Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 18:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This has been a myth for long. There was no money to send them to Brazil forget the shoes.

And Indian team used to play barefoot, they werent used to playing with shoes. But that was secondary.
Thank you for correcting me. But any way I still feel its an example of serious neglect of the sports in the country.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:33   #62
BHPian

@SpruceGoose, I think you mean the Durand Cup?

taureanBull, yeah Egypt must indeed be with very mixed emotions. Champions of Africa and so close to qualifying for the WC. They had to play their final play-off against rivals Algeria in neutral venue (Sudan). They indeed have a good team.

As for India and rankings? India has been languishing in the 140-150 zone for ages, seems like they have improved slightly but eventually like all statistics rankings are just that. Just a pointer to how a team is playing currently and not gospel as each tournament brings along different challenges let alone each match.

Very excited for the cup though, I seem to have too much work thesedays though. But probably will not miss a single game (and have not missed many since Italia 1990)
And I know many people who are not football freaks/anoraks like me but still will be watching the world cup - the best and biggest thing world sport has to offer.

TaureanBull -
"Else, Egypt is a football loving nation. People love football like we do cricket".

That is probably true for most countries though apart from the Indian sub-continent and USA
Old 10th June 2010, 23:01   #63
BANNED

Helllp, which channel is telecasting the opening ceremony about to happen now live?
Old 10th June 2010, 23:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Its on AXN , i guess.
Old 11th June 2010, 03:44   #65
BHPian

Hmm. The Indian economy had been non-existent post 1947. They were still budding in 1950s. So they probably had more pressing issues on their minds than 11 men chasing a ball.

It's nowhere near as despicable as the fact that in 2010, when Indian economy is giant, players of some sport did not have equipment and they had to buy it with charity money in England. (Or was it Canada ? )
Old 11th June 2010, 12:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
ESPN/Star Sports

brazillllllll la la la la la la la.......brazil
I too was like Brazil lalalal till i heard that dunga has taken over as coach. I hated that guy in 1990 and 1994. If it was not for romario and bebetto, brazil would have been nowhere, with dunga and pereirra preferring the stupid defensive game.
I dont want brazil to win and since i want latin american football to win, i root for argentina this time. HAIL MARADONA (at least i hope doesnt botch up the teams chances)

And under no circumstances would i like the english to win - if it happens, they would be hailed as the best team ever to play the world cup by the english press, all others would be called morons. Just as Beckham was so over-inflated, until getting deflated by a not so popular Roberto Carlos in the match between Real Madrid and Man U. Man!! that was a match to watch just for the way Roberto Carlos hoodwinked Beckham
Old 11th June 2010, 13:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Anybody from Kolkata? howz the scene there for the game? Are the showing in cafes and all on big screens?

I have a holiday today (here holidays on Thursday and Friday) and done all possible work to avoid any kind of interference.

Whats the plan rest of the guy?
Old 11th June 2010, 13:48   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
@SpruceGoose, I think you mean the Durand Cup?
Yup thats it [i think]. Was it renamed to the Nehru Cup or the Federation Cup or something like that?
Old 11th June 2010, 15:25   #69
BHPian

The mention of Brazil still makes me go all weak, as though with my first girl. The fluidity of their play is mesmerising. The only team I have seen play like that was Arsenal in the famous year (2006?) when they won the EPL with Thierry.
My family has stockpiled chips and snacks, and we will need a new couch by the end of the WC.
Old 11th June 2010, 15:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that ^^.
But this time Brazil will have it real tough, with Portugal and Spain in the same group. Its gonna be a real test of skill, stamina and goodluck.
Old 11th June 2010, 15:48   #71
BHPian

For all the guys saying Brasil fluidity this and that - sorry but that mantle has been taken over by Spain - of the beautiful passing game the tiki-taka as the spanish call it.
Unfortunately this Brasil (and like mallumowgli said earlier) of the '94 variety is more about robust defending with 2 defensive midfielders and very quick counter-attacking football.

Not pretty but effective. of course when you have strikers like Luis Fabiano and support strikers like Kaka and Robinho you do not lack goals - only the game is played very differently to what it was for Brasil right up to 1986 or even 1990 world cups.
Carlos Alberto Parreira, Scolari and now Dunga all take the blame for turning joga bonito (beautiful game) into "boring but deadly" since they always had great strikers to score whatever little chances they created on the counter (Ronaldo, Romario, Bebeto, Adriano etc)
Old 11th June 2010, 15:56   #72
BANNED

Brazil BOO BOO.

Go Germany Go.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:05   #73
BHPian

+1 to that SpitFire
I support Germany too..
Old 11th June 2010, 16:09   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
For all the guys saying Brasil fluidity this and that - sorry but that mantle has been taken over by Spain - of the beautiful passing game the tiki-taka as the spanish call it.
Unfortunately this Brasil (and like mallumowgli said earlier) of the '94 variety is more about robust defending with 2 defensive midfielders and very quick counter-attacking football.
Very much the Italian style of play - depending on swift counter attacks.
I really loved the way Spain played in the Euro cup.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

I was speaking to my friend in hometown (Kannur Kerala), he said country flags and posters are already up an all parts of the town wishing their favourite teams. This is one good thing I like, pure sports passion/spirit. You dont see similar things during cricket world cup. Most of the people support Brazil/Argentina. Brazil is my fav but dont mind if Spain wins it.

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th June 2010 at 16:12.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed