Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 19:14   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nitin, pls share the pics if you find them ..
Quote:
lohithrao : Used to like the HAL buses which looked, blue and off white was the combo..
Yes, those busses from HAL / ITI / BEL etc .. Some of them ran for a long long time before they were scrapped recently.

Sometime last month - found a whiff of fog/mist in our area .. brought back old memories when the whole city used to be enveloped in it on winter mornings.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

The Minx Square, Queens road. One of its kind.

Hope you guys know how it looks now cos of Metro Rail work. The aircraft is now in front of Museum and road widening is about to start on Kasturba road. So I guess it will be shifted again. :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-dsc08458.jpg  

Oh!Where have you gone my old Bangalore?-dsc08460.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 20th August 2010 at 19:28.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:36   #33
BHPian

Back in 1985/86 I used to ride my Yezdi from HAL to brigade road without having to stop for a traffic light. Back than Marathalli was on the periphery of Bangalore & whitefield was another town !!

Do any of you remember the smart traffic cops in blue & white with the tall british style hats ? The traffic cops knew how to direct traffic with standard signals very different than the cops of today who just use a casual wave.
Old 20th August 2010, 23:39   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
getting the first seat in top deck of the double-deckers. ..
This is the best thing ever, this was a dream. It came true just a few times, but when it did, always pretended to be the driver, and had a blast.
Old 20th August 2010, 23:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

I used to travel through Richmond circle and Cubbon park. There were still huge trees at the corner of Kanteerava stadium facing Mallya Hospital. You could feel the chill in air start from there and increase into Cubbon park.
I ride pillion sometimes now and still feel the coolness during morning and evening. During winter it feels very cold. Only now though we travel in cars and are cutoff from that feel

Last edited by srishiva : 20th August 2010 at 23:54.
Old 21st August 2010, 00:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
This is the best thing ever, this was a dream. It came true just a few times, but when it did, always pretended to be the driver, and had a blast.
Brought back some memories, Prasad! We'd do the same as kids, and loved every bit of facing the wind while seated on the top floor.
Had a nasty experience once, where the bus driver didn't judge the height of the trees above a bus stop, and some twigs came right through the window and hit me and a friend on the face, as we were looking down at that time trying to figure out some math problems! After that, I doubt if I ever sat in the front rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I used to travel through Richmond circle and Cubbon park. There were still huge trees at the corner of Kanteerava stadium facing Mallya Hospital. You could feel the chill in air start from there and increase into Cubbon park.
I ride pillion sometimes now and still feel the coolness during morning and evening. During winter it feels very cold. Only now though we travel in cars and are cutoff from that feel
Still remember how my brother and I'd go to Cubbon park every Sunday morning for our Karate practice, and we'd have goose-bumps by the time we complete this stretch in the wee hours of the day.
Old 21st August 2010, 00:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good Old Bangalore ..

So many memories .. the city bus stand that was on the road along Shantala silks. And the current bus stand being a fair ground. I remember seeing a circus running there.
The circus was near the railway bridge in Okalipuram. IIRC, the name of the circus was Venus Circus and it was burnt down. Is this the same circus you are talking about?

AFAIK, the Dharmambudhi tank was cleared just to construct the bus stand.

Quote:
Even later .. travelling to school from Rajajinagar to Indiranagar. One particular day took Route 62 .. and guess the time it took ? about 25 minutes. I still cant figure out how !
Even today, there is a remnant of that bus route. A bus no 62B plies from Basaveshwaranagar to Domlur. But god knows how long it takes in today's traffic condition to complete the journey.

Quote:
Bangalore used to have a drive-in theatre. But I never went there then because we didnt have a car then and it was way too far from where we lived. But guess I'm making up for that now by driving down to that location almost every work day. :(

No, I dont feel Good ...
IIRC, the drive in theater was on Bannerghatta road, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
I miss the old bangalore for the simple fact that thoes days we did breath real fresh air and banglaore had actual sparrows and other birds chriping. Miss thoes days of 1 ruppe lolly and NP chewing gum that we used to get for 50P. Gone are thoes days when cycles ruled the roads and we had loads of space to play and now its all virtual gaming.
I used to stay in Rajajinagar and my grandparents would never allow me to cycle on the roads. Why? Because they felt that there was too much traffic on the road. Imagine their plight when they see today's traffic.
Old 21st August 2010, 10:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well 62B used to ply from Jeevanbhimanar to Basveshwarnagar and i was very attached to this bus as we used to regularly go to Basveshwarnagar and we used plan our trip according to this bus timings..

Even 186 used to take the similar route....
Old 21st August 2010, 11:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how many of you had fun on the ring road from Koramangala to Indiranagar. I remember it opened in late 2000 or early 2001, me with friends used to stay in Jayanagar 4th T block. On a weekend generally the girls of our group use to stay with us. Those time we had around 4 bikes among us, my suzuki max modified to Suzuki Samurai, with registration KA-05 H 9096(i was duped as I bought second hand ), a Kawasaki Bajaj KB100, a new bajaj Caliber and a Kinetic Honda.
On Weekends around midnight we use to race on that ring road from Jayanagar and go to Airport have tea and come back, if not there we used to go to M.G road then and then from there to Jayanagar back. We use to switch off our bikes a good distance before we get to our place so as not to disturb our landlord .
It was so much fun, there was hardly any traffic on the ring road those days. Those days were awesome.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
getting the first seat in top deck of the double-deckers. ..
eventhough we had no work in Indiranagar we used take that double decker bus from majestic to Indiranagar and back just to
have that feel of sitting in the upper deck.
Forgot that bus number...
Old 21st August 2010, 12:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
eventhough we had no work in Indiranagar we used take that double decker bus from majestic to Indiranagar and back just to
have that feel of sitting in the upper deck.
Forgot that bus number...
The Bus Number would be 131 IIRC. I used to go to the museum for one course and used to wait for the Double Decker bus numbered 150 to goto Shivajinagar. Would skip the regular buses
Old 21st August 2010, 20:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Fordmanchu, i remember the ORR when it was just was about to be complete, i think in 2000 had got my shogun and had to do the running in... one chill sunday early morning took off and i dint find a soul there...used to be a regular on this road riding towards yelahanka/nandi hills...

Raj, yea same here i used to wait for the DD if i used to go to Majestic/shivaji nagar ....
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
IIRC, the drive in theater was on Bannerghatta road, right?
Yes. Back then Bannerghatta was dreaded road for accidents.
While we lived in Jayanagar, one of my friend lived close to the drive-in theater. Whenever I cycled to meet my friend, I used get a glimpse of the screen from the compound. The screen was very huge. My friend told though they could see the picture they couldn't hear any sound. Since the shows were in nights, we kids had no chance to visit. We were told that we needed a car and we never had a car. I wanted to watch a movie there. Now there is no theatre. It was disheartening to see the big screen being demolished.
The drive-in theater plot currently houses Subramanya Arcade, which has IBM offices.
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes. Back then Bannerghatta was dreaded road for accidents.
While we lived in Jayanagar, one of my friend lived close to the drive-in theater. Whenever I cycled to meet my friend, I used get a glimpse of the screen from the compound. The screen was very huge. My friend told though they could see the picture they couldn't hear any sound. Since the shows were in nights, we kids had no chance to visit. We were told that we needed a car and we never had a car. I wanted to watch a movie there. Now there is no theatre. It was disheartening to see the big screen being demolished.
The drive-in theater plot currently houses Subramanya Arcade, which has IBM offices.
Ah, right!! I remember it was near the ground where the circuses used to be setup. Now those grounds have been converted to an IT park
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
.. double decker bus from majestic to Indiranagar .. Forgot that bus number...
Route # 131 And they used to do a U-turn somewhere near New Horizon. Today the space looks so cramped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys, how many of you had fun on the ring road from Koramangala to Indiranagar.
That's the stretch where I tested the Fiat Uno-D .. took it all the way upto 130 ! And the Uno didnot complain. The road used to be empty back then ..

Last edited by condor : 23rd August 2010 at 14:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks