Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... when we were driving on NICE road and the booth attendent gave us a receipt for LCV when we were driving a UV. The rate was higher.
Doesn't the NICE road even have camera's?. Well, I guess that's why he bothered to give you the receipt, atleast of an LCV.
Old 24th May 2011, 00:36   #17
BHPian

I had strange experience on NE -1. They charge the toll amount on the entry points of NE -1 and you just show the receipt of the paid toll at the exit point. Now interesting part is, when I was travelling from Anand to Ahmadabad, I paid toll at Anand Entry point and got it stamped at Ahmadabad exit point. But sometimes on return back home, when I asked toll ticket for Anand, the attendant at Ahmadabad Entry point asked me to pay at Exit of Anand. I thought this is a scam and toll amount charged at Anand Exit point will go into these guys pocket, so decided to try that and blast them BUT interestingly when I took exit at Anand and told the attendant that I want to pay stating what I was told at Ahmadabad Entry, he plainly said that you don't need pay. This happened for at least 5 to 6 times in the month of January. I still do not know why they were allowing to travel for free and this was not just me but happened to other friends as well.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 24th May 2011 at 00:39.
Old 24th May 2011, 00:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its easy to tackle this - start the punch in punch out on exits. The toll plaza from where you enter gives you a ticket, and you punch that ticket on the exit you want to take in order to open the gate.
If it is flat rate for road use, prepay at the entering plaza. If its based on mileage, pay at the out plaza (only possible on closed/restricted access highways ).
All it needs is some common sense and some will to go the distance by our great NHAI!
Old 24th May 2011, 14:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Toll plazas are probably a great way to make money on the side. I heard recently that some "toll collection booths" just outside Pune city are illegal. Probably set up by a local goon in cahoots with a friendly neighbourhood politician. Disturbing yes, but why am I surprised?

There are booths along NH4 (Pune-Kolhapur route) where the attendants return change in branded sweets/toffees. So if the toll is 45/- they give you 5 toffees of 1/- each as change. Reason cited: "sir change naahi aahe". My guess is that they pick up those in wholesale at half the MRP and make merry pickings (even if 200 people cross the toll everyday, which is a gross underestimation, that's about a 100/- into the pocket for these guys).

I am eagerly waiting for e-tags to find their way into this country, but somehow doubt they ever will.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Noop, the way around is what I ALWAYS follow. With the number of toll booths on the NH4, you are bound to get some toffee's as change. I religisouly keep them (plus some extras that i carry) with me, and at the next booth hand them over as change! If they refuse to take them, I refuse to pay!

Also, most of them are of questionable legality. But then again, who would want to mess around with those nincumpoops?

E-Tags, where are you? I so look forward to the day that they come in existence!
Old 24th May 2011, 14:33   #21
Team-BHP Support

Talking about toll booths, there was an article in the newspaper recently about a political family in KA who are strongly opposed to the NICE project, and still travel on the tolled road without paying! Wonder how they get through.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have done a Bangy chennai up down many times in the past 3 years. Never faced this issue.
Any idea on when will toll actually be stopped? AFAIK, the government enters into an agreement with the BOT operator that after the costs of building the road is recovered, the toll should be stopped. This is usually after a few years 10-12 years. But have never seen this happening. Its time we questioned this via the RTI mode.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I heard recently that some "toll collection booths" just outside Pune city are illegal. Probably set up by a local goon in cahoots with a friendly neighbourhood politician.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Noop, the way around is
The one that I can immediately remeber of is the one set up , just as you cross Bavdhan from Chandani Chowk . This booth has been termed illegal and has a public petition(Bavdhan residents ) running in the Shivaji Nagar court and has been termed to be on " STAY " (no collection) , but still they are collecting .

Remember Sudarshan not paying last time (Team BHP meet) and me frequently not paying proves it . Oh BTW , even if you end up paying someday (while tailing some cars ) take a 1 side toll and while returning flash the reciept in your hand , nobody cares to check that . Tried and tested .
Old 24th May 2011, 16:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Remember Sudarshan not paying last time (Team BHP meet) and me frequently not paying proves it . Oh BTW , even if you end up paying someday (while tailing some cars ) take a 1 side toll and while returning flash the reciept in your hand , nobody cares to check that . Tried and tested .
I think you are referring to the one on the route between Chandni Chowk & Mulshi. I paid once when I did not know about the legality of the toll booth and flashed the receipt on my return (that part works; I can confirm)
I will try to drive without paying the next time I go; what did Sudarshan sir tell them when he went past?

EDIT:
Swanand & Noopster; I have also done the exhange part with the toffees. I dont like the idea of them creating an alternate currency/ payment system; but here we should definitely pay them back in their own coin/ toffee/ whatever

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th May 2011 at 16:02.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

While we are at the topic, here is an incident that i remember clearly.

This was in my hometown, Sangli. There used to be a toll booth on the way to Kolhapur, just outside Sangli (Jaisinghpur). This booth had been there for time immemorial, collecting toll every single day! Oh, BTW, the road was miserable, inspite of the toll.
One fine day, the mob got so furious with these guys that they literally got down from their vehicles and TORCHED the toll booth. Till date the remains of that booth can be seen!

Thats probably what needs to be done i guess. Though an extreme measure, but then there are times when one needs to resort to these measures. No?
Old 24th May 2011, 16:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have the same experience in the toll gate near Krishnagiri while coming back from Kerala. The toll was 25, I gave 50, he asked for Rs5 change, I did not have, he returns Rs30 and asks me to move on and no receipt. I think this is becoming very common. Unless they install an automated mechanism to count vehicles this is going to create a loop hole for corruption.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:04   #27
BHPian

A year back on my way to trichy from chennai.
Morng 4 ish at chengelpet toll booth .toll Rs 20/- one way.Give him Rs 100/- argues with me for change .I refuse to give and he waves me off .
Similar experience in Srperambudur toll early morng.

tx
Old 24th May 2011, 17:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think you are referring to the one on the route between Chandni Chowk & Mulshi. I paid once when I did not know about the legality of the toll booth and flashed the receipt on my return (that part works; I can confirm)
I will try to drive without paying the next time I go; what did Sudarshan sir tell them when he went past?

EDIT:
Swanand & Noopster; I have also done the exhange part with the toffees. I dont like the idea of them creating an alternate currency/ payment system; but here we should definitely pay them back in their own coin/ toffee/ whatever
That toll booth is illegal. Apparently they hold out their hand and accept the money people give and provide a receipt. If you keep driving, nobody stops you. I've never ever paid toll there.
Same for the first toll booth going south on NH4. MH12 and MH14 vehicles are exempt and I've never paid toll there either.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Same for the first toll booth going south on NH4. MH12 and MH14 vehicles are exempt and I've never paid toll there either.
Do you mean the toll plaza at Khanapur? If yes, I am surprised about that one!
Even at the Chandni chowk one, a fellow occupant mentioned AFTER leaving the toll plaza that it is an illegal one. Why would he not say that before or at the toll plaza
Old 24th May 2011, 18:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Do you mean the toll plaza at Khanapur? If yes, I am surprised about that one!
My mistake. The NH4 toll plaza is not illegal. Just wanted to bring out the point about not being required to pay toll.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks