Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 15:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Ambattur IE is a terrible place during rains. My car is fine ravi, just the floor is wet & stinking, have to give it a thorough cleaning. My amp would have gone though.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need to travel to Chennai on Monday- I will be staying at teh Accord Metropolitan in Gn Chetty Road. How is this area in terms of flooding- any problems there that I need to keep in mind?
Old 26th November 2008, 16:08   #33
BANNED

G N Chetty Road has always been a prime example of flooding in Madras. I wonder if they ever built those promised storm water drains.

There is flyover construction happening at the junction of G N Chetty Road, Dr. Nair Road and Tirumalai Pillai Road - expect a mess.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Guys, I need to travel to Chennai on Monday- I will be staying at teh Accord Metropolitan in Gn Chetty Road. How is this area in terms of flooding- any problems there that I need to keep in mind?
As hrag mentioned, that area is known for flooding. Add the flyover construction and it would be a mess.

BTW, how long are you here ? If possible we could have a small meet with you as the 'cheap guest'.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
G N Chetty Road has always been a prime example of flooding in Madras. I wonder if they ever built those promised storm water drains.

There is flyover construction happening at the junction of G N Chetty Road, Dr. Nair Road and Tirumalai Pillai Road - expect a mess.
yeah today i came through that road only and water reached top of the silencer of my bike which is pretty high, thank god i didn't came in car ...... there was no car in that stretch, and flyover construction is making the condition worst .....

Last edited by Rahulkool : 26th November 2008 at 16:16.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GN Chetty Road is notorious for its flooding. How will you be travelling ? If it will be in a rented car, then ask for a qualis/safari/scorpio.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Today's status after overnight rains :

Nelson Manickam road, Nungambakkam subway etc is OK.

Sterling road has water at the sides near pavement, but no potholes on that road (yet). So if you want you can breeze through, though most drivers stick to the median. I drove through the water a la PTC buses, as I like driving thru water - ofcourse making sure not to drench any pedestrians.

Good quantity of water on Turnbulls road, just when you enter the road from Cenotaph road. And the most water was on Kotturpuram road, just after Birla Planetarium till you touch Sardar patel road.

The IT corridor was a breeze as usual - no water there, atleast towards Thoraipakkam.

I am seriously worried about what will happen to Chennai if it rains like this for few more days.

The good side was no traffic snarls yesterday morning/evening and today morning. Infact I reached office much faster than I normally do. Guess its got something to do with the holiday declared for schools for yesterday and today.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th November 2008 at 09:22.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:36   #38
BHPian

Ok need updates on this route again.

Thirumangalam-Koyambedu-Vadapalani-Ashokpillar-CIT nagar-Saidapet-Madhyakailas-Tidel-Perungudi

Sun news showed that the roads near Koyambedu are completely flooded , so a bit wary of going to office today.

John, How is the situation near Koyambedu?
Old 27th November 2008, 10:51   #39
BHPian

In all these years, no cyclone has ever crossed the coast of chennai (Madras) till now. It is unlikely to happen anytime. You know the worst thing ? Madras Weather Bureau is pathetic in its forecasts. You have to check CNN weather to know your city's weather situation accurately.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Manu you could take this route if you are scared to do the Koyambedu stretch.

Mogappair - Tirumangalam - K4 Police Station - Chintamani - Shenoy Nagar - Harrington Road - Take the U turn above the subway come to Nelson Manickam Road - Subway - reach Valluvar Kottam via the Mahalingapuram road - Habibullah Road - GN Chetty Road (take a U Turn) - North Boag Road - Residency Towers - onto Mount Road then either go all the way to Saidapet or take a left at Nandanam and then onto Kotturpuram
Old 27th November 2008, 11:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Manu you could take this route if you are scared to do the Koyambedu stretch.

Mogappair - Tirumangalam - K4 Police Station - Chintamani - Shenoy Nagar - Harrington Road - Take the U turn above the subway come to Nelson Manickam Road - Subway - reach Valluvar Kottam via the Mahalingapuram road - Habibullah Road - GN Chetty Road (take a U Turn) - North Boag Road - Residency Towers - onto Mount Road then either go all the way to Saidapet or take a left at Nandanam and then onto Kotturpuram
Thanks Srikanth. I am planning to go by bus today , don't want to risk driving in this condition.

Habibullah road is flooded heavily near the GNchetty road junction. I take this route while coming back home in the night. Same with the Vijayaraghava road junction (near Karaikudi restaurant).
Old 27th November 2008, 11:37   #42
BHPian

Whole of vinobaji street is flooded and so on upto Gandhi road. Even Nelson Manickam road. Damn... Not able to get out.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage
Whole of vinobaji street is flooded and so on upto Gandhi road. Even Nelson Manickam road. Damn... Not able to get out.
Nothing suprising about Vinobaji road - gets flooded every year, with level of water so high that it enters the homes on the street. Have a friend who lives on that street and by now, it is a yearly ritual for them to evacuate to the 1st floor during monsoons and then clean up the ground floor after rains are gone. Not a good place to stay in at Choolaimedu.

Gandhi road is actually better now since they laid the road a few months ago. Before that it was just like a waterway during the rains.

But Nelson Manickam road is flooded ? Where ? I took that road today morning to work and while there was some water near the pavement, it was nothing serious.
Old 27th November 2008, 13:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Like otehr are saying the area is prone to floods. However my experience is one day of no rains is enough for normalcy to return (ofcourse the tar roads would have gone with the water)

Thiyags
Old 27th November 2008, 16:31   #45
BHPian

SIET college Road, Teynampet.

Yes, I did get some dirty looks for trying to shoot pics while driving in these conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
OLD THREAD : Chennai flooded-dsc00424.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks