Maninder Singh 14 9.79%
Ravi Shastri 6 4.20%
Any other (please specify) 10 6.99%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2005, 18:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Worst Cricket Commentator of the Year

Do let us know who do you think is the WORST cricket commentator. In my view, it is Arun Lal.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2005, 19:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

I couldnt vote coz for me its a tie between Manindar Singh and Arun Lal, both of them are equally boring. Just to add, my all time favourites are Navjot, Sunny, Henry Blofeld and Geoffrey Boycott.
Old 22nd December 2005, 19:12   #3
BHPian

I'd have preferred a multiple choice poll.

I can't decide between Arun Lal, Maninder, Sidhu and Ranjit Fernando
Old 22nd December 2005, 19:37   #4
BHPian

Sidhu and shastri are good to be in this list....
And i am missing krishnamachari srikanth here
Old 22nd December 2005, 19:51   #5
BHPian

I voted for Maninder Singh, infact I would have chosen both him and Arun Lal. dceite, you have forgotten Kris Srikkanth...hes aweful, with all his "Tukda" Hindi, he makes commentating a nightmare.
I dont know about you guys but I also think that Sidhu does make sense sometimes. I was watching NDTV's sports news, the day when Ganguly got dropped from the 2nd Test Team....and I thought that Sidhu had a few valid points to say, and I had to agree with him.
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sanjay Manjrekar, because:

1. He simply cant stop talking on and on and on about Tendoolkar, and what he does, what he wears, what he thinks, what he blah blah blah blah. Sycophant, and a very ingratiatingly irritating one. Cant stand him.

2. He didnt do much of note during his brief and rather colourless career, yet talks like a bloody know-all.
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Sanjay Manjrekar, because:

1. He simply cant stop talking on and on and on about Tendoolkar, and what he does, what he wears, what he thinks, what he blah blah blah blah. Sycophant, and a very ingratiatingly irritating one. Cant stand him.

2. He didnt do much of note during his brief and rather colourless career, yet talks like a bloody know-all.
First part may be valid but surprised with second part. He was one of the less exciting players of his time, but he certainly had best technique. He is supposedly technically most correct till now (may be Dravid surpassed him now) Indian batsman, far more correct than legendary(?) Sunil Gavaskar. His career was cut short due to his poor scoring rate and poor running between wickets. His double hundred against pakistan was stellar performance (He got run out on 218).
Old 22nd December 2005, 21:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

The thing that is wrong with most Indian commentators is that, the moment Sachin hits a four or a six, they shout :" OO that was a great shot.. nothing wrong with the ball... saching is like God in India....blah blah...".. and when the same kind of shot is hit by say Adam Gilchrist, "And that ball has been dispatched for four, poor bowling by Zaheer"...
Old 22nd December 2005, 22:18   #9
BHPian

how could u even think of including ravi shastri and rameez raja-they are one of the most sensible ones.
no 'worst list' is complete without kris srikant in it-whether its worst,most boring,most irritating or most 'wanting to mute' commentator
Old 22nd December 2005, 22:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
And i am missing krishnamachari srikanth here

Add to that Javagal Srinath !!!
Old 23rd December 2005, 00:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Javgal Srinath, Kris Srikanth and Kapil Dev.
Old 23rd December 2005, 01:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would choose between Krish Shrikant, Maninder and Arun Lal. Krish looked good commentating only in the Fair and Lovely ad he appeared in
Old 23rd December 2005, 02:25   #13
BANNED

hey man no offence but i think that ravi shastri is an bore comentrator actully he look like a " bewda " i think he should keep quit and let them play in peace as my friend always says when ever ravi sh. speaks something for example if sachin is playin and he stars praisin sachin that he is a gr8 player and much more within min. the player gets out ....................thiss is what my friend told me to write ??????????????
u can laugh on that bcoz i did laugh by lookin at his face when he told that to me ............
haaaaaaaaaaaaa
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 23rd December 2005, 11:53   #14
BHPian

I think Manjarekar did more with the bat than the other idiot mouthing off catch phrases like there is no tomorrow. Yes I am talking about N Sidhu.
Add Maninder, Ranjit Fernando, L Sivaramakrishnan (his tone is irritating!) and Mohinder Amarnath (in the studio altho I have great respect for him as a player)

My favourites are Ravi Shastri, Geoff Boycott, Ian Chappel and Bill Lawrie (that guy sure has some passion in his voice :-) )
Old 23rd December 2005, 11:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

One of the common situation with most of them:

Batsman hits a smashing lofted drive when there is lot of pressure on batsmen. Hits 4 or 6.

Commentator: That was a handsome shot. He should play his natural game. If you defend, you are going to get out without scoring runs. This is exactly the way they should play. You hit boundaries and put pressure of fielders..blah blah blah.

Next ball! Batsman tries another hit, gets clean bowled or gets caught on boundary.

Commentator: What a poor shot selection! When team needs him around, he played very irresponsible shot. He should adopt to situation and curb stroke making instincts. There was no need of lofted drive when singles can work....blah blah blah...

Believe me, I have watched it umpteen number of times.

Most Viewed