Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:25   #1
BHPian

Interview Dress Code help

So this is what I am planning to wear for an interview on Friday. This is the best picture I could get from my cell phone cam, and is quite close. The suit looks black, but is deep blue.
Please suggest any changes that would be necessary (colours not matching, too flashy etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Interview Dress Code help-image0046.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2010, 20:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks good man! But IMO, a classic white shirt would suit the tie and suit combo better.

also, good luck for the interview!
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

I guess it entirely depends on the kind of job profile. I won't even show up for the interview if they demand a suit.

Just curious. Does your job profile needs a suit?

Regarding the shirt color, just go with a lighter but creamy solid color. Avoid see through kind thin shirt.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

lol.
recently my friend had a bad experience due to "so called dress code".
he got through the final round in the campus selection for TCS .
The Interviewer (a guy who is barely 1-2 years older than my friend) said directly to my friend, im not interested in any further discussion as you have not followed the dress code(he had worn jeans on sneakers but a full sleeves shirt neatly tucked inside) My friend immediately gave him the finger and walked out. (Because He had already been placed in another company )
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

depends on your job profile. Many in India do not like sophisticated look, or don't care. in any case it's better to dress up than down.

Don't wory much about dress code, but keep personal hygiene and mannerism at a high note.

I personally would prefer a dark tie, light ties are better for parties.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:53   #6
BHPian

@anekho: I was actually thinking of putting on a lighter shade of blue (ice bluish). I have been told the same by my friend. So I would probably go with a lighter shade/
@samurai: Interview is with a consultancy, so a suit is almost mandatory.
@vinaydas: To each his own actually. I just like to be dressed well at work. At my first job, I was always in formals even when most people turned up in jeans. That is just me
I try to keep work and my private life separate though. You'd hardly ever see without a black band t-shirt outside office.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
My friend immediately gave him the finger and walked out.
It seems the TCS guy indeed made the right choice by not selecting your friend. Attitude matters the dressing is one way of identifying it.
When you friend did what he did he just confirmed the TCS guys observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Many in India do not like sophisticated look, or don't care. in any case it's better to dress up than down.
+1 to that man.

@e1t1bet

Light color shirt and tie if you want would be a saner choice as Samurai mentioned.
Unless of course you job/dress code requires you to wear a suit.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

ehhhhh what consultancy? You in financial sector?? And where is this in India or Abroad?
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
It seems the TCS guy indeed made the right choice by not selecting your friend. Attitude matters the dressing is one way of identifying it.
Totally agree. The interviewer would have sensed that the candidate is no more interested in TCS offer and is in for a casual walk-in...

@ e1t1bet, IMO, unless you are a regular suit-wearer you should avoid wearing it for a crucial (I assume) interview, as it will make you more uncomfortable. Instead follow the dress "code" suggested by Samurai etc. You can be almost-formal even without wearing a suit, and it's a Friday.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd March 2010 at 21:10.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am told not to wear dark shirts in interview. It shows dominance and superiority. Light shirts with strips are preferred.
Now above is all theory.

In practical life, the clothes in image are good enough.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

looks good, but a lighter shade for shirt would go better. It might change your tie too. Otherwise it's all good.

And yeah best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
lol.
recently my friend had a bad experience due to "so called dress code".
he got through the final round in the campus selection for TCS .
The Interviewer (a guy who is barely 1-2 years older than my friend) said directly to my friend, im not interested in any further discussion as you have not followed the dress code(he had worn jeans on sneakers but a full sleeves shirt neatly tucked inside) My friend immediately gave him the finger and walked out. (Because He had already been placed in another company )
No hard feelings, but if I were a recruiter I will make it a point that he doesnt get a job again in any of the sister companies either ever again and if I know where he's placed I will share the experience with the recruiters there too.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:25   #12
BHPian

The classic "can't go wrong" combo is usually white/cream shirt, dark tie, and navy blue/dark blue suit/blazer.
However, most companies in India (atleast in software) are ok if you wear formal shirt and trousers.
Make sure that you are comfortable in your get up otherwise your unease will be picked up by the interviewer.
All the best for the interview.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:25   #13
BHPian

Wow, thanks for so many replies.
I will go for a lighter shade, and get an appropriate tie if necessary, like so many have suggested.
@sandeepmdas: I normally feel better and more confident in a suit, so that should be fine
@Jaggu: In India, and general management consultancy.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:27   #14
BHPian

i assume this is for a fresher: campus placement kind of thing.

a light blue or light cream shirt and dark (preferably black) trouser with a matching tie should do. 'm not sure about the blazer though most of the b schools have the dress code.

and now a question: is it fine if some one is sporting a beard (not french cut) - ofcourse neatly trimmed for the interview. i know it is better to play safe but want to know your opinion.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:29   #15
lsp
BHPian

@e1t1bet,
Dress code depends on the job u r applying for. If the job requires you to wear suits and/or a tie then go ahead and wear a suit and/or tie for the interview. I would suggest go with a lighter shade of blue.

Please do not go with a 'Black and White' combo. It's so passé. No offence to people who think it rocks.

Remember that your attire would only make the first impression, which may be the lasting impression but more imp than that is the aptitude and caliber you show for the job.

Good Luck with the interview.

@Vinaydas
I conduct interviews for an IT consultancy company in India and have visited several campuses. I have NEVER come across anyone who wore Jeans to an interview. If a candidate like that walked in then my initial impression would be the same as that of the TCS interviewer, though I wouldn't go to the extent of stopping all conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
+1 to that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks