Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 14:50   #151
BHPian

Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Looks like toll attendants have upgraded from toffees to biscuit packets. Couple of weeks back when I was driving back from Chennai to Bangalore, at the first toll the amount was Rs 45. Instead of giving back the change he gave me a biscuit packet(some unknown brand). I was not willing to move without the change and then he gave me Rs 5 back.
Good job! I did the same thing, but for Rs. 2. It may sound foolish; lot of people would consider me an "idiot\miser" for arguing and ensuring i got the change instead of chocolates.

I did this at the Krishnagiri toll gate long back. The guy gave me 2 chocolates. Instead of taking it, i gave him3 eclairs and asked for Rs 5. he targued and finally conceded and gave me two one rupee coins.

When I questioned the folks at the Krishnagiri toll gate (for collecting toll) about the bad stretches and traffic jams that are caused due to constructing fly-overs near Hosur, the guy says "I dont know about it, I am doing my job! ".

Are'nt these idiots responsible if someone gets a flat tyre due to the road conditions?

Over a period of time, instead of the toll being reduced it has increased multiple times. No idead why!!! - After all this, the government officials (sometimes their kith and kin) get a free passage through these tolls!
Old 5th September 2013, 17:06   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
When I questioned the folks at the Krishnagiri toll gate (for collecting toll) about the bad stretches and traffic jams that are caused due to constructing fly-overs near Hosur, the guy says "I dont know about it, I am doing my job! ".

Are'nt these idiots responsible if someone gets a flat tyre due to the road conditions?
The toll attendant was correct: he was doing his job. Are you seriously expecting a guy whose responsibility it is to collect money and raise & lower the crash barrier to be qualified enough to answer your query?

Maybe you can approach the highway authority with your query. When you engage in any discussion with the toll guy not directed related to payment of the specific toll, it holds up everyone and gets in the way of his job.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 17:36   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The toll attendant was correct: he was doing his job. Are you seriously expecting a guy whose responsibility it is to collect money and raise & lower the crash barrier to be qualified enough to answer your query?

Maybe you can approach the highway authority with your query. When you engage in any discussion with the toll guy not directed related to payment of the specific toll, it holds up everyone and gets in the way of his job.
Yup, he was. Never said anything against it. I am sure there would be lots of other people who would ask him the same thing.

Yes, discussions at the toll gate holds-up everyone. I asked him a question, did not discuss anything else with him.
Old 5th September 2013, 17:39   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Two points - would we live without the modern NH system. If not then the PPP chap needs to recover his costs. The Road Tax is still insignificant as compared to the west, even with many usurious states.

One question - where is the road tax and fuel surcharge going? It is supposed to be for road development only. I suspect it is vanishing into the black hole known as the Consolidated Fund f India, and its state counterpart(s).

My own view is No Exemptions. make everyone pay, and if they are eligible let them claim a refund from their employer.
Sir agreed and recognized.your suspicions are well founded.However all the road and other development taxes are going towards freebies being offered- free mixie, grinder, fan,, you name it, during election times.

To put it another perspective. We are paying for roads that are supposed to be provided as a normal part of the responsibilty of the authority.
Will we agree to pay toll inside the city (for discussion sake) for road usage.

Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 16:07   #155
BHPian

New report on Toll scam

NH8 toll operator cheats by Rs 16 lakh/day: KPMG survey
Old 27th September 2013, 22:00   #156
BHPian

In this age of electronics, cards, sensors etc we still continue to use medieval techniques, all this to help the corrupt. Our highways have improved over the last 10years, why not move ahead and implement some hi-tech methods (Aadhaar model ) for toll collection?
Old 10th February 2014, 12:39   #157
BHPian

So the toll issue has reared its ugly head again thanks to the strike call given by MNS head.
For a change, I am with Mr. Raj Thackerey on this one. But not on the methods adopted but on the issue concerned.

The toll collected by the various roads is not being properly utilised. This can be gauged by the quality of roads and also the lack of facilities along the roads.

For e.g. take the case of Mumbai-Pune Expwy... So many accidents happen here. But still there is no change in the way the highway is managed. There are no medical or ememrgency facilities along the entire stretch. People die just because they do not get timely medical attention. Lack of lane markings, poor night markers, no check on speeding vehicles, broken medians, animals on the road etc. are some of the issues which need immediate attention. Note that from April onwards they are going to increase the Mumbai-Pune toll. Don;t know where all of this goes.

Similar is the condition on the roads with tolls at Thane and Vashi. Moreover, the Mumbai entry point toll was setup long time back for outside vehicles entering into Mumbai. At that time, this included Thane. But now, Thane is part of Mumbai as many people stay here and work in Mumbai and its suburbs. Why do they have to pay toll? Even Navi Mumbai is now considered part of Mumbai, so why toll for residents from these areas. Doesn;t make sense, does it??
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 12:52   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ One fallout of the recent agitation is that the purportedly illegal toll booth at Chandani Chowk towards Mulshi has ceased to be operational. The booths still stand but they are unmanned and locked up.

A call has gone out for "rasta roko" on Wednesday 12th February across Maharashtra in protest against rampant collection of tolls without commensurate roadwork or facilities, in short: accountability for what is collected. Since ruling party is obviously not supporting this agitation, not sure what the impact will be, but given past history it's expected to be violent, with the leader concerned having gone on record that not only toll booths be attacked but possibly burned down as well. Please take care of yourselves!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 22:36   #159
BHPian

Hi everybody.
A few days back heard Ms. Sucheta Dalal in a TV interview.Something which everybody is aware of but nobody mentions.
She mentioned about the cosy relationship the parties enjoyed about toll collections all over India.
Toll collection has been there for years and her query was why the taking up of cudgels now.
Draw your own inferences.
Regards
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:44   #160
BHPian

Guys, I had a bad experience at Krishnagiri Toll and one more toll afer Vellore towards Chennai in the night. I was on call speaking over the phone and the operator tried to cheat me in the change given. Instead of giving 65 Rs as a change he has given me only 45 Rs at Vellore. INstead of 440 Rs he has given only 40 at Krishnagiri.

Lesson learnt is not to talk over the phone at toll booth.
Old 24th August 2014, 22:52   #161
BANNED

I used this road today. Seems it it not functional anymore.

Well.. Indeed a good news.
Old 14th January 2015, 14:41   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

NH4 - Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai, Chalagere Booth scam

Chalagere Toll booth scam alert: (Mumbai-Bnagalore)

This is the 5th Toll from Bangalore (After JAS, Guilalu, Karveevanahalli, Hebbala).

From Pune, this one comes after Bankapura toll booth, after Ranebennur and before Harihar.

This happened for the 4th time in the last 45 days as I drove Pune/Mumbai 4 times from Bangalore.

The toll amount is 95. No matter you pass a Rs 100 or 500 or 1000 denomination note, you will be asked for Rs.5 change. If you decline, you get the printed toll receipt as usual along with a set of coins.

In a hurry you may only count the notes but not the coins thinking it will be right but NO. You are returned on Rs. 4.

Why am I fussy about 1 Re now?

This happened for the 4th time. My dad counted it after we moved and I said it may have happened by mistake and during the next drive they did that again. So when you say its 4, they take back the coins and return a soiled 5 Rs note (which I am still OK).

This time, I simply got annoyed as it had become a regular occurrence.

The booth attendant was arrogant (despite his mistake) and said a lot of people pass him 4 instead of 5. I said "What am I supposed to do? Why are you passing that on me for that loss?"

I also said - "would you have told you have a rupee less, please adjust, I may have simply continued"

This fella has all the arrogance to say nothing will happen even if we called his manager!!

Now, all 3 of the occupants get down (there was only a truck behind) as it was almost 12:00 midnight. We explain him that the argument and the futile efforts are not for a Rupee but against a con-job that was on since god knows how many months.

A solo driver may never count the coins, most of the times.

I said, If I may, I will stay for the next 2 hours, stopping every car and tell them to count the coins and ensure I ruin their business. A well educated (supposedly) man sporting NHAI Shirt comes walking and I explain him the reason behind our anger. He agrees, apologized (the booth fellow still didn't) and said please move ahead and continue.

I was so angry that other occupants suggested we pull over after the booth for a cup of tea and continue. We did that and reached Bangalore around 2AM.

I am sure I am writing this with the picture of the toll receipt to NHAI and as well posting this on their FB Page to seek answers.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th January 2015 at 14:45.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 15:08   #163
BHPian

Re: NH4 - Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai, Chalagere Booth scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In a hurry you may only count the notes but not the coins thinking it will be right but NO. You are returned on Rs. 4.
This has happened to me twice in Attibele toll both in Bangalore-Hosur NH (Toll is Rs. 25 for single entry). I thought it was a mistake by the operator, but after reading your experience, realise the corruption behind it.
Old 14th January 2015, 19:41   #164
BHPian

Here is a few questions ...

1. What happens if we don't pay toll and drive off. Especially where there is no barrier.
2. Is there a law under which we can be arrested or prosecuted?
3. If so, who has the authority to arrest us? The toll officials, police or traffic police?
4. What is the proof that the toll is not paid? Well, all toll booths don;t have CCTV (I maybe wrong).
5. So, if we don't pay then what is the fine? Or what will the court fine us?

I am asking this because the other day, I happened to come through the Vashi toll in TabCab taxi. The Taxi driver didn't have a pass or sticker, but he simply drove through. The toll boy didn't say anything.
Old 15th January 2015, 00:16   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: NH4 - Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai, Chalagere Booth scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The toll amount is 95. No matter you pass a Rs 100 or 500 or 1000 denomination note, you will be asked for Rs.5 change. If you decline, you get the printed toll receipt as usual along with a set of coins.
This happens @ NICE road toll as well. NICE road entry(EC)-BG road toll is Rs.33 and these guys used to give 1 rupee or two rupees short(not always though). This happens especially when they give back the balance in 1 rupee coins. Now I make sure that I am giving the exact change or I count the balance before moving on. And I have faced this issue at the NICE road entry toll only.

I have send a mail to NHAI on this but didn't get any response.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks