Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 12:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have noticed they now have those barricades too.

Option 1:
Lets do the next tbhp meet on that section. Line up our vehicles there; take a printout of the said article on the newspaper and refuse to pay toll. However, lets clarify this with the traffic police beforehand. Is there any way this can be queried via FB?

Option 2: Same action as done near Sangli (re: info from Swanand). We might need more people though
Edit: and some face masks!

Option 3: Keep chickeining out and paying toll

I'm not from Pune so am not affected right now - but who knows about future?

Why don't you guys file a RTI request immediately? I guess office of the traffic commissioner will be the place to start (RTO authorities also)

The TBHP meet protest is also a good idea, better idea is to take more people (neighbours, colleagues etc.) with cameras and, if possible, press.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

The toll rates for Bangalore to Chennai via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Walajapet, Pallikonda, Sriperembudur etc have been reduced with effect from 15th June. They are less by at least 10 to 15 rs. one way. Do check it out. I was in for a pleasant surprise when I held out the fare as per the Green printed boards They have a new printout with lesser fare displayed at the toll booth.
This does not include the fare for the electronic city flyover, which I heard was going to be increased from 1st July 2011.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:35   #93
BHPian

Mumbai-Pune Expressway - Toll reciept scam?

One of my friends had faced this issue on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. At the first toll booth while going towards Pune, he gave Rs. 165 for the full toll, took the reciept and proceeded. Once he reached the second toll and showed the reciept, it turned out to be a reciept for Rs. 99 only (Till lonavla). He got into an argument with the toll booth guy and finally left without paying.

Since I had heard this incident from him, I became cautious whenever I took the toll reciept from the booth and would always check the date and amount on the reciept. Last weekend while I was coming back to Pune, as usual I paid Rs. 165 for the toll ticket and gave it to my wife to verify. About a 100 feet ahead I realized its for Rs. 99 only. I parked the car on the side and went back to the booth and showed him the ticket. Without saying a thing he gave me another ticket for Rs. 165. There was no apology at all.

This made me think whether this is an ongoing scam, even though at a small scale. How many people really bother to check the toll ticket after getting it? After reaching the second toll booth if you find out you have been cheated, how many actually fight it out? Most people would just pay up again and be on their way.

Be alert guys, check the toll reciept before leaving the toll booth !!!
aviraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 20:28   #94
BHPian

Re: Mumbai-Pune Expressway - Toll reciept scam?

Aviraj, thank you for this info. I travel to Mumbai and back every week. Interestingly, I do have a pile of toll receipts in my car. It would be interesting if I find a rupees 99 one that I have ignored. Will report and will be extra careful about this scam. Thank you once again.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 28th September 2011, 20:38   #95
Team-BHP Support

Good you were let off at the 2nd toll; guess they must be hand-in-glove with the guys at the 1st one.

I was recently travelling on NH4 early in the morning. I paid the necessary amount; the Green light flashed and the guy collecting toll booth had a body language to suggest that I should proceed. It was only after I asked for the receipt that he printed and gave it to me.

Btw, there is a long list of such scams here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2408705

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th September 2011 at 20:40.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this many times in highways when we go out of Bangalore (Except Bangalore-Chennai as you pay to the next toll booth only not for the full run till Chennai). The only way to not get ripped is be attentive and ask questions and read the board indicating how much to pay before entering booth.

I generally ask questions like "Till where this tool is valid" or "where do i have to pay next".

Also keep an eye on what amount has been returned by the guy sitting on the booth, especially when giving larger currency notes like 500/1000 and in a hurry you don't count it fully and sometimes i have noticed 10-50 Rs missing.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:51   #97
Team-BHP Support

Not just the Mum-Pune expressway, it is a given that almost all toll booths in India are involved in some scam or the other. Once while driving to Goa, I approached the toll booth at Kini. It was about 7 in the morning and the attendant said that his printer wasn't working. I told him I was in no hurry and wouldn't mind waiting until he fixes his printer. Within a minute, his printer was fixed.

Imagine if they fleece 50 cars a day for Rs. 66/- at the expressway toll booth, that would be a sum of Rs. 3300/- per day!
Old 29th September 2011, 08:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Be alert guys, check the toll reciept before leaving the toll booth !!!
@aviraj,

Thanks for bringing this to the notice of the BHP forum. I will be travelling with my family next weekend to Pune and will definitely take care of checking the toll receipt.

This is definitely a hand in glove case. Your friend was lucky to be let off the 2nd toll booth or else the toll guys wound not hesitate to call the cops. By letting the friend off clearly shows that the toll operators do know that the receipts of lesser value are being issued. This scam needs to be brought to public attentione through media too.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Aviraj, thank you for this info. I travel to Mumbai and back every week. Interestingly, I do have a pile of toll receipts in my car. It would be interesting if I find a rupees 99 one that I have ignored. Will report and will be extra careful about this scam. Thank you once again.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
@Dueller, If you do find a 99 Rs receipt, keep it handy. Next time you travel and pay toll, ensure that it is for Rs 165. At the next toll station though, show the old 99 Rs one. If he lets you through, it will be interesting to see how this toll operator and the earlier one work out the earnings . Mobi-shoot the entire thing, if you can.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Forget cars, these toll guys earn from Trucks and trailers much more.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Forget cars, these toll guys earn from Trucks and trailers much more.

They may make much more on a per-truck basis but number of cars is a lot more, so overall I don't think they make much more from trucks.

Also commercial vehicle drivers are not as ambivalent as are car drivers - they get wind of the scam and they want their cut too. In fact in expressways with unguarded entry/exit points, they try to avoid the toll points altogether.
Old 19th April 2012, 08:31   #102
J.Ravi

On the night of 17 April 2012, I was driving my Linea from Tufanganj, West Bengal to Boxirhat, Assam. After the border check post, there was a make-shift toll booth, with the board mentioning Rs 6 for cars. I thought it might be a toll for a bridge. So, I stopped my Linea and my wife was searching for coins for Rs 6, while all others were driving non-stop. Then, a person appeared by the left door. When my wife handed over Rs 6, he said, 'Bees [20] rupya, saab'. Then, my wife handed over Rs 20, he walked away without giving the toll receipt. I smelt a rat here. I called him back and asked for receipt. He returned the money back and asked me to proceed!

Old 19th April 2012, 14:12   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I smelt a rat here. I called him back and asked for receipt. He returned the money back and asked me to proceed!
Other than the NH4 toll booths, I usually only pay after I have seen the receipt. Or at least that it is in progress. And I dont shy away from getting out and standing there. If somebody honks, it is only to our advantage as the pressure is on the other guy to finish the transaction fast. I only shrug and point to the toll counter in such cases.

Also for people going to Mahabaleshwar, we have to pay some tax at Panchgani and then again at Mahabaleshwar. Its not toll, but called something else. My question is if I am not visiting Panchgani, how can they charge me for using that pathetic, jammed up road in Panchgani town? I am ok with paying municipal tax if I am staying or holidaying there. Not otherwise. And especially not ok, if there is a chance someone is pocketing that money. Heck, even I can put up a couple of chairs and print a few booklets.
Old 19th April 2012, 14:19   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

In related news, the Chandni Chowk toll on Paud Road has been hiked to Rs. 20! (was 18/- early). Boggles the mind how a so-called illegal tollbooth has the audacity to operate openly cocking a snook to the authorities. They continue to let people through who act as if they "belong". It's only poor unsuspecting law-abiding folks who pay up. Ridiculous!
Old 19th April 2012, 14:53   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In related news, the Chandni Chowk toll on Paud Road has been hiked to Rs. 20! (was 18/- early). Boggles the mind how a so-called illegal tollbooth has the audacity to operate openly cocking a snook to the authorities. They continue to let people through who act as if they "belong". It's only poor unsuspecting law-abiding folks who pay up. Ridiculous!
I thought so too. Till I accompanied a friend in his car on that route. He pointed to a sticker on his windshield given by a housing society in what I called 'neverland'. I think he bought a flat somewhere near Rohan Windsor. He was allowed to pass without paying.
Now I need to get copies of that sticker and sell them. Good business idea!

I am not saying everyone who passes has stickers. Seen too much around these parts to have my head buried that deep in the sand. Amit and I tried to raise a RTI query for this, but we didnt have the time to see it through, primarily due to personal commitments.
In any case, our local corporator had picked it up, so need to go and see him about. Damn, I should have spoken to him when he was campaigning during the recent elections.

Edit: I also had a discussion with an attendant at the Khed Shivapur toll plaza on All Fools Day.
Me: how much how you guys hiked the toll now?
Him: 105 bucks return
Me: I only want to go to Nasrapur which is 5 km from here. Why should I pay full fare
Him: What to do saar, many people have this complaint
Me: Ok, I know you cannot do much. How much was it yesterday before the hike?
Him: 65 bucks return.
Me: and then gathering my wits.
Him: What saar, you people have only encouraged these people by using tolled roads.
Me: Is there an alternate route I can take? Or do you think I should be doing what was done in Sangli a couple of years ago
Him: Sheepish laugh

Totally pointless to have only tolled roads everywhere. If I pay toll for most roads, then what do I pay road tax for? And what about my other taxes, where do they go? In getting fancy SUVs for them politicos?
I should stop typing before I rant more. Dont want an infraction!

Last edited by selfdrive : 19th April 2012 at 15:04.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks