Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find TOI offensive/embarassing?
Yes 125 70.62%
No 42 23.73%
No Comment 10 5.65%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 01:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Wrong!
There was a tbhpian's post that said he is re-considering Polo and may go for Alto K10

So, Alto's are not always bought by the poorest guys.
Just by people with different set of requirements. To each his own, as they say.
The original comparison was with Alto to the best Indian car. Choosing Alto against Polo is not same as choosing Alto against the best Indian car. I didn't say that Alto is bought by the poorest, but then again, anyone who could afford a Merc wouldn't buy an Alto would he?

Btw, please don't ask me which is the best Indian car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Don't know how my kids going to to handle this.
Don't worry, kids will handle. They get exposed to far more on TV and Internet. Its you who should learn how to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P180V1 View Post
I read TOI daily, but yes their priorities for the Front page Headlines seem to be going wrong somewhere G D
+1000
I wonder how Narayan Murthy's Daughter's college admission is front page news. The bottom half of the front page seems to be dedicated to irrelavant content. And I hate when they give full front page ads. Even worse are the days with a quarter sized front page ad, very difficult to even hold and flip pages.

I don't love TOI either but I don't find it offensive/embarrassing. They sell because that's what people want. We Indians make big claim about our culture and stuff but we are leading the population race for a reason. I work for a internet company and I know what people click and what they don't. You put a good article and it looks as if no-one is interested.

Last edited by Jaguar : 7th August 2010 at 01:20.
Old 7th August 2010, 03:28   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

This, from The Hindu, is embarrassing. Deeply embarrassing.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:41   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Thanks for enlightening me on this but you can make out it is still not what is preferred by mass number of readers in India.
The masses prefer it not because of it's layout but for it's populist content/pictures.

That is exactly the same reason why regional language dailies are growing at a pace which nobody ever expected, whereas english dailies are declining.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:06   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

My gripe with ToI is that they have sold out to the PR groups of various companies and this comes out in the form of bias in their reporting.

To quote an example,as per DGCA records, Kingfisher Airlines had 16 life-threatening incidents the past year, ranging from runway run-off's to tailstrikes and onboard fires due to carrying illegal chemicals in cargo: the highest among all airlines in India. This should make them one of the least safe airlines out there. But None of these incidents were reported. But the smallest incident like a 30 minute delay on air india gets on the front page!
That seems to be basically the crux of the problem. From what I have heard the Bombay/Bangalore/local times tabloid supplements are completely on a pay and we publish basis.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:15   #125
oss
BHPian

ToI has become a tabloid now - Period.
Old 7th August 2010, 16:43   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This, from The Hindu, is embarrassing. Deeply embarrassing.
The said page has an article on a carnatic music concert performed by Ms.Sudha Raghunathan, an well-known singer. What's embarrassing about it?
Old 7th August 2010, 19:02   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

The language. Whilst the words used are high-flying, the grammar and the punctuation is awful. As to the sentence structure; there isn't any. The fact that it pretends to be educated, and about an art subject, just makes the nonsense even worse. It is probably the most dreadful example of such writing I have ever seen.

Show it to any English teacher, even a primary-school teacher, and they will blush.

But yes, it is a different sort of embarrassment to the thread topic: maybe it should be shifted to Sam's English-language thread.

I didn't spot it: forummates at rasikas.org did, posting it as an example of what's wrong with "criticism".
Old 7th August 2010, 20:02   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hardly any news. Mostly PR arcticles in disguise!

Nowadays, newspapers are filled with nothing but PR articles which are made to appear like news articles. And people don't even realise this!

Last edited by Jayabusa : 7th August 2010 at 20:05.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:00   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

How about women at ease buying their favorite drink at a neighbourhood mall/outlet?? This is front page news for today's Bangalore TOI edition!!!
Old 9th August 2010, 10:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
How about women at ease buying their favorite drink at a neighbourhood mall/outlet?? This is front page news for today's Bangalore TOI edition!!!
Not to forget the 30% share they hold

Good improvement. i am sure they will reach 50-50 soon.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:29   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Such articles & the ones on latest trends & those on more & more women want to have casual sex etc. are nothing but attempts to promote herd mentality.
They just want people to read & feel that "oh! I'm probably the only one who isn't into the latest trend." & spark off a new trend. But I feel they fail miserably at it.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:42   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Such articles & the ones on latest trends & those on more & more women want to have casual sex etc. are nothing but attempts to promote herd mentality.
They just want people to read & feel that "oh! I'm probably the only one who isn't into the latest trend." & spark off a new trend. But I feel they fail miserably at it.
How true and TOI is best at doing that. One step ahead, they have gone further in continuing this report on another page further inside!

Another thing with TOI is the "First of its kind in India" reporting (to promote the city/state) when there would've been numerous such instances of new innovations elsewhere in the country. To me, it only shows their lack of being well informed and their complacency in being misinformed. This also gives a wrong (or probably right) feeling amongst the 'herd' that they are the privileged few to be a part of that famous lot to experience it living in that XYZ city, thus giving rise to a 'Frog in a well' syndrome.
Old 10th August 2010, 11:14   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm gonna go against the tide here and say that I love TOI! I find them the best when it comes to reporting on current affairs. Maybe its just a matter of getting used to something, but TOI keeps me updated on all that I need to know on a daily basis. In addition, I think Eco Times is the best business newspaper.

On the flip side, I hate TOI's proof-reading. Whoever does it should be fired. The grammar & overall language standards are awful. Way too many glaring errors. I don't like their sensationalist style of reporting either (Model who commits suicide is on the front page!!!). And I hate the TOI supplements (Bombay Times, Zigwheels etc. etc.). All of them read like press releases.

For now though, I'm going to stick it out with TOI. Can't have breakfast without it.
Old 10th August 2010, 11:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

TOI is mostly a mouthpiece of the congress party. For real unbiased news Indian Express is way better. Also nowadays TOI is full of advs, so its become more of a an adv paper than a news paper. Not to mention you can buy entire supplements and news if you have the financial muscle to carry your news. A very good example would be the Real Estate supplements sponsored by major developers where the only news is how rapid the real estate growth is.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:23   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Not to mention you can buy entire supplements and news if you have the financial muscle to carry your news. A very good example would be the Real Estate supplements sponsored by major developers where the only news is how rapid the real estate growth is.
This nexus between corrupt and unfair real estate developers and media owners is destroying many middle class people.

They invest their life savings into these so called 'upcoming world class cities/ projects' and get sucked into an unending wait.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks