Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

First impressions are lasting impressions. Campus recruitment is a very critical part of one's career since you are transitioning from your " oh this is college" to a very professional setup. Over the years I have learnt that you represent your company, no matter where you go and that is something we use when we hire people.

Good HR Folks look not for qualifications but for qualities. They are trained in finding people and that is their job. Personally, interviews are formal affairs. Meetings are formal affairs and dressing well reflects how seriously you take it.

When I used to work with a large company, the clients used to be either formally dressed or some of them used to come wearing jeans and t-shirts - and it was quite evident from their attitude as well - that they did not take the whole thing seriously. As a thumb rule- I don't like people coming to meet me dressed casually - and so I don't dress such.

and showing the finger - wow! that's down right shortsighted and 1 step short of stupid.

and yeah- Personal grooming is extremely important the interview is your 15 mins to prove to the person on the other side of the table that you are better than the rest- and if you don't look the part - how can you be that person?

Last edited by madan80 : 23rd March 2010 at 11:16.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:57   #32
BHPian

Guys Guys! All that the OP asked for was an opinion on hs choice of clothes for the interview and we have gone totally .

However, many of the posts contain invaluable information for anyone planning on attending interviews so I guess its tremendously beneficial.

My 2 cents:

Before attending an interview, try to find out something about the work culture of the company. Is it v formal, informal or semi formal. Then you can dress apropriately for the company. Imagine a situation where the interviewer is in jeans and t-shirt and the interviewee is dressed in a suit!!

Always err on the conservative side. A formal shirt, trousers and well polished leather shoes are a safe bet in most companies.

Personal Hygiene: As mentioned by various people, it is important to bathe, shave, comb and put on a mild deo. Also abstain from any form of tobacco use atleast 30 mins prior to the interview.

One can go on and on about good interview techniques but most are easily available online if one searches on google.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

I remember one interview in HP, where I was the only interviewer. The candidate in spite of sitting 3ft away managed to choke me in heavy tobacco smell throughout the interview. I wound up the interview very fast since I couldn't take that smell anymore. He must have smoked some very strong brand of cigarette before entering the room. The result is left to your guess.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have always appeared for interviews in a formal. There was one instance last year where I had to appear for an interview in casuals. My office was in Malad and another company called me for an interview while I was at work. Since it was a friday, I was in casuals and i informed them accordingly.

To this they stated that it is okay as long as it is not shorts. I still ensured that I went to the nearest super market and bought a pair of formal shirts to team up with the jeans.

PS: I had cracked that interview but could never join them; all thanks to the recession :(

Another instance was last month:

I appeared for another interview with a large company who is in the process of setting their office in India. It was an informal setting with me being interviewed at in the lobby of the hotel while my interviewer (an expat) was sipping on lime soda. I had worn dark shirt but ensure that I wore a tie to offset the dark shirt effect.

PS: The results are still awaited. In case I get through, light/dark rule may not be always applicable
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Depends on the sector you are in for management consultancy and financial sector formal dressing and even a suit is must.
IT service companies ( often euphemistically labeled as Consultancy) need to follow their clients as most of their business is from BFI ( Banking , Finance and Insurance) they insist on formal dressing.

For engineering positions in product development companies particularly in S/W ,VLSI, DSP etc a shirt without tie or collared T-Shirt rocks as people have certain antipathy for suit wearing manager types.

For business development and marketing positions again a tie and formal is must but blazer and suit depends on the sector you are in.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:33   #36
BHPian

that dark blue shade is good because i read somewhere that wearing that colour makes people take you seriously and believe you.
Some psychological trick. Apparently its the best colour to wear in court.

Personally, its a terrible combo....i'd go light pink shirt and contrasting silk tie
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
believe me it was not a test regarding the dress code.
and who said showing your finger aint attitude
Well if you ask me its a stupid and irresponsible thing to do.

Instead if you friend had kept hi cool and responded to the interviewer in a polite manner and said to him that he was not really prepared or dressed for the interview and basically walked in.

Do you think that would have changed the outcome ?

This is not an ad or a movie is it ?
Its real life. I don't think any company will want a "I'll do as I want" guy.
Trust me those type of guys can be worst member in a team, it really does't matter if he is skilled and technically excellent. If he won't listen to anyone and has a serious attitude problem it as good as the guy is't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
What about the attitude shown by the interviewer? Only if candidate was dressed indecently, the interviewers action could be justified. Not selecting a candidate is very different than asking the candidate to leave.
No offence buddy. Do you really think that is the way to behave on the part of the interviewee ?
Do you seriously think walking in for an interview in a Jeans will make it look cool ?

If that is the case there is no point explaining anything to you.

Dress code is one part of the equation.
The way you dress in a way defines who you are. Its one sure fire way to make a first impression even without saying a word.

Its just like "bling" in the ride. You can be over the top, cool and Yo...! or just plain classy.

Its your choice.

I'm not saying the interviewer is 100% right, but its his damn choice ain't it ? If you behave politely you don't loose anything. If you shout like the other idiot that just make both of them idiots.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of my interview with infosys in year 2000. I was told I had to appear in the written exam and interview would be next day, so I wore a casual denim shirt and a jeans and walked in. as soon as we were done, we were asked to go to another location and appear in the interview. I had been in intense delhi heat, dust and then took another auto I think, and had my interview, I don't think I had shaved either.

But I got selected anyhow. They were very focused on the puzzles and quality of thought process at that time.

Moral of the story, be in your best shape at all times.

@Gandhi, quite likely that you know how to cary yourself, but make an office a dress code free place and you will see many coming in their bathroom slippers and "pants" resembling PJs. I am speaking from my personal experience.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
@Gandhi, quite likely that you know how to cary yourself, but make an office a dress code free place and you will see many coming in their bathroom slippers and "pants" resembling PJs. I am speaking from my personal experience.
Our office is actually a dress code free place. There is no dress code for any day for any occasion. And not only me, everyone knows how to carry oneself.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
we never judge a candidate based on his clothing. We do get candidates who come in jeans/t-shirt and it doesn't make any difference to us as clothing has zero impact on the quality of product we are delivering.
But why in the world does anyone want to attend and interview in a T-shirt and Jeans ? If you ask me a person like that is trying to make a point which is't there.

Quote:
Let say you have to hire a position of your colleague. You find a candidate who is perfectly suited for the job, would you reject him just because he/she came in casuals for interview?
Maybe you got the wrong message. Bad Dressing does't mean the guy is bad. But you don't go to a bed in a Suit ? Do you ?

Its called dressing for the occasion.

Quote:
has zero impact on the quality of product we are delivering.
There is a reason most companies enforce Dress code.
Personally I'm no fan of it and I like my T and Jeans.

I have seen guys coming in bathroom slippers. So a dress code is a good thing.
Just imagine a prospective client seeing that. What will they think ?
So dressing does impact on what you deliver, right ? But yes it does't actually impact the quality. However it just might result in the company "not" getting a chance to deliver at all.

Quote:
everyone knows how to carry oneself.
Not entirely correct IMO.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:37   #41
BHPian

Our office is a dress code free place too. Just as many mentioned, the problem is some people take this liberty to the next level and come in bathroom slippers, worn out jeans , round neck tshirts with weird writings, etc.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
But why in the world does anyone want to attend and interview in a T-shirt and Jeans ? If you ask me a person like that is trying to make a point which is't there.
Different industries have different requirement I remember in 1999 I appeared for Interview in Motorola India Ltd. in T-Shirt and jeans and a very senior person interviewing me was in a Pathani Suit with a Skull cap looking like a Maulavi well that gentleman was an exception but still his organization was obviously not objecting to his dressing.

I am in a different organization then Mot. and interview mostly senior people for peer level recruitment and I yet to see one single candidate walk in wearing a suit or even a tie.

Quote:

Just imagine a prospective client seeing that. What will they think ?
So dressing does impact on what you deliver, right ? But yes it does't actually impact the quality. However it just might result in the company "not" getting a chance to deliver at all.

Not entirely correct IMO.
Only if your business has a client who may take your dressing otherwise , In my industry if your wear a suit many people will suspect if you will contribute something technically or harp on process.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd March 2010 at 20:05.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Different industries have different requirement
As I already said "Its called dressing for the occasion."
If the job required wearing a gorilla suit you have to I guess.

However we are discussing not about a niche sector but the industry as a whole or call it "generic"

Tie or Suit is not mandatory or not even the norm in most industries in India. However I've heard people being "asked" rather harshly to wear a Suit, Tie and the works at Client side (Read US, UK and the lot)
So gorilla suit indeed

Quote:
Only if your business has a client who may take your dressing otherwise , In my industry if your wear a suit many people will suspect if you will contribute something technically or harp on process.
Most companies would rather take their chances wearing shirts than T's it seem. So what the point again ?
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:13   #44
BHPian

From my experience, in most places that have a liberal dress code, those who stick to formals are somehow perceived as better employees. So you might as well be on the right side, and wear the right clothes. The entire "we are engineers, and we allow our employees to be engineers and show up in jeans" routine, at times amounts to nothing more than a hogwash.
Personally, if someone working under me shows up in jeans, I won't have any issues. However, a lot of people do.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I already said "Its called dressing for the occasion."
If the job required wearing a gorilla suit you have to I guess.

However we are discussing not about a niche sector but the industry as a whole or call it "generic"

Tie or Suit is not mandatory or not even the norm in most industries in India. However I've heard people being "asked" rather harshly to wear a Suit, Tie and the works at Client side (Read US, UK and the lot)
So gorilla suit indeed
Well it is niche here because except banking and hospitality industry I do not see anyone wearing a suit. Few days back I went to address a developer seminar in a prominent hotel and wearing a suit is sure shot way to be mistaken as hotel staff.

I have worked in USA as well and Chinos and a T is not out of place always in the certain sectors.

I heard a lot about Japan being a black suit country , Visited a few of big companies office for business discussion couple of years back in summer and I was the only one wearing a suit.

So started watching out keenly that I am not overdressed for the occasion.

Quote:
Most companies would rather take their chances wearing shirts than T's it seem. So what the point again ?
Point is there can be no blanket rule, Conservative dressing is a rule but a business suit may look equivalent to gorilla suit and raise the suspicion level of recruiters in many cases.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd March 2010 at 20:37.

Most Viewed