Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:58   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will be happy to give Toll Guy complete money even if he does not give a receipt at least some poor is going to earn something
Oh, come on!

That is just giving their pathetic mentality something to feed on.

And why do you think they get the entire money? Obviously, the "loot" is shared by a no. of people.

Isn't that full-scale corruption? I'm not against helping "poor" people but if you're going to let him have the toll amount, but there is no reason why the guy collecting toll should pocket your money for just sitting on his rear; especially when he is paid just for that.

This has a domino effect : everyone's paying toll but a lot of it never reaches the management. In effect, they don't have funds to maintain the roads; and they then raise prices. Consequently, it will encourage these toll collectors to charge less and not provide receipts. And the circus will go on.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:30   #62
BHPian

i think a better option will be the way toll was introduced in Dubai (sheik zayed road). All cars wishing to pass through this tolled section has to have a prepaid radio tag (available at transport offices (govt)) and there are receivers on the road (mounted on a huge frame like structure). When the car passes, it picks up the signal and depending on the entry and exit, it deducts the toll form the prepaid-account. No cumbersome toll booths, no traffic jams, no waiting, no toll booth operators, no need to search for change. If there is no radio tag on the car windshield, cameras mounted on the same frame will capture the picture of the car license plate (and are caught when they go to renew their registration at the end of the year (or two, i forgot))

On the downside is, when it was introduced, there were lots of wrong readings and wrong fines (which i hope was sorted out later)
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:51   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
i think a better option will be the way toll was introduced in Dubai (sheik zayed road). All cars wishing to pass through this tolled section has to have a prepaid radio tag (available at transport offices (govt)) and there are receivers on the road (mounted on a huge frame like structure). When the car passes, it picks up the signal and depending on the entry and exit, it deducts the toll form the prepaid-account. No cumbersome toll booths, no traffic jams, no waiting, no toll booth operators, no need to search for change.
The radio card system is there here too, but in hardly couple of places.

Delhi-Gurgaon expressway has 3 lanes for radio tag users; so does BETL in Bangalore.

They are useful for regular users; a large no. of people would get past the booth fast and there would be no room for corruption. I wonder how convenient they would be on the highways though.

Apart from the regular inter-city buses that ply everyday, there would hardly be any users who'd find it more economical to have prepaid radio tags.

Not to mention the circus when vehicles without radio tags enter those lanes; just because the queue is shorter!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd June 2011 at 20:52.
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

This radio tag thing is heavily used in US. In Northeast - new England area the EZPass is used. Around Florida I believe its Sunpass. Its very easy and we hardly see any manned booth. Even the booths accepting coins are automated ones and demand exact change. But granted it is a little difficult to implement in India. Although the same concept that EZPass users pay 10% less toll may be marketed - but the number of highway users in India are miniscule compared to US.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:02   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How come the road accident of some politician is a matter of national security...? Sorry your argument totally went over my head.
The accident of a cabinet minister was just quoted as an example. The incident does have prominence as it took place while the politician was on his way to oath taking ceremony, he was to play the role of one of the ministers in the state. It is dealt under sabotage clause. Slackening nature of employees at toll plaza's when looked into with a larger scope of view shows that we might at some point in time be unable to trace anti-social movement.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This radio tag thing is heavily used in US. In Northeast - new England area the EZPass is used.
Its there in Singapore too. There they have peak hour charges for accessing certain roads. Cool idea I would say. Reduces peak hour traffic, while not holding it up for toll collection.
Old 4th June 2011, 10:49   #67
BHPian

As I remember reading in the papers, when Gen Khandhuri was the Minister for Road Transports, he directed toll plazas to be manned directly by NHAI contacted employees, by ex-servicemen. who were sincere and honest and were producing good revenue for the NHAI. This was a good source of employment opportunity also for retiring soldiers from infantry etc. who did not have very many skills for civilian life. But for the Golden Quadrilateral projects and other high ways which were completed after Gen Kahadhiri's tenure, this was changed to auctioning to private parties on an annual contact, for a consolidated fixed amount. This has lead to cartelisation as well as other considerations. A case point is the arrest of the NHAI project manager, I think the name is Mr Krishna Kumar in Bangalore by CBI on bribery and disproportionate assets case. Looks like there are wheels within the wheels. The private contractors pay much less than potential revenues to NHAI in auction. In turn, as far as they realise a certain assured returns from each toll booth, it appears they do not bother what their sub contractors or lowly paid contract employees collect from tool both. At present there is a proposal at NHAI that all toll booths will be removed from direct collection by NHAI and will be contracted out to private parties. What happens to the honest ex-servicemen employed in direct NHAI operated toll plazas? Well, NHAI says they can be employed in four lane high ways in north east and J and K. Now it is any one's imagination how many such high ways are there in north east and J and K? Zindabad Mother India.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:11   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will be happy to give Toll Guy complete money even if he does not give a receipt at least some poor is going to earn something
are you trying to be a robinhood here? if charity is what you are looking at, please look elsewhere, there are thousands in this country who find it difficult to have two square meals.help them. atleast the guy working at the toll both has got a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Oh, come on!

That is just giving their pathetic mentality something to feed on.

And why do you think they get the entire money? Obviously, the "loot" is shared by a no. of people.

Isn't that full-scale corruption? I'm not against helping "poor" people but if you're going to let him have the toll amount, but there is no reason why the guy collecting toll should pocket your money for just sitting on his rear; especially when he is paid just for that.

This has a domino effect : everyone's paying toll but a lot of it never reaches the management. In effect, they don't have funds to maintain the roads; and they then raise prices. Consequently, it will encourage these toll collectors to charge less and not provide receipts. And the circus will go on.
100% agree with you libran,

we cannot aid corruption by thinking that we are helping the poor. we all know how poor the rajas and kalmadis of this country are/were.
Old 4th June 2011, 20:08   #69
BHPian

Collecting the toll itself is a scam. Where does all the taxes go??? Even if everything goes as per smart card and all, it goes into the pockets of the transport minister.

The option is to select the small time toll gate operators to be benefitted or the minister. LOL
Old 4th June 2011, 20:29   #70
BHPian

Well in my visits on NH 1, 4, 8 and a few others in the last two years this situation has occured only twice. so i am pretty satisfied with the situation at present. Remember there will always be people wanting to make an extra buck but the magnitude is not that great in my experience.

losses will be there as we can never have a loss less system, atleast not here in India
Old 6th June 2011, 08:26   #71
BHPian

I have driven several times on the highways and this has never happened to me or any other vehicle before me in the toll both counter. May be this is happening during the night drives.

The option that i see to control this is the government providing some sort of tax relief to some extent on the toll paid based on the evidence of toll receipt. But still there is a loop-hole for the car users , because mostly do not always travel on the highways and the tax relief may be less rewarding than paying less to the toll plaza staffs. May be this sort of plan can be implemented in case of Truck/ commercial transport people who ply vehicles regularly and can claim the tax relief.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:25   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj302 View Post
During our GQ drive on Mar 2010, in one of the toll booths some where in UP, we were made a unique offer. If we can give a ride to one of the staff of booth, we will get a pass through for this booth and the next one. No need to pay . Of course, we didn't oblige. This was a non automated booth.

But other than this aberration, I never found any ill-happening in any of the booths, in my 10000+ km of tolled road travels.
I have been offered such 'benefits' almost every time (In the mornings especially) at NICE toll booth in Tumkur Road to which as always I decline.
Old 7th June 2011, 06:43   #73
BHPian

Its never happened to me before, i travel a bit frequently. Although here in Tamil Nadu, we have this festival 'Ayudha Puja' and once when i was driving, the toll operator said, " Sir Puja time sir, no receipt. thank you " but he did give me the exact change, so i was not too much in the mood to complain.
Old 7th June 2011, 08:08   #74
BHPian

I have always got the receipt in a toll. But I have often thought about the toll booth at Akkulam Bridge, just in front of Kulathunkal Motors, Trivandrum, in NH 47. I have been seeing that toll booth for ages and now they still keep collecting the toll! No one knows whether the period for collecting the toll is over or not. Any info about it anyone?
Old 7th June 2011, 11:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

I was once issued a receipt with a different registration no. on the Tambaram-Maduravoyal road toll plaza, which I noticed only after reaching home! This was when I came for a track day meet. Thereafter I always check the number.

A close relative who works for the small logistics arm of a big company confirms the scam. But says it is usually done through an understanding between the regular drivers on that sector - truck/cab/taxi drivers and the guys manning the toll plaza. The modus operandi is like this; the driver hands over x amount, the person at the booth will take an amount equal to half the toll amount and will return the balance, along with a piece of paper which will usually be blank. This is for the benefit of prying eyes which may be observing the transaction! If only money changes hands with no ticket, people will immediately smell a rat. At the exit toll plaza, the driver will again hand over half the money and the piece of paper, which will be "examined" and the vehicle will pass!

He says their trucks ply from South TN/Pondy all the way to Gujarat/Maharashtra, and this goes on everywhere. It is not only the guys manning the booths, everyone is in cahoots. He says for a Volvo truck the toll amount will be quite heavy - usually hundreds at each booth Looks like their Volvo driver makes about Rs 20K easily for each trip! He is paid only half the recommended Rs 25K for Volvo drivers who must be graduates, grumbles a lot about the low wage but does not quit for greener pastures! Why? The reason is obvious. It is not only toll booths, there will be check-posts on the way where money will change hands. These fellows will pad up those amounts too and make a killing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks