Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 13:23   #61
BHPian

Agree with Vivek.

Dressing up is a way of showing respect to the potential employer and I wouldnt want to play spoil-sport with that.

I had a funny incident when I appeared for the HR discussion with my current employer. I came down from Chennai that particular day, to take part in the discussion and the first question was "Were You in Forum Mall, two days back?". When I asked why would he be asking that, the reply was "I saw someone with long hair and streaks, in the forum mall". I told him politely "it wasnt me, and thanks for taking time to discuss the style quotient".

I have attended atleast 4 interviews (am in IT) with the same hair-do and dont think anyone saw me different. Infact I have had light (and funny) discussions with the HR people, on my hair style. Ofcourse I ensure the attire goes with my hair style and carry it well.

I ask myself these questions, when I dress-up for the interview:
1) Do I feel comfortable (and confident to carry well) with the whole setup (dress, shoes, hair-do, subtle perfume, no bulging pockets, nothing in the shirt pocket etc).
2) Would my appearance make the interviewers uncomfortable, even a wee-bit.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am still waiting to hear from somebody who attended their own wedding in T-Shirt. After all, it can't indicate their future performance as a spouse.
Good one , but do people wear a north Indian Hindu wedding attire ( Silk kurata set , Jodhpuri or Sherwani with dupatta) to a European wedding or even South Indian Hindu wedding ?

Wedding attire depends on the region you are in and similary interview attire should depend on the industry. Yes some people do wear a boring business suit in their weddings but no one calls it a universal attire.

The rule is simple , wear something which is on conservative side of your business attire. If normal business attire demands wearing a Jacket and tie like in financial sector do wear a full suit.

But avoid looking out of place , awkward and uncomfortable.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:40   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Did anyone watch the movie " In pursuit of Happiness" ? It is based on true story of Chris Gardner.

In the interview scene Chris Gardner ( Will Smith) lands up in interview at a wall street firm with a pair or jeans and a vest with no shoes and paint spilled over him but he explains nicely on how he was arrested while painting his house for a parking ticket case and rushing to interview just after his release so he is serious about this job.

Kind of inspirational for all interview takers and candidates.

FYI : My company is not as relaxed to allow shorts in office but there is no dress code either

Let me guess was your previous company One of the top 5 IT service company ? In my experience as a client of their services , Those guys somehow think that client is unhappy about dress code and not the quality / skill of their personal

I love that scene.
The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - Memorable quotes
Martin Frohm: What would you say if man walked in here with no shirt, and I hired him? What would you say?
Christopher Gardner: He must have had on some really nice pants.

and also the interview scene again starring Will Smith in MIB.

In fact that scene was running thru my head when I attended the interview in my present company. 7 years back.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I am still waiting to hear from somebody who attended their own wedding in T-Shirt. After all, it can't indicate their future performance as a spouse.
Not sure if you are referring to me, but if so then I did propose to wear casuals for my own wedding but finally I had to bow down against my entire family. BTW, interview and wedding are completely different occasions. Wedding is something you do only once in your lifetime (okay, not for everybody but for most of us at least in India) and you *do* want to look good on that particular day. I don't see the need to look good for an interview. I have interviewed candidates in casuals, clothes not ironed, beard not shaved but that doesn't stop me from hiring that guy if he is fit for the job.

Let me make my stand clear, I am not against wearing formals in an interview or while working, my point is only that one's attire should not be considered as a factor while judging him/her.

Peace.

Last edited by Gandhi : 24th March 2010 at 14:30.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Good one , but do people wear a north Indian Hindu wedding attire ( Silk kurata set , Jodhpuri or Sherwani with dupatta) to a European wedding or even South Indian Hindu wedding ?
Indian attires may not be having pants or jackets/coats. But the Kurta/salwar sets, Jodhpuris and the Sherwanis are all formal Indian attires and are by no means considered as "casuals" or "informals".

Yes. People DO wear North Indian Hindu wedding attires, to not only formal European weddings, but also to International government conferences, meetings, seminars, and evening parties. During my stay abroad, I wore them frequently, and I came across many Indian ambassadors and first secretaries as well as Indian UN officials wearing formal Indian attires. Sherwanis were very popular among them.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 24th March 2010 at 14:25.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:26   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In fact that scene was running thru my head when I attended the interview in my present company. 7 years back.
Surprising, considering the movie isn't 7 years old. Are you referring to the MIB interview?

Last edited by Samurai : 24th March 2010 at 14:27.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:34   #67
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, I meant the MIB scene.
Men in Black (1997)

My interview was in Feb 2003.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:36   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Surprising, considering the movie isn't 7 years old. Are you referring to the MIB interview?
Wasn't that released in 1997 which is about 13 years ago? The sequel MiB II was released in 2002.

So he could, afterall, be thinking of that during his interview 7 years ago......

Prajwal
Old 24th March 2010, 14:48   #69
Team-BHP Support

He mostly talked about TPOH interview, hence the question. The MIB interview is really unrealistic, can't be compared to corporate interview.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:41   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Did anyone watch the movie " In pursuit of Happiness" ? It is based on true story of Chris Gardner.
Nice movie, but the point there is it was due to circumstances beyond his control. Going to an interview wearing a T on purpose is a different deal eh ?

Quote:
I wanted to , but the idea was shot down by all.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:57   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Not sure if you are referring to me, but if so then I did propose to wear casuals for my own wedding but finally I had to bow down against my entire family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
I wanted to , but the idea was shot down by all.
@Samurai: You don't have to wait anymore now for the answer.
Yes I attended my wedding in absolute casuals and didn't gave in to pressures from anyone (family, relatives, and friends) for wearing suit or sherwani etc. The reason was I doesn't feel comfortable in suits and other wedding dresses. It's 5 yrs now and my better half and in laws still say they haven't expected anything like this from me seeing I was working in corporate culture from quite sometime.

But the answer to question raised in this thread is, I never attended interview in anything but formals in my 12-13 yr career in India as well as outside. Also I don't reject candidates outright for not wearing formals but really appreciate if they adhere to the unwritten rules of wearing formals.
Old 24th March 2010, 20:25   #72
BHPian

Sorry for being OT, but just a piece of advice:

Want to stress the fact that being sincere to a paricular interview will immensely help. I work for India's most reputed MNC. Thinking that the brand name would sell, I attended my next interview half prepared. Only during the course of the interview I realized that what I thought was wrong. You know the result!

And ofcourse, formal or casual, it's about how you carry it. If you wear a T and a jean and try to show-off your style quotient, your biceps, you are sure to be knocked out. If you aren't sure of yourself, it's better to play safe with a trouser and a full sleeve shirt.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:35   #73
BHPian

Quote:
For one of the rituals I wore a T-Shirt & 3/4th track pant
Old 26th March 2010, 11:38   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Yes I attended my wedding in absolute casuals
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
For one of the rituals I wore a T-Shirt & 3/4th track pant
We want pictures, you can mask the faces.
Old 14th June 2012, 08:19   #75
Team-BHP Support

Re: Interview Dress Code help

Couldn't find any other thread on dress code, don't want to start another for something like this.

Today morning I read in the newspaper that a Bangalore school has stipulated dress code for parents who drop their kids to school. They can't wear shorts or night dress anymore.

Ladies wearing night gown on streets has been a common sight since the 90s. It has gone down a lot in Bangalore, but it is still a common sight in villages and small towns.

I am not bothered about guys wearing shorts in public. I prefer pants, and it is a personal choice.

But there is a recent trend that really bothers me. Guys wearing cotton boxer shorts in public. At first it really puzzled me why these guys are wearing only underwear in public. Check the following link to see the item I am talking about.

Welcome To Jockey

Later I found out the reason in an office outing, when I saw one of my junior colleague in boxer shorts.

Me: Hey, why are you in underwear?
He: Huh, I am wearing shorts.
Me: Um, but it is a boxer shorts. It is an underwear, something worn inside pants.
He: Oh!

Basically, lot of guys don't know boxer shorts is an underwear. So they wear it to the mall, dropping kids to school, on long drives, on the streets, etc.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th June 2012 at 08:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks