Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 20:10   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I came to Bangalore in the early 80s and lived in Palace Guttahalli and used to go for my computer classes in Dickenson Road near MG Road.
Let me take a wild guess, The Computer Point?
Old 24th August 2010, 20:20   #62
BHPian

Though I am not a resident of Bangalore, but incidently I am also one of the witness who has seen the city changing. I did my MBBS from Tumkur and Before pursuing my degree I had to visit the city often. How can I forget that Wonderful Weather, the Greenery around road, Little traffic. But when I started my degree in 2001, it all started changing. There was scorching heat all around and lines of traffic to make the matter worse. There was and Wooden Movie Theater on MG road(forgot the name), that was also destructed, where I have a lot of my memories. the year I was coming back, it was only 1% of the city what I have earlier seen. I miss my old Bangalore (and that theater too).
Old 24th August 2010, 23:13   #63
Senior - BHPian

Talking of traffic and one-ways, I remember the bus route 18 from Jayanagar 9th block to Majestic did to & fro journey on almost the same road, with JC Road, KG Road being two-ways. Quite un-thinkable today.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Regarding the climate, I don't think its changed much except for a couple of weeks during summer. The lack of trees (especially in new areas) and pollution being the main concern.
I was amazed at how hot B'lore was in the month of June. Never felt the humidity this bad!

Another thing I distinctly remember was getting directions from people, when visiting a new part of town. Invariably, we'd stop next to an elderly person and find out how to get to a certain address. 98% of the time, in impeccable English we'd get directions worthy of a GPS system. Including, terms like turn left after a 'furlong', etc. Haven't heard that in ages!

I guess for a handful of folks, rock shows were the best things to happen! With a few friends, Guru Nanak bhavan, Ravindra Kalakshtra etc were the places to be. Still remember going for a TAAQ concert sometime in 2001, sitting in the pouring rain for 2-3 hrs, and then going to Fanoos for rolls ( plus Fosters, to go with it). All this on a Saturday night, and life wouldn't have gotten any better!
Old 25th August 2010, 08:40   #65
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Let me take a wild guess, The Computer Point?
No.. Computer point was not there at that time. It was called ETC.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:06   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
There use to be Rock Shows every Sunday at Cubbon Park, Does it still Happen? .
In the 90s wannabe rock bands used to perform at the verandah behind Mayo hall and a small crowd of youngsters sitting on the open gallery used to enjoy it on weekends.
'Thermal & a Quarter' was one among them.
Today they have grown into one of India's best rock bands.

Anybody remember the bangalore rock band 'Millenium' comprised mostly of expat medical students? They were the first Indian band to be featured in MTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
There was and Wooden Movie Theater on MG road(forgot the name), that was also destructed, where I have a lot of my memories. the year I was coming back, it was only 1% of the city what I have earlier seen. I miss my old Bangalore (and that theater too).
It was the PLAZA. i saw most of the english movies there.
Cute theatre. had an european feel to it.

Last edited by Daewood : 25th August 2010 at 11:08.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:22   #67
Team-BHP Support

Does the Independence jam still happen. I attended one around 2001-2002 timeframe , and police came in. The villagers intervened, and event continued till 2am(they used to take 10 rs from each participant)
It was Bangalore's very own Woodstock
Old 25th August 2010, 12:07   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Things about Bangalore I miss:
- The unique "cold drinks" the city had- I remember Torino, an orange flavoured soda, quite vividly! No Thums Up,Gold Spot and the otehr stuff that us Bombayites were used to!
- The handlebar rides with my older cousins on their bicycles, later Bajaj scooters, through the wonderful up-and-down roads of Malleshwaram. We used to reach "Majestic" in a matter of minutes.
- 50 paisa masala dosa. And yes it was delicious!
-Driving from my office on Bannerghata Road to Brigade for a pint after work, reaching in 20 minutes, finding parking close by and having a wonderful time!
Old 25th August 2010, 13:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Things about Bangalore I miss:

50 paisa masala dosa! what year was this?
The last I remember was Rs. 4.50, during the year 1994 in some of the 'darshinis'

I guess all is not lost. The old word charm still exists in some areas of Jayanagar, Banashankari, Malleshwaram etc. Isn't it great we still have Cubbon Park and Lalbagh almost untouched over so many years!
Old 25th August 2010, 14:49   #70
BHPian

You can cross out Malleswaram from that list, thanks to the new Mantri mall!
Old 25th August 2010, 19:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

My memory of Bangalore is not very old, just 10 years old. But I can still feel the difference, the huge difference between now and then. When we first stayed near Kemp Fort I had to daily travel to JP Nagar to attend office and even though I used the Bus for commuting, it used to take hardly 45min to 1 hour max, so less was the traffic. We used to go to Inner Ring Road in the evening to see flights landing on the old Airport road and sometimes go to ORR to drive our bikes at full speed as it would be empty all the time. We even used to walk from Brigade road to our home(when we stayed at VivekNagar) after a evening show at Galaxy or Rex or Symphony. Nowadays I don't even think about going towards Brigade Road.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:38   #72
BHPian

Oh that old Bangalore, I grew up pretty much in Bangalore and i have seen it change so drastically. But the things i reminisce is the cool weather, the greenery all around and of course less traffic. Oh almost forgot that lovely stretch of MG Road too.

I also loved my school , Such a big campus filled with a lot of trees , HUGE playgrounds , and lots of fresh air. Now its got a more modern look and absolutely no trees.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:05   #73
BHPian

if you need a bit of the old bangalore, do make it to gandhi bazaar, it still very old school/
Old 26th August 2010, 01:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgic Thread indeed.

time 2002-03: I remember driving very fast on my bike at 7-8PM from Koramangala to Indiranagar. There were hardly any traffic.
Mysore Road was 2 laned. I rode to Big Banyan tree by bike then. It was fun.
Was fortunate to bike Nandi Hills when NH7 was 2 laned. Gone are those days :-(

Outer RR was a speedo test for the bikes in the weekends. And it was fun. Infact we avoided ORR after dark because it used to get very isolated. look at now...buildings, Malls, traffic all flock that place.
Old 26th August 2010, 05:10   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wow, when and where was that. The lowest I remember was in my PUC days when it was Rs4 in the college canteen. Speaking of which, coffee was less than Rs1.00, we were sneaking in steel cups filled with coffee, in our baggy pants into the classroom. Those baggy pants had generous pockets. (I am sure my body resembled a 1" water pipe wearing loose pants, stuck with the face of a 7-up Fido dido). That coffee on cold rainy day, that was sneaked into the english class, that was hid under the desk, and shared with a bunch of trouble makers is undoubtedly the best coffee I have ever had and will ever have in my life.

Last edited by prasadee : 26th August 2010 at 05:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks