Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 09:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

I have located a Equity timepiece (made in HK) for sale. Its not working but can be used as a donor or repaired. Its a rare find so i thought of sharing this with fellow BHPians. Do let me know if any one needs it. Have attached a picture of the same model albeit a different piece.
Also a Favre Leuba JAZ timepiece is available, recently serviced fully working just missing the Alarm stopper pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-images.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2011, 18:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Clocks are always played a major role with everyone's life, ....

Here is my collection:

Westclox (Made in USA) Celebrating 100th year (1911 model)

Attachment 426467
Was casually going through this thread and in your post, trammway i found something which should be corrected. I have viewed more pics of the same clock in another thread, post no 42 link here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1751155 As you stated your Westclox Big Ben is 1911 model, but i think you are wrong (i hope i am not sounding harsh) as 1909 - 1918 produced ones had three screws through the front face and had round peg legs. The one you possess is surely year 1918 - 1935 manufactured one and i can confirm this if you post some more pics of the same clock.
PS: I myself own a similar one so have some decent knowledge regarding these timepieces.

Last edited by samsag12 : 3rd January 2011 at 18:38.
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Was casually going through this thread and in your post, trammway i found something which should be corrected. I have viewed more pics of the same clock in another thread, post no 42 link here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1751155 As you stated your Westclox Big Ben is 1911 model, but i think you are wrong (i hope i am not sounding harsh) as 1909 - 1918 produced ones had three screws through the front face and had round peg legs. The one you possess is surely year 1918 - 1935 manufactured one and i can confirm this if you post some more pics of the same clock.
PS: I myself own a similar one so have some decent knowledge regarding these timepieces.
you not at all sounding harsh, infact I'm eager to know what is that you found to be a age deciding factor.

I'm still not able to understand what is the 3 screws you are talking here? and one of the peg leg is not original, please check the same picture you have posted.
Old 4th January 2011, 08:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

I am attaching the link to the site which states the detailed history of Westclox Big Ben and Baby Ben timepieces. Please have a look at the same. Yours is most probably a Style 1a 1918-1935 model.

Some history of Westclox Big Ben Style 1a:

1918 to 1935
Identified by having no screws through the front of the case
In 1918 the Big Ben case was improved to make it dustproof, as described in patent #1,300,278 issued to Kern on April 15, 1919. This dust proofing is accomplished by fittings around the set knobs and winding keys and on the regulator.
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-img_6191.jpg
The style 1a can be distinguished from style 1 in several ways:
  • Style 1 has three screws through the bezel visible from the front, style 1a doesn't;
  • Style 1 has two screws holding the bell back, style 1a has three. Style 1a has four holes in the back to access the movement cap screws;
  • Style 1 has the legs and pendant riveted to the case, on style 1a they screw on. The first style 1a cases had double-hexagon legs, but after about a year they were changed to standard single hex form.
The movement was changed for style 1a so that the mounting nuts were on the back. The movement was mounted to the inner case back.

.................................................. ...............................................

Regarding the screws on the front, i am attaching a marked picture of your clock where the screws are fitted. This is the main deciding factor of the year of manufacture.
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-img_6193.jpg

BTW when did you purchased this timepiece.
Old 4th January 2011, 09:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here is my Westclox Big Ben Loud alarm clock. Its currently hibernated because of the need of some crucial parts. Though i know no one will come forward to help me (on Tbhp) but I would highly appreciate if any one can help me out sourcing parts for my big ben. I require the following :

1. Mainspring
2. Alarm spring
3. time adjust knob (fitted at back)
4. one peg leg or a set of any similar peg legs.

I am also ready to purchase a full movement (clock) as a donor. I will bear the shipping cost along with the cost of parts so do help me out.

PS: It seems that the link to the website failed to attach in the previous post. Anyways here is the link to the same.

http://clockhistory.com/westclox/pro...le1/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-image0623.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-image0625.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-image0624.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-image0626.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 4th January 2011 at 09:55.
Old 24th January 2011, 08:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone, its been a long silent thread. Anyways, i need some help from fellow members regarding the procurement of Clock oil and clock cleaning solution. I hope Powertwin &/or Trammway could surely help me in this regard. So please do let me know from where you people source the above supplies and, if possible, help me out as i need them urgently.
The only option left for me regarding the lubrication of clock would be Sewing machine oil which is not suitable but have to live with it. So guys please help me out.
Old 25th January 2011, 22:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone, its been a long silent thread. Anyways, i need some help from fellow members regarding the procurement of Clock oil and clock cleaning solution. I hope Powertwin &/or Trammway could surely help me in this regard. So please do let me know from where you people source the above supplies and, if possible, help me out as i need them urgently.
The only option left for me regarding the lubrication of clock would be Sewing machine oil which is not suitable but have to live with it. So guys please help me out.
"its been a long silent thread."
..Yes I agree even my 5 or 6 table clocks ,few unique Traveling Alarm Clocks are yet to be posted ( its all ready @ photo sharing sites)
Okay back to business, regarding Clock & watch lubrication Oil..
Any amateur can go for it ( even this lube oil spoils your machine, if poured at wrong points).
About clock or watch cleaning solution:
This stuff should be learned well before handling them as it is ACIDIC liquid, it may harm the Men & Machine ,if not properly understood & used.
( It may look simple, this watch fixers using this solution, after removing the watch parts from the solution, the acidity must be neutralized
by again immersing the parts in some basic solution.plenty of precautionary measures are to taken while handling " Gold Plated" or " Gold" movements with this solution.
So, if you are more particular in trying this SOLUTION, just try on the outer body of your Clocks or simple steel case watches.
This SOLUTION bottles are available with whole sale watch parts & fixers tool dealers at your place .( 500ml costs Rs 40 + )

Proper Watch lubrication Oil is commonly termed as " SWISS OIL".
This genuine Swiss oil costs Rs 600 + for 2 ml ( yes 2 cc only), which is used by HMT service centers & Titan people
Desi Swiss oil will be some where around Rs 200/= for 100ml
Even this DSO is not used by most of the talented watch fixers, they(NOT ALL) prefer 1 rupee Coconut oil sachets
My advice is to have a 2cc SO & get your machines lubricated by the watch fixers, and to bring them back to your custody ( which will create hot feelings with lean minded Watch fixers at times)
Old 31st January 2011, 17:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Thanks buddy for Spelling correction
Here is my " KIENZLE duo" Table clock ( circa 1900's)
Still going strong....

About my Kienzle duo clock>>> a Q & A from internet----->>>>>
Question

[SIZE=2]Kienzle[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Have just stumbled upon a few old clocks recently, taken it up as a recent interest. I am unable to date most of them though. The first one am having a hard time with is this Kienzle. Could you help me when time permits?

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Answer
There is a small brochure printed in 1908 by the factory of Schlenker & Kienzle about the first 25 years of the clock factory. In that booklet in German one can read something about the history. I will try to tell you the essentials of that text.In 1822 Johannes Schlenker began to run a clockshop at Schwenningen. He made typical Black Forest clocks with wooden works and a lacquered shield, the so-called "Lackschilduhren". Johannes Schlenker, born in 1782, died in 1864, He had three sons who were involved in the clockshop. On April 18th 1883 the grandson of Johannes Schlenker Karl Johannes and the husband of his daughter Jakob Kienzle became directors of the family run business. They started producing clocks in an industrial way.The brand mark of the famous Schlenker & Kienzle clocks was a wheel with two wings. In the first years they sold their clocks mainly in Germany and Austria. In 1887 they founded another factory in Komotau (Austria). Before 1908 several other factories and sales offices in Germany, France, England and Italy were built. In 1908 three quarters of all clocks were exported. Until 1893 the factory only produced clocks with massive plates. Then they started to produce also cheaper clockworks with skeleton plates in the way most American clocks were made, the so-called "Amerikaneruhren". Between 1883 and 1907 they made 2,301,240 clocks with massive plates, and between 1894 and 1907 they made 5,327,450 clocks in the American way.
The company was founded by Johannes Schlenker, then passed down through the family. In 1892 production was 162,000 clocks.The name was changed in 1919 to Kienzle Uhrenfabriken and the company merged with Thomas Haller in 1929
In 1939 had 3500 employees. Transferred to China in 1997. Now part of Highway Holdings Ltd

so I would guess early 1900's [/SIZE]
The Kienzle shown in the above pic is my clock. The query was posted on that site a couple of years back. Thank you for digging up that photograph and reviving my memories. I have a few clocks, a seven day Smiths car clock, a pocket watch of Roskopf and a few watches.

Some pictures are already posted in the following link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ce-thread.html

Shall post the others as and when I have them.
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:34   #54
BHPian

worlds smallest Travelling manual wound Travel Clock!!

Smallest, ultra light weight Travel Alarm Clock from TIMEX

Presenting my beautiful Manual wound TRAVEL clock by TIMEX ( Circa 70's I guess)
Sorry the Center Second hand jumped from the CENTER, its safe inside
The Alarm sound can wake you up even if you are sleeping in a Noisy Indian train , note the Crown to power up the movement & outer red serrated bezel to set the Alarm time
* Size of the clock : 1" X 1 "X0.75" & weighs approx 25 grams, without the leather pouch !!
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Nice Travel clock there powertwin. Whats the total run time of this clock.
BTW do you have any repair guide/ manual for table and wall clocks. I need to open/dismantle one of my Seikosha wall clock for cleaning and lubrication but refrain from doing so because of the complexity. Please help me in this regard.
Old 15th February 2011, 23:42   #56
BHPian

Got a old Wall clock

Is this clock fit here ?
Got it at my native house.
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-dsc02779.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-dsc02780-resize.jpg  

Old 16th February 2011, 08:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

It indeed is and with that unique double strike gong movement (BIM BAM) its a rare addition to this thread. BTW is the clock a Jaico make as i too have access to some clocks badged SCIENTIFIC and they are made by Jaico.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:
It indeed is and with that unique double strike gong movement (BIM BAM) its a rare addition to this thread. BTW is the clock a Jaico make as i too have access to some clocks badged SCIENTIFIC and they are made by Jaico.
Yes, its a double strike gong movement (BIM BAM).
No idea its made by JAICO.
need to check the clock / bill.
Old 16th February 2011, 19:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

I'm posting the video of an exotic oscillating clock from powertwin collection, more details on this video follows soon from powertwin

Last edited by trammway : 16th February 2011 at 19:46.
Old 16th February 2011, 20:16   #60
BHPian

Ok guys here are the few clocks which I own

https://picasaweb.google.com/ptyagi007/Clocks#

@ Powertwin I have a similar Jaz clock but I recon they were under a licence from South Africa not France!
Also we seem to have similar taste on few things.
to name some: Red RD, lambretta, jawa, jaz,

cheers
Piyush

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks