Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 21:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
That coffee on cold rainy day, that was sneaked into the english class, that was hid under the desk, and shared with a bunch of trouble makers is undoubtedly the best coffee I have ever had and will ever have in my life.
Now that's a first! Haven't heard of anyone sneaking in coffee into a classroom. Food, oh yes, all the time. Anything from peanuts, to burgers et al.
If I may ask, which college did you attend, Prasad?
Old 7th April 2012, 01:43   #77
BHPian

Re: Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?

After an extensive search for related threads on the forum, I finally found this thread. It gives me immense pleasure in sharing some of the lovely pictures of our very own Bangalore or is it Bengaluru ?.

The pictures speak for themselves of a story of a city which has evolved several folds. Love those lines in the Nissan Micra ad "na woh din wapas ayenge, na wo khali sadken." Change is inevitable in any walk of life.

Here it goes:

EDIT: Sorry guys, after trying unsuccessfully to add a title to each photo, I am posting the titles in a list format. Please bear with me.
  1. 1900 Fort and Old City Kalasipalya
  2. Airport
  3. Akkithimmanahalli tank
  4. Avenue Road
  5. Baarish movie poster
  6. Bangalore Central College
  7. Bangalore Club
  8. Bangalore map
  9. Bellandur tank
  10. Bowring and Lady Curzon Hospital
  11. 1900 Fort and Old City Kalasipalya
  12. Brigade Road
  13. BRV Talkies
  14. Central Majestic Bus Stand
  15. Chickpet Cottonpet
  16. City Fort Near KR Market
  17. Commercial Street
  18. Lalbagh
  19. Liberty Theatre
  20. LIC St Marks Road
  21. MG road circle
  22. Palace Grounds
  23. Patricks Church
  24. Town Hall
Attached Thumbnails
Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-1900-fort-old-city-kalasipalya.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-airport.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-akkithimmanahalli-tank.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-avenue-road.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-baarish-movie-poster.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-bangalore-central-college.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-bangalore-club.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-bangalore-map.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-bellandur-tank.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-bowring-lady-curzon-hospital.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-1900-fort-old-city-kalasipalya.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-brigade-road.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-brv-talkies.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-central-majestic-bus-stand.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-chickpet-cottonpet.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-city-fort-near-kr-market.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-commercial-street.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-lalbahg.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-liberty-theatre.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-lic-st-marks-road.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-mg-road-circle.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-palace-grounds.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-patricks-church.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-town-hall.jpg  

Last edited by HorsPwr : 7th April 2012 at 01:56. Reason: failure to add titles to each photo
Old 7th April 2012, 10:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
After an extensive search for related threads on the forum, I finally found this thread. It gives me immense pleasure in sharing some of the lovely pictures of our very own Bangalore or is it Bengaluru ?.
Thanks Horspwr for bumping up this thread. The pictures are really something. It really is hard to imagine Bangalore like in the pictures after seeing the condition of the city today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Late 70's When my uncle retired & built a house at a place called West of Chord road ( Now Bhasaweshwar Nagar) it was Heaven. Now,its hell with the traffic, dust, & pollution.
My grand parents lived in Chamarajapet and the brother of my grandmother had a farmhouse on Chord Road. Now, that farmhouse has become their main house. That location was called Shivanahalli (now Shivanagar). Then my grandparents too moved into the newly formed locality of 'Rajajinagar' which was a wasteland (it seems a garbage dump existed here) between Kethmaranahalli and Juganahalli villages.

Basaveshwaranagar (still called West of Chord road area) was still a very good place to stay till the early 2000s when rampant commercialization took place. Now it is very crowded.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 7th April 2012 at 10:42.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:00   #79
BHPian

Oh Bangalore.
It was a heaven back then.
Such an awesome place to live in.
I get so pissed of with the greedy politicians, who sold off the city to huge software companies who brought in more and more and more population into the city.
Once the crowd started increasing the city lost all its charm.

Bangalore used to be such a cool place in all characters of weather, people, lifestyle, attitude and I saw it change in front of my eyes.

Now its just a crowded chaotic city like any other over populated, unplanned Indian city. The nature is little forgiving and brings in some coldness but how long?

Come on people control population. Don't let only good cities die.
Once it was called the Retirement city.

The city brings so much memories no tear can express how wasted its become.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Once it was called the Retirement city.
Pensioner's Paradise is the term that I have heard being used most often.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

I think most cities in India would have looked like this. The wide expanse of land around old architecture still exists in some places in Mysuru.

The problem is although Bengaluru has a burgeoning population, there are very few people who think its their town. Everyone's here to make a living and no one cares other than passing bad comments about the city.

The new areas are so unplanned and un-green, there seems to have been a pause in thinking completely (so much for new knowledge based city).

The city was not originally green (if you read about English travellers from early 1900s). It was made green. So, nothing is impossible, it can again become a pleasant city (the weather is still).
Old 7th April 2012, 16:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

last 12years us when most of the damage was done, i think now the city is heading to diassater. still the dump politicians and the greedy real estate folks have not realized but am sure soon they will but it may be to late then!

Offlate all political leaders "thumb line is "development" we all can get an idea what that means by looking at Bangalore!
Old 9th April 2012, 08:33   #83
BHPian

It's staggering the rate of change that Bangalore has undergone over the years. I left for college roughly 4 years back and I notice a massive change even during that time! At that point I kept telling my folks, whatever happens I'll always come back to Bangalore. Yeah it wasn't the same city from the 90's from I almost feel alienated coming back to the city now. How you have changed Bangalore :(
Old 9th April 2012, 10:48   #84
Senior - BHPian

Its very obvious to why good old Bangalore is getting ruined , and that is rapid development because of the huge influx of people from all over.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Its very obvious to why good old Bangalore is getting ruined , and that is rapid development because of the huge influx of people from all over.
I would not blame the influx of people for Bangalore's state today. I would blame it on the unplanned approach being taken towards the city's development.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:31   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I would not blame the influx of people for Bangalore's state today. I would blame it on the unplanned approach being taken towards the city's development.
+1 to Vikram. Any major city is going to grow. Whether the city gets ruined or is capable of coping up with the growth depends on planning done by the city's govt bodies.

If any city were to get ruined by huge influx of people then Singapore should be the worst affected of all. By now the city/country should have been the pits.

Also the reason for influx of people is the attraction from corporates like Infosys/Wipro and others and not the city itself. These are companies based in Bangalore that have their roots here and are attracting people from elsewhere.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
+1 to Vikram. Any major city is going to grow. Whether the city gets ruined or is capable of coping up with the growth depends on planning done by the city's govt bodies.

If any city were to get ruined by huge influx of people then Singapore should be the worst affected of all. By now the city/country should have been the pits.

Also the reason for influx of people is the attraction from corporates like Infosys/Wipro and others and not the city itself. These are companies based in Bangalore that have their roots here and are attracting people from elsewhere.
I would disagree .
consider a 70 seater bus , when there are 70 people sitting in the bus , its quite comfortable. But when the number touches 90-100 then it becomes quite unpleasant.

The would like to rephrase my previous statement . Corporations killed old Bangalore :(
Old 9th April 2012, 13:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would disagree .
consider a 70 seater bus , when there are 70 people sitting in the bus , its quite comfortable. But when the number touches 90-100 then it becomes quite unpleasant.
True, but Bangalore is not a bus with fixed seating capacity. It is a city which unlike the bus can be expanded in a well planned and scientific manner. Do that and you can wave goodbye to all major Bangalore problems. In my opinion this is where we have failed. Bangalore has grown like crazy without any planning. The government is planning new localitites without even providing them basic amenities like good drinking water and sewage.

I have lived in Bangalore since the day I was born and that was 37 odd years ago and I still love this city. In my opinion we have the best people living here when compared to any other city that I have visited. Yes, we do have our fair share of rotten tomatoes also, but show me one city which does not.

Also show me one problem that is unique to Bangalore and not to any other developing city in the world. If I remember correctly, it was the fastest growing city in Asia (or was it the world?) some time back.

Last edited by vikram_d : 9th April 2012 at 13:07.
Old 9th April 2012, 13:15   #89
BHPian

I really love my old Bangalore. I remember those days during my childhood, my Bangalore was full of trees on both sides of the road . Even during summer it never was this hot . People were good, children were cute and innocent . Prices were reasonable. Buying a car or two wheeler was something special . Constructing an house was something really great . No very big corporates. No population, no pollution. People were cultured .

Indeed I agree with many. Bangalore is ruined because of these corporates only . But what is the other option . A country has to grow and once it grows all these are inherent things .

I feel that the government is not capable of providing any basic amenities to the citizens . The politicians are busy fighting for their chairs . They have no time to care for the people . The corporates are also least bothered to contribute anything to the society . They keep on complaining on the government for infrastructure facilities when they themselves are capable of doing anything.

Last edited by rki2007 : 9th April 2012 at 13:24.
Old 9th April 2012, 13:54   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would disagree .
Doesn’t every other city face similar kind of a problem? Population growth is inevitable, in places like Tokyo, there are professional pushers to pack people into the trains during rush hour.

Vid mentioned a good example of Singapore above. As someone living here for 10+ years, I can see how the City has changed here. The difference IMHO (compared to Bangalore) is in vision, forward thinking and planning.

I have lived in Bangalore for two and half years (1998 – 2000). And again got a chance to stay there for a week in year 2010. The City had grown so much in past 10 years. The outskirts which used to be villages were transformed into new residential ‘layouts’. But the problem I noticed is that the City has spreadout, but the concentration points have not changed, effectively choking the heart of the city. And the whole city wore an under construction look.

That said, when we did a trip down the memory lane, those by-lanes in Indira Nagar still had the old world charm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks