Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2020, 10:40   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!

Suggestions invited:

Some one I know has some agri land near Bangalore, not too far off Nice Road, and with good access. The land is ready for use, and has red soil. Fenced, but a water source will have to be arranged.

Can this be used for shard farming ?

Divide it into small plots, and each person utilizes the number of plots he wants to.
Costs & harvest of the individual plot will be with the respective person,

A monthly rental + share of cost on common infra to be borne by each
May be a small refundable deposit to take care of the setup being done.

Note:
Local labor cannot be depended on.
The person has to put in his own effort in his plot of use
Watchman will be there for overall 'watching'

What do you guys think ? Is it feasible ? If yes, how can it be structured ?

Must remember that initial setup can take some time, and even veggies can take time between 4 weeks to 4 months. Hence one must be ready for an initial gestation period.
Old 9th January 2020, 10:52   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If its for harvesting coconuts, you can contact Kariyanna
Hi Shashank, where is this person based out of ? What does he charge you per tree ?
Old 9th January 2020, 13:24   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Suggestions invited:

Some one I know has some agri land near Bangalore, not too far off Nice Road, and with good access. The land is ready for use, and has red soil. Fenced, but a water source will have to be arranged.

Can this be used for shard farming ?
This might be okay if pursued as a hobby, but not feasible economically. If you looking to grow organic food crop/vegetables, buying from a reputed shop will work out cheaper.
P.S: even as a hobby you need good water source, borewells can get very expensive in Bangalore and may run out of water in a year of two.

Another issue could be utilisation of the produce. Every year we grow veggies at our home, everyone likes them initially but you get fed up if the produce is surplus and then give it relatives/friends. May not be the case with grains but that would be labour intensive crops.

I feel a nursery might work out better than farming.

Last edited by PrideRed : 9th January 2020 at 13:31.
Old 9th January 2020, 14:02   #214
BHPian

Does anyone know any place that teaches beekeeping in Bangalore? I'm thinking of learning beekeeping as a hobby.
Old 9th January 2020, 22:06   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
This might be okay if pursued as a hobby, but not feasible economically.
You completely missed the point looks like. If the intention were to be economical then the land would have been leased out to one person. And I have mentioned "shared" and the additional points also indicate the same. Also there are people who are thinking of doing something for themselves but dont have access to agri land.
Old 9th January 2020, 22:34   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You completely missed the point looks like. And I have mentioned "shared" and the additional points also indicate the same. Also there are people who are thinking of doing something for themselves but dont have access to agri land.
I am not sure of the specifics of this but check out https://www.farmizen.com/faq/ I am not associated with them in any way but it does belong to a BHPian. They have this concept of shared farming and perhaps, you could understand the business model and system with them if you havent done so earlier. But I myself havent researched how this works or how this would benefit either the farmer or the person who rents the farm. But with the limited read, I understand that the labour should still be managed by the farmer. Having land in the family, labour is now a big issue everywhere. No matter what the system you adopt, I believe we should not undergo loss when we carry out farming activity. Hence, paying for labour and raw materials should give us at least return of investment in addition to little bit of produce for the kitchen. If that also doesnt happen, then I feel its better to convert the land into a plantation with long term plants.
Old 9th January 2020, 22:38   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You completely missed the point looks like. If the intention were to be economical then the land would have been leased out to one person. And I have mentioned "shared" and the additional points also indicate the same. Also there are people who are thinking of doing something for themselves but dont have access to agri land.
I have mentioned feasibility for both, please check. Not having water source is a concern. Also soil mentioned is not suitable for all kinds of crop. Do you also know what crops were grown earlier? This will impact soil fertility.
Old 11th January 2020, 11:06   #218

Hey Guys,

So glad I ran into this thread.

Has anyone of you or your acquaintances practiced permaculture before?

We have a small plot in Haryana which has kinoow and orange fruit trees. I plan to start vegetable farming on the farmland using Permaculture principles.

Any input will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 11:32   #219
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranz View Post

Has anyone of you or your acquaintances practiced permaculture before?

Any input will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
You may like to check with Ms Manisha Gupta she runs Aanandaa Permaculture Farm close to Panchkula. They have a nice fb page, you will get the details from there.
Old 11th January 2020, 12:34   #220

Hi thanks PGA,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Am aware of Aananda farm.They have done some spectacular transformation on their farm . Was looking at some more farms like Aananda on a somewhat smaller scale. ( I should have mentioned that earlier)

Our land is quite small around 2 acres which includes a house and orchards so was looking at a smaller enterprise maybe.

Additionally we are planning to open up a Goat farm ( in a separate leased land ) . Any leads on that front too please?

Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 16:35   #221
Senior - BHPian

Anyone into floriculture here ?

I'm mainly curious to know how plant nurseries and the farms they source from are able to get plants with such an abundance of flowers from small plants so easily ? I'm sure they spray done hormones or use fertilizer in some different way.

I would like to try it out. Any tips or should I try the gardening thread. Obviously strong sunlight i know about but what other tricks are employed
Old 11th January 2020, 21:40   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Anyone into floriculture here ?

I'm mainly curious to know how plant nurseries and the farms they source from are able to get plants with such an abundance of flowers from small plants so easily ? I'm sure they spray done hormones or use fertilizer in some different way
Commercial floriculture looks to be capital and labor intensive, and needs involvement. Marketing avenues booked in advance, and then work is done. I had met one person who had done the analysis and dropped the idea. The returns may look attractive, but the RoI needs to be considered carefully.

However, my question is - what exactly do you want from floral plants ?
Old 17th January 2020, 15:03   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Commercial floriculture looks to be capital and labor intensive, and needs involvement. Marketing avenues booked in advance, and then work is done. I had met one person who had done the analysis and dropped the idea. The returns may look attractive, but the RoI needs to be considered carefully.

However, my question is - what exactly do you want from floral plants ?
I don't want to do any commercial floriculture. I just want to get the flowering plants in my house and building garden to do better and flower more often and in a healthier manner. That's why i referenced commercial nurseries. Their plants have big healthy blooms even in young plants, no doubt the plants are stressed but i wish to achieve this in a better manner. No doubt there are some tricks and sprays used so i was curious to know if anyone had more info
Old 20th January 2020, 14:09   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right in that this would probably not be economical. Hence, your target market would have to be people who look at this as a break away from the rat race of the city and are looking at going there every weekend or on days off to use the land and farming as a de-stress. Marketed like that it can work. Assuming water can be arranged, people might be interested.
Old 20th January 2020, 15:57   #225
BHPian

Re: Farming - Permissions, authorities, logistics & challenges expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Yes,I have formed a privet limited company through which whole work will be done. Like plantation, labours, even selling the final products by the brand names.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ny-name-2.html
Hi, jeepster. I reckon you are running a decent sized agri-business.

Could you shed some light on legalities of converting a farm into a private limited company?

What happens to the ownership of the land, does it become company land or is the company limited to the business part?

Can a company own agricultural land? Are plantations an exception?

Any links to literature on the subject will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Malhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks