Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 16:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Don't step on the gas on Bangalore roads

I wouldn't mind this rule if it applied equally to CABS, BMTC buses and PRIVATE VEHICLES all alike. BTP has a faecebook page where they're surprsingly answering to posts or complaints. But, they never bothered to comment on my post indicating why CABS and BMTC buses are exempt from the traffic rules? Is it the local lingo or brothers-from-same-mothers attitude? Hyuk! HYuk! Hyuk!
Old 9th December 2011, 16:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dont's step on the gas on Bangalore roads

The speed restrictions, although a good initiative, are slightly impractical. On some roads, at some times, 60 km/hr is too less.

I dream of a day when drivers are educated on the rule/etiquettes of driving first rather than fines being levied. How long do we try to control the problem; we need to prevent it first.

The "test" conducted during temp. DL is hog-wash, how about streghtening that first. As much as I appreciate what BTP is doing to contain errant driving (speed restrictions, anti drunk-driving), I really wish they did something about ensuring drivers adhere to rules.

But, as 1 cop once told me, "the job of the police is not to educate people but correct people". So, makes sense. They get the fines to complete their quota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
We went to airport recently on one of the cabs, he knew (everyone in that cab company knows once any cab driver notices an interceptor) where all radars were with interceptor and made sure he slowed down to 80 in those stretches and touched 100 on all other stretch.
There are classes of vehicles which will be the most affected by this rule : the Volvo buses and cabs. You don't see either of them driving within rules. And as mayank as pointed out, for those who travel on the same route every day, the location of the interceptor becomes apparent and if one guy figures it out, everyone does.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I wouldn't want anything or anyone tracking me or my vehicle anywhere in the world. Nobody needs to know where I am or what I am upto. Another reason why I refuse to be (biometric) scanned for the UID or NPR programs.
I respect everyone's privacy but was talking about tracking on public roads, that too limited to few officials only to trace violations. Anyways, its only a thought.
Old 9th December 2011, 17:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

There are classes of vehicles which will be the most affected by this rule : the Volvo buses and cabs. You don't see either of them driving within rules. And as mayank as pointed out, for those who travel on the same route every day, the location of the interceptor becomes apparent and if one guy figures it out, everyone does.
The trick is, the cops must think one step ahead instead of being lethargic. I see many cops showing no interest in actually controlling traffic. One example is on Double Road Shantinagar.

I couldn't have stressed on this more.

The cops need to be smart in what they do. They need to be quick off their feet and quick in the head. They're street-smart that's for sure. But they don't realize that they're dealing with a million people on the road everyday! They have to come up with new ways of controlling traffic and out-wit perpetually-erring commuters.
Old 9th December 2011, 17:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The trick is, the cops must think one step ahead instead of being lethargic. I see many cops showing no interest in actually controlling traffic. One example is on Double Road Shantinagar.

I couldn't have stressed on this more.

The cops need to be smart in what they do. They need to be quick off their feet and quick in the head. They're street-smart that's for sure. But they don't realize that they're dealing with a million people on the road everyday! They have to come up with new ways of controlling traffic and out-wit perpetually-erring commuters.
And they need something extremely important to do that - the will to control traffic and ensure vehicles follow rules.

Right now - fines are collected primarily with the intention of completing their monthly quota; NOT to teach the drivers a lesson. When the cops are in the mood to earn some money, you'll be surprised at how proactive and quick they are. When they aren't in the mood, you could break rules under their nose and they wouldn't care less.
Old 9th December 2011, 17:47   #21
BHPian

Heard of a possible transport company strike in Bangalore starting 11th Dec because of these restrictions. Speed restrictions make sense but, having uniform speeds everywhere even on highways is not sensible. You can make it a mandate that people need to travel as per the max speed restriction of the road they are on.

At the same time, there should be more emphasis on jay walking, illegal or double parking, lane cutting, etc. These mistakes cause more mishaps than a purely speeding vehicle.
Old 9th December 2011, 18:36   #22
BHPian

My take is that these rules apply and make sense only when many other things are in place. Our roads are completely in tatters, foolish behavior by pedestrians are not curtailed, there are no footpaths for pedestrians, unscientific and unplanned construction work everywhere are common things that we see daily. Just making people go slower is not the need of the hour. All the earlier mentioned points if taken care of would bring down the accident rate and chaos by a huge margin. Curbing speed in my view has importance only after these are in place.

Unscientific placement of bus stops, parking areas etc contribute to traffic chaos as lane discipline etc become very difficult to follow. All these need to be solved at a planning and design level first rather than going around and fining people. And like any other tough problem, these need some good thinking unlike just putting up fines. And our officialdom is not known for smart thinking anyway.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:36   #23
BHPian

Very good idea! however, the catch is, How is BTP going to implement this?

Facts:
1. The Interceptors do not work under low light conditions i.e. they are defunct at night.
2. The cams mounted on the signals are designed for surveillance and not for speed detection.
3. The only speed cam I have seen in Blr is on Cubbon Road/kamraj Rd jn.
4. BTP doesnt have Speedguns/radar guns.
5. What about ORR with long open stretches/flyovers (once they are done!!!).

So, although, it sounds like a plan for a safer city, there's very little on the implementation front. Yes, it will indeed curb daylight speeding. Then again, during peak hours, we can hardly touch 40kmph in the city! So, the cabbies shunting at night will still have a gala time.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:42   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Facts:
1. The Interceptors do not work under low light conditions i.e. they are defunct at night.
Huh?! What exactly are the Interceptors doing on the BIAL road at night then?

Quote:
2. The cams mounted on the signals are designed for surveillance and not for speed detection.
See below.

Quote:
4. BTP doesnt have Speedguns/radar guns.
Huh?! I have seen and people on T-BHP have reported being handed a print-out of their car with the speed mentioned at the bottom to contest that they were in fact over-speeding.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

For the first time my Nano is a fast car now !!
If anyone finds a sunshine yellow overtaking your expensive sedan or hatch, please dont feel bad. You cant use your 5th gear anyway
Old 9th December 2011, 19:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Huh?! What exactly are the Interceptors doing on the BIAL road at night then?

See below.

Huh?! I have seen and people on T-BHP have reported being handed a print-out of their car with the speed mentioned at the bottom to contest that they were in fact over-speeding.
1.In my numerous Airport runs, I have never seen a Interceptor at night. Unless they have upgraded their equipment recently, I still believe that the light issue holds good.
Otherwise, Apols for the confusion.

2. I am the recipient of 2 such notices. Both from Interceptors. With a entry in the Blackberry+a printed Bill + a print out of me breaking the rule.
One funny thing to note was : while the cop was pulling my details on his BB, I couldnt see my previous speeding violation in the list! It was a fresh entry!
So, during the day, on some special roads (Old Airport RD, Command Hospital area, etc), Interceptors still get a catch. However, areas of speeding in Blr city limits have either been identified by the regulars or are no more so!
Old 9th December 2011, 19:49   #27
BHPian

BTP forgot to add one rule to the list.

i.e; If you see an over-enthusiastic traffic sentry or his S.I trying to suicide by jumping out of no where in front of your car/bike FINE him Rs 500 for attempted suicide.

Yes, this happens frequently with me namely on these roads;

1)Kasturba Road -- Wide long stretch.
2)V.V Puram entrance road
3)J.C road
4)Nandidurga road

& that too when Im well within the speed limit.
Old 9th December 2011, 20:01   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

For once, I would welcome this move.

Before everybody pounces on me, let me explain. We can always debate that something else is more important and the constraints in implementation and how the system is rotten and all that. At the same time, IMHO traffic discipline needs to start from somewhere. Putting formal speed-limits, announcing them and creating awareness about it is a good start.
Old 9th December 2011, 20:23   #29
BANNED

Talk about ESP!! Just today while driving to office I fleetingly day-dreamed up a scenario where I got stopped by an Interceptor for speeding violation when doing just below 80. In that dream, I was being told by the policeman that the speed limit is actually 60, to my protestations and disbelief!!

And I swear I did not know or hear about this new rule until I saw this thread!!

The interceptors on BIAL will stop you if you cross 80 FYI. I got waved down and when I asserted I was below 80, they said it was a mistaken signal for me to stop and let me off.

--Ragul
Old 9th December 2011, 21:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Going fast in the right direction is way safer than driving slow in the opposite direction. Dear Cops, please stop that and the stop light jumpers and you've solved half your safety issues. Also, stop being predictable. I was stopped by an interceptor on BIA road (towards BLR) 2 yrs ago..guess what, they still stand at the same spot. you need hidden speed cameras. not ones that can be spotted from a km away. Also, stop being lazy and actually be on the move to catch offenders rather than stand in one place and wait for offences to happen. I can cite multiple situations but whats the point really.
Cops are meant to bring a scare to offenders. that situation is long gone. please get back that respect and then see people reduce violations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks