S doesn't work in the license free frequency allowed in India and therefore it is not legal. However it can be programmed to the legal frequency if you have the proper cable and software.

We in the Bangalore Thar group use Brutforce radios that are truly license free.
Thanks for pointing this out, good to know that the Baofeng can be programmed to work in a legal range.
Old 17th June 2023, 18:05   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Re-igniting this thread. Which is a legal walkie talkie, that we can buy off lets say Amazon?s.
BrutForce BFR002.
These are the ONLY Walkies in India which are presently considered legal.
Details attached here.
I have a pair lying around in their original boxes. Bought them when I thought I would join trail drives regularly. Never ended up doing Trail Drives in groups hence never used them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BFR-002 Certificate Document.pdf (70.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: pdf BFR 002 _ User manual_Brutforce_v13 inside pages.pdf (2.59 MB, 96 views)
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 23:11   #73
Senior - BHPian

I have multiple sets of President CB radios. Works extremely well and have a super range. I have both handheld versions as well as the car installed unit. All work very well.

Oh and they are very much legal. Infact almost all of the serious offroading groups in North use President CB radios.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 00:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
BrutForce BFR002.
These are the ONLY Walkies in India which are presently considered legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I have multiple sets of President CB radios.
Oh and they are very much legal.
Exactly, there are various legal license-free walkie options in India. Here is the range from Kenwood India.
BrutForce is just a new non-Chinese entrant which is easily available, cheaper than CBs, and works OK for short distances.
Old 18th June 2023, 04:41   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Exactly, there are various legal license-free walkie options in India. Here is the range from Kenwood India.
BrutForce is just a new non-Chinese entrant which is easily available, cheaper than CBs, and works OK for short distances.
Does this mean GOI is relaxing the rules a bit?

Or is this whole stance on ‘legality’ motivated by the ‘anti-policy’ on ‘Chinese and other Covered Telecommunications’ devices.

Or is it about the transmission frequency?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks