Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 14:11   #31
JVH
Senior - BHPian

For me the true underdogs have always been the Dutch. Right from Johann Cryuff, Marco Van Basten, Dennis Bergkamp, Ruud Van Nistelroy to now Robbie Van Persie, they have produced some of the most deadly central strikers. Somehow they have failed to deliver the goods in major tournaments. The teams are almost always strong but the final delivery has always been poor. Spain had this dubious reputation until the last world cup.

I hope they prove the critics wrong this time like how Spain did it last time.

My next choices are Italy and then Spain.

What channel is this being aired?
Old 14th May 2010, 14:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

I love Argentina, have been a fan from a long time. And this time Messi may turn around lots of games.And Brazil also occupying the same spot as Argentina and if these two team plays each other I dunno whom I would support. I love their game. Other then them I don't care much who wins. Spain and Netherlands(except for Van der sar, I hate that guy) I kinda like somewhat. I started hating France team after they beat Brazil in that ill fated final.
But I positively hate Italy for their too much defensive game after they score a goal. Most of the time what you'll see is that they'll score and goal and after that all their players become defenders (last time was different though). I also don't like Germany for their too rough kind of game, somehow I feel they are robotic.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Why would you think India would not have a football team? You do live in India right?

We have a team but it does very poorly in qualification although we have qualified for the Asia cup in 2011 after a long time. :s
See you answered the question yourselves. Indian Football team rarely does something that makes to the news. With most non-cricket sports being cash starved, I thought the government might have given up on Football.
Old 15th May 2010, 21:32   #34
BHPian

India sucks donkey balls even at the (extremely) well funded sport as well. sorry for going OT
Old 16th May 2010, 00:40   #35
BHPian

Continuing to be OT - any theories why we suck so badly in football?

IMO, its due to our physical makeup. We simply cannot keep up with the caucasian giants. Ofcourse, go ahead and ask me why the tiny koreans are so good at it then.
I have no answer
Old 16th May 2010, 01:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

IMO, its due to our physical makeup. We simply cannot keep up with the caucasian giants. Ofcourse, go ahead and ask me why the tiny koreans are so good at it then.
I have no answer
If I had to guess, I'd say lack of infrastructure, money and sporting culture in no particular order followed by nutrition
Old 16th May 2010, 02:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

I guess lack of motivation also factors in... Thousands of eyes watching you, expecting you to perform well can bring a sea of change in the way the team plays it's game! If it had a larger fan following they would play better.
Old 16th May 2010, 14:27   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
As other mentioned, infrastructure is an important aspect we just cannot ignore. If we look at how countries such as Korea and even the Chinese have built up their teams, the infrastructure is built right from grassroots level and training programs to nurture talent are launched. We are however more satisfied with just watching EPL on TV.
Old 16th May 2010, 16:56   #39
BHPian

Spain is definitely the team to beat

They've got a good CB partnership in Puyol-Pique(the key is that they play together in club level too;so better understanding)

The midfield partnership of Xavi-Cesc-Iniesta is the best in the world, reinforcing the Barcelona connection

David Villa is in form;torres is struggling due to injury

Then again, if there is any team that has more than enough bench strength, its Spain(Negredo,Pedro,Silva,Mata,...)

Brazil is a strong contender but will retort to boring football by their standards
Dunga, who is known to be defense oriented, hasnt gone for a team that you'd expect from Brazil(in the attacking dept)
Many defender/defensive midfielder options though

As for Argentina, a country that produces world class talent but appoints someone who has ego probs with half of the best players and poor tactics as their coach
Old 16th May 2010, 20:38   #40
BANNED

GERMANY!!! GERMANY!!!

Mods: We need a poll.
Old 16th May 2010, 21:07   #41
BHPian

I'm rooting for Argentina, they are going to grab it this time
Old 16th May 2010, 22:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Braziillllll....la la la la la la la la...Brazil

I hate Argentina (pun intended).....Thay struggled to even get in to the finals. But that Messi play some good football.

I used to be a big fan of midfielder Carlos Valderrama of Colombia. Look at my Avtar, it's a Colombian flag. Later I found some other reasons to like Colombia, and that's a top secret.[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
Old 16th May 2010, 22:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Braziillllll....la la la la la la la la...Brazil

I hate Argentina (pun intended).....Thay struggled to even get in to the finals. But that Messi play some good football.

I used to be a big fan of midfielder Carlos Valderrama of Colombia. Look at my Avtar, it's a Colombian flag. Later I found some other reasons to like Colombia, and that's a top secret.
Where's the pun?

<20 characters>
Old 16th May 2010, 23:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Where's the pun?

<20 characters>
There was some, but removed it because I did not want to start a key board war in this thread. You were too fast to catch that!!

Again.. Brazil...la la la la la la la la.....Brazil....

Sad thing is that there are not many Football fans in our country (leaving Kerala, Goa, WB and north eastern states).
Old 17th May 2010, 02:56   #45
BHPian

The simple reason for Indian Football Failure is, IMO, that no one cares, neither the people, nor the government.

Me too rooting for Brazil. 'la la la la la la la la la'
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks